UKC

Severe calf tightness after running - any ideas?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ksjs 23 Jul 2011
I don't run much (rarely) but it was pouring last Monday and I wanted to do something. Went out for 25 min run and as usual had tight calves post-run. I stretched a bit afterwards but calves still tight 3 days later. I put this down to not having used the muscles in this way for ages (think my last run may have been something like Feb this year).

I went out again this evening, ran for just over 20 min. Within a short time of starting I could feel the tightness again. I'm sat down now and if I raise my legs and pull toes towards my knees it's very sore. I'm pretty sure this is more than the type of stiffness etc you get after not having used a muscle / set of muscles for a while; it's hard to be specific about where the tightness is concentrated but if anything it's on the lower half of the calf area (both legs) and towards the outside edge.

Anyone got any suggestions as to what this might be, if anything? Do I just need to run more regularly, stretch more, make sure I have enough salt (it's not a million miles away from a cramp type pain)?

Cheers.
 Mike Nolan 23 Jul 2011
In reply to ksjs: I get the same thing if I don't cycle for a while and then go back into it too 'harshly'. Apparantly, it can be cause by incorrect technique when riding, I'm not sure if the same thing may apply when running?

For me, I try to build back into riding if I've not done anything for a while, keeping it shorter and easier at first and building the distance/time/speed up.
 Kyle Warlow 23 Jul 2011
In reply to ksjs:
Hi mate,

First things first.....Dont panic! I recently started running again and suffered the exact same thing. Feels like your calves are being pulled in two? Cant walk up the stairs without grimacing? The trick is simple. Keep up with the running. It'll go within two weeks if you run regularly and stretch properly afterwards. Try not to leave it too long between runs. As soon as you feel recovered enough to run 5k ( or 20-30mins) get out and do it. I can run 10k pretty quick now with no ache at all afterwards. But it does come back if I run further than Im used to (makes sense really). And another thing iv done, but it may not apply to you, is learnt to run on my toes. I used to run heel-striking but practising running on my toes has helped to strengthen my calves and make my movement much more efficient and fluid. Hope this helps.

Happing running

Kyle
 IceKing 23 Jul 2011
In reply to ksjs: My calves get really bad if I get too dehydrated. If I stretch and drink loads after, it helps a great deal. If I strech but don't get enough fluid in me I get the tight, sore, crampy thing for a few days after. Sounds similar. I make sure I'm really hydrated before and after and don't get it anymore.
notstrongenough 23 Jul 2011
In reply to ksjs: I used to get really tight calves during running and after , I found that increasing my salt intake stopped me ceasing up while running and plenty of stretching after exercise to aid recovery.
Mike
 Toby Dunn 23 Jul 2011
In reply to ksjs:

do a proper warm up / warm down: force a slow pace for your first mile (or set a % of your total distance) and the last mile (or %) then stretch after, and make sure you a) don't bounce into stretches b) hold them each for at least 20 sec, 30 would be better. And echo what others have said about hydration.
ice.solo 24 Jul 2011
In reply to ksjs:

stretch half way thru, when your muscles are warmed up but not in the red yet.
loftustowncrier 24 Jul 2011
In reply to ksjs:

Make sure your running shoes are a good fit and are supporting your feet and ankles properly. I went to get my gait analysed for running and despite thinking I was a neutral runner I was actually pronating on one foot, causing lower leg pain etc. I ran a 5K race yesterday in my new shoes and it's so much better.
OP ksjs 24 Jul 2011
In reply to Kyle Warlow:
> (In reply to ksjs)
> Hi mate,
>
> Feels like your calves are being pulled in two? Cant walk up the stairs without grimacing?

Exactly!

OP ksjs 24 Jul 2011
In reply to Kyle Warlow: Cheers for this, I will persevere for a few weeks as I've really enjoyed my 2 recent runs and the afterglow...
OP ksjs 24 Jul 2011
In reply to IceKing: It's more than just tightness, I really struggled to walk last night! It's almost like someone's injected some sort of resin into your muscles and it's trying to set hard and you're fighting it. Bit better today though after some trad...
OP ksjs 24 Jul 2011
In reply to ksjs: Thanks all, sounds like I need to stick with it and see what happens while also ensuring I'm properly hydrated, salted and stretched.
 Herodotus 14 Sep 2011
In reply to ksjs: I have exactly the same problem and it has stopped me doing any regular running for years.
As soon as the pain would hit I would give up running as a bad idea.
I can do 3 hour bike rides with no ill effects it is only when running that the sore calves hit, and it is that tear your calf in two type pain.
Great to see I'm not the only one and look forward to trying to overcome the problem now I have some suggestions.
 Radioactiveman 14 Sep 2011
In reply to ksjs:

Could be compartment syndrome. I had the trauma induced variety rather than the exercise induced. Lost a fair part of my calf due to loss of bloodflow to tissue.

http://www.physioroom.com/injuries/calf_and_shin/compartment_syndrome_full....
 Mark Harding 14 Sep 2011
In reply to Herodotus:
Yep. I'm another who has benefitted from reading this thread.I've had it so bad I've just had to stop after about a mile and walk home. Cycling on the other hand is no problem.
Thanks all.
 zephr 14 Sep 2011
In reply to ksjs:

When you stretch make sure you are stretching BOTH muscles in the calf. Stretch with a straight leg, AND a bent leg. Its likely that its your soleus (deeper) causing the issues, not the Gastroc (more superficial).
Have a quick look at this http://globaltherapies.blogspot.com/2011/07/calf-stretches.html It might help.

As the other guys said, make sure youre hydrated, don't go at it too heavily or too far at once, also, if youre using old screwed up shoes, they might not be helping you out either.

Also, if you run more frequently, but for less time each time, you will get used to the exercise, and will be able to increase the duration more quickly (as opposed to hurting so much that you start to decrease because of the pain)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...