UKC

NEW ARTICLE: EXCLUSIVE VIDEOS: Adam Ondra - Malham 2011 - Full Story

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 03 Jun 2011
Adam Ondra at Malham, 4 kb

Exclusive videos of Adam Ondra redpointing Overshadow (9a+) and onsighting Bat Route (8c), plus interviews with Steve McClure and John Dunne:

Details, photos, interviews and videos on Adam Ondra's recent trip to Malham, Yorkshire.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=3790

alasdair19 03 Jun 2011
In reply to UKC Articles: excellent article puts 3 superb performances in perspective!
 Peter Walker 03 Jun 2011
In reply to alasdair19: Ditto. Excellent stuff.
 Ramon Marin 03 Jun 2011
In reply to UKC Articles:

Brilliant piece, thanks UKC
 Quarryboy 03 Jun 2011

Great read!
 Calder 03 Jun 2011

That footage of him onsighting Bat Route is incredible. It's just too easy for him!
 Enty 03 Jun 2011

"I heard recently a top hero begrudgingly saying Adam was good, 'but he's weak, he's no good indoors really, he has faults'."

Wonder which cock said this? Name and shame!!!

E
 UKB Shark 03 Jun 2011
In reply to Enty:
> (In reply to UKC Articles)
>
> "I heard recently a top hero begrudgingly saying Adam was good, 'but he's weak, he's no good indoors really, he has faults'."
>
> Wonder which cock said this? Name and shame!!!
>
> E

That's ridiculous. He's won the IFSC World championships in lead climbing and bouldering.

Arms Cliff 03 Jun 2011
In reply to shark: That's what was thinking: World champion = good at climbing indoors!
 kjuszczyk 04 Jun 2011
Unfortunately the only thing I see is "this is a private video", instead of Adam climbing. Can anyone help?
I must say that the whole article is excellent and inspiring.
 _MJC_ 04 Jun 2011
In reply to Enty: Considering so many people seem to think indoor climbing is not real climbing then even if it was true it is somewhat irrelevant.
 koalapie 05 Jun 2011
In reply to shark: Sure. However,if you slapped another 20lbs of 'climbing' muscle on him right now, he would surely be 'stronger' no?? But would he climb as hard right now!? Cheers.k
 GrahamD 05 Jun 2011
In reply to Enty:

Actually that sounds like a very twisted version of what Steve Mac said about him - but the gist was more along the lines of not needing to be the strongest because he is so good at every other aspect of climbing.
 rubben 06 Jun 2011
In reply to UKC Articles: Enjoyed reading this Jack, cheers!
 Alejandro S 07 Jun 2011
In reply to UKC Articles: Adam is weak indoors? He only won the lead and boulder WC back to back, the first year he entered, at 17 years of age. I bet any of these people calling him weak would get destroyed by him indoors.
 richardh 08 Jun 2011

PS. Mr Dunne might have been strong, but he couldn't turn malham round by 180 degrees just by hauling on a jug.

your photo of total eclipse is back to front, the ledge ends at the wrong end!

and if you think I'm terminally sad for noticing it, I was up on free and easy at the weekend and spotted the photo in the guide is the other way round and looks right.
 GrahamD 09 Jun 2011
In reply to Alejandro S:

> (In reply to UKC Articles) Adam is weak indoors? He only won the lead and boulder WC back to back, the first year he entered, at 17 years of age. I bet any of these people calling him weak would get destroyed by him indoors.

I think you are missing the point. Strength is only a part of AO ability. There are stronger climbers and maybe he is (at 17 to 19)weaker than other climbers at the top of the game (which is not the same as saying he is weak). Where he makes up and overtakes them may be in areas of foot placement, body position, balance, flexibility etc.
 rgd1977 12 Jun 2011
In reply to GrahamD:
> (In reply to Alejandro S)
>
> [...]
>
> I think you are missing the point. Strength is only a part of AO ability. There are stronger climbers and maybe he is (at 17 to 19)weaker than other climbers at the top of the game (which is not the same as saying he is weak). Where he makes up and overtakes them may be in areas of foot placement, body position, balance, flexibility etc.

Basically being a better climber then!
 GrahamD 13 Jun 2011
In reply to rgd1977:

Yep, thats about it. After all, if it was just all about strength Geoff Capes would have been world champion

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...