UKC

what do you carry in your first aid kit/emergancy kit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 yellow 18 May 2011
just wondering about the extra things people decide they should take out withg them as part of there first aid kit other than what comes already with a first aid kit?
 mrchewy 18 May 2011
In reply to yellow: I don't take a first aid kit as such.

I take Compeed, Swiss Army knife, gaffa tape, spare laces, cable ties, Petzl e-Lite and Lucozade tablets. All the XXS Exped drybag.
 climber david 18 May 2011
In reply to yellow:

first aid basics like plasters triangular bandage(sling) etc. plus duck tape and i always have a knife when im in the outdoors
adam11 18 May 2011
Alcohol wipes, Steristrips, 2 tampons, pair of rubber gloves, roll of tape, Naproxen

Slings, bandages etc can always be made from stuff you're already using.
 JoshOvki 18 May 2011
In reply to climbing obsessed:

Plasters, triangular bandage, duct tape, knife, spare compass, antiseptic wipes, paracetamol, ibuprofen, large quantities of antihistamines and a shot of epinephrine. Not much really.
 Run_Ross_Run 18 May 2011
In reply to yellow:

Jelly babies.
 Jaffacake 18 May 2011
In reply to yellow:

Extra from a normal first aid kit? Duct tape, electrical tape, e-lite and a set of contact lenses (I'm very good at losing my glasses).
 JoshOvki 18 May 2011
In reply to Darren09:

Oh good choice.
Phil Payne 18 May 2011
In reply to yellow:

One extra thing that I now have in mine is a torch. I don't always remember to carry a torch with me if I'm just out for a short day trip and expect to be back well before sunset, so the guaranteed way not to forget to take a torch is to keep one in my first aid kit, which goes with me whatever I'm doing.
 jadias 18 May 2011
In reply to yellow:
I do a lot of travelling so I tend to just move the same kit around from pack to pack. It's probably more than is needed for a day cragging but it saves having a whole other kit...

Plasters
Larger adhesive dressing
Antiseptic wipes
Compeed blister pads
Scissors
Small EMT shears (for cutting clothing, etc)
Tweezers
A small mirror (great for treating your feet)
A couple of pods of saline (for cleaning out wounds or eyes)
Ibuprofen
Ibuprofen & codeine
Antihistamines
Anti-diarrhea tablets
Indigestion tablets
Oral rehydration powder

I have a Swiss Army Knife in my pocket all the time anyway.

I think that's all of it. Like I say, overkill for cragging, but I've used every bit while travelling at one time or another.
SAVLON!
 IainMunro 18 May 2011
In reply to yellow:

Zinc oxide tape
Paracetamol
Foil blanket

Iain
king_of_gibraltar 18 May 2011
In reply to yellow:

In a small sealable bag (kept in rucksack lid): 1x role of finger tape, 3x antiseptic wipes, 1x first field dressing, 2x co-codamol tablets.

In a separate sealable bag (also in rucksack lid): My ID, my AAC membership card, about 20 Euros (in notes) and my mobile phone.

(In winter/alpine) In the camelbak sleeve in my rucksack I'll also carry 4x large cable ties.
Rolfe Oostra - 360 Expeditions 18 May 2011
In reply to yellow:
Apart from the standard stuff it may be worth thinking about:
pain relief.
Altitude drugs (if applicable
cling film.. good for burns.
sam splint.... splint that has many uses.
I guess the contnt of the sac depends on where you are heading.
The newere versions of fredom of the hills have a good list of additionals.
hope this helps
rolfe
DLT 18 May 2011
In reply to yellow:
Depends on where but if UK then - tuff-cut shears, cling film, gaffer tape, J-cloth, multiple pairs of gloves, pen-torch, face shield or pocket mask.
Outside of the UK/Western Europe then the same plus meds and sterile set depending on where going.
Wonko The Sane 18 May 2011
In reply to yellow: Which kit? In the car I have a full on 'go bag' inlcuding food, water, eyewash, blankets etc. If I'm out walking I just carry a sling, couple of bandages, couple of plasters and some compression pads. I don't carry duct tape, but will after reading this thread. I always carry a razor sharp knife.
 JoshOvki 18 May 2011
In reply to Tyroneslater:

cable ties are another great thing to carry,
 PeteH 18 May 2011
The other thing I take which no-one else (I think) has mentioned is superglue. Handy for split tips/decent cuts/various repairs.

Pete.
 Toerag 19 May 2011
In reply to yellow: My boat first aid kit consists of electrician's tape & kitchen roll - you can patch up pretty much any sort of wound with that, anything else isn't 'first' aid.
Wonko The Sane 19 May 2011
In reply to Toerag:
> (In reply to yellow) My boat first aid kit consists of electrician's tape & kitchen roll - you can patch up pretty much any sort of wound with that, anything else isn't 'first' aid.

That's ok, but it gets a bit much when the owner goes a little boatyard mental and the boat itself looks like it's made of these items. I've seen it happen!
In reply to Toerag:

not really a first aid kit more a midical/useful kit

plasters, sterile pad, penknikfe, lighter, painkillers, hydration (dialolite) stuff, CPR face mask think and a pair of gloves. Then finger tape seperate and duct tape round my drinks bottle
 tony 19 May 2011
In reply to yellow:

The only thing I've ever used from my first aid kit were the drugs - paracetamol and ibubrofen. I've never used anything for wounds or sprains.
 Jon Greengrass 19 May 2011
In reply to yellow:

strapping tape
bandage
medical superglue
disenfectant
tampon
tick renmover
codeine

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...