UKC

Ten Top Tips for Buying Rock Shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 29 Jun 2011
Standing on tiny holds in a new pair of rock shoes, 4 kbIn this article we look at tips and hints for buying rock shoes / rock boots. The tips and advice are aimed primarily at beginners, but some are also useful for experienced climbers.

The article also contains links to our UKC rock shoe reviews and gives information on where to buy rock shoes and how to size rock shoes.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=3844

Adam Perrett 29 Jun 2011
In reply to UKC Articles:

Nice article. Can I add:

...and when you have paid good money for sticky rubber shoes that fit your feet properly, don't walk about the crag all day with them on. They will get dirty and they won't stick properly.

When you finish climbing, stand on a rock, or use a car floor mat or square of old carpet, and put your trainers back on.
 hexcentric 30 Jun 2011

This is a really sensible and well written article. Thank you.
 Chris Morrish 01 Jul 2011
In reply to UKC Articles: Nice article. Don't agree about getting your feet measured for fitting rock shoes. The only way is to try lots on.
 The Pylon King 01 Jul 2011

> Extra tip: Beware the young hot shot climbing shop assistant who advises you to go for really small shoes - they think everyone wants to be a rockstar, but actually comfort is key.

Couldn't agree more, thats exactly what happened to me when i started out - just get something that is comfortable - my very first pair of boots were some big scarpas ( had the high ankle bit like old EBs) and i was climbing up to E1 in those. I was then advised to get Anasazi lace ups, which crippled me (literally) and made climbing horrible.
 Max factor 01 Jul 2011
In reply to Pylon King:
> (In reply to UKC Articles)
>
> [...]
>
. I was then advised to get Anasazi lace ups, which crippled me (literally) and made climbing horrible.

Ditto, that w**ker at snow and rock. no one has caused me as much pain!
 stratfol 04 Aug 2011
In reply to Chris Morrish:

Getting your feet measured for rock shoes is in fact for the assistant, so they can get a sense of the shape/volume of your foot in order to recommend a shoe. The size (length) of your foot does not affect in any way the size shoe you might end up with.

The author wrote about sizes varying from brand to brand and model to model, but I might add that they also vary batch to batch. I'm now on my fifth pair of Anasazi VCR's, and I've bought sizes 8 through 9.5, all of which are exactly the same size. A good reason not to buy online, even if you want to replace your current shoe.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...