UKC

Best approach shoe for the USA?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gcandlin 16 Jun 2011
My current salomons are about to die and Im off to the States for 3 months in September and need a replacement. Ovbiously the demands of an approach shoe out there are different to ours.

I am looking for something I can live in day to day but also are cushioned enough to put in some millage. Also want them to be light for clipping on the harness.

Thinking about the 5.10guide tennies but not sure if they are cushioned enough for longer walks?

Any suggestions/feedback welcome

G
 PM 16 Jun 2011
In reply to gcandlin: The USA's a pretty big place. You might get more replies if you said where in the US you're going, or what type of walking you're going to be doing in 'em. Are you going to be in Alaska, or Death Valley, or somewhere in between?
DEvans 16 Jun 2011
In reply

i would go for a pair of crocs with some nice thick socks.

or don't be so silly and get a pair that you like and stop thinking it's important.

thats my advice.

armus 17 Jun 2011
In reply to gcandlin:

>> Depends on the direction from which you intend to approach the USA.
 Niall 17 Jun 2011
In reply to pyle:
> (In reply to gcandlin)
>
> >> Depends on the direction from which you intend to approach the USA.

Yeah, flippers might be more useful.
 Michael Ryan 17 Jun 2011
In reply to gcandlin:

>
> Thinking about the 5.10guide tennies but not sure if they are cushioned enough for longer walks?

Guide Tennies are great for guides at the base of the crag and for doing easier climbs. Not so good for walking in. For long approaches you need an approach shoe with a rocker, or double rocker sole.....and that are also good for easy climbing in.

If you are looking at Five Ten, consider something like Insight or the Camp 4 - both perform great when climbing and are comfortable for long walk ins.

In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC: I'll second the Camp 4's. Best shoes I've ever owned. Notice I didn't include the word approach in that sentence. They are comfortable and very sticky but that probably means that they won't last as long as others although mine seem to be doing fine. I have climbed routes up to and including VS in them. They also seem to perform above average on wet rock.

Al
 winhill 17 Jun 2011
In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC:
> (In reply to gcandlin)
>
> If you are looking at Five Ten, consider something like Insight or the Camp 4 - both perform great when climbing and are comfortable for long walk ins.

Yup, I had the old quarter dome, much more comfortable for mileage.

Also Five Ten are American so spares will be easier to come by.
 alicia 17 Jun 2011
In reply to pyle:

Very good, that made me laugh!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...