UKC

THE LOWDOWN: MacLeod climbs 7 of 9

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Dave Macleod sending Seven of Nine, V14, Glen Nevis, 4 kbThose of us who are following Dave MacLeod's blog know it has been a struggle, those of you who haven't can go there and read all about it, but now, finally, Dave has been able to make the first ascent of what he believes to be his most difficult boulder problem yet Seven of nine, V14/8B+, at Glen...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=61894
 franksnb 27 Apr 2011
In reply to Björn Pohl - UKC: If i remember correctly 7 of 9 was quite tall and hard too (sad, sad, star trek reference). looks good dave nice one.
 daveyw 27 Apr 2011
In reply to Björn Pohl - UKC:

Well done Dave- Britain's best climber?

*spoiler alert*

I like the last 20 seconds of climbing vid when you can only see his feet shuffling- that induced top out hell sympathies (not that i've ever topped out a V14!)
 Alun 27 Apr 2011
In reply to daveyw:

i like the conversation:

"you okay?"

"no"

:O
 Roberttaylor 27 Apr 2011
In reply to Björn Pohl - UKC: Who knew MacLeod was a closet trekker.
 Roberttaylor 27 Apr 2011
In reply to Björn Pohl - UKC: He must be out of his vulcan mind.
 Dave Garnett 27 Apr 2011

He says he isn't sure whether it's a highball or a solo. Unless the angle is misleading there doesn't seem much doubt to me! In fact, this must be higher than loads of hard grit E-graded routes, and less jump offable (think of the video of Adam Long bailing out of Angel's Share, for instance). So is just more fashionable to give it a V grade?
 Rich Guest 27 Apr 2011

Increadible talent, very inpiring...

I've never heard fingerpicking as good as that!

Seriously though, that is obviously VERY hard climbing and you made it look fairly steady.

Well done that man!!
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Looks higher than Hubble to me!

jcm

Nice one David all well and good, but now time to get your arse in gear and get the super route on Orkney in the bag.
 Dave Garnett 27 Apr 2011
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

Quite. I'm getting very out of touch with all this; does V14 mean it would be E14 if you tied on to a rope but didn't use mats?

Wee Davie 27 Apr 2011

Great stuff.
 ericinbristol 27 Apr 2011

Dave Mac says on his blog that it is harder than Hubble. And he did it without a rope. Mind-boggling.
 fionn 27 Apr 2011

Amazing.

He the man.
 Harry Ellis 27 Apr 2011
 RupertD 27 Apr 2011
In reply to ericinbristol:
> (In reply to Björn Pohl - UKC)
>
> Dave Mac says on his blog that it is harder than Hubble. And he did it without a rope. Mind-boggling.

No, he says that someone else who hasn't done Hubble and hasn't done this problem, told him that it was harder. I.e. who knows?

This problem looks good though, and high.
 @ndyM@rsh@ll 27 Apr 2011
In reply to Dave Garnett:
> (In reply to Björn Pohl - UKC)
>
> So is just more fashionable to give it a V grade?

Seems like it's just way more sensible to me.
 Wee Davie 27 Apr 2011
In reply to RupertD:

>No, he says that someone else who hasn't done Hubble and hasn't done this problem, told him that it was harder. I.e. who knows?

Are you being sarcastic?
He says in his blog that Dave 'Cubby' Cuthbertson had done the moves on Hubble and also tried what is now 7 of 9. Given that Cubby had direct experience of both routes I reckon Cubby's in a very good position to judge the relative difficulty.

Fraser 27 Apr 2011
In reply to Wee Davie:

To be fair though, it probably wasn't yesterday when Cubby tried Hubble!
 Wee Davie 27 Apr 2011
In reply to Fraser:

Probably wasn't yesterday when he tried this line either, unless the injuries have recovered?
I was only half watching the videoo and missed the captions, so I thought the first one was him sending the V14.

When the second clip started I thought - hmm, a bit sketchier, must be one of his falls! Then I realised it was actually the FA of the V14 - amazing how dynamic and accurate he can be above a big fall. Immense mind control. Good skills Dave!
In reply to Wee Davie:

no; he's pointing out that since Dave didn't actually do either, he can't know for sure. Rupert's summary was entirely factual and accurate. Also, since he's nearer to doing Hubble than most, he's aware of the fact that doing the 'moves' on Hubble is not even half the battle.

Mind you, it's certainly true that Dave is in a better position to know what V14 is that most. I'll bet this piece of climbing is absolutely brick hard and it looks fully terrifying. The nearest comparison I can think of south of the border is High Fidelity, which is probably easier and certainly not as scary!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...