UKC

8000m Peak - Down Suit or Not?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Axel Smeets 26 May 2011

Evening all.

I'm just reviewing my kit cupboard with a forthcoming 8000m peak trip in mind (next year). I have a very warm down jacket, but no down trousers. Do I part with a large amount of cash for just the trousers or go a step further and part with an even larger amount for a full down suit? I may consider selling my down jacket to fund the latter option.

Anyone have anything to add regarding the pros and cons of a full suit or two part system? Have previously been to just short of 7,500m with down jacket and layered bottom half, but feel down is required for my bottom half for the next trip.

Advice much appreciated.

Cheers
ice.solo 27 May 2011
In reply to Axel Smeets:

thats a hard one.

personally i go with a 8000m jacket (me annapurna) and mid-weight synthetic pants (marmot somethingorother).

i tried full pants and used them once and was too hot (pakistan, 7500m), then took my synthetics up and much better plus much less to carry.

a full suit i cant imagine, being even heavier, bulkier, less regulable and less multi-purpose (i wore my big jacket around bc on cold days).

im sure there are arguments for full suits (i salivate over the TNF one), but not this little chickadee.
 Hannes 27 May 2011
In reply to Axel Smeets: if you are M or bigger Joe Browns are selling a ME suit for £300, I know what I'd take.
 imkevinmc 27 May 2011
In reply to Axel Smeets: What size are you ?
OP Axel Smeets 27 May 2011
In reply to Axel Smeets:

Cheers for the replies. Ice Solo ~ useful info as ever.

Interesting about the ME suit. 300 quid is much less than the one I had seen so thanks for the info.

I'm 6ft with slim build so guessing size M or L.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...