UKC

Malham Access Warning

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Adam Lincoln 14 Jun 2011
The guy that lives next to the cove centre in Malham village spoke to us the other day. He voiced his concerns over people STILL, after numerous warnings already, urinating in the Cove centre car park. (This includes one women as well!) Do people not have any respect? His wife has been subject to this on various occasions as the house overlooks the car park.

If people want to get climbing at Malham banned, then this is the right way to go about it. He has influence on the parish, which in turn effects the allowed climbing at Malham.

Now not everyone reads UK Climbing, but if you could all spread the word.

Thanks.
 Cypher 14 Jun 2011
In reply to Adam Lincoln: That's absolutely disgusting. If you need to go THAT desperately, or think that you're gonna need to go at some point during the visit, take a bucket or a bottle or something. Don't just go in the bushes because it's easy.

You'd think we were stray dogs or something.
OP Adam Lincoln 14 Jun 2011
In reply to Cypher:
> (In reply to Adam Lincoln) That's absolutely disgusting. If you need to go THAT desperately, or think that you're gonna need to go at some point during the visit, take a bucket or a bottle or something. Don't just go in the bushes because it's easy.
>
> You'd think we were stray dogs or something.

Specially as there is a public toilet a stones throw away.

Mike Highbury 14 Jun 2011
In reply to Cypher: What was the sign to stop people pissing in the bushes? Commit no nuisance?
 Cypher 14 Jun 2011
In reply to Adam Lincoln: Now that's just called being bone idle and inconsiderate beyond belief. We all know public loo's aren't renowned to be state of the class facilities, yes the majority of them smell, and you might wanna watch where you tread (or sit in women's cases.) However there is no excuse to go where you please when the facilities are there.

Common sense is a lacking feature in society so it seems.

Dominion 14 Jun 2011
In reply to Cypher:

> Common sense is a lacking feature in society so it seems.

A basic lack of respect, too, or any thought for how your personal behaviour can have consequences for other people.

||-)
 muppetfilter 14 Jun 2011
In reply to Adam Lincoln: You have to wonder if these individuals would be as happy to air their bits in unsuitable plaxes if they faced the possibility of being placed on the sex offenders register. A number of times while partnered by females I have been amused and amazed at the lack of discretion displayed by peeing climbers. If you have a hamster bladder them maybe an empty comfort fabric conditioner bottle is needed ;0)
 Cypher 14 Jun 2011
In reply to muppetfilter:
> (In reply to Adam Lincoln) You have to wonder if these individuals would be as happy to air their bits in unsuitable plaxes if they faced the possibility of being placed on the sex offenders register. A number of times while partnered by females I have been amused and amazed at the lack of discretion displayed by peeing climbers. If you have a hamster bladder them maybe an empty comfort fabric conditioner bottle is needed ;0)

Lol, or skip the middle man and get a urostomy bag fitted.

Or alternatively take a leaf out of Bear Gryll's book of dirty habits and just chug your own...

Too far? lol
 pec 14 Jun 2011
In reply to Adam Lincoln: Perhaps they were French climbers, peeing in the street is de-rigeur over there
In reply to Adam Lincoln:

This does beggar belief - maybe Foredale wasn't a one off caused by a minority?

ALC
 Jon Read 14 Jun 2011
And this is definitely climbers?
They, presumably, are but a small proportion of the users of that car park.
 Tyler 14 Jun 2011
In reply to Jon Read:

To be honest I expect it probably is climbers, you can drive into the viallage on any Saturday or Sunday and the NP car park is full and cars are parked all the way back up the road but there are still places in the other place because general tourists don't know about it. Besides, if you are a tourist visiting somewhere you tend not to piss all over it once you get there.
 Ian Patterson 14 Jun 2011
In reply to Tyler:
> (In reply to Jon Read)
>
> To be honest I expect it probably is climbers, you can drive into the viallage on any Saturday or Sunday and the NP car park is full and cars are parked all the way back up the road but there are still places in the other place because general tourists don't know about it. Besides, if you are a tourist visiting somewhere you tend not to piss all over it once you get there.

Agreed almost certainly climbers - the car park behind the cove centre is basically a climbers car park, it's not clear if you don't know it whether you are actually allowed to park there. We arrived at about 10:45 last Sunday, there was only 3 or 4 cars there, as we're getting our kit sorted 2 more cars arrived both climbers - thats fairly typical.

Overall there's seems to be quite a bit of this sort of behaviour these days - bad / thoughtless parking at Kilnsey is commonplace despite a number of warnings, and it seems from the other channel that there's similar problems at Wormhill (Cheedale Cornice). It's not hard really - if you can't park sensibly then park somewhere else and walk, similar thing with toilet facilities.
 Leif Andrews 14 Jun 2011
In reply to Adam Lincoln: UNREAL! Bad fooking form.... Simple as.
 Toby Dunn 16 Jun 2011

A voluntary 'only use the cove centre if everywhere else is full' policy might be appropriate, at least for a while - the village is only another minute walk from the crag. A small price to pay for not jeopardising access to the best sport crag in the country!
In reply to Adam Lincoln: they guy didn't say it was climbers though, did he?
 Sir Chasm 16 Jun 2011
In reply to unclesamsauntibess: Perhaps they hadn't actually roped up to take a piss.
 Bulls Crack 16 Jun 2011

They must be as thick as pig dribble
 Stone Muppet 17 Jun 2011
Can someone fill me in on some context here. I don't know the car park concerned though certainly hope to visit Malham again someday.

Pissing in the bushes is perfectly normal as far as I'm concerned, hardly comparable to kiddy rape as some people here seem to be implying! Now this might not, in some people's eyes, be an appropriate spot for it. Fair enough. If people are still pissing "after numerous warnings" how are those warnings being communicated? Is there a sign in the car park? We're not all telepathic you know...
 Sir Chasm 17 Jun 2011
In reply to Stone Muppet: It's right in front of someone's house. You might like people pissing in front of your house but some people don't.
 MHutch 17 Jun 2011
In reply to Stone Muppet:

It should be pretty obvious to all except the dimmest of individuals. It's a small car park in full view of residential properties slap bang in the centre of a village.

If you think that requires an advisory notice, every village in the Dales would have to have signs throughout asking people if they wouldn't mind not relieving themselves in the bushes.

Given that there are perfectly decent public toilets a very short distance away, it beggars belief, frankly.
 Stone Muppet 17 Jun 2011
In reply to MHutch:
> If you think that requires an advisory notice, every village in the Dales would have to have signs throughout asking people if they wouldn't mind not relieving themselves in the bushes.

If there seems to be a problem with urination is it really that controversial to suggest it might require an advisory notice? This thread itself is one, after all..! And maybe a good one too, if it reaches the right people - but a signpost would of course be more likely to be read by those about to piss in the carpark.

So yes, perhaps every village in the Dales (where residents are concerned about visitor piss) should consider communicating such via signs.

Exhaustive list of such villages:
1. Malham
 staceyjg 17 Jun 2011

Maybe just a sign pointing to public toilets might do! Just a thought!
 RupertD 17 Jun 2011

If people pissing in front of my house was a problem and I had 2 options: 1) put up a sign saying "please don't piss outside my house", or 2) stop the pissing people going there entirely, I'd choose option 2. That way I wouldn't need to have a sign about pissing outside my house. The concern is that the people of Malham village would also prefer option 2.
 MHutch 17 Jun 2011

OK, just to update myself on the current norms of social behaviour regarding urination, could you help me out by answering this:

When you're strolling through your home town, and feel the need for a quick piss, do you:

a) Whip it out wherever you happen to be and do the business, regardless of who is watching (public urination being uncontroversial, and all that)
b) Hang on a bit until you reach the nearest accessible loo?

MHutch 17 Jun 2011
In reply to staceyjg:
> (In reply to Stone Muppet)
>
> Maybe just a sign pointing to public toilets might do! Just a thought!

There's one of those about 50 yards away...
 Stone Muppet 17 Jun 2011
I think you'll find it's a bit of a sliding scale. Some places are definitely bad to piss, except for a minority with no standards whatsoever. Other places are fine. And some places fall in between. Those are the problem ones, because people are going to disagree on them. And they might benefit from a discrete little sign like this one
http://www.rgbstock.com/cache1nDIKg/users/m/mz/mzacha/300/mhiFHMo.jpg

RupertD - I share your concerns entirely.
 Simon Caldwell 17 Jun 2011
Is the suggestion that people pissing in this car park will lead to climbing at Malham being banned?
Or that it will lead to use of the car park being banned?

I could understand the latter, but the former is the sort of group punishment that I've not had to cope with since junior school.
 Stone Muppet 17 Jun 2011
In reply to pmsl:
> if there was a 'like' button...

Cheers - but hey, did I just get unliked?

I'm sure there was someone on this thread yesterday with a sensible point of view, but their posts have gone too. Move along, nothing to see here.
 MHutch 17 Jun 2011

Looking at the header, your fan was Sloper, another one of the amusing but disfellowshipped around here.

I think as a middle ground, the villagers should stick down a couple of bags of those crystals you use to discourage cats from weeing on your lawn. Cue crowds of the weak-bladdered fleeing choking onto Cove Road.

PS Your 'don't piss here' sign is preposterously sexist, given the OP.
 Ian Dunn 17 Jun 2011
In reply to Toreador: The guy who's house is beside the car park is as far as I am aware on the Parish Council who also own the Cove. As the car park is exclusively used by climbers then it's not difficult to put two and two together.
Why can't people just use a bit of common sense, everyone would object to someone pissing on their doorstep and not be entirely happy having their family watching this type of behaviour, so just go and use the public toilets and stop a potential access problem before it arises.
It beggars belief that selfish ba-----rds argue about it.
 Stone Muppet 17 Jun 2011
In reply to Ian Dunn:
>
> It beggars belief that selfish ba-----rds argue about it.

Let's clear this up eh

Where did anyone on this thread say we should be allowed to piss on (a) someone's doorstep, or (b) the car park in question?

Clearly common sense is not welcome here. You can all go on living in your fantasy cloud where only stray dogs, disgusting paedos and those who consume the aqua vita itself out of a fabric conditioner bottle ever piss in public. Doubtless you aren't that bothered about access to Malham as you've all done Raindogs up there in the fantasy cloud so have little reason to return to the crag in any case!

To anyone interested in coming up with a practical solution other than calling people names on the internet I applaud you, together with the OP for raising the issue.
 metal arms 17 Jun 2011

There was a practical solution in the OP. Don't piss there. Why is this still being discussed? That last one is a rhetorical question.
 Stone Muppet 17 Jun 2011
In reply to metal arms:
>
> There was a practical solution in the OP. Don't piss there.

I haven't and never will. Obviously neither will anyone else cos everyone in the world who ever was or will be born has read this thread.
 Ian Patterson 17 Jun 2011
> (In reply to Ian Dunn)
> [...]
>
> Let's clear this up eh
>
> Where did anyone on this thread say we should be allowed to piss on (a) someone's doorstep, or (b) the car park in question?
>
Giving you the benefit of the doubt, the context of this thread is exactly that - people are pissing in the car park, which is small and right in front of somebody's house. People really shouldn't need to be told that this isn't acceptable behaviour.
 Ramblin dave 17 Jun 2011
In reply to Ian Patterson:
> [...]
> Giving you the benefit of the doubt, the context of this thread is exactly that - people are pissing in the car park, which is small and right in front of somebody's house. People really shouldn't need to be told that this isn't acceptable behaviour.

I agree with that and most people in this thread seem to agree with that but unfortunately it seems that some people DO need to be told. And everyone agreeing that they shouldn't seems unlikely to change that...
 Stone Muppet 17 Jun 2011
In reply to Ian Patterson:
> People really shouldn't need to be told that this isn't acceptable behaviour.

And yet clearly they do need to be told, hence this thread (...and also my suggestion that there might be other ways of communicating with said people). We're going round in circles!
 Enty 17 Jun 2011
In reply to Toreador:
> (In reply to Adam Lincoln)
> Is the suggestion that people pissing in this car park will lead to climbing at Malham being banned?
> Or that it will lead to use of the car park being banned?
>
> I could understand the latter, but the former is the sort of group punishment that I've not had to cope with since junior school.

Pissing in front of a parishoner's house +
80 people on the catwalk on a bank holiday.
Drilling on a Sunday.
Swearing like a trooper when you blow the redpoint.
Climbing near the Perigrine's nest.

It won't be long.

E

Enty 17 Jun 2011

Rupert D sums it up nicely:

"If people pissing in front of my house was a problem and I had 2 options: 1) put up a sign saying "please don't piss outside my house", or 2) stop the pissing people going there entirely, I'd choose option 2. That way I wouldn't need to have a sign about pissing outside my house. The concern is that the people of Malham village would also prefer option 2."

Which is exactly what I would do.

E
 sandy 17 Jun 2011
In reply to Adam Lincoln: Isn't parking in that car park a little iffy anyway? I seem to vaguely remember there being a thread on here saying that parking there may causes some problems. But maybe that has all been sorted. If not then parking there and then having a p*** would be seen as really taking the p***

OP Adam Lincoln 17 Jun 2011
> (In reply to Ian Patterson)
> [...]
>
> And yet clearly they do need to be told, hence this thread (...and also my suggestion that there might be other ways of communicating with said people). We're going round in circles!

You really do fit the forum name you decided upon. Why are you arguing the point that it needs a sign to warn people not to piss in (what is in effect) this guys back yard. It is COMMON DECENCY. Yes i piss in bushes, but where appropriate. This is very much NOT APPROPRIATE. This is obvious to anyone with any decency. If you had seen the place, i would hope you would understand. So why carry on arguing?

End of story.

Flipping eck. Some people.

Michael Ryan 17 Jun 2011
> [...]
>

> End of story.

Let's hope so.

>
> Flipping eck. Some people.

Good effort getting the message out Adam.

Let's hope word of mouth spreads it far and wide.

There are several access situations that are very important at the moment, virtually all caused by climber behaviour: parking, sanitation (pissing), access paths, insitu gear, bird restrictions.

Foredale is one of the biggest losses as it has many moderate sport climbs.

Let's hope we all wake up as a community, it is our responsibility, avoid pointing figures at each other, let's all pull together as a team.

Mick

Rich Guest 17 Jun 2011

With respect Adam... Obviously it's sensible to ask people on the forum to refrain from this pissing business outside a womens house... But suggesting that climbing at the cove could be banned because the odd person (who may or may not be a climber) has pissed in the backyard view of a resident at the opposite end of the village is just sounding a bit on the 'dramatica' end of the scale.

I mean jesus, where does it all end?... We all get held to ransom over a blanket ban on Stanage, cos someone complains that some heather got trampled!!

In reply to Cragrat Rich:
>
> With respect Adam... Obviously it's sensible to ask people on the forum to refrain from this pissing business outside a womens house... But suggesting that climbing at the cove could be banned because the odd person (who may or may not be a climber) has pissed in the backyard view of a resident at the opposite end of the village is just sounding a bit on the 'dramatica' end of the scale.
>
> I mean jesus, where does it all end?... We all get held to ransom over a blanket ban on Stanage, cos someone complains that some heather got trampled!!

You obviously know nothing about the situation then. Its a build up of a load of different things over the years. Birds. Insitu gear. Bolting out of restrictions. Not JUST this incident. The guy is a member of the parish. So please don't come on here preaching to me about Malham. You will be saying Kilnsey is fine next and isn't delicate access wise.

Rich Guest 17 Jun 2011

You're right. I've not got much idea about the background of either.
Just my reflection on the matter.

Curiously though... Is this a sport climber thing?
I mean, have they got less manners than trad climbers maybe???

[i'll get my coat now]
> Curiously though... Is this a sport climber thing?
> I mean, have they got less manners than trad climbers maybe???

Good question? I class myself as both, so...
 Rich Guest 17 Jun 2011

Surely you'd expect Trad climbers to be the 'weaker bladdered' ones??

I went for about 20 slashes in the bushes before going up Left Wall

Maybe Sport Climbing brings out the 'immediate ease and convenience' mentality in people in too many areas of life??

I had to laugh the other day when two lads 'walked in' to Kilnsey and then collapsed on their backs like they'd just arrived at cloggy!! WTF
... went on to climb 8c+ mind :/
>
> Surely you'd expect Trad climbers to be the 'weaker bladdered' ones??

Well, every last ounce counts in sport climbing, so frequent toilet breaks are needed.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...