UKC

What large backpack?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gcandlin 26 Jul 2011
I'm off on a 3 month climbing trip around the USA in September and I need to get a new bag to travel with. I have a large duffle but as I wont have a car for a lot of it I want a decent pack so I can carry the weight around comfortably and also use it for any long hikes into the wilds that I hope to do.

I am looking for suggestions for a pack of about 70litres plus? Anybody had any good experiences?

Cheers

G
 Petarghh 26 Jul 2011
In reply to gcandlin: I've had a Berghaus Expedition 80 pack for about 8 years now and its been fantastic and still going strong !
 radson 26 Jul 2011
I went through a similar conundrum earlier this year.

http://hobyjackson.info/mountaineering/expedition-backpacks-75-litres.

I ended up with the Cilogear 75l
 Slarti B 26 Jul 2011
In reply to gcandlin:

I have just started looking for something similar and have been checking out the Osprey Argon and Aether 70 litres. (They also do 85 and 110 litre versions!). In the shop, the Argon felt really comfortable but not cheap and a bit heavier than Aether. May be worth looking at and I would be interested in comments from anyone who has one of these
ice.solo 27 Jul 2011
In reply to gcandlin:

if you can find one, the millet exped65 is amazing.

65L obviously, but a 'big' 65 as very little is spent on pockets.
the extender throat gives you another 30 or so which makes for a pack big enough to form half a bivvy set up as i know thru experience.

weighs about 1.5kg UNSTRIPPED/HACKED AT, which is amazing. its simply a big tube with a vertical access zip and drow top, with a floating lid and two mesh pockets.
the harness is basic but made for big loads - after nearly 4 years of solid abuse only now are the shoulder straps starting to squish out. i regularly haul 35kg loads in winter and its been adequate for that.

i stripped mine by ditching the lid and cutting off all the straps that went with it and the belt loops (sorry radson).
the axe loops are real ones designed to take mixed tools.

the vertical zip acts like a duffle when you want it to.

im talking this thing has taken incredible abuse, surviving multiple expeditions, porters, crossing china a few times, been dumped out of helicopters and dragged up rockfaces. its even served as a rescue pack and rope bag.

why this pack never gets more attention bewilders me. when people on expeds see it they often get one for themselves - ive even been offered money for my own!

not too expensive either.

cant say enough about it and will definitely get another.
 Andy Mott 27 Jul 2011
In reply to ice.solo:

I just bought one, and although I haven't tried it yet I'm impressed. I have a POD Black Ice and an Osprey Talon 44, and have used many other packs over the years but wanted a larger expedition pack so went looking, and my choices were mainly Crux AK74, POD X-Pod or the Millet Exped 65. The Millet was cheapest and has more features. Hope to give it a whirl shortly, although I won't be able to fill it in normal use!

Adventure Peaks have them at £150, which seems to be a stupendous bargain:
http://www.adventurepeaks.com/product/millet_expedition_65_rucksack

Andy
 mloskot 28 Jul 2011
I have very good experience with Deuter Aircontact Pro 65+15
Got it a year ago from http://www.deutergb.co.uk with really nice discount for BMC card (as far as I can do math, it was much more than 10%).
johnm uk 05 Aug 2011
In reply to gcandlin:

Have an spare original and unsused karrimor 60-100 litre Condor expedition rugsac. This was designed and made in the 1990's with the revolutionary sa7000 backsystem designed by leeds uni. it has proved the best heavy load transfer and breathable rugsac back system i've used. A molded low profile eva "exoskeleton" like waist belt that molds to your body shape and can be remove for travelling and climbing. exceptionally large airspace for ventilation. Made from cordura ks1000 denier treated to be virtually indestructable. fold flat excel side pockets ,double/single compartments, daisy chains and multiple lash points- but hefty at 3.4 kg but good at heavy variable loads.pm for some pics.
 MtnGeekUK 05 Aug 2011
In reply to gcandlin:

I have one of these going for sale if you're interested:

Lowe Alpine Liberty 75+20

Review here:

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/reviews/packs/rucksacks/lowe-alpine-liberty-75...

Looking for about 60 quid including postage - PM me if you want photos etc.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...