UKC

Should I run?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cake 16 Jun 2011
Lots of my climbing mates run a lot and, of course it is good for them and they are fitter than me. I don't run and I don't like it, but I wonder whether I should to make me better at climbing somehow. I am lucky enough to have no fat on me at all (~9% I believe), but would I have more stamina climbing if I did run now?
 Ava Adore 16 Jun 2011
In reply to Cake:

Nope. Just climb more.
 birdie num num 16 Jun 2011
In reply to Cake:
I run (a lot) but I don't think it makes me any better at climbing. Obviously, it keeps me fitter than I would be if I didn't run, and it also helps to keep the weight off.
I have had calf injuries from time to time and have suspected that they have occurred owing to running following a hard day's climbing when my legs have been unusually tired. I think if you want to run, go running for it's own sake. I enjoy it, and find it very rewarding.
 Simon Caldwell 16 Jun 2011
In reply to Cake:
Running is unlikely to make you better at climbing, but it gives you something else to do when it's raining
 Ava Adore 16 Jun 2011
In reply to Toreador:

Running in the rain??? Ugh!
 stonemaster 16 Jun 2011
In reply to Cake: Short answer is no. Different muscles involved. Climbing muscles are for climbing, running muscles are for running.. good luck
 stonemaster 16 Jun 2011
In reply to Ava Adore: Why ugh? Just come in from a rainy session..
 _MJC_ 16 Jun 2011
In reply to stonemaster: During running is the one time that rain dosn't matter as it just dries on you!
 DancingOnRock 16 Jun 2011
In reply to stonemaster:
> (In reply to Cake) Short answer is no. Different muscles involved. Climbing muscles are for climbing, running muscles are for running.. good luck

Running will strengthen your core which will help with balance.
ice.solo 16 Jun 2011
In reply to Cake:

dont run to climb. run because you want to run.

theres a whole world of boring, annoying, persistant injuries that can go with running if its not undertaken properly.
dont start unless youre going to do it right
 Dominion 16 Jun 2011
In reply to TimR:

> Running will strengthen your core which will help with balance.

I also think that it makes you better able to deal with oxygen deprivation - or more efficient, anyway.

If you run, you have to learn to control your breathing, and that makes your body better / more efficient at maintaining a decent level of blood oxygenation, which helps prevent muscle pump and so on.

stonemaster 17 Jun 2011
In reply to TimR: As will climbing. Hence, for those with limited, climb to train for climbing. For those who are time rich, swimming, horse riding, ballet dancing, gymnastics, etc may also be considered....
 nniff 17 Jun 2011
In reply to Cake:

IMHO, and having starting running with a lot more commitment over the past year, it improves your recovery time. As I am fairly feeble, relying extensively on low cunning and deviousnesss rather than strength, I find this very welcome
What Goes Up 17 Jun 2011
In reply to Cake: If you don't enjoy it you won't keep it up anyway. How about other activities which might bring something different to the table - swimming, kayaking, cycling...
OP Cake 17 Jun 2011
In reply to nniff:
> (In reply to Cake)
>
> "it improves your recovery time. "
This is the kind of thing I was wondering about. I should imagine a session climbing will improve the core strength required for climbing better than running. But would regular running (improving oxygen intake, heart function, etc on a whole-body level) give me something over a climbing stamina session

kathrync 17 Jun 2011
In reply to Cake:

I've been running for about the last 18 months. Running hasn't improved my climbing per se. I can't say I have noticed any difference with recovery times or anything.

It has made me fitter overall so I can handle long walk ins and long days better. As I do most of my climbing in Scotland, I can only think of this as a good thing, and it makes alpine trips much more pleasant as well.

I think it is worth doing some form of cardio exercise if you aren't already, not for the benefits specifically to climbing but because of the more general benefits that CV fitness brings (and because a good cardio session gives me a high like (almost!) nothing else!). However, as others have said, if you don't like running, don't do running. It's hard on your body and you won't stick to it if you don't enjoy it. There are plenty of other things you could do which would give you just as much benefit.
 TicTacBigToe 17 Jun 2011
In reply to Cake: if It's mountaineering you do then do as much cardio as possible! But god running is boring isn't it!
 steveriley 17 Jun 2011
In reply to Cake:
Too much running* has withered my arms. Some kind of cross training is good for everyone though. Running is about as low faff as you can get, doesn't need much gear and is always there.

* Too little climbing might also come into it.
cariva 17 Jun 2011
In reply to kathrync: well placed "(almost!)" right there!
 Simon Caldwell 17 Jun 2011
In reply to TicTacBigToe:
> But god running is boring isn't it!

Go orienteering instead - the thinking person's running!
 Scarab9 17 Jun 2011
In reply to Cake:

it will benefit your fitness overall, but if you're thinking of doing something to improve climbing then do some more climbing training (whether that be actual climbing, or something that is simulating the same sort of exercise like pullups or hill walking depending on what type of climbing you're working towards). You may notice your climbing improve from running, but if you don't like it then you'll benefit more from doing something more focused on what you're after.
 DancingOnRock 17 Jun 2011
In reply to stonemaster:
> (In reply to TimR) As will climbing. Hence, for those with limited, climb to train for climbing. For those who are time rich, swimming, horse riding, ballet dancing, gymnastics, etc may also be considered....

The problem with climbing is that you need rest days and you can't climb hard everyday or you will just get injured. Cross train every other day. Running/Swimming/Cycling. Running to the wall is an effective warm up. Running for 30mins on a rest day isn't exactly a massive time investment.
 Michael Ryan 17 Jun 2011
In reply to Cake:
> Lots of my climbing mates run a lot and, of course it is good for them and they are fitter than me. I don't run and I don't like it, but I wonder whether I should to make me better at climbing somehow. I am lucky enough to have no fat on me at all (~9% I believe), but would I have more stamina climbing if I did run now?

Fell running has improved my climbing; I'm fitter, lighter, recover quicker, have more energy.... my grade has increased. I enjoy climbing even more now.
Removed User 17 Jun 2011
In reply to Cake:

I see you climb about HVS. You don't need a great deal of fitness to do that so while you may feel better for more exercise I doubt you'll climb better.

Have a read at Dave MacLeod's book http://www.davemacleod.com/shop/9outof10climbers.html . It'll give you a lot of ideas about how you can get your grade up, running probably won't be one of them.
 Simon Caldwell 17 Jun 2011

Here's an example of just how tedious running can be

http://climbing.me.uk/LAMM2011/slides/P6120089.html
 The New NickB 17 Jun 2011

Running is far from boring, but I always have great company, even when running on my own. Lots of running at the expence of climbing will make you climb worse, I am a good example of that.
OP Cake 17 Jun 2011
In reply to Cake:
I'm fit enough to walk up to Stanage for a session! I definitely don't need to lose weight yet. The general consensus seems to be only run if you enjoy it, so perhaps I'll get back into cycling as I enjoy that. I guess all the people who run and climb are just better rounded people than me. Spare time is something I don't have loads of, so perhaps some pull-ups etc., in those snatches that I do get?
OP Cake 17 Jun 2011
In reply to Removed User:

> "I see you climb about HVS... Have a read at Dave MacLeod's book"

I definitely come into the category "average climber, not improving fast". I have read Dave's training blog quite a bit and he seems to know his stuff. An investment in the book is a good plan

jkarran 17 Jun 2011
In reply to Cake:

If you're fit and light enough then it'll not do much for your climbing, you may even find it simply eats evenings and leaves you too tired/sore to climb. There's an strong argument for 'If you don't like it don't do it!'.

If on the other hand you find yourself gasping for breath at the top of a short route then a bit of extra fitness probably won't hurt. Don't expect big gains but I can certainly feel the difference when I'm fit, I just have a little more left in the tank and a little bit more control. For me I guess the difference between fit and unfit is worth maybe a + or a whole F-letter though it's hard to tell, gains in one area tend to come with gains in others at times of increased motivation/participation.

jk
 Michael Ryan 17 Jun 2011
In reply to Cake:
> (In reply to Cake)

> general consensus seems to be only run if you enjoy it

What? Enjoy the pain? The pain becomes addictive. I only enjoy it when I'm suffering!

DancingOnRock 17 Jun 2011
In reply to Cake: Maybe the issue is that "running" covers such a huge discipline. Look at the build of 100-400m runners, not exactly lightweight are they? There seems to be a growing trend that you're not a real runner unless you've done a marathon. People are going up through the distances 5k,10k, half and marathon as quickly as they can. This is where you wear yourself out, get injured and lose weight. Running 3 miles a night at 9-10min/mile is not going to do anyone any harm or make them too tired to climb. That's just ridiculous.
OP Cake 17 Jun 2011
In reply to jkarran:
I climb on grit 90% of the time, so rarely have to gasp for breath at the top of a route! We'll see if it's different when I go multi-pitch climbing in Wales this weekend
 kathrync 17 Jun 2011
In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC:
> (In reply to Cake)
> [...]
>
> [...]
>
> What? Enjoy the pain? The pain becomes addictive. I only enjoy it when I'm suffering!

Ha, I think I enjoy it most AFTER I've been suffering
 Exile 17 Jun 2011
In reply to Cake:

It's probably been said, but it will help you climb better if the climb is at the end of a long walk in or if you need to loose weight.
OP Cake 20 Jun 2011
In reply to Cake:
Okay, so I don't NEED to run, that's settled. However. I have a new problem. I did Dream of... at Gogarth and found myself on the rock for 5 hours. My calves were kiling me at the end, and I wsn't up to much the next day. How can I get them fitter? Stand on the skirting-board for hours? Do some grit slabs really slowly?

Ta
 bobtheclimber 20 Jun 2011
In reply to Cake: never run,i ran once big mistake
 LakesWinter 16 Jul 2011
In reply to Cake: Go ice climbing, then calf pain rock climbing will be a thing of the past
 SonyaD 16 Jul 2011
In reply to Cake: Running won't get your calfs stronger for slab climbing, probably make them worse! In my experience anyway. I've got a damaged left calf and running has made it even tighter. I find even the easiest of ice routes extremely painful on the calfs.

What I know to do is stand on the edge of a step on one foot and do heel dips, then up onto your toes, repeat 10x on each side and do several times a day. When you find that too easy, add weights.

I just end up with severe cramp in my calf that leaves bruising when I try the above

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...