UKC

NEW ARTICLE: OBITUARY: James William Fullalove (Dan Boon)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 03 May 2011
JAMES WILLIAM FULLALOVE, 4 kbDoug Scott pays tribute to James William Fullalove.

"His genius stretched beyond singing. He was, in fact, one of the unsung heroes of British climbing about whom we should know more in the opinion of his many friends, now scattered all over the world, who recall time spent in his company as being very special..."

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=3696

Stu Tyrrell 03 May 2011
In reply to UKC Articles: More pictures coming up!
In reply to UKC Articles:

Lovely article - thank you.

Explains something I've always wondered about - in his essay in Hard Rock on Ichabod Alan Austin says something like 'I had Daniel Boone's word for it. "It's steep up there but there's a jug. Take your time and work it out.".' I always wondered who Daniel Boone was.

jcm
 Stu Tyrrell 04 May 2011
In reply to UKC Articles:

What wasn't answered was how he got the moniker "Dan Boone". Anyone?

ALC
 sutty 04 May 2011
In reply to Stu Tyrrell:

Good article, and seeing him on Cow Rib in big boots as well and no visible runners is amazing. I did at least get a line runner on somewhere and pair of kletts.

You seem to have been official photographer around that time, think your collection must be one of the biggest around.
 Stu Tyrrell 04 May 2011
In reply to sutty: Hi Sutty, no I have just uploaded some pics for other people who cant do it, some I don't have data. This is a good Obit from Doug, he is a natural.

Stu
 Mick Ward 04 May 2011
In reply to a lakeland climber:

> What wasn't answered was how he got the moniker "Dan Boone". Anyone?

As I recall, in Dennis Gray's first book, 'Rope Boy', circa 1970, he mentions that one night he was climbing at Almscliffe. A lad with a slightly odd hat was following them, soloing. Dennis affectionately christened him Dan Boone. When they'd finished climbing, they offered him a lift. From the back of the van,he burst out, "My name's not Dan Boone - it's Jim Fullalove!" Of course this meant that Dan Boone was gonna stick!

So Dennis dreamed it up. I met him a couple of times, in Bradford, in the mid 1970s. I knew him as Jim.

Was gutted to read of his demise but agree, a great valediction from Doug Scott and others.

Jim was a complex guy, with an awful lot to give to the world. I suspect that Dennis was right and his work with the Citizens Advice Bureau would have given him fulfillment and brought out his decency and compassion.

Rest in peace, Jim.

Mick
 Stu Tyrrell 16 May 2011

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...