UKC

hertfordshire climbs...?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
fruteborce 18 Apr 2011
Hello climbers

I want to get out and around to start climbing/bouldering and wanted to ask if anyone living in the Hertfordshire area knows of any local crags. I'm a little restricted you see- I don't have any climbing friends or a car to travel around with so would need to stay local...So does anyone local know of anything I can go at...? (I'm in Hemel Hempstead by the way)

Cheers !
 FreeloaderJoe 18 Apr 2011
In reply to fruteborce: Hoho. Not the ideal spot. There is pretty much zero within 50 miles of Watfordy/Hemel.

Do a different hobby.
 Reach>Talent 18 Apr 2011
In reply to fruteborce:
I've got bad news, your nearest crag is 20 miles away and not very good...

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=3453

There is other stuff about but not really very 'safe', as in they'll fall on your head if you breathe near them.

I'd pimp yourself out on here for a partner with a car!
 nniff 18 Apr 2011
In reply to fruteborce:

The most encouraging thing about Hertfordshire is that both the A5 and the M1 go through it and both lead to climbing, as do the railways. Join a club - it's not too far to the Peak

I grew up there - I resorted to chipping an old railway bridge.
 Reach>Talent 18 Apr 2011
In reply to nniff:
Chipping? BURN THE HERETIC! In all fairness compared to most of the other climbing in Hertfordshire vandalising a railway bridge is probably the sane option
fruteborce 18 Apr 2011
In reply to FreeloaderJoe:

hmmm...yeah that does suck. I'm pretty keen to stick with climbing though.
fruteborce 18 Apr 2011
In reply to Reach>Talent:

Yeah will look in to doing that.

I've had look through some of the posts actually and it seems like a whenever someone offers free instruction their offers get snapped up immediately ! Will see how it goes.

Cheers
In reply to fruteborce: hey im from there too (at uni at Hatfield) nothing really round here i'd did hear the other day you can get a train down to southern sandstone via london east croydon i think

wheres this railway bridge you talk of i was almost tempted to do one the other day its getting desperate
 Tom Last 18 Apr 2011
> (In reply to fruteborce)
> I've got bad news, your nearest crag is 20 miles away and not very good...
>
> http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=3453

What the hell are you talking about Mike - it's the crucible of hard Hertfordshire climbing as well you know!

OP: Herts is a dead loss mate. There's a 15 foot outcrop of conglomerate near Hertford - but it's more sand than pebbles and you're very definitely not allowed on it. There's the magnificent Met Police Fishery in Cheshunt that mkean pointed out and there's the odd bridge about.

Shame they moved Temple Bar back to Paternoster Square really - now Bedfordshire, that's a different matter!
 Tom Last 18 Apr 2011

Funny thing is Mike, climbing 'culture' was more a part of my life with our climbing chats on the way to Harlow with you than it is now - good sessions those. Not complaining mind you, there's very definitely more rock hereabouts!
fruteborce 18 Apr 2011
In reply to Southern Man:

That Met Police Fishery thing you mention...

"went down today 19.07.08 and covered in glossy graffiti. very overgrown. would say it's not worth the effort even if you live next to it...."
http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=3453

Now that leaves us with...erm, nothing! Looks like I'll be needing to go a little further afield

Tom Last 18 Apr 2011
In reply to fruteborce:

Yeah the Met Police Fishery recommendations definitely need to be taken with a pinch of salt

The 'routes' were done mostly by me one very desperate winter - I hope the descriptions impart something of their, um, quality. I wouldn't want people wasting their petrol.

There is chalk around if that's your bag.
 DancingOnRock 18 Apr 2011
In reply to fruteborce: Have you thought of walking down here:
http://www.phaselswood.org.uk/climbingwall.html
Big Chris 18 Apr 2011
> - now Bedfordshire, that's a different matter!

Climbing in Bedforshire? - Where, please tell me where?
 Tom Last 18 Apr 2011
In reply to Big Chris:

Chalk in Luton etc, never done any myself - don't imagine it's that great.

Sorry, I'm gonna leave this thread now and stop getting people's hopes up
 Doug 19 Apr 2011
In reply to Southern Man: I tried climbing in one of the chalk quarries near Ivinghoe back in the 70s, never went back...
 Reach>Talent 19 Apr 2011
Chalk in Luton etc, never done any myself - don't imagine it's that great.

I'm thinking of having a quick look at the one you pointed out on google maps when I get back from France
 Tru 19 Apr 2011
"There's a 15 foot outcrop of conglomerate near Hertford"

Is this the pile of sand/pebbles in Waterford marsh? The nature reserve that was once a quarry?

When I first saw it from a distance it looked climbable; I thought I had stumbled on some overhanging bouldering right on my doorstep, then I tried climbing on it and nearly pulled the whole thing down.

There are a few brick railway bridges in the same area that would make great DIY climbing walls like a mini version of the tunnel in Barcelona.
 Tom Last 20 Apr 2011

Good lucky matey, let me know how it goes!
 Tom Last 20 Apr 2011
In reply to Tru:

Hi Tru, yes that's the one! That was my reaction as well, I was well near having spasms of delight as I approached - before the reality set in. Nice spot though

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...