UKC

ATC Guide and multiple carabiners

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
needvert 17 Jun 2011
Given in guide mode the ATC guide can be a dog to pull rope through with the rope running over one carabiner, how do people feel about running the rope over two carabiners? (And where do we draw the line, is three too many?)

It's not mentioned in the manual, nor have I seen any reliable source stating its fine. But...It sure makes pulling rope easier with 10-10.5mm ropes.
In reply to needvert: get a reverso
 iksander 17 Jun 2011
In reply to needvert: Are you using a screwgate with a nice round radius? I-beam crabs can be a bit sticky
 TobyA 17 Jun 2011
In reply to needvert:
> Given in guide mode the ATC guide can be a dog to pull rope through with the rope running over one carabiner,

Having used the ATC guide with lots of different ropes and krabs over many years, I think you might be doing something wrong, because I've never found it a problem. It helps to be a metre away from it so that the ropes are relatively parallel, so it doesn't work too well on constricted belays.
 mlmatt 17 Jun 2011
In reply to needvert:

Having used a reverso 2 in the same format loads of times, I'll agree with Tody. On a cramped belay it's always really hard to pull a guide plate through. Somethings you can do are use rounded 'biners and a thinner rope, but the secong might be a rather expensive option.
needvert 17 Jun 2011
Hmm, thanks. I'll experiment with different distances. I have been standing rather close...

TobyA 17 Jun 2011
In reply to needvert:
> I have been standing rather close...

That makes sense then. Where I climb we often belay from big trees at the top of the cliffs (lots of forest here!) so often I'll set the ATC up on sling round the tree, then walk back to the cliff edge so I can see the second and use the rope to secure myself. The ATC might be 2 - 5 metres aways from me, but has always worked fine in the guide mode.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...