UKC

who keeps a blog?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tall Clare 05 Jul 2011
Who amongst the UKCerati keeps a blog? What's it about?
 Alex@home 05 Jul 2011
In reply to Tall Clare:

people who can't interpret the glazed expression on others faces when they start talking
 sutty 05 Jul 2011
In reply to Tall Clare:

Several you probably already know like Doug G and the Alford pedaller. Links to others on their sites.

Some on twitter you probably know, had a quick look at yours a couple of weeks back and there is JayH knitting one as well as her other one.
 TobyA 05 Jul 2011
In reply to Tall Clare: "I keep" one although over the last six months that hasn't been quite the same as "regularly update"...
 Milesy 05 Jul 2011
I do. It is more of a photo diary of my outdoorsy stuff.
 Microwired22 05 Jul 2011
In reply to Tall Clare: I do! Although, i go through periods of not updating it. Need to fix that...
OP Tall Clare 05 Jul 2011
In reply to CragRat_Trad:

what's it about?
Mr_Yeti 05 Jul 2011
In reply to Tall Clare:

I keep a dog... does that count?
OP Tall Clare 05 Jul 2011
In reply to Mr_Yeti:

Alas, no.
 Microwired22 05 Jul 2011
In reply to Tall Clare: Climbs i've done, gear reviews (might help people interested in buying a certain bit of kit), training tips (things i've found that help me that might help others). The usual, not sure anybody reads it in all honesty, but it's there-keeps me occupied after a climbing day!
 J0 05 Jul 2011
In reply to Tall Clare:

I do (as well you know she said in an Eddie Izzard voice). It does exactly what it says on the tin.

I'm liking 'UKCerati' by the way.

Lucy Wallace 05 Jul 2011
In reply to Tall Clare:
Me too... Its about work, play and geeky wildlife stuff. Often walking and climbing on Arran, but not entirely.
 Escher 05 Jul 2011
I have a couple. My personal arty stuff and one for kids, with tutorials to encourage them to make their own creative things.
 AlisonSmiles 05 Jul 2011
In reply to Tall Clare:

I have a cycling related one, exploits of a bad tempered, intolerant middle aged woman commuting on the bike during the week and falling off her MTB at weekends.
 AlisonSmiles 05 Jul 2011
In reply to Tall Clare:

Oh, and another I occasionally post on which is the miserable watching my husband slowly die over 9 months one ... I tend to leave it alone mostly now.
 Yanis Nayu 05 Jul 2011
In reply to Alex@home:
> (In reply to Tall Clare)
>
> people who can't interpret the glazed expression on others faces when they start talking

Quality.
In reply to Tall Clare: I keep a blog...for bumblies only

http://nicklivesey.wordpress.com/
 blondel 06 Jul 2011
In reply to Tall Clare:

I keep one. It's an real-time autobiography, against the (unlikely) day when I accidentally do something that makes people interested in what I might have to say. I have to write it now, because by the time anyone might ask me to write it, I'll have long forgotten anything I ever did.
 sutty 06 Jul 2011
In reply to blondel:

You were up early doing your blog.
Thanks for the mention of sticky notes for Win 7, may save me a lot of hunting for post its and notebooks.
 Tony the Blade 06 Jul 2011
In reply to Tall Clare:

I keep one for my outdoor swims http://www.46in12.blogspot.com/

Although I need to update it, I'm about five swims behind
 ChrisHolloway1 06 Jul 2011
In reply to Tall Clare: I do
 Cú Chullain 06 Jul 2011
Nope, 95% of blogs make for painful reading.

After too many 'near misses' I purchased a small helmet cam so I can film my cycle commute to work. I have since managed to collect a fine library of assorted muppet behaviour by both motorists and cyclists alike and I am very tempted to load some of these examples onto some kind of videio diary.
 blondel 06 Jul 2011
In reply to sutty:

Be careful of the sticky notes, they'll take over your life!
 Wingnut 06 Jul 2011
In reply to Tall Clare:
I did for a couple of years (http://blog.rockfax.com/love-and-hate) but stopped when Rockfax stopped doing blogs. I started because I was trying to get into a regular pattern of writing things . . . this worked about as well as wheels on a kipper.
 sutty 06 Jul 2011
In reply to Wingnut:

Hmmm, that's an idea. (goes to freezer to get kipper out, now for the meccano )
 Wingnut 06 Jul 2011
In reply to sutty:
If you get it to work, stick some pics on flickr?
:
 Ramon Marin 06 Jul 2011
In reply to Tall Clare:

I keep one, it's about my climbing exploits
 Ben Briggs 06 Jul 2011
In reply to Tall Clare: I have one, mostly about skiing but climbimg somtimes make it on there.
 Banned User 77 06 Jul 2011
In reply to Tony the Blade:
>
> I keep one for my outdoor swims http://www.46in12.blogspot.com/
>
> Although I need to update it, I'm about five swims behind

My wife's trying to 'wild swim' i.e outdoor swim all the lakes in Snowdonia, some are belly flops across mud but some are nice swims..

http://sarzmountainrun.blogspot.com/search/label/wild%20swim
 Microwired22 06 Jul 2011
In reply to IainRUK: That sounds an awesome thing to do!!
 The New NickB 06 Jul 2011
In reply to Tall Clare:

I keep thinking I would like to, primarily about my running, I would not be too bothered about other people reading it, although if people are interested so much the better, but it would be nice to get in to the discipline of recording thoughts and feelings about training, races, places, kit and people on a regular basis.

Today is a year since I started taking my running seriously, so I am not doing too well in the get on with stakes. I might try and set it up tonight.
 Fraser 06 Jul 2011
In reply to Alex@home:
>
> people who can't interpret the glazed expression on others faces when they start talking

Quality answer!

Zygoticgema 06 Jul 2011
In reply to Alex@home:
>

Hahaha! brilliant!
 rallymania 06 Jul 2011
In reply to Tall Clare:

me, but it's primarily just somewhere to keep my photo's and as a record of the mischief i've been up to.

the only people that normally look at it are the folk i was away with that time so it's not a "true blog" i guess.

OP Tall Clare 06 Jul 2011

For all those cheering the snark about blogs, how many of you put your pictures on Flickr or similar (or on here), and what do you perceive the difference to be between doing that and keeping a blog?

Nobody keeps a 'and then I went to the shops' sort of blog nowadays, do they? The ones I happen across all seem to have a particular subject as their focus, or the blogware is used as a basic website platform.
 Lucy Wallace 06 Jul 2011
In reply to Tall Clare:

I kind of understand why people are snarky about blogs and there is a lot of self important drivel out there. Don't read it if you don't like it. None of my friends/family read my blog, I should think it is deathly dull to them, but blogs have their role.

Other peoples blogs are useful to me to-
Check winter conditions
Read kit reviews
Get information about walks in remote areas

I blog to-
Keep a log of the more interesting things I get up to.
Provide a link from my website to a real person for potential customers.

Anyone who blogs because they think the general public at large will want to read their musings is misguided, or exceptionally interesting (yeah right).
 Ava Adore 06 Jul 2011
In reply to Tall Clare:
>
> For all those cheering the snark about blogs, how many of you put your pictures on Flickr or similar (or on here), and what do you perceive the difference to be between doing that and keeping a blog?
>

Time! It takes moments to flick through someone's pictures - even with captions.
 mlmatt 06 Jul 2011
In reply to Tall Clare:

I "keep" one.

I use it to write up my climbing exploits (however pathetic they might be) and because I like keeping a record of my days out climbing and mountaineering. I don't mind people reading it so hence the blog. I also use it to put my decent photographs up and any videos I make so that I don't have to send my friends to youtube etc. I try and update it each week or after each burst of activity but it doesn't always end up like that, so I sometime review bits of gear on there when I think they are worth promoting.

I know my Dad reads it too, which is nice because my parents don't really talk about climbing much with me.
 mux 06 Jul 2011
In reply to Tall Clare: Two !!

one is about the developments at the dirty little habit that is "White goods" drytooling crag (its a colective one) and the other is just a bit of a drivel about my general climbing/running. Norhing serious and proberbly not entertaining.

...I don't even spell check (good god man how can we take you seriously if you dont use good grammer!!!)
 Bulls Crack 06 Jul 2011
In reply to Alex@home:
>

LOL as they say!
 kathrync 06 Jul 2011
In reply to Tall Clare:
>
> For all those cheering the snark about blogs, how many of you put your pictures on Flickr or similar (or on here), and what do you perceive the difference to be between doing that and keeping a blog?
>

I don't keep a blog and I haven't updated my Flickr in a long long time (can't be arsed with all this messing about with computers!)

I do view Facebook statuses (stati?) and Twitter feeds as microblogs of a sort though...
 snailonvalium 06 Jul 2011
In reply to Tall Clare: I did,now i alternate between the old fashioned using pen and paper to blog my cr@ppy life,and ranting to random people on livejournal when i decide writing is too labourious.
 anonymouse 06 Jul 2011
In reply to Tall Clare:
> Nobody keeps a 'and then I went to the shops' sort of blog nowadays, do they?

Oh. <sad Nobody face>
 seankenny 06 Jul 2011
In reply to Tall Clare:

I do. It includes climbing, but other stuff I'm interested in - bits and bobs of politics, South Asia-stuff, books, journalism, development, cheese.

It might settle down, subject-wise, in the next few months...
Ten years ago I moved to Australia from the UK, to live with my new wife and daughter. To keep in touch with friends and family I stared writing a monthly e-mail. People enjoyed these enough to tell me so, (mainly 'cos I don't half do some f**k-ups and embarrass myself often.)

So I serialised them at a forum I was a member of. They went down well there too. So I started a blog, just as a way of keeping in touch, showing off my average photography, and inflicting my bloody awful music on people.
 The New NickB 07 Jul 2011
In reply to The New NickB:
>
> I keep thinking I would like to, primarily about my running, I would not be too bothered about other people reading it, although if people are interested so much the better, but it would be nice to get in to the discipline of recording thoughts and feelings about training, races, places, kit and people on a regular basis.
>
> Today is a year since I started taking my running seriously, so I am not doing too well in the get on with stakes. I might try and set it up tonight.

Well I have done it.

http://nicksrunningtales.blogspot.com/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...