UKC

Homemade anti-ball plates?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JBlackout 20 Jul 2011
In a flash of brilliance I realised I could knock some up out of an old motorcycle inner-tube I have. Anything wrong with this idea, and how long do you think they will last?
JB
In reply to JBlackout: depends how much proper ones are vs how long it takes to attach make-shift ones but I know people who use this method too. I've seen gaffer tape used too. All work fine in most conditions.
OP JBlackout 20 Jul 2011
In reply to higherclimbingwales: Can't get proper original plate, as I seem to have the first BD Sabretooths ever made. I reckon I can make some pretty good ones though.
andic 20 Jul 2011
In reply to JBlackout:

I reckon I can make some pretty good ones though.

It will be fine then
 mlmatt 20 Jul 2011
In reply to JBlackout:

I've been using crampons wrapped in ducktape for years, they seem to do just fine and any repairs/replacments are easy to do!
 smithy 20 Jul 2011
In reply to JBlackout:

I like to weld on a piece of steel, and then attach the motor from a mobile phone vibrator to the top side of this to prevent any build up. The whole crampon is the coated in teflon I scraped out of an old frying pan to make it non stick.

I only use this on the left foot though.

Tom W 20 Jul 2011
In reply to JBlackout:

After getting back into winter / alpine climbing, I bought some cheap crampons that don't have anti-balling plates and I used plastic milk bottles, a hole punch and some cable ties... Mine have worked fine over winter and in Chamonix this summer.
 Alan Bates 20 Jul 2011
Previous link, http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=435508 after which I made some from laundry liquid bottle and gaffer tape and they've lasted really well.
 iksander 20 Jul 2011
In reply to Tom W: I cut up the kids' plastic bumslide sledges for anti botts on my dartwins. If they ask, their mum threw them out...
 wilkie14c 20 Jul 2011
In reply to smithy:
how do you get the non-stick teflon to stick on the crampon?

OP I believe gaffa tape is the world standard for bodged up anti-bots
 stonemaster 20 Jul 2011
In reply to JBlackout: Been using extra thick gauge builders plasic bags cut to approximate shape for years. Light and cheap.
 smithy 20 Jul 2011
In reply to blanchie14c:

I use the sticky bit from post it notes.

In reply to smithy: but surely you want the crampon to be full stick, otherwise you'd slide straight off the mountain and may as well not have taken crampons!
 smithy 21 Jul 2011
In reply to Northern Climber:

That's why I only do it to one foot, one for gripping one for slipping.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...