UKC

Clip in Pedals

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CGlennie 16 Jul 2011
I realise this is not to do with climbing, however if there are any keen road cyclists out there you maybe able to help me.
I am a relatively new road cyclist and am looking to upgrade from my current pedals with the toe clips attached. I personally find them a little clumsy.
Now I have been trying to find out information on the range of clip on pedals out there.
Can somebody please explaint to me in english what they mean by 'Cleat' what is one?
What are the different types of clip on pedal and which is best?
there are lots of unhelpful user guides on the internet that assume i have a detailed bike vocabulary.
 LastBoyScout 16 Jul 2011
In reply to CGlennie:

Easy - cleat is the bit that screws to the sole of the shoe.

There are 2 basic types of clip-in pedals:

Road pedals tend to be single sided and have large platforms and large plastic cleats for efficient power transfer and long distance comfort. The shoes are rubbish for walking in off the bike.

Mountain bike pedals are double sided and have much smaller metal cleats that recess in the shoe tread, so you can walk in them off the bike. There are also variants with a cage around them for more support and grip when you're not fully clipped in.

Mountain bike pedals are a lot easier to get in and out of than road ones, so if you're not used to them, then that can be a good way to start. Also tend to be a lot cheaper to start off with.

Try http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=3759 or http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5369.

Can also get some hybrid pedals which have a clip one side and normal, flat, pedal the other side, which means you don't have to be clipped in if you're feeling a bit sketchy.
 Graham T 16 Jul 2011
In reply to CGlennie:

Cleat is the piece of plastic/metal that is bolted to the bottom of cycling shoes, this then clips into the pedal.

As for pedals my suggestion would be Look Keo Easy's as they are incredibly easy (as the name suggests) to unclip in a big hurry as you will do at first
 Green Porridge 16 Jul 2011
In reply to CGlennie:

Ok, the main bits of vocab you need to know are the following:

Shoe
Cleat
Pedal

For clip-in pedals (or "clipless", as they are confusingly known), you need special shoes. The reason you need special shoes is because you you need a shoe on which you can mount a cleat. Essentially, the shoe has a stiff sole, with a couple of threaded holes, and the cleat has holes in it which match up with these, so you can screw the cleat on to the shoe.

So what is the cleat? Well, that is normally a plastic or metal shaped plate, which screws on the bottom of the shoes. The point is, this cleat matches with the pedal, and is the bit which clips into the pedal itself. Normally, what you'll do is hook/slide the front of the cleat onto the pedal, press down, and it goes "click". Tht means you're clicked in. To get out, all you have to do is twist your foot sideways, and the pedal releases the cleat (which is screwed on to your shoe).

Any questions?

Tim
OP CGlennie 17 Jul 2011
Thanks Guys,
That all makes a bit more sence to me now. I was thinking of getting the Shimano R540s, what do you reakon to these ones or do you think some mtb ones would be better?
 Ian Broome 17 Jul 2011
In reply to CGlennie: depends how much flost you want and how easy you want them to snap out. Float is a small amount of lateral movement some have more than others and some are more adjustable. For road a larger platfrom with a bigger cleat is prefered as is a stiffer shoe. I think those r540 will see you right. Take time to set the cleat angle, as wrong can mess your knees up. Maybe set them up then do a short ride, ask on riders forums for more specific advice. good luck

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...