UKC

Which rope?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
northern_hamish 05 May 2011
Hi everyone,
Basically i need your advice on what first rope to buy, Outdoors I do mainly top roping at Bowles rock and High rocks (Tunbridge wells), I would also be using the rope in the gym, and lastly would be taking the rope on a sports climbing holiday this summer, possibly spain.
These are the two ropes I've got my eye on, what are your opinions?
http://www.v12outdoor.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1937
http://www.tiso.com/shop/beal/edlinger_ii_102mm_x_60m/

Thanks in advance
 jkarran 05 May 2011
In reply to joshfinz:

Both are perfectly good ropes. In general I've found that with age the Mammut ropes get quite stiff and cable like but tend to outlast the softer nicer feeling Beal. I have that Mammut rope (or at least the 70m version), besides the psychedelic pattern there's nothing wrong with it that putting it on a diet wouldn't fix

Basically: Either, they're both good. Though personally I'd tend toward the nicer handling Beal if you're going to be looking after it real nice. If you're going to be hard on it I'd tend toward the tighter woven Mammut.

jk
 Dean177 05 May 2011
In reply to joshfinz:
In my opinion, neither.
Both of those places you mentioned dont have any routes longer than 20m, and even the highest indoor climbing wall in the uk is less than 25m.
The vast majority of routes in the entire of the UK only require a 50m rope.
It will save you some money, and as it will be your only rope it will take wear being used all the time, so when it comes to it it will be cheaper to replace.
So my advice is save some money and go with a 50m rope at most.
Brandwise both of those ropes are pretty much equivalent, so pretty much just get the colour you like best.
northern_hamish 05 May 2011
In reply to Dean177:
Thanks again guys, As for the 50m vs 60m debate, wouldnt it be better to have a 60m rope for some of the sports climbs in spain, most likely siurana?
Josh
 jkarran 05 May 2011
In reply to joshfinz:

Yes it would, 60m is very useful on the Spanish limestone. Drop that requirement and I'd have suggested something similar but cheap in the 30-40m range.

jk
Tiso Ratho 05 May 2011
In reply to joshfinz:
Josh,
I think that 60m is the way to go and they make up the vast majority of our single rope sales. To be fair we do have some 30m routes in the EICA arena but I think customers just prefer the flexibility a longer rope gives you.
If you are on a budget then it might be worth considering a Tendon Smart 60m rope - can't fault them.

Regards,
Tiso Ratho

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...