UKC

DESTINATION GUIDE: BMG Route Card: Rochefort Ridge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 21 Jul 2011
[Missing photo!]

British Mountain Guide Owain Jone takes us up the Rochefort Ridge

This is an utterly classic exposed snow ridge requiring good balance and crampon technique

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=3927
 Solaris 22 Jul 2011
In reply to UKC Articles:

A great route, indeed.

Just a slight note of caution since routes change according to conditions and descriptions will obviously vary. The article's author writes of the section around the foresummit: "An obvious steep descent on 50 degree snow leads down to a gap. Either down climb or abseil as there are fixed anchors. Its actually easier on the way back!"

I wouldn't want to spoil anyone's pleasure but when we did it, "the way back up" was easily the most taxing and time-consuming section of the route: the conveniently placed fixed rope was caught round a nubbin half-way up the pitch and reaching it involved some pretty delicate climbing on surprisingly unaccommodating rock covered in powder snow. And if the fixed rope (fortunately, there was one) hadn't eventually succumbed to some hooking? Well, even more sporting pleasure!
 Sheffield Sam 22 Jul 2011
Great articles guys, I am really enjoying these "Route Card" features. Keep up the goad work!!

Sam
 Tyler 25 Aug 2011
In reply to UKC Articles:

We did this last week and would recommend doing it earlier in the year, it was utterly terrifying and the walk up to the Dent was awful; very loose scrambling, much better under decent snow cover I'd imagine. Good route but the grade belies the seriousness.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...