UKC

NEW ARTICLE: How to pass a knot on an abseil

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 04 Jul 2011
Self Rescue for Climbers - Passing the Knot on an Abseil, 4 kbAs part of his UKC video series, Steve Long shows us how to pass a knot on an abseil.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=3877
 GrahamD 04 Jul 2011
In reply to UKC Articles:

This misses the obvious advice of trying to arrange the change over at a point where you can stand up. Something like American Beauty on Lundy is a classic example of where you can make life easy or make it hard.
 Enty 04 Jul 2011
In reply to GrahamD:

Maybe they thought the title "How to pass a knot on an abseil where there isn't anywhere comfortable to stand or the knot isn't next to a ledge or the rock is overhanging or the abseil is into free space" was too long or then again they probably assumed everyone knew that anyway - like I did

E
 JLS 04 Jul 2011
In reply to UKC Articles:

This article isn't complete without a link to the video of the guy getting it wrong at Malham!
 GrahamD 04 Jul 2011
In reply to Enty:

Well done - have a smartie ! however its a an article for beginners and assuming knowledge on their behalf sort of defeats the object of the article.
 jon 04 Jul 2011
In reply to GrahamD:
> (In reply to Enty)
>
> Well done - have a smartie ! however its a an article for beginners and assuming knowledge on their behalf sort of defeats the object of the article.

God help a beginner who has to do that. Can't really think when I've had to do it in anger. Or escape the system. Or crevasse rescue. Or most of the tricks I've spent years teaching people how to do.

Enty 04 Jul 2011
In reply to GrahamD:

I was a beginner once and all those things were pretty obvious I'm afraid - Do I get a full packet of smarties for that

E
 GrahamD 04 Jul 2011
In reply to Enty:

> Do I get a full packet of smarties for that

The answer to that should be obvious

Anyway, the bit about changing over on ledges clearly isn't obvious to everyone because I've seen people on American Beauty doing it the hard way.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...