UKC

NEWS: Monsal Trail - New Route for the Peak

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 10 May 2011
The Chee Tor tunnel, 3 kbWork is being finalised on an extension to the Monsal Trail in the Peak District, taking the route from Bakewell to Wye Dale near Buxton, a distance of more than eight miles. The new improved route will be officially unveiled by transport minister Norman Baker on 25 May 2011.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=62075
 Alex Mason 10 May 2011
In reply to UKC News: will acesss to the wateer cum jolly cornice be quicker too? ive seen some blocked up tunnels there.
 Jimbo C 10 May 2011
In reply to Alex Mason:
> (In reply to UKC News) will acesss to the wateer cum jolly cornice be quicker too? ive seen some blocked up tunnels there.

Could be. It looks like the plan includes 2 blocked up tunnels between Cressbrook and Litton Mill: http://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/index/visiting/cycle/cycling-information/ped...

On another note, I'd be interested to find out what light fittings they're using in the tunnels and if they'll be on 24-7.

Jonny2vests 11 May 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Excellent news. Since my youth I've wondered what was on the other side of that tunnel at Chee Tor.
 rocksol 11 May 2011
In reply to UKC News:
So the tunnels are open,[again]. That means hundreds of cyclists, walkers horses etc etc all vying for space on the footpath & making more noise and impact on the quiet of the dale. It will be like the other overcrowded & ruined bike trails such as Tissington. I,d like to see the tunnels blocked, the boardwalk & stepping stones removed & a sign saying it,s necessary to wade to follow the dale. That would protect the environment & keep things quiet.
By the way has anyone else noticed the increased noise & litter since the new access was opened.
Just a miserable old git!!
 toad 11 May 2011
In reply to rocksol: and that Julia Bradbury, she's no better than she should be with her walking and her talking and her bloomin enthusiasm for disused railway paths
In reply to Alex Mason:

Yep they're some of the tunnels that will be opened so will be quicker.... you could even cycle through to get there
 blurty 11 May 2011
In reply to rocksol:

> Just a miserable old git!!

You just need to learn to share, like your mummy said

Joe Costello 11 May 2011
In reply to UKC News: Am I right in thinking that the tunnels are already open but the "official" opening is the 25th May? Certainly the bike hire place near Cheedale was open the other days and would seem a bit pointless opening it if the trail isn't open?
 Michael Ryan 11 May 2011
In reply to Joe Costello:

They were closed yesterday when I took the photos Joe.

Official press day is this Friday.

I'll try and find out.

Mick
 Keith Sharples 11 May 2011
Can confirm that access into WCJ Cornice will NOT be quicker using tunnel from the Cressbrook Mill end.

Light were on this evening at 21:30. Obviously the c.£2.5M budget was insufficient for photocell technology to be included within the scheme. Group switching may have been included to kill the lights after dark/set time? Also assume that there'll be insufficient funds to paint the pedestrian fencing along the top of the embankment just prior to where the path drops down to the Cornice. This being so, we'll have to make do with the visual polution that is a gnarly galvanised fence...
 Si dH 12 May 2011
In reply to Keith Sharples:
Im confused about how this is going to make access an easier to any of the cheedale crags. If climbing at the upper end you park up that way anyway and wouldnt want to go through the tunnel, if at the lower end (cornice / tor) you park at the other end of the dale or on the side of the road at the top of the hill above the muddy path. Why would you use these tunnels, surely even if they provide a fast path all along the dale it will still take much longer approaching the cornice from the upper end?
Not that it really matters since access is fairly easy anyway.

I cant understand why any walkers would use the new path given that the riverside one is one of the nicest walks in the area.
 Adam Long 12 May 2011
In reply to Si dH:

A few reasons you might prefer the new path to access the Cornice/ Chee Tor - parking at Wormhill is limited and often full (as Sunday before last - even all the spaces right up into the village). The Wormhill path occasionally turns into a slippy quagmire which is barely passable without slipping over and covering yourself in mud. Its actually pretty surprising how much quicker the railway is when approaching from Miller's Dale - I reckon if you're going to the Nook it will be the fastest approach full stop.
 gethin_allen 13 May 2011
In reply to Joe Costello:
I spoke to a friend involved in the project and was told that the unofficial opening was yesterday afternoon.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 13 May 2011
In reply to gethin_allen:

It was shut when we were down there yesterday pm.

Chris
 gethin_allen 13 May 2011
In reply to Chris Craggs:
Strange, I was definitely told it was it was going to be opened yesterday afternoon and that I should get down there and have a look before the hoards arrive.
What time were you down there?
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 13 May 2011
In reply to gethin_allen:

We were down there between about 11:00 and 4:00. On our way back out (to Wormhill) we quizzed some walkers who had just come down from the railway line and they said it was closed.

Chris
 gethin_allen 13 May 2011
In reply to UKC News:
If I wasn't working all weekend I'd fancy a walk down there but i guess it will have to wait.
 Luke.addison 14 May 2011
In reply to Jimbo C:

> On another note, I'd be interested to find out what light fittings they're using in the tunnels and if they'll be on 24-7.

They're not on 24/7, I think they turn off early evening, (according to the sign)

I'm really excited for this, being able to cycle from my house to an excellent climbing venue. YEAHHH!
 Simon 14 May 2011
In reply to Chris Craggs:

The official opening of four former railway tunnels on the Monsal Trail is due to be performed by transport minister Norman Baker on 25 May 2011.

http://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/index/visiting/cycle/monsaltrail.htm

Si
In reply to UKC News: All the tunnels were open today, ran from bakewell to topley pike and back, with a mix of walkers, cyclists and more than a few horse riders coaxing their mounts through the tunnels!
 gethin_allen 14 May 2011
In reply to Simon:
Pointing out the obvious there.
Quoting from the news article:-
"The new improved route will be officially unveiled by transport minister Norman Baker on 25 May 2011."

I trust my source and maintain (despite having not been there myself yet) that the tunnels should now be open.
 gethin_allen 14 May 2011
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:
well that proves my point.
thanks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...