UKC

whats your Approach and why

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 andyd1970 24 Jun 2011
Hi just wondering what approach shoes you all use. I have had the Scarpa Mystics and they didn't feel comfy on long Approaches.I have now sold them and I am on the verge of ordering the La sportiva Boulder x's
 Kane L. 24 Jun 2011
In reply to andyd1970: I got a pair of hiking boots that were on sale at gooutdoors. Bodmin... I forget the rest but I got them cause they were cheap, turns out they are really comfy for the approach and stiff enough to do low graded solo routes.
 Ava Adore 24 Jun 2011
In reply to andyd1970:

5.10s. Very comfortable and great for scrambling in
 higher.alpine 24 Jun 2011
In reply to andyd1970:

Boulder X's. Very good and amazingly grippy on rock, but not so good on steep grass or wet soil. Also hiked long distances in them, they make up for what they lack in the comfort department - afforded by proper hiking boots - in toughness, being lighter than boots, and excellence on rock. And remember that there is no perfect footwear for all occassions. I love mine.
 More-On 24 Jun 2011
In reply to andyd1970: As I said the other week the new Inov8 Griproc 325s are excellent. Stiff front edge to climb v diffs without issue, but flexible enough behind this for comfortable walking. My mate has the Boulder Xs and really likes them - althought to me they seem rather heavy and inflexible as I wear Inov8 everyday for work and play so I like (and am used to their) lightweight nature.

So the usual caveat applies - whatever fits best...
 More-On 24 Jun 2011
In reply to More-On: I should also add the Griproc tread is far better than the Boulder X on grass and mud.
 jkarran 24 Jun 2011
In reply to andyd1970:

Some tired brown leather loafers, I think they were from Next ~2007.
jk
 john arran 24 Jun 2011
In reply to andyd1970:

Sandals I got from Decathlon for a tenner.
If it's a particularly hard or long approach I might put my old trainers on.
In reply to andyd1970:

Whatever fell-running shoes I happen to be using at the time.

ALC
 Monk 24 Jun 2011
In reply to andyd1970:

Normally a cheap pair of trainers that I got in a sale for about a tenner. At the moment though, I am mostly using a pair of my old and quite trashed trail running shoes.
 Robert Durran 24 Jun 2011
In reply to andyd1970:

My approach is not to fall for the marketing hype of giving something most people already have a special name and then convincing us to fork out silly amounts of money for what is actually just a glorified pair of trainers.

I use my Walshes or a £10 pair of trainers from Decathlon.
 More-On 24 Jun 2011
In reply to Robert Durran: Depends on the end usage doesn't it. If you simply want something to walk to the crag in and then swap to your rock shoes then I'm with you all the way. However, if you want something to wear all day for a walk that involves scrambles or easy climbs then I'm happy to have spent the money on my Griprocs as they so much more than glorified trainers. May be if I were a better climber I wouldn't think so, but as walker who is getting to grips with climbing I find the stiffness and sticky rubber very reassuring on small or wet holds.
 david14 24 Jun 2011
In reply to andyd1970: Salomon mid height jobbies on the approach, have yet to decide on a pair for the walk out.
 The New NickB 24 Jun 2011
In reply to andyd1970:

Whatever I like the look of in the sales, I have bought Solomon, Merrell and Mammut over the last few years. I have also used Inov8 X Talon 212s which are great for going lightweight in the mountains, but not so great for climbing beyond an easy scramble.
 mlmatt 24 Jun 2011
In reply to andyd1970:

In the summer, just my feet seem to do for most approachs. Ok so I might get a few odd looks dusting off the soles of my feet as I wander to the crag, but unless there scree underfoot it makes for a really nice was to walk.

Failing that some 5.10 Guide tennies
 Fluvial 24 Jun 2011
In reply to andyd1970:

Innov8 the cheaper ones and 5.10 camp 4's only not at the same time. Inov8 are great for moreorless everything including biking, running, walking and going to the pub in. Camp 4's are better on steeper stuff.
Failing all them and it's just a walk in to the boulder or climb - a pair of imitation crocs. nie to air the feet afterwards in and get off and on easily
 higher.alpine 25 Jun 2011
In reply to andyd1970: I'd add that if you want rock performance, nothing else will beat Boulder X's in that department, apart from rock shoes. You tighten the laces which uniquely go down to your toes and now you can do precise movements, edgeing ain't bad either. They're far more solid & grippier than a pair of trainers or approach shoes. I don't really mind that I can't wear them down the pub without looking silly, I bought them for scrambling
 johnnorman 25 Jun 2011
In reply to andyd1970:

Just wear the trainers/shoes you wear every day, you know they will be comfy and your feet will be happy
 Kafoozalem 25 Jun 2011
In reply to andyd1970:
I briefly had some god-awful Hi Techs with that crappy carbon rubber sole which guarantees injury if you step on wet rock.
Having come to the conclusion I was more likely to damage myself on the walk in or at the crag base I bought some Five Ten Insights and then Camp Fours and have never looked back.
ice.solo 25 Jun 2011
In reply to andyd1970:

whatever suits my mood from a boxful of burned out running shoes.

i find 'approach shoes' to specific to very little. there are other shoes better for climbing, trails, hiking, hanging about and resting feet in. im just not sold on the idea.
 Timmd 25 Jun 2011
In reply to andyd1970:

It'd depend where I was going I suppose?

I've nearly always worn trainers walking to Burbage or Stanage, and it's always been dry at the time, where if it was in the lakes and I had further to walk aon uneven ground I might wear soft walking boots.

I've got some Karrimor Equator Low 2 trainers which cost 20 pounds from TK Maxx with walking boot type soles which would be better than old trainers if it was muddy, so i'd probably wear those if it was wet.

I'm not climbing hard at the moment, i'd probably wear my Karrimors becauae i'm wearing them all the time as trainers, and just climb in my Guide Tennies.

There isn't an ideal approach shoe for all round use I don't think. People have managed okay without them, don't be sucked into buying something else.

Cheers
Tim

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...