UKC

Stuff you found at the crag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 itsThere 13 May 2011
 stonemaster 13 May 2011
In reply to itsThere: Brings back memories of the remains of a car my partner and I found at the top of Quality Street near Torquay. Couldn't even tell what car it was.
 Rampikino 13 May 2011
In reply to itsThere:

Marbles embedded into the rock - probably lobbed off the top by chavs...
 Mike-W-99 13 May 2011
In reply to itsThere:

East side of Beinn Trilleachan, the container rattled thus we decided it wasn't someones ashes.

http://prog99.com/Stuff/IMG_3029.jpg
http://prog99.com/Stuff/IMG_3030.jpg
OP itsThere 13 May 2011
should have got my mate to stand next to it, it looked like part of a train carrage.
 MonkeyPuzzle 13 May 2011
In reply to itsThere:

Shit. Everywhere.
 pec 13 May 2011
In reply to itsThere: Before the days of the internet it wasn't unusual to find discarded copies of adult literature in the quarries of Lancashire and suchlike places.
 aln 13 May 2011
In reply to itsThere: About 15 years ago at Kips Crag at Menstrie. 15ft up there was a pound coin delicately balanced on a tiny edge. Had to have been placed there, no way it fell from above or landed after being thrown.
 deepsoup 13 May 2011
In reply to itsThere:
Last time I was at Agden Rocher there was a line of half a dozen sheep skulls on a narrow ledge. Slightly spooky.
 Toerag 13 May 2011
In reply to itsThere: How about a live 22cm WW1 french artillery shell? The occupying Germans hung them over the edges of the cliffs on wires to be dropped on attacking commandoes in WW2. We found one when scrambling round from one of the more popular crags and had the police bomb disposal team blow it up the next day. One crag has the remains of a few cars at the bottom, one day we found a mini that has been pushed over but didn't make it all the way down, it had come to rest on steep grass 80foot up. It had obviously gone over the previous night so on approaching it we didn't know if it was a failed suicide or just flytipping. It had been flytipped, and someone obviously went back and finished the job the next night.
 slacky 13 May 2011
In reply to deepsoup:
> (In reply to itsThere)
> Last time I was at Agden Rocher there was a line of half a dozen sheep skulls on a narrow ledge. Slightly spooky.

Guilty -> http://www.flickr.com/photos/slackline/5542281221/in/set-72157615718625139
ice.solo 13 May 2011
In reply to Toerag:

once found a green beret (as in the hat).
 Andes 13 May 2011
In reply to itsThere:

The Red Pencil marking the start of Red Pencil in Yorkshire is a good one. Also cleaned lots of aircraft debris form cracks on Memorial Crag when we put up new routes there.
http://www.johnbiggar.com/memorial-crag-rock-climbing.asp
 Bulls Crack 13 May 2011
In reply to itsThere:

A very new rope and a pair of soiled underpants at Gimmer.....we threw away the rope obviously

£10 on a tiny ledge on Hope

someone found my car keys at the botoom of the Plum at tremadog after i'd dropped them 100' into the veg!
 owlart 13 May 2011
In reply to itsThere: There's a GeoCache at the top of Little Tryfan, we started a radioactive Travel Bug off there a few years ago (sadly now lost).
OP itsThere 13 May 2011
In reply to Bulls Crack: was that 10 pounds in change or a note. also did you post on the lost and found for the underpants
 LastBoyScout 13 May 2011
In reply to itsThere:

Pair of knickers.

Sheep stuck half way up a crag.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 13 May 2011
In reply to itsThere:

I (or more correctly Sherri) has found various amounts of cash (€40-€90) on at least half a dozen occasions at a whole variety of cliffs. All I ever find is 2nd hand bog-paper!

Chris
 alan moore 13 May 2011
In reply to itsThere:
I was once trowelling my way up Compost Wall at Wintours Leap and came nose to nose with a semi-decayed dog.

Regularly used to find garden gnomes living in jamming cracks several hundred feet up on the Culm coast

Tea Time ledge at Avon used to have a large, 3 seater sofa.

The best must be descending to the beach Hartland point and discovering an entire ship sitting on the boulders.
 Yanis Nayu 13 May 2011
In reply to Chris Craggs:
> (In reply to itsThere)
>
> I (or more correctly Sherri) has found various amounts of cash (€40-€90) on at least half a dozen occasions at a whole variety of cliffs. All I ever find is 2nd hand bog-paper!
>
>
> Chris

She doesn't find it in people's wallets in their rucksacks does she?
 Conf#2 13 May 2011
In reply to itsThere:

Some dignity. Them promptly lost it again.. anyone seen it?
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 13 May 2011
In reply to wayno265:

On every occasion we were the only people at the crag.

Chris
 Dave Warburton 13 May 2011
In reply to itsThere: A small, toy crocadile at Troller's Gill.
 gethin_allen 13 May 2011
In reply to LastBoyScout:
> (In reply to itsThere)
>
> Sheep stuck half way up a crag.

While climbing at Dow crag inthe Lake District I was wondering how the tiny little ledge I was sitting on came to have so much sheep poo on it.
It made me think about Dave Birket and his sheep rescuing antics.

nickcanute 13 May 2011
In reply to itsThere:

golf balls - on routes in deep dale, bradley quarry and south devon.

lamb (still alive) in a snare - North yorks moors, can't remember which crag, one with a starred E1 and E3 (freed it, removed snare and informed RSPCA)
 Dave Warburton 13 May 2011
In reply to nickcanute:
> (In reply to itsThere)

> one with a starred E1 and E3

believe it or not there are a few!

kathrync 13 May 2011
In reply to itsThere:

A friend once told me a story about topping out on Squareface to find a large fibreglass animal of description there...can't remember what it was, a giraffe or an elephant or something. Most odd, I wish I had seen it.
Oceanwall 13 May 2011
In reply to itsThere:

In the 60's Esso (I think) had a promotion to 'Put a tiger in your tank'.
Garage forecourts had large tiger (about 6 foot tall) cutouts on display.

One of these resided high up on the wall of N'Gombo in Llanberis Pass for ages!

I'd love to know who put it there.
Dare he/she/they own up after all this time?
 iceicebaby 13 May 2011
In reply to kathrync:

I've heard that too and seen a picture of it, its an elephant! Very strange. I'll have a look and see if I can find my mate's photo.
king_of_gibraltar 13 May 2011
In reply to itsThere:

Putting a new route up in Gibraltar I found a cannon ball jammed in an off-width crack. I put a sling around it, clipped it and carried on climbing... it doesn't get any more bomber than that (ho ho!).

Turned out it was from the 1700's used during the Great Siege in Gibraltar.
 EddInaBox 14 May 2011
In reply to king_of_gibraltar:

What did you name the route?
king_of_gibraltar 14 May 2011
In reply to EddInaBox: I think you guessed it Cannon Ball. Haha.
michaelc54 14 May 2011
Once found a couple snagging on a ledge halfway up a climb on the south side of the llanberis pass
 newtonmore 14 May 2011
In reply to itsThere: royal wedding mug on the top of the old man of hoy
 euanryan 14 May 2011
In reply to itsThere: Found a metal skull in acrack at court knowe
 andrusht84 14 May 2011
In reply to michaelc54: Was she fit?
Removed User 14 May 2011
In reply to itsThere: 2 plastic swords stuffed in a crack on the Cioch.
 jadias 15 May 2011
In reply to LastBoyScout:
> Sheep stuck half way up a crag.

Mate of mine had a sheep fall right off the top of a crag a few months back. Nearly took out his belayer! Not a short climb either...
 Toerag 16 May 2011
In reply to itsThere: There's always the Guns cliff in Jersey:-
http://www.steve-powell.co.uk/festung/Misc/slides/guns6.html
 SFM 16 May 2011
In reply to itsThere:

The most random was a bloke asleep next to Flying Dutchman in Glen Nevis. How the feck the midgies hadn't stripped the flesh from his bones I'll never know.
NWR 16 May 2011
In reply to itsThere:

I once found a large (grapefruit sized) plastic frog on Snowdon's Trinity Face!
 staceyjg 16 May 2011
In reply to itsThere:

I found a small buddha (statue) at Gardom's which I left on a nice little ledge higher up a route.

I wonder if anyone else spotted it.
 fatbuoybazza 16 May 2011
In reply to staceyjg: Its still there!, my mate spotted it on saturday, i think around the area of or on giants staircase..
 PeteH 16 May 2011
Good thread!

A GeoCache at Froggatt (won't say which route, but it's well hidden!)

A few months ago I topped out on Scroach, at Curbar, into someone's scattered ashes - not very pleasant (it was a windy day, too).

Garheugh Port in southwest Scotland is a brilliant beach bouldering venue, but also sadly a handy fly-tipping spot with the road running right along the top of part of the cliff. When I was there there was a showroom-ful of washing machines and other white goods, and a suspicious-looking rented van loitered at the top of the cliff for a while before it became apparent to them that I was watching and could see their registration plate!

Pete.

nickcanute 16 May 2011
In reply to Dave Warburton:
> (In reply to nickcanute)
> [...]
>
> [...]
>
> believe it or not there are a few!

meant to say a good E1 and E3 but little else.. went to look in me book.. it was pallet crag so not even N yorks moors! soz
 jon59 16 May 2011
In reply to itsThere: poo....lots of it
 thin bob 16 May 2011
In reply to Chris Craggs:
> (In reply to itsThere)
>
> I (or more correctly Sherri) has found various amounts of cash (€40-€90) on at least half a dozen occasions at a whole variety of cliffs. All I ever find is 2nd hand bog-paper!
>
>
she's picking your pocket, mate!

efrance24234 16 May 2011
In reply to itsThere: i found an action man about 20foot up a route. Feet on an edge n hand with a solid fist jam lol
 JimboWizbo 17 May 2011
In reply to itsThere: This is the best thread I've ever seen. I actually want to go climbing and look for stuff now
 RagingSphere 17 May 2011
In reply to itsThere: I've never found anything outdoors but on a quiet day at the local wall I found several jelly babies/gummy bears on the holds.

Some guy had been putting them there to teach his kids to climb by finding the sweets!
 david14 17 May 2011
In reply to itsThere: my wife 1992 Pavey Ark.
 jadias 22 May 2011
In reply to itsThere:

Topped out on Brown Slabs, Shepherd's Crag (Borrowdale) a day or two ago to find this drawn in chalk on the back side (where the belays anchors are):

http://i.imgur.com/c126o.jpg

Certainly lightened the mood before going off the descent route in the dark and having to ab down mossy slabs and through an oak tree!
 DreadyCraig 22 May 2011
In reply to owlart:
> (In reply to itsThere) There's a GeoCache at the top of Little Tryfan, we started a radioactive Travel Bug off there a few years ago (sadly now lost).

What is a radioactive travel bug????

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...