UKC

Tour de France 2011

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Looking forward to the start of this year's Tour de France next Saturday.

Here is a preview of the course:
http://www.letour.fr/VIDEOS/TDF/2011/popup_video_parcours3d.html
 Theho 26 Jun 2011
yep, can't wait.

I'm planning to be in Paris for the last day. Has anyone done this, what are the chances of me getting space on the barriers of the final loop......or even the champs elise? (i'm not keen to get there 6 hours in advance to wait!)
 jethro kiernan 26 Jun 2011
In reply to Christheclimber: going to watch the tour on the Galibier, anyone know if you can take the car up in the morning or would we better camping the night before. whats the deal with cycling up how soon do they close the road?
In reply to jethro kiernan:

Better the night before
 Enty 26 Jun 2011

Get up there the day before Jethro. Last time we went up there they even closed the road to cyclists before about 11am on the day of the race. Cars - no chance.

E
 stewieatb 26 Jun 2011
In reply to Theho:
> yep, can't wait.
>
> I'm planning to be in Paris for the last day. Has anyone done this, what are the chances of me getting space on the barriers of the final loop......or even the champs elise? (i'm not keen to get there 6 hours in advance to wait!)

I was there in 2009, we were about 3 people from the front on the Champs-Elysee, didn't have to turn up very early. It's a great atmosphere I can't remember which Metro station we went to though.
 jethro kiernan 27 Jun 2011
In reply to Enty: @ Enty Cheers looks like we will be camping, might try and get an early run down and up the Galibier in the morning.
In reply to jethro kiernan: Last year i found a magazine with the predicted times that both the caravan and then race would pass through certain villages, cols etc.. It was very accurate on the day we went along. Can't seem to find it this year and can't find anything online either. We're going to see 2 of the Alpine stages this year. I'm not familiar with cycling magazines and the one i bought certainly is dedicated to the tour but no times included. Has anyone else come across this info?
Cheers
Graeme
> (In reply to Enty) @ Enty Cheers looks like we will be camping, might try and get an early run down and up the Galibier in the morning.

Take plenty of warm clothing. Last year we set off from the valley base in 35 degrees, it was 3 degrees on the Galibier! Bloomin' freezin' in cycling shorts.

Alan
 jamesg85 27 Jun 2011
In reply to jamesgreenfield: under time schedule
 yorkshireman 27 Jun 2011
In reply to graeme gatherer:
> (In reply to jethro kiernan) Last year i found a magazine with the predicted times that both the caravan and then race would pass through certain villages, cols etc.. It was very accurate on the day we went along.

http://www.letour.fr/2011/TDF/COURSE/fr/1900/etape_par_etape.html

Click on the 'time schedule' tab on the stage detail page.

We're planning to watch the Alpe d'Huez stage plus possible the TT on the last Saturday.

Liam M 27 Jun 2011
In reply to Christheclimber: A question. As they have different rules concerning crashes etc. for any hill top finishes, what constitutes such a finish - is it any stage with a climb that finishes on the line? For instance, does stage 4 which finishes on a cat 3 climb constitute such a stage?
In reply to jamesgreenfield: Perfect , thanks very much
In reply to yorkshireman: thanks very much
 jethro kiernan 27 Jun 2011
In reply to Christheclimber: cheers looks pretty good, think we might make it up in the morning but going to play it safe with a overnighter.
In reply to Christheclimber:

Can't wait for this year's Grand Boucle. Sadly I land at Toulouse airport about 15 mins after they finish on Plateau de Beille but hoping to catch them out on the road the next day as they head east.

La Sham
 john arran 27 Jun 2011
In reply to La Shamster:

I'm looking forward to being on the road up to Beille this year to see what all the fuss is about. Despite the Tour always passing very close to here I've been gutted at always having had to be elsewhere at the time.

John
http://www.chezArran.com
In reply to john arran:

Completely b&ll&xed my flight bookings.....jealous.

I stay with friends who live near L'Herm the other side of Foix but I think there is a plan to see the start in Limoux the next day.

Sam
 devon_roadie 27 Jun 2011
In reply to La Shamster:

I was planning on catching a few alpine stages from tuesday 19th onwards, but my friend has pulled out! Still considering flying to Geneva and finding my way about on my own but won't be easy
 Chris the Tall 27 Jun 2011
In reply to john arran:
Apparently Yorkshire is bidding for the grand depart in 2016. Race to start in Leeds, Sheffield to hold finish to one of the stages
 yorkshireman 28 Jun 2011
In reply to Chris the Tall:
> (In reply to john arran)
> Apparently Yorkshire is bidding for the grand depart in 2016. Race to start in Leeds, Sheffield to hold finish to one of the stages

That does sound like we're waiting for a following punchline, but is actually true.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-13584471
In reply to john arran:

Hi, Intersting place you have in France. What are the lnames of your local crags?
 Newbuild100 29 Jun 2011
In reply to Christheclimber: I will book an extra day off work this year for one of the stages. Dont know which one yet though . . . . .which one would you choose ?????????
In reply to Newbuild100:

Tough question not sure.
Wish I could get out there in time but my holidy in France starts on 23 July this year.
Removed User 30 Jun 2011
In reply to Newbuild100: There are a lot of good looking stages this year IMO. However, if it's climbs you are after then the deciders will probably be 18(21/7/11) Col Agnel/Izoard/Galibier, or 19(22/7/11) Galibier/Alpe d'Huez.
 jethro kiernan 30 Jun 2011
In reply to Removed User: cant wait to see those two
In reply to Removed User:

Should be excellent. Alberto Contador to win again?
 jethro kiernan 30 Jun 2011
In reply to Christheclimber: Mm

Not Christhesprinter!
 stouffer 30 Jun 2011
In reply to Christheclimber: Some oiks have spray painted their names across the road on a steep little hill on my ride to work. Going up it on my singlespeed this morning felt just a tiny bit like going up the Galibier!
 Mr Fuller 01 Jul 2011
In reply to stouffer: Excellent! You should add the names of all your work buddies who cycle in and get hordes of drunk loonies to cheer you on.

I got the Tour guide today and watched back the highlights of last year. I cannot wait for Saturday.

My money's on Frank Schleck for yellow, Cavendish for green. And I'm going to stick my neck out and say Thomas for white. That would be amazing. King of the Mountains... no idea.
 jethro kiernan 01 Jul 2011
In reply to Christheclimber: Think I might get the wife to Paint my name on the Alp d'huez for when I puff and pant my way up on the 28th
 Rubbishy 01 Jul 2011

If you see a fat lad in a UKC Velo top, give me a push - there's a chap.
In reply to John Rushby:

Lol - mines on the washing line as we speak getting ready for weekend on Dartmoorshire.
 Rubbishy 01 Jul 2011
In reply to La Shamster:

I am glad I bought a large in addition to my medium- been a meagre few weeks training wise thanks to my off 3 months ago.

Boot camp over the next 2 weeks to get fit for the Alps.

We need a UKC Velo meet sorting....
 jethro kiernan 01 Jul 2011
In reply to John Rushby: Where you guys going, I am doing the Alp d'huez tri on the 28th, still trying to get fit. Galibier and Izoard on the plan going for the what doesnt kill you makes you stronger aproach to last minute training for the Alpe.
In reply to John Rushby:

Your "off" - do tell??

I've got to say my medium is only just ok and I'm an average athletic build. Was it a ladies medium or a gents medium that I had?

I agree re: UKC Velo meet although I'm more MBKing than roading at the mo due to relocation to the middle of 365 sq miles of offroad play ground for my back garden..whoop whoop.
 Rubbishy 01 Jul 2011

THat is on impressive triathlon - chapeau

I will mainly be monging around the municipal baths, camping from the 19th. Did the Telegraph - Galibier - Alp last yuear and I was breathing out my arse by the end of it.

I like your training style - I think a good beasting on the cols will sort you out

La Sham - I piled in at 40 mph on my MTB up in Braemar 6 weeks ago. Heels, head arse ambulance. Mountain rescue then ambulance then Aberdeen Royal.

I now have a mostly titanium face, 50 stitches and some great scars- I was on the Old Bloke who Should Know Better in MBR last month and won the prize in the August issue of MBUK. I was lucky - could easily have been terminla.

THe new shiny bike is fine more importantly.
 Horse 01 Jul 2011
In reply to John Rushby:

I saw the evidence of your spill recently, quite shocking. Glad they managed to bolt you back together.

On looking at the photos my lad said "You know it's bad, none of his mates are pointing and laughing. Will he be selling the 5Spot?"
 AlisonSmiles 01 Jul 2011
In reply to John Rushby:

Ooooh. Will head off to the work kitchen to check out the back issues of MBR & MBUK ...
 Rubbishy 01 Jul 2011
In reply to Horse:

Don't worry - they were laughing - the little Geordie bastards.

Nope, the Turner is still here and I now have a full face helmet
 Rubbishy 01 Jul 2011
In reply to AlisonSmiles:

Page 71 MBR

MBUK is next month
 Mooncat 01 Jul 2011
In reply to John Rushby:

Didn't know about your nosedive, chicks dig scars though.
Removed User 01 Jul 2011
If anyone's interested, we've just had a cancellation for our top floor apartment. Ideally situated for the 20/21st July stages

https://www.alpineaccomodation.com
 Tiberius 01 Jul 2011

My wife bought me a weekend in Paris for my 50th, well, both of us, not just me. Apparently Paris is supposed to be a romantic destination?

Some sorta tdf special tour including entry to the Champs, not sure exactly what it entails, I guess I should read the details.
 Rubbishy 01 Jul 2011

Hi Andy

I could be interested but the link takes me to a web builder page.

In reply to John Rushby:

Blimey John - glad to know you are ok. I may of course have to visit the MBK mag section of WH Smiths tomorrow when they let me out of Princetown for good behaviour

Sam
Removed User 01 Jul 2011
In reply to John Rushby:

Mmmm..not sure what's happened there. Try this

http://www.alpineaccomodation.com/
In reply to John Rushby:

Ouch!
Removed User 02 Jul 2011

If you're interested, we're just about to do a last minute deal on the apartment. It'll be reduced to 400€

tim000 02 Jul 2011
In reply to Christheclimber: ok , first stage today. my moneys on Philippe Gilbert . whos your money on?
In reply to tim000:

For the tour it is Contador but the Schleck brothers are strong.

Just found the Tour live on ITV4+1
In reply to tim000:

For stagge one I would put my money on Gilbert as well.
Removed User 02 Jul 2011
> (In reply to tim000)
>
> For stagge one I would put my money on Gilbert as well.

Think you'll lose it, not hard enough for Gilbert most of the sprinters will be there.

Cav misses out on the 1st intermediate sprint to Farrar and Griepel

tim000 02 Jul 2011
In reply to Christheclimber: all together with 12k to go. sky grouping near the front. swifty? come on.
 tim000 02 Jul 2011
In reply to tim000: massive pile up with 10 k to go. contador caught behind. now 36 sec down.
 tim000 02 Jul 2011
In reply to Christheclimber: gilbert wins . contador,schlek,wiggins losses over a min on evans.
 andy 02 Jul 2011
In reply to tim000: I'm wondering if they might get lucky - wiggins and schleck were in the front group when the second crash happened and that was within the last 3k - they might get the same time.
 andy 02 Jul 2011
In reply to andy: Chris Boaedman has just tweeted that wiggins will get the same time as the lead group. Lucky lads.
 tim000 02 Jul 2011
In reply to andy: thats the rule isn`t it . crashes in the last 3k and you get the same time as the group you were in. just read on cycling news the second crash was right under the 2k to go banner. so yes , might be lucky.
 tim000 02 Jul 2011
In reply to tim000: good news , wiggins 6 sec down . 3k rule applies.

http://www.letour.fr/2011/TDF/LIVE/us/100/classement/index.html
 tim000 02 Jul 2011
In reply to andy:
> (In reply to andy) Chris Boaedman has just tweeted that wiggins will get the same time as the lead group. Lucky lads.

sorry andy, must have been checking up as you were posting the good news.
 lost1977 02 Jul 2011
> (In reply to Christheclimber)
>
> Just found the Tour live on ITV4+1

surely that must be live +1
Removed User 02 Jul 2011
> (In reply to tim000)
>
> For stagge one I would put my money on Gilbert as well.

Your right I'm wrong! Serves me right for listening to Cav!

tim000 02 Jul 2011
In reply to Christheclimber: so , will thomas be in yellow this time tomorrow? got to be a good bet. tony martins got a good shout to.
 Swirly 02 Jul 2011
In reply to tim000: anyone from Thomas, Martin or Hushovd IMO.
> (In reply to Removed UserChristheclimber)
> [...]
>
> Your right I'm wrong! Serves me right for listening to Cav!

I should have put my money where my mouth is!

I had to go out and missed the end of the race. What happened to Cav 69th?
 JLS 02 Jul 2011

A couple of crashes created a bit GC chaos. My heart sank when I saw Brad in the Contidor group but luckly the judges made the right call.
 Chris the Tall 02 Jul 2011
In reply to tim000:
> (In reply to Christheclimber) ok , first stage today. my moneys on Philippe Gilbert . whos your money on?

Good call, who are you backing tomorrow ?
 abr1966 02 Jul 2011
In reply to Christheclimber: Just watched the highlights on eurosport. Gilbert looked very strong and rode a great race especially in the last 5k, he tracked everything and looked so comfortable at a good pace. Cadel in 2nd place....he looked good at the opening event yesterday and very lean. Probably his last chance this year...
 andy 02 Jul 2011
> (In reply to IainFP)
>
> I had to go out and missed the end of the race. What happened to Cav 69th?

Puncture in the first crash.
 tim000 03 Jul 2011
In reply to Chris the Tall: sky , thomas in yellow . but i have been drinking. :-0 hopfully it`s not just beer talk.
In reply to tim000:

I hope it isn't the beer talking as I reckon the odds on have go to be pretty good for that.

Gilbert was brilliant and Cadel looked pretty sharp too. Loved it as a first stage. Found the new Green jersey intermediate sprint interesting too.

So Gilbert starts today in Yellow I guess Cadel will wear the KOM.
In reply to La Shamster:

Just checked and Cadel is in Green, Hushovd in KOM and Geraint in White.
 tim000 03 Jul 2011
In reply to La Shamster: second place gets green, third gets KOM jersey.thomas already in the white jersey, hopfully in yellow tomorrow.
now the beers out of the system i will stick with sky to win , but garmin and htc will be i with a shout.
In reply to tim000:

Just done a 7 mile xc run in my local back garden so now thinking about getting the beers into my system and sitting back to watch the TTT.

Got to agree with your 3 shouts for the quickest teams.
 Morgan Woods 03 Jul 2011
In reply to tim000:
> (In reply to tim000) massive pile up with 10 k to go. contador caught behind. now 36 sec down.

quite unbelievable....but good for the aussie....here's a vid:

youtube.com/watch?v=CWgrQCPxDKU&
 footwork 03 Jul 2011

It's great that the Tour is back on. Just did 60km around Regents park this morning and loads of other cyclists are out in colours. Plenty of wheels to suck so i can go faster Now to enjoy the TT. Go team Sky!
Removed User 03 Jul 2011
In reply to La Shamster:
> (In reply to tim000)
>
> Just done a 7 mile xc run in my local back garden so now thinking about getting the beers into my system and sitting back to watch the TTT.
>
> Got to agree with your 3 shouts for the quickest teams.

Poss add Rabobank, would like to see Gesink in contention for GC.

DaveHK 03 Jul 2011

SPOILERS BELOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is already shaping up to be an interesting tour. Contador has got a battle royale on his hands after yesterday and todays TTT. Bring it on!
In reply to DaveHK:

It's looking very interseting and it's only day two and Contador looks up against it.
 Sayon 03 Jul 2011
In reply to Christheclimber: Just checked on Tour de France official website and on BBC to find Bradley Wiggins standing, but can only find top ten yellow jersey standings. Anyone out there who can tell me how to access the full results?
 L Taylor 03 Jul 2011
In reply to John Rushby:
Hi John
Any ladies tops left

Lillian
 DaveHK 03 Jul 2011
In reply to Shropshire Climbing Centre:

Full results here: http://www.cyclingnews.com/tour-de-france/stage-2/results

It usually takes a while to sort them out.
 Sayon 03 Jul 2011
In reply to DaveHK: Thanks Dave- will check it out
In reply to Shropshire Climbing Centre:

Hushovd takes over yellow jersey

Dominion 03 Jul 2011

> Hushovd takes over yellow jersey

And David Millar second overall, Geraint Thomas 4th, Bradley Wiggins 12th, Mark Cavendish 18th.

Contador 75th
In reply to Dominion:

I don't think Contador will do it! And if the booing goes on I wonder whether he'll tactfully pull out. I know they've said he considered it pre-start but couldn't because of the sponsorship deals.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say Evans could be in with a shout. no doubt I'll be completely wrong.

Loving it already.
 Dominion 03 Jul 2011
In reply to La Shamster:

> I don't think Contador will do it! And if the booing goes on I wonder whether he'll tactfully pull out. I know they've said he considered it pre-start but couldn't because of the sponsorship deals.

If Contador does badly, are they are going to say it's because he dared not dope, because he knew he was going to be watched and tested more than anyone else?
 Swirly 03 Jul 2011
In reply to La Shamster: If Bertie shows half the form he did in the Giro he'll have it won by the time they're out the Pyrenees. I think the rider who will benefit most from him attacking to get the time back is Wiggo; providing he keeps climbing at his one-pace he showed in the Dauphiné it will be very similar to the way Scarponi rode to 2nd in the Giro. No one in the GC has shown any signs of form in the warm up races so, IMO, all the 1'47" will do is make Contador attack and show just how far behind the rest are.

Shame they don't give out a prix combativé for the TTT, Spartacus almost won it singlehandly dragging a team in his wake.

Grand day -- 90 miles at 18mph with the club today (UKC Velo top in clear view across the Fylde) and didn't get dropped for a change as there were no hills to speak of. Made it back in time to see most of the TTT.

It'a actually good for Sky and Wiggo that GT did not end up with yellow today, as they wont feel obliged to defend it. Garmin will be expected to set tempo tomorrow, with the help of the sprinters teams. Cav has got to be a good bet for stage 3.
 Nigel Modern 04 Jul 2011
In reply to Christheclimber: To OP

The ITV4 live coverage is great..is this the first year or was I just too busy previously!

I cycled London to Paris in 1984(?)...one of the years Fignon won it...and watched them on the Champs Elysee. Awesome!

A can of Coke was 16 Francs ie about £1.60

I have Sean Kelly's water bottle...somewhere. Well I think it was his...it came out of the lead group and I think it was his hand that reached down...
 stevev 04 Jul 2011
Is there an audio only feed anywhere on the net. It would be good to listen to it on the smartphones
 Chris the Tall 04 Jul 2011
In reply to stevev:
BBC 5 live extra
In reply to Lord of Starkness:

I have just got back from work, I believe Cav came 5th today. Need tom watch the highlights on ITV4 at 7 this evening I think.

Right I've just made a complete boo boo and clicked on this post and seen todays results by mistake whilst watching the stage that I recorded - doh!

Can we maybe do a new post per stage?
 Fredt 04 Jul 2011

Cav AND hushovd both disqualified from the intermediate sprint.
 Yanis Nayu 04 Jul 2011
In reply to Fredt:
>
> Cav AND hushovd both disqualified from the intermediate sprint.

Amazing decision.
In reply to Fredt:
>
> Cav AND hushovd both disqualified from the intermediate sprint.

Did not get to see the highlights. Was it justified?

In reply to wayno265:

Just looked at the stage summary video on
http://www.letour.fr/us/homepage_courseTDF.html

No mention of Hushovd and Cav being disqualified?????
 tim000 04 Jul 2011
> (In reply to Fredt)
> [...]
>
> Did not get to see the highlights. Was it justified?

no
 stevev 04 Jul 2011

> No mention of Hushovd and Cav being disqualified?????
it's all over the net
http://www.cyclingfan.net/news/hushovd-cavendish-disqualified-from-intermed...

In reply to stevev:

Thanks for that seems very odd as it says:
"Thor Hushovd went to the race jury and told them it was his fault and that they should let Cavendish go free. The race jury did not buy it"

tim000 04 Jul 2011
In reply to Christheclimber: if cav got disqualified in the int sprint romain Feillu should be kicked off the tour for the way he rode at the finish.twice as dangerous as cav and Hushovd.
In reply to tim000:

Any idea of where I can see incedent. Maybe it will be on the news??
 tim000 04 Jul 2011
> (In reply to tim000)
>
> Any idea of where I can see incedent. Maybe it will be on the news??

http://www.itv.com/itvplayer/video/?Filter=252949&module=carousel&t...
In reply to tim000:

Thanks for posting this I missed it earlier
In reply to tim000:

Just watched the highlights, thanks.

Crazy decision nothing in this, it is an over zealous judgement by the officils.

Gilbert to win tomorrow?

Mr Fuller 05 Jul 2011
In reply to Christheclimber: Yeah, Phillipe "13 incher" Gilbert's my bet too (they're Cav's words, not mine...), though I reckon that last hill will cause some serious chaos. Contador might try to get some time back, and I wouldn't be surprised if Geraint Thomas doesn't gun it as well.
In reply to Mr Fuller:

Both wrong- Evans first, you were right about Contador who was second, Gilbert fifth. Need to watch highlights later this eve (just in from work)
 DaveHK 05 Jul 2011

Cav already has a herculean task if he wants that green jersey.
 abr1966 05 Jul 2011
In reply to Christheclimber: Just in from work and haven't seen anything yet about today...Cadel though? This could well be his year, he looks good and has the tactical know how...
In reply to abr1966:

It was a great finish Evans did really well he battled it out with Contador
 abr1966 05 Jul 2011
> (In reply to abr1966)
>
> It was a great finish Evans did really well he battled it out with Contador

Id really like Evans to win but I just don't think BMC will be strong enough over the 3 weeks. Good ride from Wiggins too in loosing just 5 seconds...warming up nicely!
In reply to abr1966:

I think it is going to be an epic
 Mr Fuller 06 Jul 2011
In reply to Christheclimber: 3 British riders in the top 7. Surely that has to be some sort of record. 3 Sky riders in the top 10 too. Come stage 8 that might all change though...
In reply to Nigel Modern:

ITV4 coverage is spoiled by the length of the commercial breaks -- roughly twice as long as Eurosports -- however it's less hassle to get ITV coverage on my 'puter, and the picture quality is better than via some of the 'live streaming' sites.
In reply to Mr Fuller:

4 Sky riders in the top 11 of the young rider GC gives even more hope for the future.

Great win for Cav
 nniff 06 Jul 2011
>
>
> Great win for Cav

Could we not save these spoilers until after 8pm and the end of the ITV highlights - for those of us who don't have the chance to watch during the day?

Pretty please
In reply to nniff:

oops sorry I have not seen it either but heard a report on the radio
 DaveHK 06 Jul 2011
In reply to nniff:
> [...]
>
> Could we not save these spoilers until after 8pm and the end of the ITV highlights - for those of us who don't have the chance to watch during the day?
>
> Pretty please

Don't look at the thread then you muppet!

The New NickB 06 Jul 2011
In reply to DaveHK:
> (In reply to nniff)
> [...]
>
> Don't look at the thread then you muppet!

To be fair it is a fairly well established protocol on this threads.

Very hard and intresting stage today with plenty of falls and bad luck for many, Cav did really well to win this one he now has 16 stage wins.
Where are you?
 tim000 06 Jul 2011
In reply to Christheclimber: for those not quite in the tour mood yet .

youtube.com/watch?v=Jn0FF1KwL4I&
In reply to tim000:

That has link has just knacked up my laptop after about 1 min 40 secs. Just froze up so had to switch off.
 sutty 06 Jul 2011
In reply to La Shamster:

Try this link, it gave live updates and has vids as well;
http://www.letour.fr/us/index.html
In reply to tim000:
> (In reply to Christheclimber) for those not quite in the tour mood yet .
>
>
> http://www.youtube.com/...

Brilliant
 Graham T 06 Jul 2011
Thats funny.

This one is better
youtube.com/watch?v=cbv3N-qt2EI&
 abr1966 06 Jul 2011
In reply to Christheclimber: Just seen the highlights on eurosport, that was a great finish by Cavendish....he looked well out of it but came fron nowhere and did it on his own. It reminded me of one of his finishes last year, the one after Renshaw had been disqualified....I think after that stage where Cav won he reminded everyone that he had been a 'jumpy sprinter' long before he had the HTC train leading him out...
In reply to abr1966:

Any thoughts on tomorrow?
Dinan to Lisieux which is the longest stage 226.5km. It has a steep climb before the finish so the sprinters will really have to work to win.
Are they deliberately making it harder for the sprinters this year?
Cav to win???
 Escher 06 Jul 2011
>
> Are they deliberately making it harder for the sprinters this year?
>

Cav thinks so. French bias again?

Ady Short 07 Jul 2011
> (In reply to Nigel Modern)
>
> ITV4 coverage is spoiled by the length of the commercial breaks -- roughly twice as long as Eurosports -- however it's less hassle to get ITV coverage on my 'puter, and the picture quality is better than via some of the 'live streaming' sites.

And those Boardman Halfords voice overs "When my team had to lift me off my bike I knew I had given it everything" WTF!!
 Mr Fuller 07 Jul 2011
In reply to Ady Short: I wonder why Vegas keeps pedalling oversized clothes at cycling fans. It's not like the average cyclist is 5XL.
 highcamp 07 Jul 2011
In reply to Escher:

They've definitely reduced the number of flat and straight run-ins for bunch sprints. And I do think they've done it as a reaction to HTC crushing the sprints. But, I don't think it's necessarily a French bias that's motivating it, I think it's purely for making the race more interesting. You have to admit that in the flat stages with straight run-ins that it is quite formulaic and rather boring when the HTC train just absolutely crushes the final 10km (same with when it was Fassa Bortolo, Acqua & Sapone, etc). Yesterday's win for Cav was far more interesting to watch.

Remember, they did the same thing during the Armstrong years with respect to knocking down the length and number of time trials. The race organizers need to keep viewership as high as possible, and if a certain someone or some team make certain stages too predictable, it's time to shake it up a bit.
 MikeTS 07 Jul 2011
In reply to highcamp:

Should it be renamed the English Tour? 7 of top 10 are native English speakers. The other 3 are Nor and Den, which is pretty close.
 tim000 07 Jul 2011
In reply to MikeTS: nearly the end of the first week and 3 brits in the top 10. didn`t see that coming. theres a couple of mid mountain stages this weekend which should mix things up a bit . but the proper climbs dont start til next thursday.
 highcamp 07 Jul 2011
In reply to MikeTS:

1. Thor Hushovd, Team Garmin – Cervelo, in 22h 50′ 34″
2. Cadel Evans, BMC Racing Team, at 00:01
3. Frank Schleck, Team Leopard-Trek, at 00:04
4. David Millar, Team Garmin – Cervelo, at 00:08
5. Andréas KlÖden, Team RadioShack, at 00:10
6. Bradley Wiggins, Sky Procycling, at 00:10
7. Geraint Thomas, Sky Procycling, at 00:12
8. Boasson Hagen Edvald, Sky Procycling, at 00:12
9. Jakob Fuglsang, Team Leopard-Trek, at 00:12
10. Andy Schleck, Team Leopard-Trek, at 00:12

I count 4, but I get what you mean.... definitely a great year for GB at the Tour so far. Great showing for Sky today. Cadel is doing phenomenal as well... just hope he doesn't have one of his Cadel Days where things implode. Still, this time next week, I reckon people will start calling it the ContaTour.

Sí.
In reply to highcamp:

Cav will stand more chance tomorrow
In reply to highcamp:

Great effort from the British guys som far
 Escher 07 Jul 2011
In reply to highcamp: be interesting to know what they'd do if there was a dominant French sprinter, but yes it is making for an interesting tour so far and Cav's win was epic. Can't wait for the mountains.
 Billy the fish 07 Jul 2011
I thought it was an outstanding ride today by Malori. Breakaway groups inevitably get caught but after a long ride alone, he looked like he may manage to keep the lead. Holding the main field off for so long, doing in effect a time trial was fantastic to see, the lad has promise.
 Chris the Tall 07 Jul 2011
In reply to highcamp:

> Great showing for Sky today.

First stage win in tdf, so a big day for sky. No doubt it will be the lead item on sky news, but then it is a bit of a slow news day....

highcamp 08 Jul 2011
In reply to Escher:

Ha! If France had a sprinter with a viable shot at a stage victory, you better believe every stage of that Tour would consist of laps up and down the Champs Elysees.... one day clockwise, the next day counter-clockwise.... repeat for 3 weeks.
 Dave C 08 Jul 2011
> (In reply to highcamp)
>
... but then it is a bit of a slow news day....

Well it is for the Murdoch press....
 MikeTS 08 Jul 2011
Schlecks are English speaking aren't they?
 jfw 08 Jul 2011
Does anyone else think Cadel Evans looks like a bewitched ventriloquists dummy/ Mr Punch doll - or is it just me?
 Monk 08 Jul 2011
In reply to MikeTS:
> Schlecks are English speaking aren't they?

They're from Luxembourg, so no.
 Chris the Tall 08 Jul 2011
In reply to jfw:
Definately has a "Punch me face"

Looks like HTC are going to have top do all the work. Oops (Bump) big crash. Wiggins is down.
gritstoneclimber 08 Jul 2011
>
> Looks like HTC are going to have top do all the work. Oops (Bump) big crash. Wiggins is down.

Wiggins is down and out!!!
In reply to gritstoneclimber:

Buger just realised I am watching on 4+1 not live!!!

Buger? Bugger me I am also watching on 4+1 my excuse is I fell asleep when I got home after work. What's yours
 Flatlander 08 Jul 2011
In reply to all:

NO Brad's out damm now I have to change my GC rider
I was really hoping he was going to do something this year
 Yanis Nayu 08 Jul 2011
In reply to Christheclimber: Gutted for Wiggins.
In reply to wayno265:

Real shame for Brad and the Sky team............. still watching on catch up!
 Mr Fuller 08 Jul 2011
In reply to wayno265: Yeah, I'm absolutely gutted for him. Everything was going his way but the moment I saw him with one arm supporting the other I knew he had a bust collarbone.

I'm picking Cadel now for the GC, and for Geraint to win a stage at some point.

Cavendish was quality again. How he copes with the pressure of everyone saying 'he'll win' I'm not really sure.
In reply to Mr Fuller:

What a great finish for a moment I thought Cav was not going to do it.

Still can't believe Brad is out he was in such great form and was in with a real chance.
Well done to Cav and his excellent HTC team, he looked really surprised when he was told about Brad."Gutted"

Hushovd is going well all top 10 finishes I think.
 highcamp 08 Jul 2011

Definitely feel for Wiggins, but I feel worse for Horner.... 39 and in the best shape of his life, pretty much the last chance at a podium. Word is he hit his head hard and is at the hospital getting checked for concussion. Chances are if he really rung his bell, he won't be starting tomorrow.

So who's realisitally left for the podium? AC, Cadel, A.Schleck, F.Schleck... "maybe" Kloden or Gesink as longshots. Losing Wiggins, Leipheimer, and Horner from the GC all plays better for AC, that's for sure.

[EDIT TO ADD: just read on German Radsport that after the initial crash Horner didn't know where he was or what happened... didn't believe JB telling him that he crashed.... Tour doctor was waiting for Horner at the finish line. If true, JB needs a punch in the mouth for not putting Horner in an ambulance immediately after the wreck.]
In reply to highcamp:
>
> [EDIT TO ADD: just read on German Radsport that after the initial crash Horner didn't know where he was or what happened... didn't believe JB telling him that he crashed.... Tour doctor was waiting for Horner at the finish line. If true, JB needs a punch in the mouth for not putting Horner in an ambulance immediately after the wreck.]

Amazing anecdote is it true?
almost sane 08 Jul 2011

Did you see that after Bradley Wiggins crashed, he tried to get back on his bike. He was resting his left wrist on the handlebars and was trying to get on, when some very wise people gently moved him away.
What a race focus.

But he and his team will be gutted.

I liked Mark Cavendish's reaction to the news on his post-victory interview. He does wear his heart on his sleeve, and sometimes his heart is definitely in the right place (sorry for the mixed metaphors).
 highcamp 08 Jul 2011

Wow!!! Cannot believe they let Horner back on the bike. Really irresponsible. Check this video (watch it to the end)....

http://video.bicycling.com/video/Chris-Horner-Post-Stage-7-Crash
 Toby S 08 Jul 2011
In reply to highcamp:

Bloody hell. Did I hear that right, they let him ride on even though he was asking where he was and what happened?
 highcamp 08 Jul 2011
In reply to Toby S:

Reading reports that he was actually momentarily unconscious while in the ditch. But they still let him ride because 'he wanted to get back on the bike.'

It's crazy in that vid how while getting loaded in the ambulance at the finish that he'd already forgotten that he indeed just finished the stage. Not good. Really disgusted by JB not looking out for his rider, same with the team doctor.
 footwork 08 Jul 2011
In reply to Christheclimber: wow.. thats pretty fecking irresponsible
 jamesg85 08 Jul 2011
In reply to highcamp: The same bruyneel who has encouraged riders to dope. The guy has a very dodgy record. Not the only team director either.
In reply to highcamp:

Thamks for posting this. Hard to believe

So who do you think is going to win todays stage?
gritstoneclimber 09 Jul 2011

Schleck ???
 Swirly 09 Jul 2011
In reply to Christheclimber: To late to say Tejay?
>
> Schleck ???

Which one?

Toby S 09 Jul 2011
In reply to Swirly:

BMC seem keen to lead out Cadel Evans and get him in the yellow jersey. I'll say Evans for the win.
In reply to Swirly:
> (In reply to Christheclimber) To late to say Tejay?

He is still up there! Vinoukorov (sp) going strong
 Chris the Tall 09 Jul 2011
In reply to Christheclimber: Very pleased that vino didn't win or take yellow

Excellent effort by Gilbert to take green and hushovd to stay in yellow. Wonder if Cav will give up on green and just concentrate on stage wins, Gilbert will pick up far more points on the hilly stages
 jamesg85 09 Jul 2011
In reply to Chris the Tall: cav definitely won't give up on yellow jersey, plenty of opportunities for him to win stages. I'd say he has an excellent chance this year of pulling on the green jersey, and even if he declares stage wins to be his priority I'd say that jersey is very important for him. He has a chance on tuesday and wednesay before the high mountains. Go Cav!
 jamesg85 09 Jul 2011
In reply to jamesgreenfield: ha ha, that should have read won't give up on green jersey, no pretensions for GC

I don't think Cav will get the green, he should just go all out for satge wins this is what he is best at (sprints not climbs).
Gilbert will take the green he was really strong today.
gritstoneclimber 09 Jul 2011
In reply to jamesgreenfield:

I'd like to see Cav go for green but not sure he will do it with Gilbert being a stronger overall rider but lets hope. As you say come on Cav.
tri 09 Jul 2011
In reply to Theho: have been out there in preivous years get there very early to grab the best spot where ever you go it is an amazeing day out enjoy
 Flatlander 10 Jul 2011
In reply to tri:

Vino and Van der Brook out now!
 Ramblin dave 10 Jul 2011
Spoilers, people! This is meant to be the safe thread for people who are planning to watch the highlights later...
In reply to Ramblin dave:

You don't have to read the thread it clearly is about the Tour de France which is live on TV
gritstoneclimber 10 Jul 2011

Why are you reading the thread if you do not want to know what is happening? As the tour is live it will bve commented on "live"
 Alan Taylor 10 Jul 2011
In reply to gritstoneclimber: Because in threads that comment on live events usually have the word spoiler attached.

Plenty of action today with crashes etc. Vino? has broken elbow and a guy has just been taken out by a car, missed the name, Voeckler going well looking to get the lead yellow?
 Yanis Nayu 10 Jul 2011
In reply to Christheclimber: Vino's bust his leg according to 5 live.
In reply to wayno265:

Lots of action. How many have had to drop out today? Gilbert looking good for green.

He is clearly wanting the green has been riding really well. Cav may just have to go for stage wins.

It was Juan Fletcha from Sky who are not having the best of luck perhaps its the Murdoch influence!
 Yanis Nayu 10 Jul 2011
> (In reply to gritstoneclimber)
>
> He is clearly wanting the green has been riding really well. Cav may just have to go for stage wins.

It's a joke that the best sprinter in the world by a country mile can't seriously contest the green jersey. It devalues the competition IMO.

Strange move from Gilbert the way he changed his bike

You were right about Voeckler he will be in yellow

Is the Tour getting more dangerous? So many crashes so far and some really bad injuries again today. Is it because the cyclists are a lot fitter and has become more cut throat? There seems to be less comeraderie (sp)
 lost1977 10 Jul 2011

not so sure i'm enjoying the TdF this year, it maybe exciting but for all the wrong reasons. i have a bad feeling we haven't seen the worst crashes yet
 highcamp 10 Jul 2011

I was wondering that too, but then remembered back on the years when there were routine bunch sprint crashes in the final 500m of flat stages.... top speed close-quarter wrecks that went from barrier to barrier, with bodies and bikes stacked 3-4 high. Those were insanely dangerous and usually resulted in multiple people crossing the finish line in the back of an ambulance.

What's unique about this year is how many GC contenders are getting picked off in the wrecks.
 Tiberius 10 Jul 2011
In reply to wayno265:
> It's a joke that the best sprinter in the world by a country mile can't seriously contest the green jersey. It devalues the competition IMO.

The best sprinter in the country is doing ok in the contest for most consistent rider. Seems reasonable to me. how does it devalue the competition?
 Enty 10 Jul 2011
In reply to Alan Taylor:

With or without the word spoiler you'd have to be a bit of a numpty to click on a thread titled "TDF 2011" when you want to watch the highlights later.

Anyway - have you all seen this:
http://www.nieuwsblad.be/article/detail.aspx?articleid=DMF20110710_089

E
 Alan Taylor 10 Jul 2011
In reply to Enty: I should not have clicked on that. Ouch
 abr1966 10 Jul 2011
In reply to Enty: Watched it on channel 4 highlights just now....shocking and seeing him somersaulting turned my stomach over. Tough guy to get back on to finish the stage but he looked well shook up by it.
 balmybaldwin 10 Jul 2011
In reply to Enty:
> (In reply to Alan Taylor)
>
> With or without the word spoiler you'd have to be a bit of a numpty to click on a thread titled "TDF 2011" when you want to watch the highlights later.
>
> Anyway - have you all seen this:
> http://www.nieuwsblad.be/article/detail.aspx?articleid=DMF20110710_089
>
> E

Bloody hell, that's got to smart a bit very lucky.

That car driver wasn't paying attention, do'nt think he saw the tree until he was in a position where he couldn't stop (and maybe swerved with instinct)

Don't understand why the 2 riders involved can't be awarded the same time as the group they were with it seems awfully unfair that they are now that far back through no fault of their own.
 jethro kiernan 10 Jul 2011
In reply to Enty: dont think he is going to last the tour with his Arse in tatters, Chapeau for getting back on the bike and finishing for the spots
 highcamp 10 Jul 2011

The cuts on his arse are cosmetic compared to the gash on his knee; there's white visible!!, and that is most definitely not good. Hopefully the barb just exposed it and didn't knick it. He'll most definitely have to violate the "No needle" policy today as he'll need at minimum a tetanus booster. Don't think he'll be coming back. Even if he didn't knick the tendon/bone, that gash is at a flex point, which means stitches there won't hold up to a 90 cadence for 5hrs. There's no benefit at this point for him to keep going. Better to heal up and compete at full strength later in the season. Chapeau for being tough as nails to claim his well deserved KOM jersey.
 Toby S 10 Jul 2011
In reply to Enty:

What a star for finishing though, if that was me I'd be lying on the ground squealing for an ambulance. These guys are incredible athletes and make those pampered primadonnas in the Premiership look like a right bunch of fairies.

Velo news published the list of todays injuries earlier...

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/07/news/andrew-hoods-2011-tour-de-franc...

Medical report

Crash at 40km: Amets Txurruka (Euskaltel-Euskadi), fractured collarbone, transported to hospital; Lars Bak (HTC-Highroad), cuts, scrapes to right elbow; David Millar (Garmin-Cervélo), trauma to right elbow; Jean-Christophe Perraud (Omega Pharma-Lotto), cuts to right elbow, knee; Marcus Burghardt (BMC), scrapes to left knee, elbow.

Crash at 100km: Alexander Vinokourov (Astana), fractured right femur, evacuated by ambulance; Jurgen Van den Broeck (Omega Pharma-Lotto), fractured shoulder blade, evacuated by ambulance; Frederik Willems (Omega Pharma-Lotto), fractured clavicle; David Zabriskie (Garmin-Cervelo), probable fractured wrist; Brent Bookwalter (BMC), cuts to left shoulder, knee, light head trauma.

Crash at 130km: Yaroslav Popovych (RadioShack), cuts to left elbow.

Crash at 170km: Johnny Hoogerland (Vacansoleil), multiple cuts and scrapes, transported to local hospital; Juan Antonio Flecha (Sky), multiple cuts and scrapes.

Marco Marcato (Vacansoleil), Arnaud Coyot (Saur-Sojasun), digestive problems.

Grega Bole (Lampre), pain in left knee
 DanH9883 10 Jul 2011
In reply to Toby S:

Typical cheating french really. Just run over the other guys so the frenchman can win the stage!
In reply to highcamp:

Cav reckons that a lot of the riders are not good enough hence the crashes in the peleton!!?? Re interview last week?
In reply to Enty:
> (In reply to Alan Taylor)
>
> Anyway - have you all seen this:
> http://www.nieuwsblad.be/article/detail.aspx?articleid=DMF20110710_089

Bl**dy hell ouch
> (In reply to Enty)
> [...]
>
>
> Bl**dy hell ouch

What a guy to have the courage to finish
 Yanis Nayu 10 Jul 2011
In reply to Christheclimber: Impressive tan lines!
 Chris the Tall 10 Jul 2011
That was a pity awful crash to witness. Amazed that Hoogerland finished the stage after that, let's hope he can continue. Well done to voekler for taking yellow, but wish casar had got the stage win, he always seems to be trying something. Wonder if flecha would have taken it, but for the crash. More bad luck for sky
In reply to DanH9883:
> (In reply to Toby S)
>
> Typical cheating french really. Just run over the other guys so the frenchman can win the stage!

Only a Frenchman didn't win the stage...
 Mac0 11 Jul 2011
In reply to Byronius Maximus:
Bump...
 MikeTS 11 Jul 2011
> (In reply to DanH9883)
> [...]
>
> Only a Frenchman didn't win the stage...

Thus proving how devious they can be
 Tiberius 11 Jul 2011
In reply to balmybaldwin:
> That car driver wasn't paying attention, do'nt think he saw the tree until he was in a position where he couldn't stop

Actually, my wife said it was a woman driving, not a he
 Enty 11 Jul 2011
In reply to Tiberius:

The TV car has been thrown out and in other news:

Jurgen Van Den Broeck will stay in intensive care for two or three days as he recovers from his injuries after crashing out on a descent during Sunday’s ninth stage to Saint Flour.
The Omega Pharma-Lotto team leader fractured three ribs, his shoulder blade and also suffered from a collapsed lung. He initially tried to continue in the race but the pain was too great and doctors feared he had suffered a ruptured spleen or liver damage.

Tried to carry on with a collapsed lung - nice one!!

E
 tim000 11 Jul 2011
In reply to Christheclimber: first positive test of the tour. let hope it`s the last.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/kolobnev-tour-de-frances-first-doping-case
In reply to Enty:
> (In reply to Tiberius)
>
> Tried to carry on with a collapsed lung - nice one!!
>
> E

Yeah, incredible effort. These guys really are unbelievable athletes. You could tell how much pain Hoogerland was in when he started to break down in the interview at the end but he still managed to finish the stage. Truly inspirational!
 Enty 11 Jul 2011

I thought he was crying because he's Wouter Weylandt's mate and he was lucky to be alive.
You're right though - tough nuts the lot of em.

E

JuneBob 11 Jul 2011
In reply to Enty:
He's going to give it a go tomorrow, see how he gets on. Gutted for him as he really wanted to give the mountains jersey a good shot and thought he had a chance.
As a dutchie it's great to have riders leading the standings in 2 competitions (Gesink as well), but sadly they're both cycling wounded so may not hold on to their leads for long.
In reply to Enty:
> (In reply to Byronius Maximus)
>
> I thought he was crying because he's Wouter Weylandt's mate and he was lucky to be alive.

Ah yes, hadn't looked at it that way, maybe you're right.
 cavegirl99 12 Jul 2011
Very excited to find out that the TdF is going right through the area where I'll be on holiday next week. Any tips for choosing where to go to watch them? I'll be staying in Ailfroide, so nearest place would be to watch them come through Argentiere La Bessee (stage 17, wed), but wondering if it would be better to try and watch one of the hill climbs, Col d'Izoard is probably the closest.
I saw at the top of this post advice to get there the night before and camp - is this generally the best way, or are there ways of just getting close on the day? How long are the roads likely to be closed each side of the estimated times they will come through?
Final question, on the time schedules what do the 38.0, 36.0 and 34.0 times refer to?

thanks
 Chris the Tall 12 Jul 2011
In reply to cavegirl99:
> Final question, on the time schedules what do the 38.0, 36.0 and 34.0 times refer to?
>
Average speeds - for that stage they will be expected to average 36kmph, but they aslo estimate times should they be a couple of ks quicker or slower than that.

Monk 12 Jul 2011
In reply to cavegirl99:

Definitely try to get to a hill. On the flat they will pass you in a few seconds (still good to see) but on a big hill it will be much longer and you will actually be able to identify individual riders (although they still go past impressively quickly even on the steepest climbs). If you do go for a hill, it will be busy, and you will have to walk/cycle there and be there quite early. I suppose that camping is a good way of getting the best spot (and people in campervans start arriving a couple of days before the tour goes through), but there's always a way to get a good spot if you are happy to walk or cycle.

There's a real festival spirit around the tour though, so waiting is actually quite fun even before the calvacade of promotional vehicles comes through ahead of the tour giving out free tat.
 Rubbishy 12 Jul 2011
In reply to cavegirl99:

Yes - always best to get there the night before - the mountains will be rammed with fat sunburned Dutchies in campervans.

I would have a look at the Galibier (Thursday) - if you head up the night (better the afternoon) prior and try get parked on the turn up from the Lauteret.

If you do want to see the 17th stage try somewhere like Montgenevre - it is a Cat 2 climb so they will be hurting by then. Either way, try to be on a mountain so that they don't just come hurtling past and it is all done in 30 seconds.

I don't think they do the D'Izoard this year. Could be wrong.

Well Cav beaten on the line!
 Enty 12 Jul 2011
In reply to John Rushby:
> (In reply to cavegirl99)
>
>
>
> I don't think they do the D'Izoard this year. Could be wrong.

They do, after the Agnel then a finish on the Galibier - It's a monster.

E

Rubbishy 13 Jul 2011
In reply to Enty:

Ah, so it is on the Galiber day. I did the Telegraph, Galibier and Alp D'Huez in one day.

I died on my arse.

JamButty 13 Jul 2011
In reply to Christheclimber: Having never watched it before I'm rapidly getting quite hooked on this, I was bored on one of the flat races last week, but since then its been addictive!
 cavegirl99 13 Jul 2011
Thanks for all the replies, I thought about the Col d'Izoard as it might be a bit quieter than the Galibier.
 Tobias at Home 13 Jul 2011
In reply to cavegirl99: how is there not going to be a crash at the finish?...conditions look evil...
In reply to La Shamster:

....and now Cav is in Green whoop whoop!
 Toby_W 13 Jul 2011
In reply to La Shamster:

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssss.

Cheers

Toby
 Ramblin dave 13 Jul 2011
Looks like he's going for it properly as well - he's been chasing intermediate sprint points for the last couple of days...
 Enty 13 Jul 2011
In reply to cavegirl99:
> Thanks for all the replies, I thought about the Col d'Izoard as it might be a bit quieter than the Galibier.

I've done quite a few of the Alpine Cols and the Izoard is my fave and it's one of the prettiest. Try to get down to the Casse Deserte about 2km down from the summit on the south side.

E

balmybaldwin 13 Jul 2011
In reply to La Shamster:

If you want to post spoilers please do it in another thread with spoilers inthe title....

At least it's good news this time!
 Enty 13 Jul 2011

Or do what I do and don't click on a thread titled "Tour de France 2011" before I've seen the highlights.

E

With respect I've already been caught on this thread in the same way seems like this thread is one to avoid before you've caught up.
 Ramblin dave 13 Jul 2011
In reply to La Shamster: Yeah, likewise.

Would it be possible for a mod to just stick <spoilers> in the title to avoid confusion?

I did suggest that we had a separate post thread for each stage maybe with the date.
 Ramblin dave 13 Jul 2011
In reply to La Shamster:
> (In reply to Ramblin dave)
>
> I did suggest that we had a separate post thread for each stage maybe with the date.

Yeah, but that would require people to make an effort, hence probably won't happen...

Lol I'll do one now for tomorrow and see if it works.

Just watched the highlights great win for Cav and a great lead out for him.
Just seen he has the green.
Two sprints left I think in Montpellier and Paris.
 tim000 13 Jul 2011
In reply to Enty:
> (In reply to balmybaldwin)
>
> Or do what I do and don't click on a thread titled "Tour de France 2011" before I've seen the highlights.
>
> E

correct. said it before . if you dont want to know the results dont look at anything to do with cycling.i dont.
 abr1966 13 Jul 2011
>
> Just watched the highlights great win for Cav and a great lead out for him.
>

That was a great ride by HTC today, bringing it back in the last 10k in hard conditions....Cav delivers to top it off, a quality ride for sure...
 Mooncat 13 Jul 2011
In reply to abr1966:

It may have been accidental but Geraint Thomas seemed unexplicably to set up the lead out for Cav.
In reply to abr1966:

And in terrible conditions.
Now for the mountains let's see what the big guns can do. Can't wait.
Hope to watch highlights as I am out climbing tomorrow.
 Enty 13 Jul 2011
In reply to Mooncat:

Accidental? You've been around longer than that Moony?

E
 abr1966 13 Jul 2011
In reply to Mooncat: Aye I noticed that!....wonder when his sky contract is up!!
 abr1966 13 Jul 2011
In reply to Christheclimber: Agreed. I think Cadel looks strong, hard to tell yet with Schleck and Contador could make a lot of time up over the next few days...
johnj 13 Jul 2011
In reply to abr1966:

Or perhaps soon Sky poach Cav for their leaderless team.
 abr1966 13 Jul 2011
In reply to johnj: Quite possible but I always saw them as trying for a GC leader rather than stages. I'd like to see Cav there but he looks happy with HTC, G could be unhappy if he's always going to have to work for Wiggins and never be supported with his own ambition. It'll be interesting to see how he does now the mountains are here..
johnj 13 Jul 2011
In reply to abr1966:

Yeah G's got a chance now to see what he's got in the big hills, I hope he has a good ride.
 Mooncat 14 Jul 2011
In reply to Enty:
> (In reply to Mooncat)
>
> Accidental? You've been around longer than that Moony?
>
Meant tongue in cheek, probably practicing the lead out for when Cav's at Sky next year.

Mr Fuller 14 Jul 2011
In reply to Christheclimber: Does Sean Yates share a voicebox with Ozzy Osbourne?
 Toby S 14 Jul 2011
In reply to tim000:
> (In reply to Enty)
> [...]
>
> correct. said it before . if you dont want to know the results dont look at anything to do with cycling.i dont.

Exactly, the thread is clearly about the race, if you don't want to know the results don't look at the thread. I don't understand why folk are getting their knickers in a twist about it. Better that than clogging up the forums with a new thread every day about each stage.
 Chris the Tall 14 Jul 2011
Here's a question to the experts

Would Griepl be as successful as Cav if he had the backing of the HTC team ?

I know the TDF organisers are trying to make it harder for Cav, but do any of his sprint rivals have a whole team dedicated to them ?
 Chris the Tall 14 Jul 2011
In reply to Toby S:
Quite agree - safe in mornings, spoilers in the afternoon.

Of course you have to avoid various news sites in the afternoons as well. And then when you notice that this thread has had a dozen posts around 4 o clock you get the feeling that something big has happened. Has Cav won or has he crashed and gone out....
In reply to Christheclimber: Live on Eurosport now - and online here http://sports-livez.com/channel/ch-7.php

Missed all the action yesterday including the highlights yesrerday.
Fill me on the highlights please.
And any predictions for today?
 Flatlander 15 Jul 2011

It all went to hell, Contador beat Frank and Andy with a sh*ty stick and Evans cried when the Spanish steak eater turned on the power, Basso was nowhere to be seen.

Or was that last year :P

Contador lost more time and Frank looks the strongest out or Team Lepard, Evans is still in good form and Basso showed his head.
 balmybaldwin 15 Jul 2011

In summary:

Group of 7 or so (inc Geraint Thomas & Hoogerland) went out from peloton fairly early on, taking top 6 sprint points, when the peleton came through Cav got the 7th, HTC team mates seem to have changed tactics a bit, and made sure they got some of the other places between Cav and rivals for Green to improve points gain. Yellow Jersey in the peloton

First Mountain of the day (name escapes me) group goes over the top about 5 mins ahead of peleton, GT in 5th place, Hoogerland dropped from group, about 3 mins back. Some slipperyness on the first corner of descent meant GT went down, (and nearly off an edge) as did the lead riders of the peloton including the Yellow Jersey.

After a rnge of bike changes for various riders who came off, GT and one other (name?) broke clear of the leading group, and by half way up, GT had lost the other, although he came back ahead of the the top of the Tormoulet (sp?) and took the big points from GT time gap at this stage was about 7mins. No probs on the descent this time. Peloton driven up the Tormoulet by the Schlecks' team, who were looking very strong, and came up at quite a pace. Contador by comparison seemed to be struggling a bit more than the Schlecks with only one or 2 of his team around him. Evans and Yellow Jersey remained in contact all the way through.

At the start of the Luz Ardiden climb Evan Basso's team went out setting a high pace, which continued as his team dropped off, with some interesting game playing amoung Andy, Frank, AC, Evans and the YJ just holding on. Peloton rapidly caught the stragglers from the orignal lead group, and went on to go past GT. Sanchez and Vanendert break clear of the Pelotn. Attacks continued to the end from the Schlecks, with Frank eventually breaking clear and rapidly catching the lead pair who reacted at the last minute, Sammy Sanchez getting the win ahead of Vanendert, with Frank comming in 10s behind, Evans, Basso and Andy S, and Voeckler came in a further 30s back, with contador another 14s behind them.

So no real time gains, but an interesting tester and the pace was high so be interesting to see the effect on the legs by the end of the week.

A good day for the French who lead three of the five categories on Bastille Day. Voeckler is in yellow. Jeannesson has the white jersey and AG2R are the best team.
 Monk 15 Jul 2011

Roy was the other rider in the lead with Thomas. And Voeckler was dropped in the final couple of Km of the last climb but did enough to retain the jersey. He finished 9th, 50 seconds behind the leader (and 17 seconds behind Contador). I was very impressed with his ride.
 Ramblin dave 15 Jul 2011
Whereas it looks like today, not much is going to happen in terms of the GC contenders, and it'll mostly be about a breakaway and (ironically for a stage including the aubisque) the green jersey...

Currently there doesn't seem to be much between the main GC contenders and I don't think any of them are significantly stronger than the others to create and maintain a breakaway on a normal stage.

However there are still three mountain top finishes left which are realistically the only chances that any of them will have. Looking at yesterday's stage I think the Schlecks are in best position as they ride for the same team and being brothers are likely to work for each other better - they were taking it in turns to attack on the final climb yesterday - not easy to defend when you are relatively isolated like Contador and to a lesser extent Evans.

I think the podium will consist of the two Schlecks and Evans, not sure of the order. If Cav keeps picking up intermediate sprint points then he stands a very good chance of keeping on to the green jersey. Haven't checked how far Geraint Thomas is behind in the white jersey comp but if he continues to ride like he did yesterday then he stands a good chance.

Still a way to go yet though.

ALC
 balmybaldwin 15 Jul 2011
In reply to Monk:

So he was... missed Voeckler being dropped, it was a bit of an exciting finsh tho, and he did bloody well to keep the YJ... guuessing he'll have it until Sat now

I was impressed by the way GT found the gap between the 2 parked cars, and managed to abandon ship before possibly going over a drop. Chasing back to the break and then riding away from them was impressive. Had he not had the crash and had to chase back on, he'd have stood a good chance of taking the stage. Chapeau!
 Ramblin dave 15 Jul 2011
In reply to a lakeland climber:
>
> Currently there doesn't seem to be much between the main GC contenders and I don't think any of them are significantly stronger than the others to create and maintain a breakaway on a normal stage.

Yeah, sorry, I meant a breakaway by some random have-a-go-heroes with the GC contenders basically trying to avoid any mishaps.

> If Cav keeps picking up intermediate sprint points then he stands a very good chance of keeping on to the green jersey.

Yes. Although on the evidence so far Gilbert is also capable of picking up points on stages like today's by climbing hard enough to lose the sprinters and then sprinting fast enough to beat the climbers.

From a partisan point of view it's tempting to moan that as soon as (arguably) the best sprinter in the pack is British, they come up with a course that makes it possible for an all-rounderish classics specialist like Gilbert to compete with the pure sprinters in the green jersey comp. But it does make for a much more interesting race.

> Still a way to go yet though.

Yes. For starters, it wouldn't be surprising if one or more of the big GC riders was planning on riding into fitness through the pyrenees and only really hitting his peak in the alps, but I couldn't say which one...
 Chris the Tall 15 Jul 2011
Nice move by the Schlecks. Seems to me that Andy is considered more of a threat, so the others were less worried about letting Frank get away. Now Frank is in the lead, Andy might be able to slip away.

Conto looks a spent force - presume the Giro took too much out of him, but then he didn't expect to ride here. I guess the days when you could win both are long gone.
> From a partisan point of view it's tempting to moan that as soon as (arguably) the best sprinter in the pack is British, they come up with a course that makes it possible for an all-rounderish classics specialist like Gilbert to compete with the pure sprinters in the green jersey comp. But it does make for a much more interesting race.
>

I think it's really odd that the award differant points in the green jersey comp depending upon the nature of the stage. I thought the green was for the most consistent finisher and not the best sprinter - he get's his rewards in terms of stage wins.

And I have to admit that if Cav wasn't british I'd be all in favour of the changes to make it harder for him so often. The efficiency of the HTC machine is pretty impressive, but it is a bit predictable
 sutty 15 Jul 2011

Follow it live on your computer if not blocked;
http://www.letour.fr/us/index.html
 balmybaldwin 15 Jul 2011

didn't realise they were different, I thought they still got 45points for the green for finishing first it's just that the people winning them tend to be nowhere in the points comp. doesn't seem logical for it to be different points given
In reply to sutty:
You can also live coverage on 5 live extra, although it's a tough decision with Radcliffe and Maconie on 6 music
Yesterday it was a mere 20 points for the winner, same as at the intermediate sprint
 Frank4short 15 Jul 2011

> I was impressed by the way GT found the gap between the 2 parked cars, and managed to abandon ship before possibly going over a drop. Chasing back to the break and then riding away from them was impressive. Had he not had the crash and had to chase back on, he'd have stood a good chance of taking the stage. Chapeau!

Having watched all of it live yesterday I suspect yours is an overly partisan view. Thomas did brilliantly to get as far as he did but he truely exploded on that last climb & about 5/6km from the top. His 2 slips on the descent were relatively minor in terms of the time lost compared to how he faired after he blew up on that final climb. Boy has talent no doubt & may be someone to watch in future though he's still a ways a way from true greatness yet.
Thanks for all the very comprehensive catch up news from yesterday.

I'm watching live on ITV 4 but it is spoiled by the very frequent advertising breaks.

End or Stage surprising...............but do not want to spoil it if you haven't seen.
 balmybaldwin 15 Jul 2011

Oh good, can't wait!
 ring ouzel 15 Jul 2011
In reply to Christheclimber: Ah, not just me then that found them annoying. I have taken to recording it so I can fastforward over them.

Not climbing today as it is wet so it's housework for me followed by TDF.

What is your prediction for today?

abr1966 16 Jul 2011
In reply to Christheclimber: Leading group of about 24 riders with 6 mins lead but 107 km to go...could be an interesting day today....if Contador is going to try and get time back it could be his day but there are plenty of fast descents also for those with the bottle.

My money would be on Schleck's today to have a go at Contador again..
In reply to abr1966:

Did not realise the race had started thanks for the prompt
 abr1966 16 Jul 2011
In reply to Christheclimber: Millar in the group of 3 leading from the main breakaway....he's looking good this year and rode a strong tour so far.
It'll be interesting to see if Contador has anything in him today. Got to drive my kids around to various places this afternoon sadly and will have to stop watching soon, bugger!
 Enty 16 Jul 2011
Why is Millar committing suicide?

e
 Chris the Tall 16 Jul 2011
" when the team had to pick me off the floor a minute into the prologue, I knew I was having a bad race"
 LastBoyScout 16 Jul 2011

Someone get Jens some stabilisers...
 Enty 16 Jul 2011
In reply to LastBoyScout:
>
> Someone get Jens some stabilisers...

His English is very good though.

Jens to cameraman - "F*ck Off"

E

Enty 16 Jul 2011
In reply to LastBoyScout:

So after his second tumble he realised he wouldn't get back on the break - so he loaded up with Bidons and food so when the boys came up to him he could feed the rest of his team. LEGEND!!

E
 PeterM 16 Jul 2011
In reply to Toby S:
> (In reply to Enty)
>
> Have you seen this: http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

Brilliant! The guy is a living legend, if a slightly scarred one.
 Chris the Tall 16 Jul 2011
Slightly disappointing stage - great stuff by voekler, but too much wheel sucking by the gc candidates. Let's hope Alpe d'huez shakes things up, otherwise it will be down to the TT
Removed User 16 Jul 2011
> Slightly disappointing stage - great stuff by voekler, but too much wheel sucking by the gc candidates. Let's hope Alpe d'huez shakes things up, otherwise it will be down to the TT

There's still a huge week to go, what did you expect today?
A lot of cagey/smart riding. Sure Evans would be happy to go to the TT with the current standings.
Galibier summit finish the day before Alp d'Huez could prove crucial.
 niallk 16 Jul 2011
> but too much wheel sucking by the gc candidates.

What do you mean? If you looked really (really) closely Evans put in a semi-attack for about 5 seconds. I'm not sure I've seen that before. I admit it was hard to see though, he did it in the crowds. He's a shy and sensitive type
 Enty 16 Jul 2011
In reply to niallk:

I saw him attack in Mendrisio in 2009.................

E

Voekler had a great ride today. Andy Schlek is looking strong.
In reply to niallk:

I think Evans is looking better than he ever has. He seems to be riding like Armstrong used to; just marking people and staying calm the whole time. Have a feeling he's saved his energy for the alps.
Don't think Contador can be written off yet either. He looked much stronger today so maybe a sign that he's finding his legs again, though he does have quite a big gap to make up.
Or could Voeckler go and surprise us all and hold it all the way to Paris?!
 tim000 16 Jul 2011
> (In reply to niallk)
>
>
> Or could Voeckler go and surprise us all and hold it all the way to Paris?!

fingers crossed, come on tommy(or as he was discribed on ITV this week a harry enfield impersonator)
In reply to tim000:

Yeah, there is a definite resemblance!

I like the guy - I think a lot of people do after his performance in 2004 (or was it 2005) - but I just can't bear for France's drought in Tour wins to come to and end...I'm sure they can drag it out for many more years and keep us all laughing
 niallk 16 Jul 2011
In reply to Enty:
> (In reply to niallk)
>
> I saw him attack in Mendrisio in 2009.................
>
> E

Yes, I know, don't let that get in the way of a cheap jibe though!

Enjoyed the stage but was dissapointed in the lack of effective or protracted aggression.

Swirly 16 Jul 2011
Why do the commentators keep suggesting Sammy Sanchez can time trial? This is the guy who lost over two minutes to Menchov in the 2010 ITT while trying to hold onto a podium place.

If one of the brother Grimm doesn't put in a huge attack in the Alps they have no chance Andy needs 90 sec on Bertie and a minute on Evans, Frank about one minute and 30 secs on those two to have any chance. They might all regret not putting time into Bertie on Thursday though, a flat stage and a rest day might be all he needs to get himself strong enough to go on the offensive.

Awesome efforts by Tommy V to stay in yellow, imagine the crowds and atmosphere if he's still wearing it on the Alpe.
 Graham T 16 Jul 2011
In reply to Swirly:

>
> Awesome efforts by Tommy V to stay in yellow, imagine the crowds and atmosphere if he's still wearing it on the Alpe.

That would be unreal. I want Tommy to win now, don't think the schlecks dare go for it properly, and certainly don't want to see contador win it
 Graham T 16 Jul 2011
In reply to Horse:
It does look nice, but would rather have it in dark blue or black
 highcamp 17 Jul 2011

While not a decisive stage in terms of GC selection, today's performances were very interesting to watch. It's evident AC is not at top form this week. Personally, I don't think it's as a result of having ridden the Giro - I believe it's ailment related (perhaps that knee is more of a problem than Saxo is letting on). Anyway, what was interesting was that eventhough AC was at the back end of the select group the entire climb, the Schlecks still couldn't get enough of a jump to dislodge him. Alberto looked stronger than Thurs, that's for sure.... who knows what he'll feel like in the Alps.

As for Voeckler, phenomenal performance! I'd love to see him take the overall at this point, just because of his gutsy performance the past couple days.
 Swirly 17 Jul 2011
In reply to highcamp: Personally I think his performance in the Giro has had quite a large effect on his tour performance so far. Remember at the time of the Giro he wasn't expecting to ride the tour so had no worries about attacking early to take pink and then, having got a lead that could easily have been defended just by following attacks, he continued to attack on every uphill finish and even went for the win in the final ITT, only sitting up when it was apparent he wasn't going to get the stage win. Moreover, he only went into training for the tour partway through the Dauphiné: not a particularly long time to build up to a grand tour.

To be honest his riding in the Giro completely changed my opinion of Bertie as a cyclist, I'm hoping he gets his form back as the other GC riders seem happy just to follow each other. Based on performance so far I would love for Voeckler to hold on but if he keeps on improving (and he was ill in the first week last year) then it could well still be the Alpine Coltador show later this week.
Removed User 17 Jul 2011
In reply to highcamp: Would have to agree with Swirly that AC will be suffering from the Giro. Nobody who has ridden both has had a good TdF, look at last years Tour.
However, the Schleks could end up paying for not taking more time this week. I think they are more likely to lose the tour than win it.
Evans could well be the best contender if he can maintain his position through the Alps.
And whats not to like about Tommy! Difficult to see him hold onto yellow beyond thursday though. Finally Basso could be playing a very calculated game, was poor at the Dauphine' but looked very controlled yesterday.
Cav for today then roll on next week!
 Chris the Tall 17 Jul 2011
In reply to Horse:
Didn't he throw that bike in a ditch after a couple of hours yesterday ?

Wonder if Bertie will be back to his usual form after the rest day - once he gets a couple of good steaks inside him......

Will Cav do his stuff today?
So far so good
 Enty 17 Jul 2011

Did you see Jens rubbing his road-rash with his towel?

E
 Swirly 17 Jul 2011
In reply to Enty: After his crashes yesterday the mountain was air lifted to hospital.
 Yanis Nayu 17 Jul 2011
In reply to Enty:
>
> Did you see Jens rubbing his road-rash with his towel?
>
> E

This is all getting a bit homo-erotic...
 Yanis Nayu 17 Jul 2011
In reply to Swirly:
> (In reply to Enty) After his crashes yesterday the mountain was air lifted to hospital.

The mountain certainly won the other year.

HTC are doing all the work again.
 Swirly 17 Jul 2011
In reply to Christheclimber: That is an awesome result for Cav, Gilbert nowhere and Rojas way back in 5th.
In reply to Swirly:

Number 19 Stage win! Paris next.
 Yanis Nayu 17 Jul 2011
In reply to Christheclimber: Well done Cav. Awesome. Here's hoping he gets over the Alps and does the business in Paris again.
 highcamp 17 Jul 2011
In reply to Swirly:

Ok, I was too lazy in my writing. What I meant to convey was that I believe an ailment is contributing to the lion's share of AC's form being off. I certainly recognize that the Giro has affected him as well. The reason I believe it is ailment related is from watching AC's cadence and pedaling motion. His cadence is clearly lower than typical, involves a lot more rocking, and there were two shorter climbs in Brittany were it was clear his rocking was also asymmetrical. Watch him on any uphill, he's rocking at the base of the hill already, at a far lower cadence. If he was rocking and lowering his cadence because of heavy legs, one would expect him to get popped far earlier for lack of conditioning. But he maintains with the top GC guys all the way to the top. I think he's rocking and lowering his cadence to compensate for an ailment. Youtube videos of him at the Giro and here at the Tour and just observe the cadence and pedaling motion differences... pretty clear there is something up.

As for the quips about AC and his rest-day steaks..... please! People seem to selectively forget Frank Schleck's 7000 € order to Dr. Fuentes. That's some pricey paella.
 Enty 17 Jul 2011
In reply to Swirly:
> (In reply to Christheclimber) That is an awesome result for Cav, Gilbert nowhere and Rojas way back in 5th.

Gilbert thought he was at the Rond van Flanderen about 3km out - but then again he had to try something.

E
 Brass Nipples 17 Jul 2011

If Cavendish was on a ride with me I'd tell him to get out front and do some of the hard work. Cheeky bugger drafting on my wheel
 Enty 17 Jul 2011
In reply to PaleMan:

Yeah but after 3 weeks of sucking your wheel he might give you a cheque for 10 grand?

E
 Swirly 17 Jul 2011
In reply to highcamp: Dr Ferrari wasn't it? But Frank didn't take any advice or have any association with him. That's how nice a guy Frank is, I'm hoping to get my €7000 any day now.
> (In reply to Chris the Tall)
>
> HTC are doing all the work again.

The more Cav wins, the harder the team has to work. Why would any other team want a bunch finish - it's a foregone conclusion.

Interesting comments from proudhomme today, basically admitting that they have changed the rules for the green jersey to favour Cav. Not sure if I agree with that. Cav is undoubtedly the best sprinter for a generation, if not the best ever, but the likes of Gilbert or hushovd are better all rounders, more consistent finishers. Cav gets his prizes in stage wins, why change the rules to give him the green jersey ?
In reply to highcamp:
> (In reply to Swirly)
>
> As for the quips about AC and his rest-day steaks..... please! People seem to selectively forget Frank Schleck's 7000 € order to Dr. Fuentes. That's some pricey paella.

hey, I'm one of the few people who think Bertie should be riding. But just because I don't think he should be found guilty, doesn't mean I think he's innocent. And doesn't he have far closer links to the dodgy doctor and operation puerto.

Or at least his dog has - bad dog

Removed User 17 Jul 2011
> [...]
>
why change the rules to give him the green jersey ?

Really asking that?????

Because he is consistently the best finisher and wins stages, surely the ultimate prize after the GC. To win 6 stages in one tour but not the points classification is exactly the reason to change the system!

kevin stephens 17 Jul 2011

Great that this seems to me to be the most open and unpredictable tour recently. Am I naive in thinking that the progressive improvement in dope testing is leveling the field? If so I guess the attrition in the alps may be much more telling this year.

Every stage I'm wondering how Wiggo would be doing.
In reply to kevin stephens:

No I agree about the doping and it's great that the TDF is so open this year.
 andy 17 Jul 2011
>
> Great that this seems to me to be the most open and unpredictable tour recently. Am I naive in thinking that the progressive improvement in dope testing is leveling the field? If so I guess the attrition in the alps may be much more telling this year.
>
> Every stage I'm wondering how Wiggo would be doing.

Brailsford was saying that the numbers brad was putting out in training would suggest he'd be well up there.
 kevin stephens 17 Jul 2011
In reply to andy:
Yep, somehow I don't think Wiggo, or possibly any of the Brits will be bothering with the Maddison at the 2012 olympics

Stage 16:
St Paul Trois Chateaux - Gap is well underway.
The peleton do not seem to be chasing the breakaway group.
 JLS 19 Jul 2011

...and it's a sh!t day for climbing in Ceuse.
In reply to JLS:

How long have you been out there?
 JLS 19 Jul 2011

I'm not. I'm in the rain elsewhere in the alps watching the telly and noting that it was raining in ceuse as they rode past. Sort of good to know no-one is out climbing.
In reply to JLS:

It looks pretty shitty all over the south of France.

Contador going well!
 Swirly 19 Jul 2011
In reply to Christheclimber: Yes that's more like it. Straight fight between Evans and Bertie for the tour now.
In reply to Swirly:

Evans to win???
 Swirly 19 Jul 2011
In reply to Christheclimber: if he can do what he does best and follow Bertie's wheel all over the Alps then he'll win. If Bertie can drop him then it's the double. The Schlecks will lose what they still have in the TT.
In reply to Swirly:

Evans has the time advantage at the moment with 1 minute 18 seconds.
 Swirly 19 Jul 2011
In reply to Christheclimber: yeah but he can lose that in one climb if he gets spat out the group. Look at Andy Shreck today, lost over a minute on a cat 2 hill.
 JLS 19 Jul 2011

Nice of Cav to ride hard over the hills to make the Green Jersey presentation.
 Martin Wright 19 Jul 2011
In reply to Christheclimber: Don't dismiss Voeckler too easily. He's just going about his business and maintaining his lead, against all the pre-Tour expectations. Imagine the reaction in Paris if he holds on to the yellow jersey.
 Chris the Tall 19 Jul 2011
> Wonder if Bertie will be back to his usual form after the rest day - once he gets a couple of good steaks inside him......

Let the speculation begin !

In reply to Swirly:

What went wrong with Andy Schleck he was good on the steep stuff last year?
 abr1966 19 Jul 2011
In reply to Christheclimber: Looking at GC Cadel has 2 minutes on Contador still....really depends on how much/if Contador can put time into Cadel in the Alps. The TT should be fairly even between them whilst Schleck should lose time on that but he doesn't look great at the moment anyway.

Should be a few good days coming up, I can't wait!!
 Mikkel 19 Jul 2011

He got scared on the downhill bit
 tim000 19 Jul 2011
In reply to Mikkel:
>
> He got scared on the downhill bit

and then complained and said there shouldn`t be any downhill finishes.what a pillock.
In reply to tim000:
> (In reply to Mikkel)
> [...]
>
> and then complained and said there shouldn`t be any downhill finishes.what a pillock.
Yes, he went down in my estimation when he said that.
In reply to jonathan shepherd:
> (In reply to tim000)
> [...]
> Yes, he went down in my estimation when he said that.

I agree what does he want uphill all the way?

Mikkel 19 Jul 2011

yes, and its not allowed to rain either.
 tim000 19 Jul 2011
In reply to Christheclimber: the stupid thing is he got dropped on the climb anyway . and only a cat 2 climb. this is the day after he complained that only frank and him were prepared to attack. bet he wished he kept his gob shut now.
 Tom Valentine 19 Jul 2011
In reply to tim000:
Same bloke who tried to convince the viewers a couple of years ago that it really was better to finish fourth than third
Removed User 19 Jul 2011
> > However, the Schleks could end up paying for not taking more time this week. I think they are more likely to lose the tour than win it.
> Evans could well be the best contender if he can maintain his position through the Alps.
> And whats not to like about Tommy! Difficult to see him hold onto yellow beyond thursday though.

.........can I start saying I told you so yet!
To be honest I can't see the Schleks or any of the other big guns being out of it yet. A good attack on one of the big climbs could earn several minutes. However, Evans could be in the driving seat with Bertie regaining some form to be the main challenger. Wonder what he had for tea last night?
 danm 19 Jul 2011
In reply to tim000:

I also didn't think Andy Schleck came out too well in that interview, but before all you armchair racers wade in, remember that these guys have seen lots of bad crashes in this tour, plus a good rider was killed horribly quite recently. It's obvious that nerves are a bit frayed in the peleton - Evans said he was sh**ting it and he's been there, done it, seen it all before.

I'm rooting for Evans and Voekler, particularly because if Contador wins, his victory will always to some feel somewhat "tainted".
 Tiberius 20 Jul 2011
In reply:

I've thought Evans looked good early on, he's probably still my favorite. I was surprised yesterday by the improvement of Cantador and the decay of the Schleks.

Everyone has bad days and good days, but Evans seems to have consistancy, he should gain a minute or two against the Schleks in the time trial, and I can't seem him losing that time to Contador, if he loses any.

So, really Contador needs to get all his lost time back in the alps, and at the moment Evans doesn't look like he's going to allow that. It was good to see Evans attack today, almost like he was saying 'If I'm going to win this, then I'm going to prove that I'm worth it'.

As for descending in the rain...I once rode down a mountain pass, slowly in the dry heat of summer. It was probably the scariest thing I've ever done. Immense respect to Evans for racing down it in the rain. One mistake, or piece of bad luck away from serious injury.
 Mr Fuller 20 Jul 2011
In reply to Tiberius: I now think that Evans will win, having favoured Andy Schleck before the race started. However, Voekler is looking the dark horse. I can see him getting on the podium and either Contador or Sammy Samchez.
 Chris the Tall 20 Jul 2011
In reply to Tiberius:
Didn't see the full highlights, but did Evans really attack or did he just stick to bertie's wheel until the last km. Still, if he does that on Thurs and Fri he's in a good position to win.

I suppose we shouldn't be too harsh on the wheelsucker. He may be an Aussie, but he used to to be a mountain biker, so can't be all bad. Even though it looks like he took one too many face-plants, and sounds like he caught his knackers on the handlebars a few times!
 MJH 20 Jul 2011
In reply to Chris the Tall: Cadel attacked on the long descent to the finish - basically he was more prepared to take risks than AC.

AC was really fortunate to have Sammy Sanchez to work with in the run in otherwise he would have lost a fair bit more time to Cadel.

I was just looking at last year's tour (where of course Cadel had a stinker) and AC beat him by over 5 mins in the TT. However in 2009 AC only beat him by 1m14 when AC was in much better TT form than I suspect he is now (AC beat Spartacus that year!).
 Toby_W 20 Jul 2011

I've never really warmed to Evans but I really really hope he wins. I have a huge if grudging respect for him, I think/would like to believe he's clean and that decent showed a lot of courage considering last year he had a broken shoulder on it.

Now if Cav can just get over the Alps. I never looked hard at his build before and he certainly not made to ride fast over big hills.

Cheers

Toby
In reply to Toby_W:

> Now if Cav can just get over the Alps. I never looked hard at his build before and he certainly not made to ride fast over big hills.
>
I think they are quite worried he may struggle to get inside the elimination time at Alpe d'Huez. Curiously it sounds like this won't lead to automatic elimination, but may lead to him losing points in the green jersey comp.
 Mr Fuller 20 Jul 2011
In reply to Chris the Tall: Yes, that stage looks absolutely terriying. Because it's short it'll probably be ridden flat-out throughout, having done three HC climbs the previous day. Yikes.

Sometimes the difference between wining and losing is how much you are prepared to put in...............

Having fun on the final descent!!

Voekler in a house drive/car park!!
 abr1966 20 Jul 2011
In reply to Christheclimber: Good win again for Sky today! I'm a lucky sod as just finished work untill Monday so.... my days are early rides, the sofa and eurosport!

The more the tour goes on the more I want Cadel to win and the more I don't want Contador to. Sanchez could be the yellow jersey though as he is climbing well and looks strong....anyone know what his TT's are like??
 Jamie Hageman 20 Jul 2011
In reply to abr1966: When I'm out on the bike and get overtaken by a motorbike, I usually get a face full of petrol/oil fumes. How do the guys on the tour cope when they are surrounded by motorbikes all day? It would really pi** me off!
 Tiberius 20 Jul 2011
> (In reply to Tiberius)
> Didn't see the full highlights, but did Evans really attack or did he just stick to bertie's wheel

He worked with Contador and Sanchez uphill, then left them going down. Not so much attacking early on as just being a far superior downhill rider (he's a mountain biker). Once he got on the flat, about 30 seconds ahead he pushed on but Contador and Sanchez worked together to get back most of the deficit
 kevin stephens 20 Jul 2011
In reply to Tiberius:

It's all about tomorrow. All of the attacks so far have just been about gamesmanship and conserving strength (sans le dope) for the proper climbs
Any one of 6 men could conceivably be in yellow tomorrow, shlecks, ce, tv, ac or even ss. I can't think of any tdf since I've following it - 23 years or so - that has been this open in the final week
 Ramblin dave 20 Jul 2011
Fantastic, innit. The green jersey has been remarkably close as well, even without the "will Cav actually survive the mountains" question...
 Tiberius 21 Jul 2011
> It's all about tomorrow.

Yes, today will probably answer the big questions.

1. Can Tommy keep with the climbers any more in the big mountains.

My guess is sadly not, nice chap, but I think today will finally see him go backwards.

2. Can Evans keep with the climbers. People keep expecting him to attack, but he's not a climber. He's not going to win the tdf by gaining a bunch of time on a mountain top. He could however lose it, like he did a few years ago. If he can keep within a minute of them, then the tdf is his in my view.

3. Have the Schleks blown it? My guess is that they have for this year. Their only chance is to lose Evans and gain a few minutes on him ready for the TT.

4. What can Contador do? He's going to do about the same as Evans in the TT, so he has to get his lost time back in the mountains. He has found a somewhat unfair 'teammate' in Sanchez. I know this is a team sport, but really you should be using teammates of your own team...not someone else's, but hey ho, it's all part of the game.

I still lean towards Evans, but today is the first test, and there aren't many more to go.
 Eagle River 21 Jul 2011
In reply to Tiberius:

> I still lean towards Evans, but today is the first test, and there aren't many more to go.

This is what I find most amazing about the TDF. They have been racing for over two weeks across mountains and TODAY is the first test!? I think getting out of bed the day after a single stage would be a big enough test for me.

Any accounts of the weather today on the Galibier?

Last night they seemed to be saying that today it would be okay, but tomorrow it might be dodgy on the return trip.

Alan
 Tiberius 21 Jul 2011
In reply to Eagle River:
> ...TODAY is the first test!?

lol...yeah, rather bad wording I used I think. However, today is the first of the really big mountain stages, it's going to be a significant test of Cadel and Tommy in regards to can they stay with the climbers, and of AC and the Schleks in regards to can they actually do anything.
 Tiberius 21 Jul 2011
In reply to Alan James - UKC:
> Any accounts of the weather today on the Galibier?

It looks rather 'British', i.e. variable. It could have a big impact too, The Schleks look crap when the weather is bad, Contador seems OK, Evans shines.

Although yesterday it seemed to be covered in Snow not rain. Should be fun.
In reply to Tiberius:

I think it will be Evans who will win, todays stage will show the way. I keep expecting Contador to pull something out of his hat (not a steak sandwich though)Voekler may surprise us but can he keep up today?
 Liam M 21 Jul 2011
In reply to Eagle River: Isn't that the case with a lot of endurance events though - it's the later parts that are revealing. Most athletes with any hope of doing well will be able to keep up with pushes by opponents early on, but it's in the later stages, especially if the course has a sting in the tail that reveal how much they've had to give earlier on.

Though I agree that any one of the stages alone would probably be enough to pop me for the next few days.
 Eagle River 21 Jul 2011
In reply to Liam M:

I completely understand that the next two stages are the meat of the tour and as someone who has only watched a couple of tours I'm finding it all quite addictive. I'm just baffled at how superhuman these guys are. Considering 17 stages as "softeners" in preparation for the real test?! Mental.

The heart rate, power output, cadence data site is fascinating too, I think at one point a guy in the pelaton was cycling along at 55km/h and his heart rate was below 100BPM! I think mine is more than that sat at my desk.
 Mr Fuller 21 Jul 2011
In reply to Eagle River: Yeah, when you see side-by-side numbers between normal people and these guys it is just disgusting.

About a year ago I did a 1km TT at The Outdoor Show on a training bike and averaged 397 watts for 1 minute 15 seconds (the time it took me to finish). I had blown up at 1.05 and was really struggling for the last ten seconds. Juan Antonio Flecha managed 397 watts average for 20 minutes a couple of days ago!
 abr1966 21 Jul 2011
In reply to Mr Fuller: What sites are you looking at mate for that kind of info...i'd like to compare myself!!
 Eagle River 21 Jul 2011
In reply to abr1966:

http://www.srm.de/index.php/gb/unternehmen/news/640

There is a link in red at the bottom of the page which goes live when the stage starts.
 Fredt 21 Jul 2011

The Schlecks are starting to remind me of Jedward.
 abr1966 21 Jul 2011
In reply to Eagle River: Ta mate thats great
 catt 21 Jul 2011
In reply to Eagle River:

Cool!
Stage 18 - Pinerolo to Galibier Serre-Chevalier 200.5 km.
Well underway with approx 100 km to go.
The peleton are 7.43 behind the lead group.
 balmybaldwin 21 Jul 2011
In reply to Eagle River:

Bugger it's blocked by our web police at work grrr
 Mr Fuller 21 Jul 2011
In reply to Christheclimber: Fantastic stuff from Andy Schleck. This is amazing planning. If he blows up and can't do it then they'll all get behind Frank. The others have a serious problem right now...
 thermal_t 21 Jul 2011
In reply to Mr Fuller: If Schleck takes this to the finish it is going to be a phenomenal effort! Contador must believe that he is going to blow up trying or would surely have tried to go with him.
 balmybaldwin 21 Jul 2011
In reply to thermal_t:

Seems like a good move, especially linking up with another team mate!
 Tobias at Home 21 Jul 2011
In reply to balmybaldwin: would monfort have been put in the breakaway especially for this strategy or was that just good luck...?
 Mr Fuller 21 Jul 2011
In reply to Tobias at Home: Strategy, otherwise it would have been a waste of a team mate.
 Frank4short 21 Jul 2011
In reply to Christheclimber: How long has Voeckler got left? He looks like he's really suffering staying in that group & i'm not convinced they aren't going to seriously ramp it up before the finish.
 Mr Fuller 21 Jul 2011
In reply to Frank4short: Yeah, I think he's knackered. He'll maybe lose a minute on Evans, Contador, Sanchez today?
 Frank4short 21 Jul 2011
In reply to Mr Fuller: I'd be very surprised if it weren't either Andy Schleck or Evans in the yellow jersey by tonight. I'm thinking Andy personally but will he have burnt himself out to get too small a lead for both tomorrow & the TT on sat?
 Ramblin dave 21 Jul 2011
I don't know how he's looking (I'm on text updates) but Frank could do well if Andy blows up - remember he'll have been doing as little as possible to help the chase group. I wonder how much of this (including Andy having a couple of team mates up the road before the attack) was planned?
 Mr Fuller 21 Jul 2011
In reply to Christheclimber: Wow, well Voekler's still there and Bertie's gone bang.
 thermal_t 21 Jul 2011
In reply to Ramblin dave: Didn't see that coming, never thought I would see the day when the likes of Voeckler and Evans would ride away from Contador!!!
 Frank4short 21 Jul 2011
In reply to Mr Fuller: There's a man who's given everything to stay in yellow. Fair play to that man lot more respect for him now than i had yesterday.

God, what an effort by Voeckler. He's fought like a dog to keep the jersey. I'd love him to win, though I can't see it.

jcm
 thermal_t 21 Jul 2011
In reply to johncoxmysteriously: Incredible wasn't it! Got to give it to Andy Schleck today as well, rolled the dice in a way people haven't been prepared to in recent tours.
 Frank4short 21 Jul 2011
In reply to thermal_t: Provisionally he has about a minute ahead of Evans. He'll need more than that to get through the timetrial intact & in yellow. That is if he can get it off of Voeckler tomorrow. Which frankly i'd be amazed, and pleasantly surprised, if Tommy could hold on again tomorrow to stay in yellow.
 Glen 21 Jul 2011
In reply to Frank4short:

So, Schleks vs Evans on alpe d'huez tomorrow. Should be fun.
Andy is going to need at least another minute on Cadel if he's to win in Paris though.
 Mr Fuller 21 Jul 2011
In reply to Glen: Yeah, tomorrow is going to be absolutely amazing.
 JLS 21 Jul 2011
In reply to Mr Fuller:

Great stuff. Fine effort by Shleck jr and the team tactics. Vochler did well to hang-in there and Evans did a great ride (with no help from anyone) to limit the loses without going mental. I'm routing for Evans but it's going to be touch and go with the two Shlecks riding against him.
In reply to JLS:

Crikey! Ben Swift tweeted that he thought the grupetto would be full today and he wasn't joking: everyone from 81st onwards was outside the time limit http://www.letour.fr/2011/TDF/LIVE/us/1800/classement/index.html

According to the BBC, Cavendish has been docked 20pts for being outside the time limit, Rojas was about 90 seconds inside but Gilbert was also outside. Only a fifteen point lead now for Cav in the points competition. So can he afford another 20pt penalty and still get the Green Jersey in Paris?

ALC
 Yanis Nayu 21 Jul 2011
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:
>
> God, what an effort by Voeckler. He's fought like a dog to keep the jersey. I'd love him to win, though I can't see it.
>
> jcm

I agree on both counts.

For some reason, I can't bring myself to like Evans.
 Yanis Nayu 21 Jul 2011
> (In reply to JLS)
>
> Crikey! Ben Swift tweeted that he thought the grupetto would be full today and he wasn't joking: everyone from 81st onwards was outside the time limit http://www.letour.fr/2011/TDF/LIVE/us/1800/classement/index.html
>
> According to the BBC, Cavendish has been docked 20pts for being outside the time limit, Rojas was about 90 seconds inside but Gilbert was also outside. Only a fifteen point lead now for Cav in the points competition. So can he afford another 20pt penalty and still get the Green Jersey in Paris?

Are there rules, or do they make them up as they go along?
>
> ALC

coaster 21 Jul 2011
In reply to Christheclimber: Amazing ride by Tommy Voeckler! Hard to believe that he is still in with the best climbers after 6 hrs in the alps. Andy Schleck rode a great stage and made up time but it is probably not enough time as yet. Saturdays 26ml time trial has some drags but I reckon the Schlecks need 2mns or so to have a chance.... Tomorrows stage will be decisive as the Schlecks have got to drop Evans to win the tour . Contadors efforts have been epic but the hardest Giro D Italia in years has taken its toll. He looks like he will go down fighting. Finally a mention of "G"from Sky. What a tour and no wonder he has just signed a 1mil contract with Sky over the nx 3 yrs. A very exciting tour this year and it is far from over. Tomorrow should be an absolute classic. Can the Schlecks gain time on Evans to secure a 2mn+ lead on Evans? Will Evans stay with Andy in particular and secure a great chance of yellow after the Tt.Can Voeckler stay with the leaders and do the Tt of his life!!!!!. Unmissable!!!!!!
 elsewhere 21 Jul 2011
In reply to wayno265:
> For some reason, I can't bring myself to like Evans.

Me too, I'd love Schleck to win after Contador stole the GC last year but a Voeckler win would be great too.

Contador dropped - YES! We were cheering the TV then.

What a fantastic stage! Brilliant tactics by Leopard-Trek.

Cavendish docked points - blast - but green jersey doesn't seem very important today. Lets hope he can survive tomorrow.
In reply to wayno265:

There's some sort of formula for working it out, something like 9% over the expected winning time but it may be adjusted depending on terrain. It is known in advance. If a rider is outside the time then they must retire from the race unless there are at least 25% of the riders in the race in that group, so sometimes a rider might be ordered to drop back to "make up the numbers"

ALC

Just watched the highlights excelent stage today.
Great ride from Voeckler, is it Andy Schlecks to lose? Can Evans pull back the time?
 Toby_W 21 Jul 2011

It's the 20% rule that keeps Cav in (i.e if more than 20% are over time).

I don't like Evans or rather have never warmed to him but I'd rather he won than the Schlecks due to all that money that changed hands to the doping doctor for a training plan a while ago. STILL that was a pretty gutsy attack by Andy today so respect.

Can't wait for tomorrow.

Cheers

Toby
 Chris the Tall 21 Jul 2011
Wow, what a stage.

Fantastic ride by scleck, deserves to win for the audacity of that attack. But hats off to voekler as well, that took some guts. You never know.

Tomorrow should be just as interesting, who has got anything left? Wouldn't be surprised to see a repeat attack, but this time by Frank, who probably didn't go as far into the red as everyone else. Poor old Evans will have to do all the work again.

As to Cav, again wouldn't be surprised by a repeat, which would see him lose the green. But then he'd still be able to win it back by winning in Paris, no problem!
 Tiberius 21 Jul 2011
> ...is it Andy Schlecks to lose? Can Evans pull back the time?

My reading of today's stage:

What was supposed to happen:
Andy attacks first, brother Frank sits back and lets Contador, Evans and Sanchez reel him back in, then he would win the stage, hopefully with enough time to make it worthwhile.

What actually happened:
I think they all sussed the Schlek plan so weren't really interested in chasing too early. Then when the time came, neither Sanchez nor Contador had it in them, leaving Evans to do virtually all the chasing on his own with very little help.

End result, Evans will be happy with a minute, probably happy that Contador is obviously not a threat now, but he probably can't afford to lose much more time tomorrow, he could pick up 2 mins in the TT, but any more than that and it starts to look difficult.

Voekler still has to be in with a real chance, it's down to 4 possibles now, and I think one of the Schleks probably has to sacrifice himself for the other, maybe Frank will sacrifice himself in the TT in the same we he did for Sastre a few years ago. It's still interesting and still all to play for.
 abr1966 21 Jul 2011
In reply to Tiberius: I woudn't disagree with anything you have said there. I did think Frank looked pretty good over the last 50 metres where he just opened up a wee bit....depends on how much Cadel can keep up tomorrow as I think Andy will do what he can for Frank and take as much out of Cadel as early as possible.

I was glad to see Contador blow out a bit. I do hope Cadel can do it although Voekeler deserves it I just don't think he can do the next 2 days like he did today...
 Tiberius 21 Jul 2011
In reply to Toby_W:
> I don't like Evans or rather have never warmed to him but

He doesn't really come across that well tbh, his voice is annoying and he doesn't seem to have much character, he doesn't make aggressive attacks in the mountains, he's just not 'lovable' in the way say Voeklar is, but I do respect him.

He's not a climber, but he battles all the time on every stage year in year out with very little team support. His descending in the rain was legendary. Ok it doesn't seem as hard as the mountain attacks put in by Schlek and Contador, but the courage that must have taken was immense.

He'll be a worth winner in my view, even if he's not celebrated as much as some others riders.
In reply to coaster:
> Andy Schleck rode a great stage and made up time but it is probably not enough time as yet. Saturdays 26ml time trial has some drags but I reckon the Schlecks need 2mns or so to have a chance.

I'm not so sure Andy Schlek is as bad at time trials as people suggest. In last year's crucial time trial, Andy Schlek lost 31 seconds to Contador only and beat Evans by about 4 minutes. Evans had nothing to gain since he was out of it but Contador had to secure victory.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/tour-de-france-2010/stage-19/results

"But Schleck still had all the reason in the world to be satisfied with his performance, as he pulled off a major feat against the clock and is certain to be an even more dangerous threat to Contador next year. Using exactly the same Specialized time trial bike as his rival, the winner of the young rider competition created some surprise when he actually took a few seconds off Contador in the beginning of the course."

Alan
 elsewhere 21 Jul 2011
In reply to Tiberius:
Any of the top 4 would be a worthy winner - it's been a while since I believed that. Supposedly some of the times are historically slow so maybe they're clean.

A brilliant stage today, looking forward to the ITV4 live coverage over the next few days.
 Chris the Tall 21 Jul 2011
In reply to Tiberius:

> Voekler still has to be in with a real chance, it's down to 4 possibles now, and I think one of the Schleks probably has to sacrifice himself for the other, maybe Frank will sacrifice himself in the TT in the same we he did for Sastre a few years ago. It's still interesting and still all to play for.

Not sure how someone could sacrifice themselves in the TT, but maybe you mean he'll sacrifice his chances by putting in a big effort tomorrow. I do think that the key to the schlecks success will lie in the fact that they genuinely don't care which of them wins. An attack by Frank tomorrow will force the others to give Andy a easy ride - well, as easy as Alpe d'huez gets.

And the TT is going to be hard to predict, they'll all be knackered, so previous form may not be a reliable indication
 HughM 21 Jul 2011
In reply to Alan James - UKC:

Cadel had a broken elbow last year so could hardly ride his time trial bike, let alone race. And Contador was a long way below his best in last year's TT (he would normally be top 5 in a TT, not 35th).

Andy Schleck is bad at time trials (although not as bad as his brother). He was 2.30 off the pace at the Tour of Switzerland in June. But I don't think Evans can safely give away any more time to Andy. Which is going to make tomorrow tricky.
 Toby_W 21 Jul 2011
In reply to Tiberius: I agree, I have huge respect for him and I hope he wins. Lots of courage.

Cheers

Toby
 kevin stephens 21 Jul 2011
In reply to HughM:

Evans hero of the day for me, he pulled the whole group including yellow jersey up the mountain, even when others tried to take a spell at the front they couldn't go fast enough so Evans got straight back on point, taking a fair amount of time back off Schleck as he faded. Evans lost on tactics rather than heart.

Evans in yellow tomorrow, Schleck wil be a bit over cooked, and there's some important descending to be done too!
 Tiberius 22 Jul 2011
> Not sure how someone could sacrifice themselves in the TT,

You slow down a bit until the guy behind you can see you, then you speed up. Once you see someone ahead of you in the TT they act like a pacemaker, it's mainly psychological, but you can usually catch them. It ruins you own chances, hence you 'sacrifice' yourself.

Perfectly illustrated by non other than Frank Schlek himself 3 years ago (I think), watch the way Sastre caught up with him relatively easy, then frank speeded up a bit, once he was passed he was keeping up with Sastre with easy until the referee made him drop back. It was pretty transparent what was going on. In the end Sastre rode a surprisingly good time trial and managed to stay ahead of Evans.

If the race order stays as is, then the order on the road for this year's TT will be that same, Frank out first, followed by Andy 2 mins later. Don't be surprised if Andy catches up to within site of brother Frank quiet easy.
 MikeTS 22 Jul 2011
> (In reply to HughM)
>
> Evans hero of the day for me,

Yes, unlike the Schlecks he had no team support, so he did well

alpinist63 22 Jul 2011
lot of wind on yesterdays stage, so most riders thought Andy had no chance to get a significant advantage before the steeper sections of the galibier.
today: Frank 1, Andy 2
Andy is not that bad at TT , his results from the tour de suisse are not very conclusive, his performance on the grosse scheidegg was not very promising for an upcoming galibier stage either.... For saturdays tt, a serious advantage for Andy would be to start behind Evans and Voeckler and so being able to get their chronos and to race acordingly, and maybe having his brother just in front.
 Chris the Tall 22 Jul 2011
In reply to Tiberius:
The commissars are pretty strict on that sort of thing and the benefits so marginal that I can't see it happening. Slip streaming is not allowed, and given that they are all miked up so know exactly how fast they need to go, there's not much benefit from a kilometre of pacemaking.

Don't remember the TT from three years ago, but sounds like schleck benefited more than sastre. Given that he's in with a chance of a podium finish - and I wouldn't be surprised if he was in yellow tonight - I can't see him throwing away 2 minutes for no good reason.
 James FR 22 Jul 2011
In reply to wayno265:

The rules are (unsurprisingly) complicated; the cut-off time depends on both what type of stage it is (flat, hilly, mountainous, long, short) and on the stage winner's average speed for the day.

If the number of eliminated riders goes over 20% of the total number of riders, the stewards can increase the cut-off limit.

However, any rider who finishes later than the original cut-off has the number of points won by the stage winner removed from their total. So it's lucky that Andy S didn't also win the intermediate sprint yesterday or Cav would have lost 40 points!

More info : http://www.letour.fr/2011/TDF/COURSE/docs/reglement.pdf

Stage 19 - Modane Valfréjus - Alpe-d’Huez 109.5 km.
Starts in about 20 minutes I think.
Going to be a great stage.
 Mr Fuller 22 Jul 2011
In reply to Christheclimber: This is already AWESOME!
 Tobias at Home 22 Jul 2011
In reply to Mr Fuller: Incroyable! This'll be a stage to remember....
 bluebealach 22 Jul 2011
In reply to Mr Fuller: Cant see it continuing but what a start. Suspect that Contador may be the first for a blood test tonight - he looked completely blown last night.

You've got to admire Tommy V though!!!
 ClimberEd 22 Jul 2011
> Looking forward to the start of this year's Tour de France next Saturday.
>
> Here is a preview of the course:
> http://www.letour.fr/VIDEOS/TDF/2011/popup_video_parcours3d.html

Cadel Evans comment was also quite cryptic about how they went so fast yesterday.
 Zygoticgema 22 Jul 2011
In reply to Christheclimber: getting text updates online and via twitter, it's just not the same! I need a TV now!
 ClimberEd 22 Jul 2011
In reply to Zygoticgema:

You can watch it online
In reply to ClimberEd:
> [...]
>
> Cadel Evans comment was also quite cryptic about how they went so fast yesterday.

Care to elaborate, or at least repeat what he said.

ALC

ClimberEd 22 Jul 2011

I can't remember the quote, but I'm not being sensationalist.

It was something about 'it can't have been possible for him to do that into a head wind on his own'

TBH, I'm more cynical of Contador's 'overnight recovery'. Evans just isn't naturally a climber so if people go faster than him it doesn't surprise me.
In reply to ClimberEd: it looks like a long lonely day for tommy.
 bluebealach 22 Jul 2011
In reply to ClimberEd:
> (In reply to a lakeland climber)
>
>
> TBH, I'm more cynical of Contador's 'overnight recovery'.

Glad someone shares my views..............not as if he has no history is it??

Toby_W 22 Jul 2011
In reply to bluebealach:

What are you talking about, he may have refused to give a DNA sample to show the blood samples found in Operation Puerto weren't his but that's no indication of guilt and it was a dodgy steak last time.

Toby
 Mike Highbury 22 Jul 2011
In reply to bluebealach:
> (In reply to ClimberEd)
> [...]
>
> Glad someone shares my views..............not as if he has no history is it??

Oh for Christ's sake. Would you prefer a digit after each name? Let's see, Contador (5), Evans (4), Schleck baby (3), Schleck fils (2) ...
 Ramblin dave 22 Jul 2011
People watching live footage (I'm on a text feed at work...) - how much work has Andy actually been putting in in the breakaway? Presumably if he's smart (and cynical) he can let Contador knacker himself hauling the breakaway, Evans knacker himself hauling the chase, and be comparatively fresh to attack on the Alpe...
In reply to Ramblin dave: wouldn't it make more sense to work with contador (who has no chance of winning the tour) so bertie can get a place on the podium and he gets the gc?
In reply to Tobias at Home:

Good effort from Bertie the Pony today he really tried to turn the race upside down

Just checked the standing in the points competition and it looks like all three of Cavendish, Rojas and Gilbert have been docked 20 points so Cav still has a lead of 15 points. Not sure what the cutoff time was but obviously all three were outside it.

I don't think the points competition applies in a time trial does it? It wouldn't make much difference to the green jersey anyway as none of the good time triallers are high in the points classification.

Cav just has to finish ahead of Rojas to get the green jersey, though no doubt he'll want to put the train in to action and get the win.

ALC
 JLS 22 Jul 2011

The Cav group came in something like 30 seconds outside the limit.
 JLS 22 Jul 2011
In reply to JLS:

Hopefully both Cav and Evans have done enough to secure the jumper wins.

Couldn't really get into the mountain comp this year... always seemed like the pokadot wearer was going out the back on a hill...
 Enty 22 Jul 2011
In reply to JLS:
> (In reply to JLS)
>

>
> Couldn't really get into the mountain comp this year... always seemed like the pokadot wearer was going out the back on a hill...

I agree - they should do it on time - they have the technology. The rider with the shortest overall time for his ascents of all the HC climbs should get it.

E

In reply to Enty: that's a very good idea. as a kid i used to get properly excited about the polka dot but it seems pretty pointless these days.

as an aside, why do they bother with a sprint on a stage like today?
In reply to Tobias at Home:

Because towns bid for them.

ALC
 elsewhere 22 Jul 2011
Did you notice Contador punching the spectator in medical greens who seemed to be offering a blood transfusion!

youtube.com/watch?v=O0W__FNIGwA&

Pierre Roland attacking Contador on Alpe D'Huez to take the stage win - that takes balls.

The commentators confusion about Cavendish's green jersey was pretty funny.

Tommy V - what a hero!

Evans has got his tactics right.

That was a tense afternoon of watching TV!
 bluebealach 22 Jul 2011
In reply to Toby_W: Not only the guilty 'steak' but I understood that there were also 'plasticizers' found which are indicative of recent blood transfusions found in the same sample..... well that's what we read.

Smoke and fire??? )
 Chris the Tall 22 Jul 2011
In reply to bluebealach:
> (In reply to Toby_W) Not only the guilty 'steak' but I understood that there were also 'plasticizers' found which are indicative of recent blood transfusions found in the same sample..... well that's what we read.
>
> Smoke and fire??? )

The problem with the plasticiser thing is that it isn't a recognised test, so we can't be sure of it's accuracy, and we don't know how many other riders are doing exactly the same thing.

Anyway, very brave ride by ac today, but maybe he should have concentrated on the stage win. He isn't the rider he was last year, but I suspect that has more to do with him winning th giro, although I imagine he is being more careful this year.

Time for people to place bets for the winner.

I'm going for Evans by 20 secs
In reply to Chris the Tall: I'll go for Andy Schleck by 10 seconds.

AC (Bertie the Pony) must be still feeling the after-effects fron the Giro it was a very brave piece of rideing from him today.

I want Evans to beat Schlek can he make up the time?
In reply to jonathan shepherd: Unless Contador has a very special dinner tonight.
 bluebealach 22 Jul 2011
In reply to Chris the Tall: Think Yellow will be short lived for Schleck so I think Evans by 43 secs
 Brass Nipples 22 Jul 2011

Which shleck though?
 abr1966 22 Jul 2011
In reply to Chris the Tall: I have thought Evans all the way through and reckon he'll take 2 - 3 mins out of Andy tomorrow. It wouldn't surprise me if Contador put a good performance in again though.

I kept thinking today about how Wiggins would have done?
 Horse 22 Jul 2011
In reply to abr1966:

Great to see Rolland winning the stage today, just reward for the hard shifts he has put in for Voeckler over the last week. Hats off to Voeckler too for a fine effort.
 Chris the Tall 23 Jul 2011
In reply to jonathan shepherd:
> (In reply to Chris the Tall) I'll go for Andy Schleck by 10 seconds.

Evans has twice lost the tour by less than minute, it would be cruel if he makes it three.

Then again, he is an aussie
 ClimberEd 23 Jul 2011

sorry, don't want a 'diesel engine' to win TDF. He may work hard but he isn't dynamic, it's like watching sludge going uphill.........
 Theho 23 Jul 2011
Heading into Paris tomorrow for the last day. Any recommendations on where I should park my camper to get easy train access to the centre and maybe a nice ride in the morning?
 thermal_t 23 Jul 2011
In reply to abr1966:
> (In reply to Chris the Tall) I have thought Evans all the way through and reckon he'll take 2 - 3 mins out of Andy tomorrow. It wouldn't surprise me if Contador put a good performance in again though.
>
> I kept thinking today about how Wiggins would have done?

I've been thinking this about Wiggins as well, to be honest nobody has had the acceleration that usually kicks Wiggins out the back of the leaders, and with his TT speed I think he would have done well this year. What are his plans for next year, is he going back to track because of the olympics?
 abr1966 23 Jul 2011
In reply to thermal_t: Not sure what he'll do...he's always been a great track cyclist but I think the 4k pursuit isn't in the olympics this time!

TT underway....Andy Schleck just off in yellow! Tony Martin in no 1 slot so far and looks an unbeatable time!
In reply to abr1966:

Excellent time trial come on Evans
 Yanis Nayu 23 Jul 2011
In reply to Christheclimber: Noooooo!
 abr1966 23 Jul 2011
In reply to Christheclimber: Awesome TT by Evans!!! Really pleased for him; he's clean, works hard, suffers and has been so close on a number of occasions...

....we just need Cav to finish it off tomorrow now..!
 elsewhere 23 Jul 2011
I wanted Andy Schleck in yellow, but Evans is a worthy winner - his tactics over the full tour have been superb.

In reply to elsewhere:

Evans rode well all the way through, deserved winner.
 johnwright 23 Jul 2011
Have you noticed the Schleks have done nothing all the way through until they got to the big alpine stages, they have let Cancellara do all the donkey work, what a waste of a massive talent to tow those 2 w***ers until they get to the glory stages. I wonder if they have got one of Cancellara's electric motors for the big alpine stages.
It was great watching the Schleks get what they deserved today.
Tommy Voc has been awesome, I have never seen a rider who never says die, he rode himself into the ground on the Galibier, what a fighter.
In reply to johnwright:

Ruddy hell! I picked the podium places correctly, now we just need Cav ti secure green.

ALC
 Mooncat 23 Jul 2011
In reply to johnwright:

Spot on, amazed to hear their rant about the downhill bits, I wonder if there'll be a conspiracy on the route next year that includes flat and downhill bits as well.
 johnwright 24 Jul 2011
I have been surprised that some of the teams are very weak, for instance BMC, Cadel Evans has had very little help from his team mates on the alpine stages,all the main protaganists sat and watched Andy Schlek ride away from them on stage 18 and then sat on Evans, surely someone has worked it out what the schleks are about, yes they are trying to win, but they are not contributing to the race. They a doing only enough to win. It's not enough to be a great climber,you have to be a bit of an all rounder, the TT shows that, the tour in the past has shown that. So there inability to time trail at the highest level will make it difficult for them to win the big tours. You will have noticed that the Schlek's have done very little racing upto the TDF, where as others have done the Giro and the Dauphine.
Here hoping for Cavendish to win the final stage and take the green jersey, come on Cav.
 bluebealach 24 Jul 2011
In reply to johnwright: Andy Schleck did the 'Tour of California' as his preparation. He came 8th on that.............Doah!!! )

Cavendish to be in green tonight and another stage win on the C-E and agreed Evans is a very worthy winner.
 MikeTS 24 Jul 2011
In reply to johnwright:
I agree that Cadel was following up the hills, he but had to do it all on his own. Whereas the Schlecks has strong team support.
What I wonder was whether the Leopards suffered from having 2 leaders. If they had used one Scleck to burn out Evans, and let the Schleck to win?
 Swirly 24 Jul 2011
In reply to johnwright:
> You will have noticed that the Schlek's have done very little racing upto the TDF, where as others have done the Giro and the Dauphine.

Er out of the main GC contenders only Bertie rode the Giro. The Sclecks rode the tour de Suisse instead of the Dauphiné as they were also committed to the tour of Luxembourg. After the Giro Contador didn't start training until during the tour de Suisse as the Giro was so hard.

Sayon 24 Jul 2011
In reply to Christheclimber: Well done Cav!!
 johnwright 24 Jul 2011
In reply to Swirly:
> (In reply to johnwright)
> [...]
>
>
> Er out of the main GC contenders only Bertie rode the Giro. The Sclecks rode the tour de Suisse instead of the Dauphiné as they were also committed to the tour of Luxembourg.

I'll hold my hands up ,piss poor research. I didn't watch the tour of suisse, and the tour of Luxembourg, how long did that take, 1/2 a day maybe lol.
I still stand by my post saying they only raced on the alpine stages. Shame Cancellara had to tow them all over France, he's worth more than that.
Well done Cadel Evans, great ride.
Very well done Cav.
Can't wait until next year
In reply to johnwright:

bit of a dull finish compared to the last 2 Champs stages.
Removed User 24 Jul 2011
In reply to johnwright:

Yep, I'm very glad neither of them took the yellow today, the pair of moaning faced disingenuous wankers. Gary Imlach was entertainingly scathing about them after their whinging about the descents.

Tommy V is a feckin hero. Very sad he didn't make the podium. I hope it gives him the self-belief that with not much more oomph he could win the tour next year. His name is now firmly one for the big boys to fear. I expect great thing from Rolland in the coming years too.

All told this has been a brilliant Tour.
 Toby_W 24 Jul 2011

I've enjoyed Thomas and Swift from Sky, just having the best time, riding amazingly and I can imagine them ringing friends each night and saying "you won't believe this, I'm riding the TDF!!"

I've never really warmed to Evans but he so deserved to win and I've cheered him all the way fully expecting Frandy to win so I'm delighted. Great to see Cav make it three as well on the CE and get green.

Cheers

Toby
 awsomal 24 Jul 2011
In reply to johnwright: What has Evans done?? He's sat behind the whole way and won the tour on a time trial!!He (Evans) has not attacked once.
The hero and the best rider of the tour has been Vockler by far brave and not afraid to have a go.. Why not next year just have a time trial to determine the tour!! Evans will not be remembered in the future as a great tour winner just a boring one!!
Al.
 Mooncat 24 Jul 2011
In reply to awsomal:

Great post big brains.
 Chris the Tall 24 Jul 2011
Great win for Cav today, getting both the stage and the green, but it does seem like the rest of the field just gave up and accepted their fate. Ok apart from the 5 men in the break. But the finish was just a sprint for second place, and where was Rojas ?

Not knocking Cav, it's a measure of his brilliance. How many other Brits are so utterly dominant in their field ?

Will be interesting to see how he does in the world champs - course should suit him, but he probably won't have anything like the team support
 Toby_W 24 Jul 2011
In reply to awsomal:

Seriously?
Why not just have a hill climb or a flat sprint. This will be remembered as one of the most exciting tours ever. If you doubt me just check the Forums

Were you watching a different tour?

I do agree about Vockler though.

Cheers

Toby
 Toby_W 24 Jul 2011
In reply to Chris the Tall: Chrissie Wellington.

Cheers

Toby
In reply to awsomal:
> (In reply to johnwright) What has Evans done??

Where to start?
- He won a stage (might have been in the first week, but shouldn't be forgotten).
- He marked everyone he needed to, not just in the high mountains, but in the intermediate 'hilly' stages, and every other stage.
- He was the only one willing chase Schleck up the Galibier when he could see the gap was getting too big to be manageable.
- He saved his legs on the Alp Duez stage for the time trial by not needlessly chasing Contador.
- He took risks on descents to gain time on his rivals whom he knew weren't so good at descending.
- He rode a great time trial.
- He has suffered many years in the past and 'paid his dues', and has most certainly earnt his right to be one of the most deserving Tour winners I have ever seen.

>He's sat behind the whole way and won the tour on a time trial!!He (Evans) has not attacked once.

Watch the highlights from the Alp Duez stage and the stage where he gained time on the descent in the (apologies, can't remember which that was) and you'll be proved wrong.

He hasn't attacked much, but he didn't need to. He rode the tour intelligently, made use of his years of experience and rode to his strengths, not those of his rivals. He's not one of the best climbers and never will be, and he would have lost the tour if he'd tried to ride like one.

> The hero and the best rider of the tour has been Vockler by far brave and not afraid to have a go.. Why not next year just have a time trial to determine the tour!! Evans will not be remembered in the future as a great tour winner just a boring one!!
> Al.

Voeckler is a great hero, but there have been so many this year. It really has been one of the best Tours I've ever seen.
You're right; Evans' won't be remembered for winning it in exciting style, but he won it in damn good style!
 Escher 24 Jul 2011
In reply to Byronius Maximus: Spot on, couldn't agree more. The tour is all about courage and determination (unless drugs are involved) and Cadel very much deserved his victory because he had courage and determination in spades this year. He might not be the best climber but he put his all into this tour and deservedly won. He might not be a typical 'star' but his courage was something to behold. Well done Evans, it was a sight to see. It's a shame that that passed some people by. Vockler also showed tremendous courage (as did others (Hoogerland, Voight and so many many)) that's why this tour was such a spectacle. Can't wait for next year. Hope Wiggins is fit, but Thomas is one to watch too.
In reply to Escher:
> (In reply to Byronius Maximus) Hope Wiggins is fit, but Thomas is one to watch too.

Yes indeed...I am very tempted to place a bet on Thomas getting a podium spot by 2018 (or something like that)! To my mind, British cycling hasn't looked in such a good state for as long as I have been following the sport.

I really hope Wiggins concentrates on the Tour next year rather than the Olympics, though I could understand if he wanted to do well in the Olympics with it being in London and everything.
 Chris the Tall 24 Jul 2011
It would have been interesting had wiggins made it into the third week. Given he is even better at the TT than Evans, Evans might have been forced to attack a bit more.

Oh well, we'll never know
 kevin stephens 25 Jul 2011

Find out next year, somehow i doubt Wiggins will bother with the 2012 Olympics
 Monk 25 Jul 2011
In reply to awsomal:
> Why not next year just have a time trial to determine the tour!!

I don't know if you have ever watched the tour before, but the time trial is often decisive. The tour is about more than just the mountains.
 Ramblin dave 25 Jul 2011
In reply to Monk:
Hmmm. You can't take anything away from Evans - not getting beaten in the mountains and then winning it on the time trial is hardly an easy way out. And the time trials probably make the race more interesting than it would be if the yellow jersey was just a climbing competition.

But having said that, would you agree that it would have been more interesting to watch if the order of the time trial and the final big alpine stages had been reversed - so that rather than restricting himself to probably-acceptable-losses in the mountains and then winning it on the time trial, Evans had gone into the mountains with a lead to defend and the Schelcks with a clear target to attack and there had actually been a point on a road stage where Andy had realized he had nothing more to give and couldn't make up the time?

I always find time trials are a bit of a black-box to watch - people go round the course looking fairly similar, you get split times, one of them is fastest. It's obviously an amazing effort and an important part of the race, but for my money it's not as exciting a climax as a road stage...
 Toby_W 25 Jul 2011
In reply to Ramblin dave: Really interesting point but I think it would just switch the order round, either works. One way you have the hill climbers trying to get back time/chasing the other the TT guy chases it back.

Lots of speculation that this has been a very clean tour based on the times (up the big hills) and closeness of the racing. See the riders properly bolloxed at the mtn top finishes as well.

I think the next thing they need to look at is the polka dot jersey as to me it's been a non event this year.

Cheers

Toby
 Monk 25 Jul 2011
In reply to Toby_W:

When I was a kid, I always thought the polka dot jersey competition was very exciting (perhaps because a Brit often wore it, and british riders were rare in those days). Then for ages Virenque always seemed to win it. Maybe I'm misremembering things and nothing has changed or maybe less emphasis is put on it now? I'm not sure what you could do to make it more exciting - mountain stages are always exciting anyway, and the main GC riders will usually be up there on the biggest mountains taking many of the points but thinking of yellow.
 Chris the Tall 25 Jul 2011
In reply to Toby_W:

> I think the next thing they need to look at is the polka dot jersey as to me it's been a non event this year.

Very odd that Andy Schleck didn't even try to pick up any points on Alpe d'Huez - if he'd been at the front of the group rather than the back he'd have won the jersey. But I guess he was a bit tired

I do think that Sammy Sanchez was a worthy winner though, he seemed to be there or therabouts at the end of most stages. Not sure how they could change the rules much, they already award double points for a mountain finish. Maybe they should deduct points for anyone not finishing within a tight time limit.

I was suprised to see how much the most aggressive rider gets - 20 grand, not far behind the 25 grand for the green and polka dot. Increasing the prize money for those (cf 450 for the yellow) might re-invigorate things

Toby_W 25 Jul 2011

Agree Sanchez a very worthy winner.

Cheers

Toby
 Mr Fuller 25 Jul 2011
In reply to Chris the Tall: I was really pleased that Sammy Sanchez won the polka dot. He's a fighter and was never afraid to attack. If there was award for best descender he'd be a contender for that too.

I think they will redo the polka-dot. Not sure how though. The green jersey was more interesting this year, with the intermediate sprints being hotly contested (mostly). The organisers got that one right, and maybe they can do the same with the King of the Mountains.

The winner's prize money gets shared between the team.

ALC
 Chris the Tall 25 Jul 2011
I think that convention applies to all prize money won

The riders on HTC probably did more to earn their share of the pot than those on BMC !
 Jon Greengrass 25 Jul 2011

> I always find time trials are a bit of a black-box to watch - people go round the course looking fairly similar, you get split times, one of them is fastest.

Evans did some sweet jumps
 Enty 25 Jul 2011
In reply to Monk:

I agree - Virenque used to go on lone breaks, bag all the Cat 2, 3 and 4 climb points and make sure he had enough to win the KOM.

This is what riders were trying to do this year - but when they grab lots of Cat 2 and cat 3 climbs then go out the back on the first HC climb the competition becomes a farce.

We now have the technology to time individual climbers up the climbs. (When I did the Marmotte a couple of years ago my split times for the major climbs were all avaialble to me online a couple of days later)
So give the polkodot jersey to the rider with the lowest time for all his climbs added together - just like the yellow jersey is given to the rider with the lowest overall time.

E
 Enty 25 Jul 2011
In reply to Enty:

Just to add:

When Virenque won on the Ventoux in 2002, Armstrong took minutes out of him on the climb without catching him - it was just the fact that he had enough time at the bottom of the hill to stay away.

Federico Bahamontes won the KOM 6 times and Virenque won it 7 times but who was the best climber?

E
 Ramblin dave 25 Jul 2011
In reply to Toby_W:
> (In reply to Ramblin dave) Really interesting point but I think it would just switch the order round, either works. One way you have the hill climbers trying to get back time/chasing the other the TT guy chases it back.

I'm not saying the result would necessarily be any different. But I think it's more exciting for the 'final throw of the dice' to come on a normal stage than in a time trial. Because when someone can't follow their rival's attack coming up to a hilltop finish, or alternatively they keep trying and just can't drop their rival, it's there happening to both of them in real time, whereas on a TT you just see them both going round as fast as they can and then see who's getting the best split times.

> I think the next thing they need to look at is the polka dot jersey as to me it's been a non event this year.

Although it's partly been a non-event because the GC and the points classification have been so tight and exciting...
 ClimberEd 25 Jul 2011
> (In reply to Toby_W)
> [...]
>
> I'm not saying the result would necessarily be any different. But I think it's more exciting for the 'final throw of the dice' to come on a normal stage than in a time trial. Because when someone can't follow their rival's attack coming up to a hilltop finish, or alternatively they keep trying and just can't drop their rival, it's there happening to both of them in real time, whereas on a TT you just see them both going round as fast as they can and then see who's getting the best split times.
>
> [...]

Agree with that.

Mooncat 25 Jul 2011
In reply to La Shamster:

I'd go a bit further and say it was the best since 89.
 ClimberEd 25 Jul 2011
In reply to La Shamster:

I rather enjoyed watching Lance trounce the Euros.....
In reply to ClimberEd:

I did to start but it became a tad tedious in the end. Although there were some classic moments from his reign such as "the look" and the field traverse after Beloki crashed.

However for me I shall never forget watching Hinault and Lemond finish together on the Alpe and the following year when Roche came back on Delagdo at La Plagne.....I was 17 and that was it I was hooked...thank goodness CH4 was given a budget to show lesser known sports back then and had the foresight to choose the Tour.
 Swirly 25 Jul 2011
In reply to Enty:
> (In reply to Monk)
>
> I agree - Virenque used to go on lone breaks, bag all the Cat 2, 3 and 4 climb points and make sure he had enough to win the KOM.
>
> This is what riders were trying to do this year - but when they grab lots of Cat 2 and cat 3 climbs then go out the back on the first HC climb the competition becomes a farce.
>

If they are going out the back on an HC climb do they deserve to win the prize for best climber? That was exactly why the KM rules where changed this year and as a result it was won by a climber for once. In recent years it had become a bit similar to the green jersey where the best climbers weren't winning it, much like Cav in the last few Tours.
 Enty 25 Jul 2011
In reply to Swirly:

I suppose you're right - Sanchez had the best time for Alpe d' Huez too even though he didn't win.

E
 TimB 25 Jul 2011
In reply to Enty:

At least Sanchez looks like a climber (sorry Charteau).

And talking of spindly cyclists, I really wish Andy schleck would win some more races. His victory celebrations need a lot of practise. Seeing him windmill his stick-thin arms around just reminds me of a daddy-long-legs trapped in a glass.

youtube.com/watch?v=B4phxDzuUM0&
 Swirly 31 Jul 2011
In reply to TimB: Photos for those with withdrawal symptoms:

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2011/07/2011_tour_de_france_part_1.html

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2011/07/2011_tour_de_france_part_2.html

Check out the guy in the blue top in part 2 picture 9...
 Newbuild100 01 Aug 2011
In reply to Swirly: Yea, that guy is worrying.

Dunno why, but I found the pics quite emotional.
Stunning tho.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...