UKC

Climbing and personality type

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Elsier 27 May 2011
In recently did the Myers Briggs personality test at work. It was quite fun and kind of fascinating.

So I thought I would conduct an watertight scientific survey on UKC and ask, what personality are climbers, and does personality affect what type of climbing you like?

You can look up your personality type here if you don't already know it:

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

I'm an INFJ apparently and like winter, trad and alpine best.

Don't worry I am not REALLY taking the results seriously, it's just a bit of spurious fun for a friday afternoon!
In reply to Elsier: I did one of these some years ago via work. The people doing it did not know me nor my interests and I was being very cynical about the whole thing so imagine my surprise at the end when the lady analysing the results informed me that people with my personailty type were attracted to things like climbing and mountaineering. That shut me up.

Al
 Rubbishy 27 May 2011
In reply to Elsier:

INFP, apparently I care, no I really do care.

I share this type with Princess Died, oh this is bollox.
 wushu 27 May 2011
In reply to Elsier:

INTJ - Apparently I'm like Steven Hawking, and Bill Gates...
 john arran 27 May 2011
In reply to John Rushby:

INTP

I share this type with Newton, Einstein and Darwin. This is rather good
 gribble 27 May 2011
In reply to Elsier:
I'm ENFP, whatever that may be. I can't even spell it...
 winhill 27 May 2011
In reply to Elsier:

INTJ, 'masterminds' shared with Hannibal, Lance Armstrong, Issac Newton and Ada Lovelace (I think she was Linda Lovelace's mother).
 Jon Stewart 27 May 2011
In reply to wushu: Fellow INTJ. I like trad, especially bold (and therefore not too much effort).

I love this stuff, I did this questionnaire ages ago and genuinely found it gave me new and helpful insights. But as an INTJ, I'm extremely analytical can't help picking everything apart with ruthless honesty. I don't really care that other people don't understand what an intelligent analysis of personality it provides, because they're too stupid to make any use of it, as usual.

(This is a bit of a joke.)
cling2 27 May 2011
In reply to Elsier:

INFJ along with the OPer and Mother Teresa...

Most things with snow.
 Yanis Nayu 27 May 2011
In reply to Elsier: ISFJ.

Trad, but in light of above considering becoming a full-time belayer.
 Jon Stewart 27 May 2011
In reply to wushu:
> (In reply to Elsier)
>
> INTJ - Apparently I'm like Steven Hawking, and Bill Gates...

Yeah, and Donald Rumsfeld. I don't usually use emoticons, but,
ClimbingRulez 27 May 2011
In reply to Elsier: ENTP,Donald trump-Sport
 isi_o 27 May 2011
In reply to Elsier:
INTJ too - there seem to be quite a few of us... Strikes me that people with this personality type may well be drawn to taking this sort of test!
I like trad and winter stuff. And after a route I like to pick it apart one move at a time. This is confusing to most of my climbing partners...
 JLS 27 May 2011
In reply to Elsier:

INTJ and crap sport climber... among other less complimentary things.
 JLS 27 May 2011
In reply to isi_o:

>"Strikes me that people with this personality type may well be drawn to taking this sort of test!"

Could be. I suspect your INTJ type has already analysed themselves and are very selfaware but deep down are hoping someone will tell them it's not true.
 Cheese Monkey 27 May 2011
In reply to Elsier: INTJ too, I just like getting my hands on rock and working out how to get to the top
OP Elsier 27 May 2011
In reply to isi_o:
> (In reply to Elsier)
> INTJ too - there seem to be quite a few of us... Strikes me that people with this personality type may well be drawn to taking this sort of test!
> I like trad and winter stuff. And after a route I like to pick it apart one move at a time. This is confusing to most of my climbing partners...

I think that's also true of INFJs, I like this stuff, it's fun. I like analysing too, but I guess just in a more fluffy and woolly way
Removed User 27 May 2011
In reply to Elsier:

INTP but could swing to ISTP. It's a pretty accurate assessment of the way I approach things and has helped me understand why some of my employees don't understand me. But as a thinker not a feeler, I don't really give a f**k.
OP Elsier 27 May 2011
In reply to Elsier:

I harbour this suspicion that people with NF personalities are drawn to the mountains being imaginative dreamers, and that maybe people with more thinking personalities are more into bouldering and sports climbing so they can analyse the moves.

Although in reality I'm sure that's really a load of rubbish, and people with all kinds of personalities are drawn to all aspects of climbing...
In reply to Elsier: Jeezus.

I am:
slightly expressed introvert

slightly expressed sensing personality

slightly expressed feeling personality

moderately expressed perceiving personality

Other ISFP's include Geoff Boycott, Thatcher, John Lennon, Eichmann and Diana
cling2 27 May 2011
In reply to Elsier:

who are you calling fluffy and woolly...!
 John_Hat 27 May 2011
In reply to Elsier:

INFJ here....
 gingerkate 27 May 2011
In reply to Elsier:
I'm INFJ too. And I'm a wimpy sport climber

I like how we're rare. Only 3%.
 anonymouse 27 May 2011
In reply to gingerkate:
Not that rare. I'm one too apparently.

I think I just confused their system
 anonymouse 27 May 2011
In reply to anonymouse:

I'm one and so's Mel Gibson.

Hmmm.
Removed User 27 May 2011
In reply to Elsier:

TBH, you can't just do this using the questionaire. There is some further refinement needed after the initial results.

The questionaire shows me to be an INTJ but subsequent work has me as an INTP
 anonymouse 27 May 2011
In reply to anonymouse:
I remember one of these tests from years ago in which you simply had to pick your favourite colour from a set of four over and over again. It scored people as accurately as the written tests apparently.

That was spooky.
In reply to Elsier: The problem with these tests and despite assertions to the contrary it is possible to see where they are going and answer accordingly.

Al.
 Keendan 27 May 2011
In reply to Elsier:

INTJ

Trad and indoor sport
In reply to Elsier: I too am INFJ. I take the result as seriously as I take the career suggestion that accompanied it, that I should be a librarian.

Now if the librarian they had in mind was one like that in the Discworld library, perhaps I could be persuaded. Otherwise...

T.
 anonymouse 27 May 2011
In reply to Pursued by a bear:
All libraries are connected via L-space
Removed User 27 May 2011
In reply to Pursued by a bear:
> (In reply to Elsier) I too am INFJ. I take the result as seriously as I take the career suggestion that accompanied it

It is actually a very good tool for understanding communication issues within the workplace. if you put the personality types on a wheel you can see your opposite type. You will likely have communication issues with that person.

My opposite is an ISFP (it isn't just that you flip the letters). I had a secretary who was an ISFP once and I had to free her up for other opportunities in the end.
 SonyaD 27 May 2011
In reply to Elsier: I am INFJ also and I too like winter and alpine the best.
 Feeling bold 27 May 2011
In reply to Elsier:

Another INFJ and like trad, winter and aIpine...but summer too!

Wow my famous people with my type are Mother Teresa, Nelson Mandela, and Nicole Kidman. Could do with some mountaineers in that list!
 Ireddek 27 May 2011
In reply to Elsier:

Still ENFJ (all students had to do psychometric tests when we started in our 1st year at Stellenbosch University)and apparently I'm one of only 2%...

I tend to just like climbing any kind really. Like trad, bouldering, sport, scrambling, walking... anywhere that's nice with some good rock to mess around on & as long as it's sunny as I don't really like getting too cold & wet
In reply to Removed User: ha! Im an ISFP. I didnt look what kind of climber I am cos I know.
Removed User 27 May 2011
In reply to Fawksey:
> (In reply to Minneconjou Sioux) ha! Im an ISFP. I didnt look what kind of climber I am cos I know.

Good job you don't work for me
In reply to Removed User: actually I found it hard to answer because Im often both anawers. Also some of the questions had a "right" answer but I often do things "wrong"

eg say the question said "do you find a logical and rational approach to sudden events is best?" the answer would be yes but I know that I often react irrationally and without logic to sudden events.

Shrug
OP Elsier 27 May 2011
In reply to Gaston Rubberpants:
> (In reply to Elsier) The problem with these tests and despite assertions to the contrary it is possible to see where they are going and answer accordingly.
>
> Al.

Yes I know that, but I did mention that this wasn't a serious post as I didn't want it to descend into a debate over th accuracy of the tests, it was just supposed to be a bit of fun!

Except I have of course drawn the conclusion from my unbiased and optimal sample size that NFs especially INFJs are drawn to alpine and winter climbing. Thank you everyone for participating in my scientific survey!
cling2 27 May 2011
In reply to Elsier:

And thank you for the link and referring to me as fluffy. Does OUR kind harbour grudges... or is that a unique fracture of personality only i am burdened with...

Isn't it tempting to think that winter conditions appeal to more 'humanist' mind? if you know what I mean.
OP Elsier 27 May 2011
In reply to cling2:
> (In reply to Elsier)
>
> And thank you for the link and referring to me as fluffy. Does OUR kind harbour grudges... or is that a unique fracture of personality only i am burdened with...
>
> Isn't it tempting to think that winter conditions appeal to more 'humanist' mind? if you know what I mean.

Don't worry you'll get over it, I think being referred to as fluffy is a compliment really!

And yes a quick google search confirms that INFJs

May hold grudges, and have difficulty forgiving people

I know what you mean about winter conditions and the humanist mind, but I guess the thing is that's only one aspect of what there is to enjoy about climbing in winter. Winter climbing is quite a complex activity really with lots of different fascets to it, so I'm sure it's possible for different people to have contrasting reasons for doing it, and to each get something different out of it.

cmb621 27 May 2011
In reply to gribble: Me too! ENFP - sport climbing is my game!
cling2 27 May 2011
In reply to Elsier:

Without doubt i agree everyone getting a lot out of different things out of it. It's anecdotal as you say but it appeals to me the thought that there's a less linear and more fluffy (for want of a better word) aspect to it. And that's not to say organisation isn't required. Cud for me to chew so thanks.

And in my quest to disprove this pesky analysis I forgive all.
 Viks 27 May 2011
In reply to gribble: Snap!
Chris Ellyatt 27 May 2011
In reply to Elsier:

Calling any other ENTJs?! For bouldering, sport, trad, alpine...us ENTJs love it all!

Chris
 mrchewy 28 May 2011
In reply to Elsier: ENFJ... and inspired 45% and adventurer 32%.Shockingly quite true about me a lot of what I read there.

Didn't find the climbing bit tho?
 IPPurewater 28 May 2011
In reply to Elsier: ISTJ

Trad.
 MHutch 28 May 2011
In reply to IPPurewater:

ISTJ - me and Greta Garbo, apparently.
 Tall Clare 28 May 2011
In reply to Fawksey:

apparently, this morning, I'm an ISFP too. Wimpy trad/sport climber, lapsed somewhat in the last six months or so.
ice.solo 28 May 2011
In reply to Elsier:

im an INFJ too - and prefer winter, alpine, ice and expedition.

im usually sceptikal of such stuff, tho accept that jung wasnt the new age wannabe or eugenicist some purveyers of such categorizing systems are. if anyone might be onto something its that guy.

after looking at the blurbs about it (theres a surprising amount out there about it) its mildly unnerving how accurate it feels, feeling less of a generalized scam that astrology (which i have never been interested in).

doesnt hurt that it says im of the rarest type, so lets me feel special
 fried 28 May 2011
In reply to Elsier:

Interesting how INFJ's make up 3% of the population, but a lot higher percentage than that of people on this thread (me included).

Does this say anything about climbers or just people who like taking tests?
 Tiggs 28 May 2011
In reply to Elsier: Surely climber = nutter!

or

sport climber = narcissistic nutter
trad climber =traditionalist nutter
solo climber = utter nutter
winter climber = frozen traditionalist
High altitude greater ranges mountaineer = frozen utter nutter
Top roper - borderline nutter
ice.solo 28 May 2011
In reply to Tiggs:

boulderer?
Chris Ellyatt 28 May 2011
In reply to ice.solo:

Lazy nutter

Chris
 Tom Last 28 May 2011
In reply to Elsier:

ENFP apparently - enjoy trad climbing and wild places.

ENFPs sound a bit superficial if you ask me, apparently I'm a bit like Oprah!
 Lukem6 28 May 2011
In reply to Elsier: INTJ apparently
In reply to Elsier: I always come out in these tests as ENFP
 MonkeyPuzzle 28 May 2011
In reply to Southern Man:

ENFP here too: the "idealist champion". Aye, that's champion!

Famous ENFP's are Dickens, Obama (not Osama), Tolstoy and, erm, Ariel the little mermaid.
 Feeling bold 28 May 2011
In reply to Tiggs:
> (In reply to Elsier) Surely climber = nutter!
>
> or
>
> sport climber = narcissistic nutter
> trad climber =traditionalist nutter
> solo climber = utter nutter
> winter climber = frozen traditionalist
> High altitude greater ranges mountaineer = frozen utter nutter
> Top roper - borderline nutter

Great, so indoor climber = closet narcisstic nutter

ENFJ

i mainly climb trad and winter but enjoy all types of climbing!
 rossowen 28 May 2011
In reply to Elsier: yet another INTJ. I climb mostly sport but would like to do trad and alpine
 Tom Last 28 May 2011
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:
> (In reply to Southern Man)
>
> ENFP here too: the "idealist champion". Aye, that's champion!
>

Cool man, we can ride into battle together
 yeti 28 May 2011
In reply to Elsier:

hmm, ISTJ, frighteningly close, seems i'm a sad jobsworth

and also george w bush!, though eeyore is acceptable

yeti
 yeti 28 May 2011
In reply to yeti:
lol and.... i'll have a go at any kind of climbing, though i do enjoy a good chimney
 MonkeyPuzzle 28 May 2011
In reply to Southern Man:
> (In reply to MonkeyPuzzle)
> [...]
>
>
> Cool man, we can ride into battle together

As an idealist champion, I would ideally prefer to have a bit of a sit down with a nice glass of Highland Park. You're welcome, of course.
 Puppythedog 28 May 2011
In reply to Elsier: ENFJ

Your Type is
ENFJ
Extraverted Intuitive Feeling Judging
33 50 25 56

ENFJs are the benevolent 'pedagogues' of humanity. They have tremendous charisma by which many are drawn into their nurturant tutelage and/or grand schemes. Many ENFJs have tremendous power to manipulate others with their phenomenal interpersonal skills and unique salesmanship. But it's usually not meant as manipulation -- ENFJs generally believe in their dreams, and see themselves as helpers and enablers, which they usually are.

Well now that my ego is suitably stroked, I climb Trad, sport indoor plastic slapping would like to get into mountaineering but that can wait a bit.
 Mr Powly 28 May 2011
In reply to Elsier:

I'm INFP, some nice new insights into why I'm finding my scientific PhD so hard at the moment.

I like all the sorts of climbing, but mostly trad and winter
 anonymouse 28 May 2011

I'm INFJ.

Mostly I climb buildings. But I only do it to embarrass whoever I'm with.

Make of that what you will.
 david14 28 May 2011
In reply to winhill: Lector?
 becdent 28 May 2011
In reply to puppythedog:
Ha brillant I'm an ENFJ too : ) Love bouldering and sport climbing.

Great post Els!
 VS4b 28 May 2011
In reply to becdent:

ENTJ - trad all the way for me
 paulipauli 28 May 2011
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:
> (In reply to Elsier) I always come out in these tests as ENFP

Me too! I'm glad there are a few of us though we seem a bit outnumbered
 turnerk 28 May 2011
In reply to Elsier:
ENTJ - Swanage trad Nuff said
 Iain McKenzie 28 May 2011
In reply to Elsier:

Your Type is ENFJ

Extraverted Intuitive Feeling Judging

44 38 25 56

not sure what I have in common with;
Abraham Lincoln
Ronald Reagan
Barack Obama
Tony Blair

Hibachi 29 May 2011
In reply to Elsier: ENFJ, looks like I have a chance at becoming the next president.
 Tom Last 29 May 2011
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:
> (In reply to Southern Man)
> [...]
>
> As an idealist champion, I would ideally prefer to have a bit of a sit down with a nice glass of Highland Park. You're welcome, of course.

Just the ticket!
 Neil Adams 29 May 2011
In reply to Elsier: INTP - and it seems like quite an accurate description to me. And I'm most info trad (sea cliffs & mountains preferably), winter & alpine stuff, which maybe isn't what you'd expect of someone with an analytical and pragmatic personality.
 Jones 01 Jun 2011
In reply to Elsier:
ISTJ - Inspector
I like order! I like people who know their task, follow guidelines,etc.
Its me! Spooky!
Wonko The Sane 01 Jun 2011
In reply to Elsier: I used to think I was just a bastard, but it turns out I have an excuse, I'm a through and through INTJ and yes, it permeates pretty much everything I do. The MB test desctibedme to a T
 John Lewis 01 Jun 2011
In reply to Elsier: I'm INFJ Counselor. I think thats about right for me.

J
 struds 01 Jun 2011
INTJ

bouldering, indoor, sport and trad.

winter climbing is too cold.
 Reach>Talent 01 Jun 2011
In reply to Elsier:
INTP

slightly expressed introvert (22)
moderately expressed intuitive personality (38)
moderately expressed thinking personality (50)
very expressed perceiving personality (78)

http://keirsey.com/4temps/architect.asp This is a pretty accurate description.

I like just about everything apart from the Sunday afternoon Stanage Popular end cluster f*%k!

In reply to Elsier: If you can overlook the spelling of the word 'compleat', this makes for a funny read.

http://intjcentral.com/manual1
 Reach>Talent 01 Jun 2011
In reply to Elsier:
Interesting that INTP which is supposedly less than 1% of the population has shown up 4 times in 80-ish posts. Is this a UKC induced sampling bias or are INTP types more likely to fill out random online questionaires?
Removed User 01 Jun 2011
In reply to Reach>Talent:
> (In reply to Elsier)
> Interesting that INTP which is supposedly less than 1% of the population has shown up 4 times in 80-ish posts. Is this a UKC induced sampling bias or are INTP types more likely to fill out random online questionaires?

so, I'm a 1%er! Does that mean I can now go and join the Hell's Angels?
 Niall 01 Jun 2011
In reply to Ireddek:
> (In reply to Elsier)
>
> Still ENFJ ....

Still? Does your type change over time? I used to be ENFP, no idea what I might be now.
 ring ouzel 01 Jun 2011
In reply to Elsier: ENTJ, I'm a Fieldmarshal A trad and bouldering Fieldmarshal it would seem.
 Tdubs 01 Jun 2011
In reply to Elsier:
I've taken these quite a few times and half of the time I come out as ISFP and half the time I come out as ESFP. I am very extroverted generally and I'm always up for a party but I have a lot of the sensory and sensitive attributes of an ISFP. Until I took these tests I had no idea that other people didn't feel the world and experience it in the same way and it made a lot of sense. Also makes me feel kind of sad that other types of people don't get the same overwhelming sensory experience and I wonder what it is like to not get the deep pleasure from their senses that I do.
It explained a lot of character traits that I have that other people find irritating that I can't really help, and it explains why I really struggle to do things that I don't especially enjoy - I literally don't have the ability to worry about the future enough and am far too wrapped up in chasing pleasurable experiences in the moment. Trying to change that a bit because overall it means I'm going to die of alcohol-induced cirrhosis.

I woke up this morning and there were 7 people in my trashed house and I was very drunk. I think I got naked as well.

Being an ESFP is amazing, and has given me lots of ridiculous stories. I have a reputation for all my sentences beginning with "One time I was absolutely trashed and...". Being an ISFP is cool too, but it means I can get wrapped up in my head and often I don't know what kind of day I'm going to have when I wake up - am I going to be reclusive and depressing and lie in the grass feeling the flowers or am I going to be a loudmouth drunk rounding up people and making them have a party so I can get my testicles out.

I don't really climb anymore. I do winter and alpine at a fairly low level but haven't touched rock properly in a year.

I've noticed that on this thread there's almost exclusively introvert types. Thats very odd-either it means people are more likely to take tests if they are or it could be to do with climbing.
 Reach>Talent 01 Jun 2011
In reply to Tdubs:
Tests aimed at highlighting introvert behaviour are really easy to accidentally bias, as questions on social interactions are very sensitive to context and phraseology.

For instance:

A) Do you prefer your own company? (Y/N)
B) Do you like to be surrounded by people? (Y/N)
C) Do you like to work independently? (Y/N)

A) Is likely to pick out actual introvert people
B) Is less descriminating as "surrounded" is quite a emotive word
C) Is a question on ways of working and organisation

Different people would read different things into the 3 questions above.

In reply to Elsier: I remember being ENTP at University, and while I'm sure many of my responses have chnaged a little.

I'm stil ENTP! I like bouldering/sport/trad/winter/ice... usually focuss quite specifically on one aspect, but that aspect frequently changes.

I think the act of "solving the problem" is probably as important to me as getting to the top. I love adventurous climbs, but don't enjoy adventure for the sake of it.

Alexander the Great
Confederate General J. E. B. Stuart
Sir Walter Raleigh

Also explains why I'm generally such a pain in the ass...
 sutty 01 Jun 2011
In reply to Fawksey:

Same as me, ISFP, and Clare. Not found were it says what type of climber we are.
OP Elsier 01 Jun 2011
In reply to sutty:

It doesn't say what type of climber you are....

That was the point of this post so you could look up your personality type and then post what type of climbing you are into/ like best.

Simples!
 squicky 01 Jun 2011
In reply to Neil Adams: I'm also INTP and enjoy the same sort of thing. I think I like pushing myself into situations where most people would be freaking out of their mind and going batshit crazy but instead of crying I try to be completely calm and rational about it, thus get out alive (so far).

Also INTPs like to prove that they can do something, so doing one route of a grade, like E5 for example, would typically mean that you don't have to do another one becuase you've proved to yourself that you could do it.
 Tdubs 01 Jun 2011
In reply to Reach>Talent:
Thanks, that's interesting. Seems such a complicated and variable thing - personality is such a multi-faceted thing that I was amazed when I discovered the personality types and how accurate they can be a while back.
 bigdan050 01 Jun 2011
In reply to Elsier:
ESTJ , the supervisor......i would probably lead you all up the mountain, but get lost then blame one of the more thinky types!
In reply to bigdan050: You might walk in front of an INTJ, but that's because they want you to for some reason of their own. You wouldn't 'lead' them anywhere!
 Mr-Cowdrey 01 Jun 2011
In reply to Chris Ellyatt: I too am an ENTJ! And after having a look at your profile, am slightly worried about how similar we are ...plus my main climbing partner is going to the same uni as you.
Removed User 01 Jun 2011
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:
> (In reply to Chris Ellyatt) I too am an ENTJ! And after having a look at your profile, am slightly worried about how similar we are ...plus my main climbing partner is going to the same uni as you.

You shouldn't be worried. This isn't "snake oil" and has some very applicable uses.
 teflonpete 01 Jun 2011
In reply to Elsier:

I'm an ISTJ "Inspector". Spot on!

That 3rd gear placement of yours was substandard...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...