UKC

Closest outdoor climbing to london

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Thelongcon 01 Jun 2011
Hey, new to this town and wondering where the closest outdoor climbing is to London.

I've heard of mixed reviews of the famed Southern Sandstone. Some say it'll make you give up climbing, others think it's one of their favourite crags.
It's on the to do list, but right now I'd like some sport or trad. Any ideas? Don't have a car either, so it'd have to be via train or bus.

Cheers all!
 tongodemongo 01 Jun 2011
In reply to Andrewmorts: Swanage isn't too bad to get to. Dancing Ledge you can take a train from Waterloo to Wareham, and theres a bus that take you to the town of Langton Matravers where the crags are 30mins walk. I'm from London aswell without a car and I settled with Southern Sandstone. I seriously don't think its bad at all!
 CurlyStevo 01 Jun 2011
In reply to Andrewmorts:

portland is doable by train I think you can then bus to the crags each day (you can't camp on portland AFAIK)

swanage is also very doable camping at toms field short walk to the crags.

stanage is also very doable, train to hathersage and taxi/walk to the north lees campsite (it gets very full though).
 Alun 01 Jun 2011
In reply to Andrewmorts:

Southern Sandstone is fine as a day out and you can reach High Rocks fairly easily by public transport + a bit of a walk (!). If you live in South East London you can almost make it a regular visit. The actual climbing on SS is fine in it's own way, what I don't like about it is that fact that many of the crags are becoming 'outdoor climbing walls' what with the short nature of the routes, the top-roping, and the every increasing popularity.

Without a car, you are going to spend a lot of time waiting around in stations, on trains and on buses to get anywhere. But as the poster above mentions, you can get to Stanage without a car, and indeed in summer you can get to many many crags without a car if you research local buses.
 Ben Thorne 01 Jun 2011
In reply to Andrewmorts:

Although Portland's 3.5hrs on the train and bus from Waterloo, it's feck-expensive. You're looking at over £100 if you want a day return.
 Tony the Blade 01 Jun 2011
In reply to Ben Thorne:
> (In reply to Andrewmorts)
>
> Although Portland's 3.5hrs on the train and bus from Waterloo, it's feck-expensive. You're looking at over £100 if you want a day return.

3½ hours! You can get to the Peak, S Wales, Bristol or the Wye Valley in that time.

Bristol has a multi-pitch limestone crag in the city, and it's under 2 hours by train - you could then get bus, taxi or even cycle.
 AndyE9 01 Jun 2011
the sandstones are closest to london , is ok for a day out have to be climbed on a top rope or soloed , can make for some hard climbing.
 Cú Chullain 01 Jun 2011
In reply to Andrewmorts:
> Hey, new to this town and wondering where the closest outdoor climbing is to London.
>
> I've heard of mixed reviews of the famed Southern Sandstone. Some say it'll make you give up climbing, others think it's one of their favourite crags.
> It's on the to do list, but right now I'd like some sport or trad. Any ideas? Don't have a car either, so it'd have to be via train or bus.
>
> Cheers all!

Personally I cant stand Southern Sandstone, I would rather take the extra time to head off to Portland or Swanage for the weekend then dick about on crap rock, but each to their own. Having a car helps I guess!

Failing that the rough limestone brickwork on St Mary Abbots Church at the bottom of Kensignton Church Street (just off the Ken High Street) offers some good problems.

sutty 01 Jun 2011
In reply to Andrewmorts:

Just checked out Megabus, and you could get to Sheffield on a Friday evening for £7.50, just making last bus to Hathersage I think.

Return on Sunday from Sheffield at 18.45, arriving in London at around 22.30 for same price.

Plenty to go at then.

Bookmark this page for lots of travel ideas;
http://www.seat61.com/
 mloskot 01 Jun 2011
In reply to Andrewmorts:
> I've heard of mixed reviews of the famed Southern Sandstone.
> Some say it'll make you give up climbing,
> others think it's one of their favourite crags.

Watch those "some" as they are close to say that climbing pink colour holds makes not sense, but blue and green are cool.

It's all nothing but bull***t.

Rock is rock and either you can climb it or you can not (tm)

pooh 01 Jun 2011
In reply to Tony the Blade:
> (In reply to Ben Thorne)
> [...]
>
> 3½ hours! You can get to the Peak, S Wales, Bristol or the Wye Valley in that time.
>
> Bristol has a multi-pitch limestone crag in the city, and it's under 2 hours by train - you could then get bus, taxi or even cycle.

Or even the water ferry from Temple meads to the pump house and walk.
 Kevster 01 Jun 2011
In reply to Andrewmorts:
Fairlop has artificial outside boulders. Its in london.
Bristol area is quickest and easiest, but dorset and peak aren't far off the same time in a car.
As for public transport, I have no idea, heathrow and gatwick might offer some alternatives to the 3 hours to anywhere by land in the Uk. If you have several days, cash and don't mind the evironmental concerns....
Don't forget that some SS crags require paying for admission too.
 silhouette 01 Jun 2011
In reply to Andrewmorts:
> Although Portland's 3.5hrs on the train and bus from Waterloo, it's feck-expensive. You're looking at over £100 if you want a day return.

Don't be discouraged by posters who haven't researched properly. Make that £35.
 gazhbo 01 Jun 2011
In reply to Andrewmorts:

Cheddar

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...