UKC

Do you have a ganglion on the palm of your hand?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 steve2006 11 May 2011
Hi

I was hoping someone has historically had the same symptom. Is there a cure? (Will is go away with a bit of R&R)?

I have a bump in the center of my left hand palm, it is on the tendon of my wedding ring finger, roughly in the ‘the life line’ area of my hand.

Basically, is it likely that this is a climbing ‘injury’ (as I also have tennis elbow) ?

thanks Steve
 tlm 11 May 2011
In reply to steve2006:

There was a whole article about this not long ago...

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1312
In reply to steve2006: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganglion_cyst

I had a ganglion at the base of the middle finger on my right hand (where finger joins palm). I had it removed surgically and it's never recurred. It was unrelated to climbing in my case since it occurred before I took up the sport.

I'd see a doctor about it if I were you. If it's a ganglion it won't go away on it's own and if it isn't they'll be able to give you better advice than you'll get from a climbing forum.
Hugh 11 May 2011
In reply to graphiclunarkid: It may be Dupuytren's Contracture. Google it and it should be obvious.
 lowersharpnose 11 May 2011
In reply to steve2006:

Is it hard or soft?
 staceyjg 11 May 2011
In reply to steve2006:

I have a ganglion on the back of both of my hands, its more pronounced on my right than my left, I find it can actually come in useful on fist jams!
 Lankyman 11 May 2011
In reply to steve2006: Hi Steve. I've got one on my right hand - it's been there for several years and I've also had/got tendonitis in both elbows from over-training many years ago. It's just a small, hard lump and doesn't bother me and hasn't ever got bigger or painful so I don't worry about it.
 Fraser 11 May 2011
In reply to Hugh:
> (In reply to graphiclunarkid) It may be Dupuytren's Contracture.

Agreed - I think that sounds pretty likely from the OP.
 peteruk 11 May 2011
In reply to steve2006: I had a ganglion on my wrist and it went away on its own accord after about 8 weeks.
 sianabanana 11 May 2011
In reply to steve2006:
My one on the back of my hand comes and goes every few years, the last one lasting for about 6 months.

At the end it was quite painful and then one day after a climbing sesh i noticed it had gone. Must have ruptured it.

If it isnt causing you a problem i would leave it but if its is painful see the doctor. But they do say they reoccurr quite often, so might be a waste of time.
OP steve2006 12 May 2011
In reply to tlm: thanks this was exactly what I need to read. I was considering ignoring it but now I will consult a doctor.
ashaw 12 May 2011
In reply to steve2006: hi mate if its bothering you i would see someone I have one on my shoulder which is about the size of a table tennis ball and been there more than 4 years or so ithat i can remember doesnt hurt just looks odd!!
 tlm 12 May 2011
In reply to steve2006:
> (In reply to tlm) thanks this was exactly what I need to read. I was considering ignoring it but now I will consult a doctor.

Mind you, my hubby and his dad both have it and don't have any problems, and I have it (so small, you can't see it, just feel it) in one hand and it doesn't seem to get any worse... in fact, I've met quite a lot of people who don't do anything at all about it and it doesn't cause them problems...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...