UKC

Font Guidebook "Fontainebleau 7 + 8" or "Font A Bloc: Vol 1"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
John1923 06 Jun 2011
Which Guidebook?

I mainly climb with a club that has a range of abilities, so I want to be able to go to any crag in font, find the hard stuff and know what I am climbing.

I like the idea of the photo topos in Font A Bloc, but does it only cover a few crags?

Grade wise, I have on-sighted three font 7a's, Including the roof at Cul de Chien, and worked 7b+.

Ian Broome 07 Jun 2011
In reply to John1923:

Just reading that the Font a bloc doesn't cover milly area, a further volume planned.
I've got these two, off piste is really good for problems off the circuit, and has most things up to hardest. The other one has the circuits in and a few off piste climbs. If a few of you are going maybe worth getting both? I haven't had a good look at the font a bloc one so can't comment. Would def recommend the other two though.

http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Books-Maps-DVDs/Foreign-Climbing-Guid...

http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Books-Maps-DVDs/Foreign-Climbing-Guid...
 yogi2749 07 Jun 2011
In reply to John1923:

Hi John,

I went to font at Easter with my 3 mates. For some reason we all took the same guide book, Essential Fontainebleau which was great for finding the crags as the road maps are really good. however once there, we found it really hard in some places to find the climbs we wanted to do!

But I would still say its well worth buying it just for the maps showing where the craggs are.

Yogi
In reply to John1923:

I have all 3 mentioned in this thread.

I'd say the 7&8's is better than the font a bloc due to the amount of areas covered as well as it having less errors and clearer maps/directions.

The font a bloc is good for having the photo topos in it but there are a few errors such as lines and names and the maps aren't the best in comparison.

I second what the other guy said about Essential font - useful to getting to areas and also has the bonus of covering the classic easier problems which you obviously don't get in the 7&8's.
In reply to Richard Hession:

The Black Bible, or if you can't get it 7+8s.
John1923 08 Jun 2011
In reply to bentley's biceps:

Thanks Guys, I'll get 7+8
 JayK 08 Jun 2011
In reply to John1923:

We combined the Off-Piste guide with the Essentials which worked pretty well.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...