UKC

DSLR savings- amazon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MelH 24 May 2011
I got an email from amazon about savings on DSLRs. The one I noticed in particular was the Nikon D7000 @ £200 off rrp.

Is this a really good deal? Anyone use it and love it?
 Fraser 24 May 2011
In reply to MelH:

What price are they quoting?
OP MelH 24 May 2011
In reply to Fraser:

I think £479. Can't get on to amazon or hotmail at work so can't make 100% sure.
In reply to MelH:

Nobody sells at rrp unless the camera has only just been launched, this is a very good site for comparing prices.

http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/cat4.html

Amazon are often one of the better suppliers on price.

No personal service or advice though.

Fraser 24 May 2011
In reply to MelH:

Sounds like a very good price if it's correct, body only I assume?!
 Fraser 24 May 2011
In reply to Fraser:

Just checked - body only price they're quoting is £896. You might want to check your offer.
OP MelH 24 May 2011
In reply to Fraser:

Maybe it wasn't the D7000.... och- need to look again as it was def body and a lens. Maybe I have the model wrong....
OP MelH 24 May 2011
In reply to MelH:

Sorry my bad- was a canon. (looked at so many- managed to have a quick look at colleagues's iphone)

Canon EOS 450D £486 (£300 saving)

and

Canon EOS 550D £589 (£300 saving)
 Andy S 24 May 2011
In reply to MelH: I was gonna say - a D7000 at that price would be a steal! Probably quite literally!

Anyway, you're gonna have to take the plunge at some point and part with hundreds of pounds. But it'll be the best money you've ever spent! Do it!
In reply to MelH:
> (In reply to MelH)
>
> Sorry my bad- was a canon. (looked at so many- managed to have a quick look at colleagues's iphone)
>
> Canon EOS 450D £486 (£300 saving)
>
> and
>
> Canon EOS 550D £589 (£300 saving)

That's a rubbish price for the 450D, you can get the 500D for £499 and that camera is a considerable improvement on the 450D

It's a good price for the 550D, but you will get a similar price from other shops.
OP MelH 24 May 2011
In reply to Andy S:
> (In reply to MelH) I was gonna say - a D7000 at that price would be a steal! Probably quite literally!

Och, I know- just getting old and a bit dottle!!! ;-D

Just home and realised the one I meant was the NIKON (I know, I know) D5000 for £480. Is that a good deal/ good camera? I am assuming it is older than D7000 but must still be a good camera, no?

OP MelH 24 May 2011
In reply to mountain.martin:
> (In reply to MelH)
> [...]
>
> That's a rubbish price for the 450D, you can get the 500D for £499 and that camera is a considerable improvement on the 450D
>
> It's a good price for the 550D, but you will get a similar price from other shops.

Cheers for the info! The whole subject of DSLR is a mystery to me! I go from thinking about getting one to thinking it's too heavy/ too much money....
 Fraser 24 May 2011
In reply to MelH:

You can have a play with mine next time I see you. Then you can try the camera.

Sorry, been a long day! Yu're welcome to try my D5000 however - I' be up your way in the next week or two no doubt.
OP MelH 24 May 2011
In reply to Fraser:
> (In reply to MelH)
>
> You can have a play with mine next time I see you. Then you can try the camera.
>
> Sorry, been a long day! Yu're welcome to try my D5000 however - I' be up your way in the next week or two no doubt.

Hahaha! Very drole my dear! ;-p

That would be cool to have a go - cheers very much.

Are you happy with it? I always like your photos....
 Fraser 24 May 2011
In reply to MelH:

Yes, I like it a lot (the price you can now get it for is very good btw). I'm still very much in the learning process and finding out how to use it in depth. Making lots of fundamental errors from time to time, but I'm definitely getting the hang of it....I think!

FWIW, I got the 18-105mm lens with mine, rather than the kit 18-55mm. Bought it from Calumet in Glasgow for either £649 or £629 just over a year ago. That was a bit over the odds at the time, but the sales guy was really decent and spent a lot of time with me so I was happy enough to pay a wee bit more.
OP MelH 25 May 2011
In reply to Fraser:

Cool, need to give it a try. Out of curiosity- do you know much about lens etc?

I really want the camera for (amongst other things) architecture shots. Been researching and need 10-22mm but can't see that size for Nikon. Any ideas? (I probs won't buy that kinda size for a while cos uber expensive but it's part of the plan)
 Fraser 25 May 2011
In reply to MelH:

No, not really. There's been a fair bit of discussion (on here, amongst other places) regarding recommendations for w/a lenses, specifically for Nikons. If the body auto-focusses, the Tokina 11-17mm f2.8 seems to be the bad boy to go for. However the D5000 doesn't have an in-body motor, so it'd only be manual focus for that lens.

Many reviewers also rate the Sigma 10-20mm (either f3.5 or, slightly cheaper at about £370 on Amazon, the f4.0) The latter is the one I hope to be going for at the end of this month. There is a cheaper option still, which is the Tamron 10-24mm f3.5. It doesn't get as good reviews as the Sigma.

Check out Ken Rockwell's site for more info and search the photography forum here - there's been a lot of discussion quite recently.
 Fraser 25 May 2011
In reply to Fraser:

Meant to add, the Sigmas and the Tamron will a/f on a D5000.
OP MelH 25 May 2011
In reply to Fraser:

That's all really useful- cheers Fraser. I find it such a complicated subject but what you've told me is a massive help. I knew the lenses of that type of spec are quite expensive so it'll have to be something I get in the future, but it's good to know that options exist for the Nikon- esp if I can get the body and a standard lens cheap (hoping my tax rebate comes in soon so I have the money .

In the meantime I'll check out the website you've recommended and have a look through the recent threads on here! :-D

mloskot 14 Jun 2011
In reply to MelH: Be careful with sellers on Amazon. I had been monitoring prices for D7000 for 2-3 nights and decided to buy kit with lens for less than 600GBP. I know, bloody suspicious. The offer was saying 10 kits left.

I ordered. Day after, I received e-mail from Amazon saying my order been cancelled, no reason given. I called Amazon immediately and they clarified that seller cancelled it with "out of stock" reason. Amazon guaranteed no money taken. In the meantime, I investigated it a bit. Sent message with questions directly to the seller. Google'ed the seller name, found it's a company in north UK, e-mailed them.
A few days later they replied saying they are sorry, but their account at Amazon has been cracked in and somebody was trying to do scam offers through their account.

Two days later, Amazon notifies me about another fantastic offer, new D7000 kits for 540GBP!!! This time, I called Amazon explaining it must be scam as it's impossible on earth to sell 10 or 20 brand new kits for this price. Selling for 700 would be bloody cheap already.

Eventually, I got my D7000 from http://mifsuds.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...