UKC

Whens the next DWS Festival in the UK?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mike Goldthorp 18 Jun 2011
Noticed a few awesome photos of deep water soloing festivals at Lulworth, Swanage and Pembroke, looks like an amazing vibe with loads of people and presumably loads of splashdowns n all sorts of wicked fun!

Anyone have any news on when the next one due in the UK could be?

Who is it that organizes them? I would happily volunteer some time to help with the organization of it, really keen for it!

Mikey G

mloskot 05 Jul 2011
I'm also looking for any info on the UKs as well as Spanish DWS festival(s).
Anyone?
 stonemaster 06 Jul 2011
In reply to Mike Goldthorp: You can always put together a 'fringe' version at short notice depending on weather. Good weather is a must for maximum fun. Good luck.
 Yanis Nayu 06 Jul 2011
In reply to Mike Goldthorp:

really keen for it!
>

I believe the correct term is "psyched", although not usually with the letters in that order.

stonemaster 06 Jul 2011
In reply to wayno265: dehcysd, yeschpd, chesdyp?
 madasten 15 Jul 2011
I've also been looking but can't find any reference to a DWS festival this year. We had a weekend at Swanage last week but despite perfect weather on Sunday the Conger area was deserted. Weird.

A smallish group of us are thinking of going back down (from Nottingham to Swanage) in a few weeks, maybe the August bank holiday weekend. I'd be interested to know if anyone else fancies joining us?

Bill.
 Simon 15 Jul 2011
In reply to mloskot:
> I'm also looking for any info on the UKs as well as Spanish DWS festival(s).
> Anyone?

The last formal DWS in the Costa blanca was last year.

I think there will be an informal one this year - see the Orange House Website for details.

Cheers

Si
 Wft 15 Jul 2011
In reply to madasten:

From the sounds of it this might be a "if you build it, they will come" scenario. Bank holiday weekend in August, DWS meet. Add details here.......
 Langer 15 Jul 2011
In reply to GuyVG: Sounds Like a plan! I'll try and gather some people together and spread the word....Although nit to loudly.
 The Pylon King 15 Jul 2011

Theres probably one in Cheddar this weekend given the forecast
 richardh 15 Jul 2011

sure I saw something along the lines of they can't arrange a formal one due to litigation or insurance issues from previous events?

could be utterly utterly wrong, but I think it's the case.
 cfer 15 Jul 2011
In reply to Mike Goldthorp: I would be up for this if anyone would be coming down from London way and wants to split costs?
 Wft 15 Jul 2011
In reply to Langer:

As long as it's informal, which I assume this is, it should be fine. Having never been to this area, is the best place to set up base for a large group the conger area? the deep water guide sure makes it look that way or should it change up to a new venue?
 madasten 20 Jul 2011
In reply to GuyVG:

Well I've only been for one day and only to the Conger area but I'd say it's a pretty good starting point. It's easy to find (there are two great stonking pylons where you turn off the clifftop path), the water is very deep, fallout zones are safe, routes are easy and top quality, plus there are good viewing points from the clifftop so spectators actually have something to spectate.

We camped on a fairly hidden spot on the clifftop but got kicked off early the next morning by a grumpy land tenant (who actually tried to charge us £10 each tent on the basis that the nearest campsite costs £5 per tent and we had a better view - I actually can't fault her logic). For a larger group we'd be best walking a mile or so to the nearby campsite rather than risk causing any more grief for the farmer.

Let's make it a date then - weather permitting, we'll be there on Aug bank holiday!
 Sam Mayfield 27 Jul 2011
In reply to Simon:

Hi Si

very informal this year as too many other things going on.

We have a few guys booked already from the 13th onwards and will have the boats out when needed.. :0)

Sam Orange
 philipivan 27 Jul 2011
In reply to madasten:

When you say easy routes, how easy are the ones where you can't hit anything if you fall off? What sort of fall lengths are you talking about? Sounds fun!
 madasten 24 Aug 2011
In reply to philipivan:
Troubled Waters is the about the easiest quality 'safe' route at sport grade 5 ish, and there are also a few low 6's. By 'safe' I mean that the water is 9m deep and the cruxes are generally low, however to fall from the top would be around 15m; exciting, but still safe if you fall correctly.
 madasten 24 Aug 2011
In reply to madasten:
Weather permitting, a few of us are still planning on heading down to Connor Cove area at Swanage on Saturday/Sunday this weekend (Saturday if weather is good, otherwise Sunday) until Monday. As well as the obvious sun we also ideally need low winds (or at least blowing offshore) as strong, onshore winds can cause big waves which can make DWS a very different proposition! Last time we were there it was over 20 degrees C and clear skies, which I admit were the only things I checked on the forecast, however we got there to find strong winds blowing from the south which caused 80' waves to crash over the top of the cliff! Not exactly perfect.

Anyway, fingers crossed for the right conditions and I hope to see some of you down there.

Bill.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...