UKC

NEWS: Adam Ondra Back At Malham

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 13 May 2011
Adam Ondra Cries Freedom, 4 kbKeith Sharples reports: "A year ago the young top gun that is Adam Ondra blasted into The (Yorkshire) Dales and all but mopped-up. Well guess what? – He's back and straight down to work above the Malham Catwalk..."

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=62186
 Ben Thorne 13 May 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Inspiring stuff.

One point though - the table shows Overshadow as F8b, yet it's mentioned at F9a+/b elsewhere (captioned on the McClure photo on Keith's blog).

What grade is it?
 KarlH 13 May 2011
In reply to UKC News: Why does he keep messing around on those bolted limestone routes? Any climber worth his salt proves himself on grit! Come on Ondra stop messing about
 franksnb 13 May 2011
In reply to KarlH: because he want to get a sweat on, i expect he could most grit routes in wellies
 Michael Hood 13 May 2011
In reply to UKC News: Is he also likely to visit Raven Tor and have a go at on-sighting Hubble. As well as doing Evolution/Mutation.
 Michael Ryan 13 May 2011
In reply to Ben Thorne:

typo I think

Steve McClure On The Grade Of His Route
http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=37419

He suggested 9a+ but said

"What grade is this new route? How important is it to get it right?

I'm not qualified to really say for sure. Others like Graham, Sharma, Andrada, Paxi and Ramon would have a much better idea, their track record of hard routes is greater. All the hard routes I've done are my own, and they are compared to confirmed 8c+ routes, but that doesn't mean they are 9a. This new route felt way harder than my '9's' but that doesn't make it 9a+, perhaps I was doing it wrong, it might be 8c+, but then maybe I was doing it perfectly and it's even harder.....

It seems important to stick a number on things these days. If you don't, everyone else will anyway. I suggest it could be 9a+, an estimate based on effort and experience. But then how important is it to get it right? Not important at all! Whats important is honestly suggesting a level. If it gets down graded so what, if it gets up graded, so what again. What counts is its a great route that tested me right to my limit. Had it been 9b or 8c the journey from start to finish would have been no more or less rewarding."

And the original Overshadow news report:

Steve McClure Succeeds at Malham. UK's Hardest Sport Route!
http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=37399
 RBonney 13 May 2011
In reply to UKC News: Is he going to try violent new breed? i thought that was a 9a+ and it's not like it's miles away.
 chris_j_s 13 May 2011
In reply to RBonney:

He looked at it last year but wasn't very inspired by it apparently.
xyz 13 May 2011
I'd like to see him at LPT, the setting and routes are very unique and "The Big Bang" was one of the worlds earliest grade nine routes which is still waiting for a repeat but most importantly the tides are perfect this weekend.
 Jonny2vests 13 May 2011
In reply to xyz:

Or maybe he could fit in a 'rest day' at The Tor.
 4291 13 May 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Very odd post.

Basically some vauge none story that will have the effect of driving hoards of ondra spotters to a crag which has a reputation for being quite busy.

(Not) well done
The_JT 13 May 2011
In reply to Mr Plow:

It's not a non-story. I'd be furious if UKC knew and kept it quiet - that's not what journalism's about at all. And no, I'm not going to be going Onda-spotting any time soon, I just like to know.
 4291 13 May 2011
In reply to The_JT:

furious?

furious?

The world really is full of a variety of personalities, and I'm glad of that. Just keep away from me and my friends & family with your fury please!
 @ndyM@rsh@ll 13 May 2011
In reply to Mr Plow: Another vote for NOT a none-story.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 13 May 2011
In reply to UKC News:

With reference to the table: dropped = fell off I assume?

Or something different?

Chris
 Quiddity 13 May 2011
In reply to Mr Plow:

> Basically some vauge none story

UK's hardest route, put up by our star player who basically said 'I don't know what grade it is', managed to repel world's best climber last year, arguably the only person in the world qualified to give an opinion on the grade, who mooted the potential for an upgrade (which, let's remember, could be to 9b ie. the same grade as the hardest routes in the world), and who is back in town for a rematch?

It's not a non-story.
chris05 13 May 2011
In reply to plexiglass_nick:

I agree with Nick.
 Eagle River 13 May 2011

Precisely.

franksnb 13 May 2011
In reply to UKC News: I want, nay, I demand updates on the hour. If this isn't news I don't know what is?!
The_JT 13 May 2011
In reply to Mr Plow:

Not *that* furious. I'm a nice person, honest!
 Kemics 13 May 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Wouldn't that be rad if Steve Mac had bagged a 9b unknowingly
 Tyler 13 May 2011
In reply to Kemics:

> Wouldn't that be rad if Steve Mac had bagged a 9b unknowingly

Yes it would, it'd be absolutly stellar but this seems to be getting a bit out of hand now, and people seem to be talking it as read that it is 9b. Ondra said the route was hard but he also said he was trying the crux differently to how Steve had done it and only found out after bumping into him on the cat walk as he was leaving, two short sessions on a 9a+ is not that long even for AO.
 catt 13 May 2011
In reply to UKC News:

What? No updates? He must have amassed another mighty list by now, it's almost 4pm.
 Andy Farnell 13 May 2011
In reply to catt: I was thinking the same myself. Wonder if he's onsighted Unjustified yet...

Andy F
 TheHorroffice 13 May 2011
In reply to UKC News:
I heard Malham legged it
 cross 13 May 2011
Is it news that Chris Savage climbed True North 8c at Kilnsey ? as I havent seen it anywhere.

Good to see home grown talent doing well!!
 GDes 13 May 2011
In reply to cross: Good effort Chris! Come on the Brits!
 Enty 13 May 2011
In reply to cross:
> Is it news that Chris Savage climbed True North 8c at Kilnsey ? as I havent seen it anywhere.
>
> Good to see home grown talent doing well!!

Have you or him put a report in? UKC are good but they don't have a crystal ball.

E

cross 13 May 2011
Yep. Report made but no evidence seen
Brilliant effort Chris!
 Andy Farnell 13 May 2011
In reply to UKC News: Overshadow still resisting apparently...

Andy F
In reply to Enty: I belayed Chris 2 days previous and he was falling from high up after completely pathing the route below. Chris updated the redpoint on 8a.nu and he sent me a text when i enquired confirming it. Great achievement but evidently well within his abilities. And possibly good timeing as the dry crags cannot surely hold out with the ever increasing heavy showers

Cheers
Tim
 Micky J 13 May 2011
In reply to UKC News: Totally agree Malham has become a bloody circus on an average weekend without this bullshit . Why not give him some peace to get on with it and save the news of the world crap for later .
 JJL 13 May 2011
In reply to UKC News:

NEWS: Bunch of nobodies yap in the margins whilst talented lad does what he enjoys
 whispering nic 14 May 2011
In reply to Michael Hood:
> (In reply to UKC News) Is he also likely to visit Raven Tor and have a go at on-sighting Hubble. As well as doing Evolution/Mutation.

Why on Earth would he want to climb on Peak Limestone?! ;¬)
 Bulls Crack 14 May 2011
In reply to whispering nic:
> (In reply to Michael Hood)
> [...]
>
> Why on Earth would he want to climb on Peak Limestone?! ;¬)

I hear he's heading to Harpur Hill......he appreciates a good joke apparently
In reply to UKC News: Anyone know if there is any up-to-date postingsof how he is getting on? perhaps on someone's blog?

DC
 Wft 14 May 2011
In reply to Duncan Campbell: foot popped high up on an overshadow redpoint according to sources on ukb. hopefully he'll get it done today
 CurlyStevo 14 May 2011
In reply to GuyVG:
Hat's off to Steve M for putting overshadow up, the fact that it's taking Adam several attempts shows just how hard this route is!
 Dan_Carroll 15 May 2011
In reply to UKC News:

nothing to report from yesterday then?
 nathanlee 15 May 2011
In reply to Duncan Campbell: He fell off from very high up today - I assume by the reaction of Adam that it was probably one of the last hard moves
 jimjimjim 15 May 2011
In reply to NL: I think it's time he accepts he's not good enough and went home. I don't want him polishing it all up before my onsight attempt...
 Quiddity 15 May 2011
In reply to NL:

Is any of this being captured on video? Sounds totally epic.
 Peakpdr 15 May 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Oyyy Ondra put ye shirt on .. Oh get some trad done as well
 Michael Hood 15 May 2011
In reply to whispering nic:
> (In reply to Michael Hood)
> [...]
>
> Why on Earth would he want to climb on Peak Limestone?! ;¬)

I believe (last year) he was interested in historically significant sports routes of which Hubble is one.

nathanlee 15 May 2011

Yeh - he had one of his mates on a rope hanging out above the bulge videoing. Jaw dropping watching the sequence though - really inspiring stuff
 JSA 15 May 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Be awesome for the Ondrawad to get the redpoint, also just as awesome for the grade to be confirmed either way.
 catt 15 May 2011
In reply to JSA:

Ondrawad. A new level of waddage to aspire to.
 whispering nic 16 May 2011
In reply to Michael Hood: Humour bypass?
 Michael Hood 16 May 2011
In reply to whispering nic: Only temporary
 Diggler 16 May 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Personally I kind of hope he can't do it. Declares it too hard with a proposed grade of hard 9b+ / 9c. Now wouldn't that raze a few eyebrows!!!
 GrahamD 16 May 2011
In reply to Diggler:

> Now wouldn't that raze a few eyebrows!!!

My eyes are watering just thinking about it !
 catt 16 May 2011
In reply to UKC News:

What's with the utter lack of updates? Is there a super injunction on news coverage or someit?

If his foot's still popping we want to know! Or is it just pissing it down in Yorkshire?
 Ally Smith 16 May 2011
In reply to catt:

It was baltic at Malham yesterday, as well as raining persistently. Ondra's best redpoint yet came mid-morning when he made it thru the crux (where he fell from on other goes) but fell from the last move onto vertical ground.

Best of luck to him for completing it before his return home.
 JLS 16 May 2011
In reply to ally smith:

Thanks for the update.
In reply to ally smith: How long is he here for? anyone know??
 Tom_Ball 16 May 2011
In reply to catt:

If you want to be told when he gets it, you could just subscribe to his 8a.nu RSS feed.

http://8a.nu/rss/Main.aspx?UserId=1476&AscentType=0&ObjectClass=2

Nemo 16 May 2011
Don’t think there’ll be an issue with rain stopping play this week – it’s been so dry for so long that it would take an enormous deluge to cause any problems. And baltic and windy (within limits) are exactly the conditions you want for trying the hard routes at Malham. Basically, like last year, he’s timed his trip extremely well. Conditions will only cause a problem if the wind dies down and the sun comes out – and that doesn’t look likely this week.

Tom – do you watch the Wimbledon final or do you wait to find out the result 2 weeks later when Nadal writes a blog about it? This is arguably the best sport climber in the world trying the hardest sport route in the UK. Unsurprisingly people are curious to see how he gets on… A few people who’ve been at the crag occasionally posting how he’s getting on isn’t exactly a problem - it’s not like the hysteria surrounding the repeats of Rhapsody now is it

Keith – apparently Jean-Paul Finné from Belgium onsighted Zoolook back in 93.
 teddy 16 May 2011
Didn't Jerry Moffat onsight it in 1989, or was it a near miss? I definitely have read that somewhere, perhaps in High magazine. I think he did Predator on toprope cleanly on the same day.
 Micky J 16 May 2011
In reply to teddy: yes on my quickdraws just after id redpointed it was inspiring stuff . Id actually left the quickdraw off as i couldnt clip it and taken a good forty footer in the process ! Anyway i forgot ? ! to put it back on not that it bothered JM very much . He did every move the none standard way just gritted his teeth and slapped his way to the belay ! He then turned to the packed cove and announced 'that was hell ' !! he also did Raindogs sraight off although he may have been on it briefly before and onsighted Baboo . He finished the day with Predator on a top rope in one . No doubt could have led it but didnt seem to bothered !! Legend .
In reply to UKC News: Apparently Adam did Overshadow today
 Ally Smith 16 May 2011
In reply to Graeme Alderson:

Bravo! Glad he got it done after coming so close yesterday. Let the grade speculation begin....
 Toerag 16 May 2011
In reply to UKC News: FB sources tell me he reckoned hard F9a+ for Overshadow, and 8c for the Bat Route (onsight). Good to see some focus on UK sport, looking forward to find out what else he's gonna do....
 Tom Last 16 May 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Boom!
 Brendan 16 May 2011
In reply to Toerag:
Confirmation from McClure:
http://www.steve-mcclure.com/
In reply to Brendan: to quote "ondra ticks overshadow at last. 7 days effort but made it look easy and I expect a new grade of E2 5c will follow".

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...