UKC

nice mountains/routes without glaciers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SonyaD 07 Jul 2011
Can anyone recommend any nice mountains/routes in the Alps up to PD+ that don't involve glaciers. Last year we went up Gran Paradiso normal route, the WSW Ridge of the Lagginhorn, the WSW Ridge of the Gross Biggerhorn followed by the NW ridge of the Balfrin. So this is the sort of thing we're happy doing without a rope.

I'm after similar sort of stuff that we can do solo. We have a van so can travel about, so whether it's in France, Switzerland or Italy isn't too much of an issue.
 JLS 07 Jul 2011
OP SonyaD 07 Jul 2011
In reply to JLS: Thanks, we were going to do a route up to the Weissmies last year but the weather crapped out and we went off to Italy instead.

Just ignore this post folks, had a change of plan (again!)
 deepstar 07 Jul 2011
In reply to Sonya Mc: Mudda Fadda kindly disregard this letter.
marmot hunter 10 Jul 2011
In reply to deepstar:
Dent Parrachee, Haute Maurienne. PD, 3700m summit (easier to acclimatise), rocky ridge, no glaciers, a bit of hard snow near the top.
It's in my guide book: http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=3793
There's also some other good routes there - a ridge simmilar to Torridon (but a 3000m, 4 summit, 5 hours and a cafe!)
Great place to convert from Scotland to Alpine
 LakesWinter 11 Jul 2011
In reply to andyhodges: I thought the summit part on the Dent Parachee was great. It was my first ever alpine route though and there was still a neve slope all the way to the col back then in the mid 1990s, I can't imagine that's still there, though it has been cool ish so far this year.

Also in that region, well, a bit north then the Pt de la Grand Gliere from col de la Vanoise is a good one but you'll need to rope up for the rock on the summit tower and we used a couple of abseils on the way down coz it was icy and snowy.
marmot hunter 11 Jul 2011
In reply to MattG:
No it's all rock from the ridge to Pte Fournache now, a good route though with great views and not too long, about 5 hours up, 3 down. nice to know others have been to the Vanoise, an Alpine secret!
 LakesWinter 11 Jul 2011
In reply to andyhodges: Ah I thought that would be the case, it was snow up the slope to the col Fournache? Then rock to Pte Fournache, then a snow arete to the top. Yeah the Vanoise is great, much better than Chamonix for uncrowded alpinism and the walking is excellent. But then, no-one back home knows what route you did so everyone persists in going to Chamonix and doing the same routes from the same cable cars. How boring!
In reply to MattG:
Exactly - quality is what counts ,not the altitude!
Hence my guidebook to the region!
 Enty 11 Jul 2011
In reply to andyhodges:

Can you email me some info on the Dent Parrache Wiggy?

Cheers

E
 LakesWinter 11 Jul 2011
In reply to Enty: Go to Pralognan too and check out stuff like the grand casse and grand bec too
 sjminfife 11 Jul 2011
In reply to andyhodges: Looks a smashing area, another guide I'll have to get. Thanks for posting.
sjm
In reply to sjminfife:
It is a great place, facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Andy-Hodges-Mountain-Adventures-in-the-Ma...
there's some pics on there to whet your appetite!
Enjoy, might see you there
Andy
In reply to Enty:
Just emailed you some bits Craig
hope to see y'old Guppy there in the summer. I hear you're aid climbing now...ready for Yosemite?
 sjminfife 16 Jul 2011
In reply to andyhodges: Just checking my old posts,thanks for the link, I've got it in Facebook now so I cann't forget.
sjm
marmot hunter 16 Jul 2011
In reply to sjminfife:
Good news, hope the pics inspire you to visit.
Andy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...