UKC

Recommendations for warm winter sport climbing destinations!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Siobhan Miller 09 Jun 2011
Got a week free before Christmas and looking for somewhere to go sport climbing which isn't freezing?
Any ideas?
Cheers
In reply to Siobhan Miller: China, Vietnam, Thailand, Australia, Columbia, Cuba or South Africa
In reply to Siobhan Miller: Sicily? Sardinia? Kalymnos?

Might be cold at night but not too hot during day so you can climb in the sun.
 diadem 09 Jun 2011
In reply to Siobhan Miller:

Spain is worth looking at.
 PaulC 09 Jun 2011
El Portrero Chico in Mexico. Brill climbing 1 pitch to 27 pitches ( honest) 10 mins flat walk from campsite/ rooms.

Paul
 Peter Herold 18 Jun 2011
"The weather at Masua (Sardinia) is nearly always good for climbing at Christmas or in winter." From the new 5th edition of the Pietra di Luna guide to Sardinia whose translation into English I am proofing. The same for Quirra "Ideal time of year: winter" where I go in winter to climbing steep harder routes or, 5' from where we live, Santa Maria for easier routes (a couple of 7b's as well) or Campo dei Miracoli. The interview with Johhny Dawes in UP 2010 was made when he came to stay with us in Dec 2009. ciao Peter

skarabrae 18 Jun 2011
In reply to Siobhan Miller: at that time of year, you wont get cheaper than costa blanca. more than enough to keep you busy.
 Leo Woodfelder 18 Jun 2011
In reply to Siobhan Miller: El Chorro is worth looking into. Easy to get to, cheap and great climbing!
 Dave Williams 18 Jun 2011

I'd second the Costa Blanca suggestion. Further north on the Costa Daurada could be a bit too chilly for comfort. Morocco and the Canary Islands would be good then too, as would somewhere like Oman. I reckon it'd simply be too hot in most Southern Hemisphere destinations in late December.

Hope this helps.

Dave
 Microwired22 18 Jun 2011
In reply to Siobhan Miller: I've head that Turkey has some nice sport climbing..

Not been there to climb though, perhaps someone else can prove me right or wrong?

C
 joshen 18 Jun 2011
Have to agree with Costa Blanca. Google "Sella" and "Penon d ifach" to start with. Just between those two there's enough to go at for a few weeks. there's plenty more around too, everything from 1 pitch to 1000m mountain routes. We went in late November a few years ago and the weather was pretty decent.
skarabrae 18 Jun 2011

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...