UKC

Harpur Hill Car Clamping

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sishaw 05 Jun 2011
Just a brief note to warn anyone parking up near industrial estate. Anywhere near the estate off the main road will get clampe and £90 release fee.

I was on the road next to the railings near the footpath. No lines, no signs.

I will be apealing to my injustice as there were no clear signs where I had parked, however I bet they get some up quick.

Si
In reply to simon1965:

Sorry to hear this. Harpur Hill has become well known for clamping see recent post:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=456801&v=1#x6371669
In reply to simon1965: did you ask to see their operators licence? if you do and they fail to show it you should call the police
OP sishaw 05 Jun 2011
In reply to higherclimbingwales: No was in a hurry to get my mate back for his train. I've photo'd the whole area and will use them to show lack of signage when I appeal. Thanks for advice though.

Where's best and safest place to park then?

Si
 DDDD 05 Jun 2011
In reply to simon1965:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?137863-Clamping-G...

There are ways of removing wheel clamps or so I read.
 Bulls Crack 05 Jun 2011
In reply to simon1965:

Theoretically; how long would one have to stay at Harpur Hill to be clamped?

Answer...too long
OP sishaw 06 Jun 2011
In reply to Bulls Crack: I explained I'd parked there before and I thinkit's just luck of the draw. They had clamped three cars that day.

Si
Dirk Didler 06 Jun 2011
In reply to DDDD:
> (In reply to simon1965)
>
> http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?137863-Clamping-G...
>
> There are ways of removing wheel clamps or so I read.

When i was working in a city in the east of Scotland i parked in a car park that was part of a private houseing complex, i was only going to be there to pick up tools to go to a new site so new that i would'nt be there very long, i asked the resident who was washing his car if this would be ok and he replyed that yes it would be fine, i returned with said tools 20 minutes later to find a very angry resident had placed a barrier across the entrance way and was adament that my car would have to stay there all day until someone else opened it for me(big padlock locking it) i spoke to him for half an hour explaining that i had spoken to one of his niebours and asked if it was ok to park there before i went for my tools and that i was told it would be ok other wise i would'nt have parked there, i was polite but was basically told tuff titties,i asked him if this was his last word on the matter and was told yes, i informed him that if that was the case i would have to open it myself where apon said gentleman informed me that the padlock and barrier would need more than a hammer and chisel to open it,he was right a hammer and padlock would never have opened it.............an oxy acetylene mini pak would do nicely though.
 rallymania 06 Jun 2011
In reply to Dirk Didler:

laws a bit different in scotland regarding parking though...

i don't believe clamping by anyone other than the council is permitted.
and the private parking mobs can be simply ignored most of the time
 Michael Hood 06 Jun 2011
In reply to Dirk Didler: So did he then unlock the padlock or did you get to use the oxy acetylene?

Also, if you had to use the torch, were you kind enough to "firmly" re-attach the padlock (with the barrier in place of course) once you had driven through
Dirk Didler 06 Jun 2011
In reply to Michael Hood:
> (In reply to Dirk Didler) So did he then unlock the padlock or did you get to use the oxy acetylene?
>
> Also, if you had to use the torch, were you kind enough to "firmly" re-attach the padlock (with the barrier in place of course) once you had driven through

No i waited till he left then cut out the bar the padlock goes through although one of my mates that where still on site went up later and welded it back in place with padlock still attached, i,ve often wondered if the guy phoned the cops and if he did what they said about it being cut off then welded back on again.
 grubes 06 Jun 2011
In reply to simon1965:
I have parked on grin low road before there is a footpath from behind the houses to the quarry. takes about 10 mins to the quarry I think.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=&daddr=Grin+...

Jonny2vests 20 Jun 2011
In reply to Dirk Didler:
> (In reply to Michael Hood)
> [...]
>
> No i waited till he left then cut out the bar the padlock goes through although one of my mates that where still on site went up later and welded it back in place with padlock still attached, i,ve often wondered if the guy phoned the cops and if he did what they said about it being cut off then welded back on again.

Lol, what a knob. Good effort.
 Libby Kerr 03 Jul 2011
In reply to simon1965: Clamping is still happening.
Once you turn left off the main road you are supposedly entering a private industrial estate and will be clamped if you park anywhere (sign or no sign).
I was in the car park of a vacant industrial unit... no signs within sight, and was still clamped.

Further down the main road on the left (just past the kart racing place) is a layby that seems to be fine, no-one was clamped there today.

The clamping guy said they did 80 cars today, at £90 a pop, thats a tiday packet they're making.
 caradoc 04 Jul 2011
In reply to simon1965: Thanks for the warning, it's legalised robbery and needs an act of revenge.
 odox 04 Jul 2011
In reply to simon1965:
Surprised i've not seen this on UKC news.. it's really badly signposted and not at all obvious where the 'area' of no parking is anymore.
kdr001 04 Jul 2011
In reply to rallymania:

You're right - clamping is classed as theft in Scotland since a case about 20 years ago. (Unless it's done by the council/DVLA etc)
 andybirtwistle 25 Jul 2011
In reply to simon1965:
Simon I got done in the same place next to the railings by the public footpath on 3rd July.Appealed with photos but got a standard rejection.Have you,or do you know anyone who has taken this further?Small claims court etc?Ive researched the firm and they seem to be a registered bunch of cowboys.Also very surprised that UK Climbing havent flagged it as folk are still falling into the trap
Cheers
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 25 Jul 2011
In reply to andybirtwistle:

I think it has been 'flagged' a few times already?

We are currently wondering what to recommend in the new Peak Lime guide, the normal place is a 'no no' - and if we recommend Finkle Street that may end up causing more issues.

I am going to see if there is any potential accesss from the south when I get back home.

Chris
 Lurkio 25 Jul 2011
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Isn't that Fiddle Street? That's what Google calls it. Last time I went we parked on Grin Low Road near Fiddle Street and walked up from there.
In reply to Lurkio:

I'm sure! Posting from Lofoten so excuse the error.

Chris
 Offwidth 25 Jul 2011

Why not remove street names and just say park discreetly and consideratly nearby (maybe even dump the sacks first then park so its not obvious you are climbers). Problems with residential parking can easily blow up.
> (In reply to Lurkio)
>
> I'm sure! Posting from Lofoten so excuse the error.
>
> Chris

you being in Lofoten has nothing to do with it, you show off!! :p
In reply to higherclimbingwales:
>
>
> you being in Lofoten has nothing to do with it, you show off!! :p

Except I would have needed to fire up the Peak Lime doc to check the street name - easy enough at home but a bit of a hassle up here! The last post was from my iPhone - there; showing-off again!

Chris

In reply to Offwidth:
>
>
> Why not remove street names and just say park discreetly and consideratly nearby (maybe even dump the sacks first then park so its not obvious you are climbers). Problems with residential parking can easily blow up.

A guidebook without instructions as to where to park for the crag - interesting idea - but I don't think so.

Chris
 Simon Caldwell 25 Jul 2011
> A guidebook without instructions as to where to park for the crag - interesting idea - but I don't think so.

Nothing wrong with that so long as you say why, ie that restrictions are changing/unclear so a definitive statement is impossible to make.

Presumably these places that people are getting clamped are all clearly signposted, but people are ignoring the signs as they've always parked there? If there aren't any signs then there's no right to clamp so someone who's been done should take it up with "the authorities" (whatever that means).
 Offwidth 26 Jul 2011

Parking considerately and discretely in a residential area is hardly without instructions. If everyone parks as close as possible and is really obviously a climber we will very likely get complaints from the houses at that end.
 Michael Hood 26 Jul 2011
In reply to Offwidth: I park opposite the church and walk from there, it's not opposite any houses and takes a couple of minutes longer. Mind you if everybody parked there someone might think there's been a religious revival

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...