UKC

Stanage for 3,5 days - how many ticks?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 iforwms 27 Apr 2011
I'm off to Stanage to celebrate the Royal Wedding, how many routes is a good target to aim for per day (leading, placing gear not soloing)?

I'm hoping to move on from VS and get a handful of HVS's done, as well as maybe my first E1...

-Ifor
 Postmanpat 27 Apr 2011
In reply to iforwms:
> I'm off to Stanage to celebrate the Royal Wedding, how many routes is a good target to aim for per day (leading, placing gear not soloing)?
>
> I'm hoping to move on from VS and get a handful of HVS's done, as well as maybe my first E1...
>
> -Ifor

Sam Marks 27 Apr 2011
In reply to iforwms: I've just been for almost three days with two friends and taking it in turns to lead, I did 21 routes including my first e1 aswell!
 Stefan Kruger 27 Apr 2011
In reply to iforwms:

If you're genuinely pushing your grade on every route, you'd do well to reach double figures..
XXXX 27 Apr 2011
In reply to iforwms:

Depends if you go off the paths and whether you're wearing full leg cover or not.
 Jon Stewart 27 Apr 2011
In reply to Eric the Red: Beat me to it. B*stard.
 Alun 27 Apr 2011
In reply to Eric the Red:
> Depends if you go off the paths and whether you're wearing full leg cover or not.

My first thought too!
OP iforwms 27 Apr 2011
In reply to iforwms: Well I don't have a dog, so I guess that reduces the ticks available...
 Sam Marks 27 Apr 2011
In reply to Stefan Kruger: I dont see why it would be hard to reach double figures even if your puching your grade on every route. Just dont waist time! You could probably do some solouing as well if VS isnt your top grade but you want to some VS routes.
 Jon Stewart 27 Apr 2011
In reply to Sam Marks: Yep, if the OP likes soloing, I'd recommend doing some of the classic easy routes without a rope, e.g. Heaven Crack, Balcony Buttress, Hollybush Crack, RHRHBD (big wide crack) etc. I wouldn't personally recommend o/s soloing VS to someone pushing for a first E1 though.
 EeeByGum 27 Apr 2011
In reply to iforwms: I did 30 VS's in a day at Stanage a couple of years ago. I was absolutely knackered by the end of if and there are one or two sandbags so watch out. 20 - 30 climbs however is perfectly achievable if you don't faff around though. It is when you keep stopping for a p1ss / sandwitch / sit down / natter at the end of each climb that makes you only climb 6 in a day.
 Lee Sutcliffe 27 Apr 2011
In reply to iforwms: I went for the first time a couple of weeks ago, managed to do 8 routes (4 leads), fairly easy going. Could easily of done another 2 if we didn't faff about in between routes
 Sam Marks 27 Apr 2011
In reply to Jon Stewart: yeh i guess id agree although there are some sound solos at around HS, VS grade near hot spur, even if you are pushing for first E1. Not too high and at a nice angle.
 sandy 27 Apr 2011
In reply to iforwms: Each to their own I suppose, but I'd rather have a good day composed of some climbing, some eating, some chatting, some just watching others and enjoying the view, than be rushing to try and cram as many routes as possible in...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...