UKC

How long have the DMM recalls taken?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 radioactivekid 19 Jun 2011
Had an email five weeks ago confirming that they had received my dragon cams. But I've not heard anything since. Anybody know how long the cams are taking to be sent back? Missing them dearly.
 jimjimjim 19 Jun 2011
In reply to radioactivekid: I'll get hammered for this but...you're not the only one. I've got mate who's been waiting ages for his. You can't complain on here though, or even suggest that they're anything other than amazing or else the sycophantic ukc dmm mob will have you.
Camalot anyone?
 Run_Ross_Run 19 Jun 2011
In reply to jimjimjim:
> Camalot anyone?

No thanks. Already got four.

In reply to radioactivekid:

There has been several other threads about this. Seems like a lot of people have got theirs back within a few weeks as I did, but some people have had to wait longer and have had to chase DMM.

Sounds like that they have responded pretty well to messages and sorted out any problems.
 TobyA 19 Jun 2011
> Had an email five weeks ago confirming that they had received my dragon cams.

Probably took them about that long to get mine back to me in Finland. It's obviously been a bit of a nightmare for a small company to deal with - but emailing them to find out when you can expect them back doesn't seem unreasonable. I got a prompt and helpful response when I emailed to check up.
 Dominion 19 Jun 2011

> Had an email five weeks ago confirming that they had received my dragon cams. But I've not heard anything since.

Have you contacted them since? Might be worth a try...
 ChrisHolloway1 19 Jun 2011
In reply to jimjimjim: I could have put money on you being the first to comment on this one :P
 Mike Nolan 19 Jun 2011
In reply to Dominion: To be honest, we shouldn't need to. It's not down to the customer to be chasing them to find out what's going on. 5 weeks is a long time to wait and this isn't an isolated incident either now.

OP: I've been waiting about 5 weeks too now. I received no confirmation they'd received my cam, after emailing them they told me it would be two weeks - they'd already had it two weeks . This was 3 and a half weeks ago and I've still not got my cam.

I'm buying from BD in the future, they're probably better anyway.
 jimjimjim 19 Jun 2011
In reply to ChrisHolloway1: And it wouldn't be the same without you.
 jimjimjim 19 Jun 2011
In reply to Mike Nolan: amen.
 TobyA 19 Jun 2011
In reply to Mike Nolan:

> I'm buying from BD in the future, they're probably better anyway.

BD have had a number of recalls too (as are Petzl currently). My mate even broke a top of the range BD krab - so I think you're kidding yourself if you think one good company is much better than another.
 Mike Nolan 19 Jun 2011
In reply to TobyA: I bet they wouldn't make you wait 5 weeks.
 jimjimjim 19 Jun 2011
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to Mike Nolan)
so I think you're kidding yourself if you think one good company is much better than another.

Err...he didn't say that. He said be buying from bd in future because he's had bad service from dmm and thinks bd are 'probably' better. I think that's reason enough to take your business elsewhere.
 Monk 19 Jun 2011
In reply to Mike Nolan:
> (In reply to TobyA) I bet they wouldn't make you wait 5 weeks.

I bet they would - BD repairs have to be sent back to the USA.

I agree that this whole Dragon debacle has damaged DMM, but I still think that they are one of the better companies out there.
 lost1977 19 Jun 2011
In reply to Mike Nolan:

wasn't it only a while ago that everyone was praising DMM for choosing to recall items so quickly ?
 Mike Nolan 19 Jun 2011
In reply to Monk: Well, you have no evidence which suggests they would take longer than DMM, therefore I think I have a pretty good reason to buy BD in the future.
 Mike Nolan 19 Jun 2011
In reply to lost1977: I wouldn't know, I've never praised them for the recall. It's always inconvenienced me.

I don't see why people are defending DMM. They've messed up really badly and I really can't find any positives!
 Monk 19 Jun 2011
In reply to Mike Nolan:

Don't get me wrong - I'm not defending DMM above BD etc, just think that you are wrong about the difference in service. I've had cams reslung by DMM before without too much trouble, but Camalots have to be sent back to the States to be reslung. I do agree that I am glad I didn't buy any Dragons pre-recall though - I wouldn't have been impressed, and I have been mildly bewildered by all the people on here saying how marvelously DMM are handling it all. Despite all that, I still totally rate DMM gear and wouldn't hesitate to buy more. I also really rate BD kit too, and can see why you'll be switching to them.
 TobyA 19 Jun 2011
In reply to Mike Nolan:
> I bet they wouldn't make you wait 5 weeks.

Perhaps not, but then looking at their website they've had a lot more practice at recalling gear: http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/about-us/company/recalls

My serious point is that I think you are going disappointed in life if you can't just see this as one of those annoying things that happens from time to time. Of course trying a different brand in the future is perfectly reasonably thing to do, but just don't think this doesn't happen to other good brands as well.
 Dominion 19 Jun 2011
In reply to Mike Nolan:

> (In reply to Dominion) To be honest, we shouldn't need to. It's not down to the customer to be chasing them to find out what's going on. 5 weeks is a long time to wait and this isn't an isolated incident either now.

You are right, it shouldn't be down to the customer chasing them.

However, if it was five weeks, I'd do it. What harm does it do to chase them up? Is it particularly difficult or strenuous to do?

Communications do get lost, and email, however much it is touted to be instant and infallible, is not necessarily so. There may be, for example, a missed communication between the OP, and DMM where they have asked him to confirm a delivery address as the item has been returned to them, and his email box is full. Spam filters can get in the way. All sorts of potential pitfalls.

That's an extreme example, and not meant as an excuse, but that does not mean it isn't possible.

So I'd get back in contact with them, and ask them for an update. By phone and/or email.

What harm does it do to do that?
 jimjimjim 19 Jun 2011
In reply to Dominion:

> What harm does it do to do that?

It wont do Mike any harm but as more and more people seem to have to do this it must be doing some harm to dmm?
 Soap 19 Jun 2011
In reply to radioactivekid: It took me 5 weeks to get mine back, I never recieved an email so I rang them and they were quite helpful. Personally I was happy to wait but I can understand why people would be getting edgey.
In reply to Dominion: Yeah, I sent them an email asking if they had any idea how long it would be but I've had no reply. That was from about 2 weeks ago.
In reply to Soap: Yeah I've sent an email to no reply, so I'll try ringing them. I don't really mind waiting too much. I'd just like to know the sort of time frame so I can plan when I'm nexted out.
 mlmatt 20 Jun 2011
In reply to TobyA:

Surely having a lot of practise at recalling gear isn't a good thing?
 Monk 20 Jun 2011
In reply to mlmatt:

I think that you may have missed the point Toby was trying to make...
 TobyA 20 Jun 2011
In reply to Monk: ...and indeed missed the winky smilely as well!
 Dominion 20 Jun 2011

> Yeah, I sent them an email asking if they had any idea how long it would be but I've had no reply. That was from about 2 weeks ago.

Ok, fair enough.

However, it's worth pointing out that actually sending an email is no guarantee that it will arrive at their end, or that your mailbox will not put their response in your junk mail folder, or it will get marked as spam before it gets to you, or that your mail-provider hasn't been blacklisted (even briefly) so that they never got your email in the first place.

So, I'd phone them, now.

An aside:

I speak from experience with that lot, as I spent a lot of hours (over a period of 2 or 3 weeks) with an irate customer who was convinced of the fact that a company in the USA who send him a lot of business via email were being blocked by our mail server, and I could tell him until I was blue in the face that their emails were not even reaching our server, so he needed to speak to the senders because the issue was clearly at their end.

Eventually, I asked him to give me a technical contact at the sender's end and with the sender, and - bearing in mind timezones - he started receiving emails from them within 24 hours.

His response?

"It's started working again now, what did you change?"

My answer?

"I spoke to the sender, who had somehow managed to put your email address into a filter which blocked them sending emails to you. I didn't have to change anything, because, as I suggested earlier, the problem was at their end."

I got no response from our client, not even a "Oops, sorry, thank you for your time"

fire_munki 24 Jun 2011
Hope it doesn't take too long, due to checking my #5 and it being fine I assumed my #4 was the same. Was cleanuing them last night and its not so off it goes today.
In reply to fire_munki: Got them back after I rang them to see where they were. So mine took just over five weeks. I defo recommend ringing them after four weeks just to check. They were friendly and happy to help.
 Hannes 24 Jun 2011
In reply to radioactivekid: Definitely ring them if it is taking a long time, they make nice kit but they seem to be awfully disorganised at times, for example how can you send my cams to the wrong person and not realise?
 fire_munki 19 Jul 2011
Got mine yesterday, should have been sat but my letter box was too small!
got a free spectre 2 krab as well which was nice. Only one weekend climbing missed as the other was very very wet and a bit drunk.
Good turn around for me but then I did only send of after the rush.
 Mike Nolan 19 Jul 2011
In reply to fire_munki: 7 Weeks for me. Spectre 2 is pretty though!
 jimjimjim 19 Jul 2011
In reply to Mike Nolan: 7 weeks...i'm saying nothing.....
 Mike Nolan 19 Jul 2011
In reply to jimjimjim: Haha, don't.
 Si dH 19 Jul 2011
In reply to TobyA:
>
> [...]
>
>
> BD have had a number of recalls too (as are Petzl currently). My mate even broke a top of the range BD krab - so I think you're kidding yourself if you think one good company is much better than another.

That's interesting as so, recently, did a friend of mine.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=465459&v=1#x6460694

I'd never imagined a krab would break until this happened.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...