UKC

The Dr is in.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TobyA 08 Jun 2011
I just received my "letter of conferment" for my PhD from my university. It's the first time anything has ever been addressed to me as Dr Archer! This post is partly because I'm sat alone at home with no one to celebrate with, but also to say that over the years (and it was many, many years) lots of people on UKC really helped me out with my studies. People on university computer systems downloaded and emailed me academic journal articles I couldn't access - sometimes at bizarre times of night and day. Other people just gave me answers to odd questions that it would have taken me much longer to find out without the amazing collective knowledge of UKC users. And at all times, UKC provided a welcome distraction from the at times tedious studies. So cheers all.

And I know there are lots of you battling with your own PhDs. These things do come to an end eventually even if it does take you <cough, cough> a decade...

Dr TobyA.
 NickD 08 Jun 2011
Congratulations!

I have never had any post addressed to Dr Archer

Dr NickD
In reply to TobyA: Congratulations!

> <cough, cough>

I'd see a Doctor about that cough. Do you know one...?

T.
 Toby S 08 Jun 2011
In reply to TobyA:

Congratulations doc!

I'm always a wee bit jealous of you lot who do well academically, I can never seem to get motivated.
 Ashley 08 Jun 2011
In reply to TobyA:

Congratulations! I had my viva yesterday morning and was passed pending minor corrections to my thesis, so it's just about finished for me too.
Removed User 08 Jun 2011
In reply to TobyA:

Congrats! Whatever you do don't be a massive ponce and get you bank cards changed.

Dr. Hardon
 Tall Clare 08 Jun 2011
In reply to TobyA:

Congratulations!

kathrync 08 Jun 2011
In reply to TobyA:

Congratulations Dr Archer Feels good, doesn't it? I remember driving down the M40 after my viva on my own and having to pull over onto the hard shoulder because I was suddenly totally overcome with emotion.

All the best for whatever you do next

Dr Crouch

PS After lots of persuasion from friends and family I did change my name on my bank cards. When I got into financial trouble a couple of years later it stood me in good stead. You might feel like a ponce for doing it, but it can be worthwhile.
ceri 08 Jun 2011
In reply to TobyA: Yay!
i still find it odd when people call me Dr S, but i did enjoying getting people to call me Dr Ceri for a couple of weeks.
Removed User 08 Jun 2011
In reply to kathrync:

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaar
 kathrync 08 Jun 2011
In reply to ceri:
> (In reply to TobyA) Yay!
> i still find it odd when people call me Dr S, but i did enjoying getting people to call me Dr Ceri for a couple of weeks.

Yeah, I never got used to being Dr Crouch. As far as I am concerned that's my Dad and I am just Kathryn
OP TobyA 08 Jun 2011
In reply to kathrync: I just told me boys (7 and 5) they now have to call me Dr Daddy. They both laughed and gave their best "Daddy, you're so silly" looks, which they do a lot...
cling2 08 Jun 2011
In reply to TobyA:

Well done that man!

Nothing so inspiring as modest pride.
 Niall 08 Jun 2011
In reply to all:

Anybody fancy taking a look at my rash? :-D
OP TobyA 08 Jun 2011
In reply to Ashley:
> I had my viva yesterday morning and was passed pending minor corrections to my thesis, so it's just about finished for me too.

Good effort! Don't do what I did it and rest on your laurels, taking months to get around to doing the required changes and adding another 8 months on to the process.

The changes I had to make were all to the first chapter which was the most dull bit of the thesis and that I hadn't really looked at in years, plus I had a full time job that was busy. But nevertheless just doing it straight away would have been a much better idea!

Ramblin dave 08 Jun 2011
In reply to kathrync:
> (In reply to TobyA)

> PS After lots of persuasion from friends and family I did change my name on my bank cards. When I got into financial trouble a couple of years later it stood me in good stead. You might feel like a ponce for doing it, but it can be worthwhile.

Apparently it massively improves your chances of getting upgraded on flights, too...
 Dave Garnett 08 Jun 2011
In reply to TobyA:

Well done, especially for pressing on when you have work and family commitments. I did mine late but I was able selfishly to concentrate on it full-time and get it done quickly, which is definitely easier.

It is a special moment when you first see your new title on an envelope (the first time it appears on your business card is cool too); enjoy it.
 Niall 08 Jun 2011
In reply to Ramblin dave:

Friend of mine went out for dinner with parents to celebrate the day she got her MD and got pulled for speeding on the way home.

"What's your name Miss?"

"Doctor G*****"

"Thankyou madam, just take it easier. Bye now"
 Mr Powly 08 Jun 2011
In reply to TobyA:

Well done, years to go for me but I know it will be worth it when I get there!

(I'm currently in the positive phase that comes the week after communicating with your supervisor, ask me a week ago and I'd have felt very different!)
 Timmd 08 Jun 2011
In reply to Niall:
> (In reply to Ramblin dave)
>
> Friend of mine went out for dinner with parents to celebrate the day she got her MD and got pulled for speeding on the way home.
>
> "What's your name Miss?"
>
> "Doctor G*****"
>
> "Thankyou madam, just take it easier. Bye now"

That's it, i'm becomming a Dr.

Congratulations Toby A.

Cheers
Tim

Queenie 08 Jun 2011
In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to TobyA)
>
> Congrats! Whatever you do don't be a massive ponce and get you bank cards changed.
>
> Dr. Hardon

Heck...we've got a Dr Harden at our local surgery. But it's a she-doctor.
 lynda 08 Jun 2011
In reply to TobyA: Congratulations! I still get a smile whenever I get a letter or a call from the bank addressed to Dr Ch... 10 years on!

It is a bit poncy to change your title, but as others have said, there are perks
 Dave Garnett 08 Jun 2011
In reply to Niall:

Yes, I was pulled over one morning in Cape Town. The cop looked and my licence and asked if I was heading for Tygerberg hospital. I was and he waved me on before I could explain that I wasn't a medic.

I did feel slightly guilty. The only other time I've taken unfair advantage is when arguing with BT about needing a phone line, but I didn't feel bad about that.
 Stefan Kruger 08 Jun 2011
In reply to TobyA:

Well done!

Dr Stefan Kruger
 Swirly 08 Jun 2011
In reply to TobyA: Nice one.

Bank cards were the only thing I got changed, other's experiences had showed it did them good with the bank,when I got the new ones they just had no title on them. humph 4 years for that.
 Nigel Modern 08 Jun 2011
In reply to TobyA: As my (PhD) brother likes to point out mine is an honorary title and doesn't really count but 'greetings from another doc.'

Feels good doesn't it?
JonathanBarnett 08 Jun 2011
In reply to TobyA:

Really? Not a single "Doctor Doctor" joke from anyone?
 fimm 08 Jun 2011
In reply to TobyA:

Well done!
cb294 08 Jun 2011
In reply to TobyA:

Congratulations!

Make sure to put the Dr. on your bank cards, it is just about the only place I use my title. I can also confirm the flight upgrades rumour.

Cheers,

Dr. CB

Doug 08 Jun 2011
In reply to TobyA: Well done, & its good to know someone who took even longer than me

Are the Finns like the Germans where they string all their titles together ? I remember being surprised to be called Herr Doctor when I gave a seminar there whilst a postdoc. But then the speaker after me was introduced as Herr Professor Doctor Doctor !

Dr Doug
 winhill 08 Jun 2011
In reply to TobyA:

I was quite excited when I read this, I thought it was about Matt Smith signing up for another 14 epsidoes as The Doctor.

Still, congratulations.
 thin bob 08 Jun 2011
In reply to TobyA:
Congratulations brainiac!! Good work.

quick, is there a doctor in the house? it's a broken leg!!

I am, but my PhD is in Music

Excellent, it's the piano leg that's broken.
etc etc etc

Dr Pepper
 Toby_W 08 Jun 2011
In reply to TobyA:

Congrats.

Dr Toby_W
 tasmat 08 Jun 2011
In reply to TobyA: Congratulations Dr Archer. I read your blog every now and then, as it seems to cover my two mains areas of interest: having fun outside and politics. I'm coming to the end of political science PhD in political philosophy - although I have been saying that for a while!
 Rubbishy 08 Jun 2011
In reply to TobyA:

Congratulations Dr Toby

Sadly however, the box whilst addressed to you as Dr, was from Bruce Hooker and contained a little piece of his poo and a dead mouse.
 thin bob 08 Jun 2011
In reply to John Rushby:
> (In reply to TobyA)
>
> Congratulations Dr Toby
>
> Sadly however, the box whilst addressed to you as Dr, was from Bruce Hooker and contained a little piece of his poo and a dead mouse.

A 'Dirty Shroedinger'......ugh!
 Wee Davie 08 Jun 2011
In reply to TobyA:

Congratulations!
 stonemaster 08 Jun 2011
In reply to TobyA: Warmest congratulations Dr TobyA
 Bob Aitken 08 Jun 2011
In reply to TobyA:
Very well done, sir. Relish that moment, luxuriate in it, it's one of the great rites of passage. I have a fair idea of what it means for you, though it took me a mere 7 years ...
Yrmenlaf 08 Jun 2011
In reply to TobyA:

Well done!

Now when there's someone having a heart attack on an aeroplane, and they say "is there a doctor on board".......

Well done again.

Y.
Sarah G 08 Jun 2011
In reply to Toby;
Really, really well done you, I am so impressed- really, honest. I passed up doing an MSc because I couldn't be arsed, so I am always in admiration of those who go the extra million miles to achieve a doctorate.

I may have missed it, but what was the subject?

Again, congratulations, doc!

Sx
OP TobyA 08 Jun 2011
In reply to Sarah G:

> I may have missed it, but what was the subject?

International Relations/Security Studies. I guess loosely I'm a political scientist (although, don't worry I take the 'scientist' bit with as big a pinch of salt as most natural scientists will!). My thesis is on Finnish security policy since and the end of the cold war and in particular after European integration.
 Padraig 08 Jun 2011
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to Sarah G)

My thesis is on Finnish security policy since and the end of the cold war and in particular after European integration.

Small thesis then??

Well Done!

Pad

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...