UKC

DMM Nutbuster - is it marking your nuts?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ksjs 18 Jun 2011
Bought this recently as liked the chunky and easily gripped rubber handle. It seems however that it marks nuts when taking them out more than my previous nut key. Think it might be down to the narrow 'blade'. Anyone else noticed this?
 Dan Lane 18 Jun 2011
In reply to ksjs:

If you dont like it feel free to leave the nut in place and let me know where it is, i'm sure i could manage to get over a slight scratch in a nut i've just hit with a nut key.
DragonsDoExist 18 Jun 2011
In reply to ksjs:

Does it mark it more/ as much as the rock does?
 MJ 18 Jun 2011
In reply to ksjs:

Maybe the "chunky and easily gripped rubber handle" means that you are hitting the nut harder?

FrJ 18 Jun 2011
In reply to ksjs:
Not noticed marking, but I have noticed that the narrower blade is easier to use in tight spaces. Even if it did mark a bit more, a good compromise.
OP ksjs 19 Jun 2011
In reply to ljb_home: Yes, I think it does.
OP ksjs 19 Jun 2011
In reply to FrJ: Not sure about the compromise, I don't really want to be 'slicing' my nuts every time I take them out. To be honest I need a bit more time to test / make up my mind. The incident that made me query this was a nut I fell on so obviously it would be well stuck and therefore require extra effort to remove. It seems however that the Nutbuster may also mark nuts more in 'typical' placements also. Jury out for now...
 hexcentric 19 Jun 2011
In reply to ksjs:
Not a winter climber then....? One season in the Cairngorms and all your 5,6 and 7s will look like chewed toffees.

skarabrae 19 Jun 2011
In reply to hexcentric: im at a loss to why someone would bother to post this thread!! fecking scratches on nuts!!!!!!!! eh!!!
skarabrae 19 Jun 2011
In reply to hexcentric: & his profile says he`s been climbing 4-10 year!!!!!!

& your nuts are getting scratched???!!!!!!!!!!
 Batcloud 19 Jun 2011
In reply to davey_briggs:
> (In reply to hexcentric) im at a loss to why someone would bother to post this thread!! fecking scratches on nuts!!!!!!!! eh!!!

Now if the thread title had been 'Scratching my Nuts' - fair play !

itsThere 19 Jun 2011
In reply to Batcloud: he didnt say which nuts they are scratching
 Mike Nolan 19 Jun 2011
In reply to itsThere: Or who's.
OP ksjs 20 Jun 2011
In reply to davey_briggs: One nut key doesn't (excessively) mark nuts, the next does (or at least seems to in a certain instance); it's a new design, looks thin to me versus my old one and I'm wondering if DMM have got it wrong.

I'd prefer my nuts to last more time rather than less so I post to see if anyone else has noticed the same. Not that weird / exceptional surely?
skarabrae 20 Jun 2011
In reply to ksjs: as someone else has mentioned, try winter climbing, they get hammered in & end up chewed, still work fine & will last a lifetime(so long as you dont bugger the wires with the axe pick!)
yes a nut key will scratch the nuts & yes it will do this deeply if they`ve been weighted or are seated really well. i wouldnt give it a seconds thought!
 Timmd 21 Jun 2011
In reply to ksjs:
> (In reply to davey_briggs) One nut key doesn't (excessively) mark nuts, the next does (or at least seems to in a certain instance); it's a new design, looks thin to me versus my old one and I'm wondering if DMM have got it wrong.
>
> I'd prefer my nuts to last more time rather than less so I post to see if anyone else has noticed the same. Not that weird / exceptional surely?

Don't worry about it. ()
 Hat Dude 21 Jun 2011
In reply to ksjs:

Clip it on the back of your harness is the obvious answer to the thread title
 jkarran 21 Jun 2011
In reply to ksjs:

> One nut key doesn't (excessively) mark nuts, the next does (or at least seems to in a certain instance); it's a new design, looks thin to me versus my old one and I'm wondering if DMM have got it wrong.
> I'd prefer my nuts to last more time rather than less so I post to see if anyone else has noticed the same. Not that weird / exceptional surely?

There's a world of difference between marking and damaging. I bet you bin them with frayed wires (not nutkey related) long before you wear a significant groove/pit in any of the faces with your nutkey. Nuts get beat to hell and end up ugly, it's no big deal.

jk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...