UKC

Recommend some good new music please?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 J Brown 29 Jul 2011
I don’t often have time to listen to radio, and as a result it’s been a long time since I heard any new, good, music. Normally when I watch someone, or hear something on TV I think it’s pretty dull. When I was 18 I was buying loads of new music, and while some of it hasn’t dated well, there was loads of good stuff coming out. So, I’m thinking… “there must be plenty of good new music out there”…?

So perhaps the collective musical sensibility and wisdom of UKC could point me in the direction of something…?

For some context, I have pretty conventional (albeit varied) taste. I like, Arcade Fire, Radiohead, Jurassic 5, Edwyn Collins, Devotchka, Chemical Brothers, The Beatles, Wu-Tang Clan, Grandaddy, The Shins, The Clash, PJ Harvey.

So, what should I be listening to?
 Jackwd 29 Jul 2011
In reply to J Brown: James Blake, Animal Collective, Three Trapped Tigers, Battles?
 the sheep 29 Jul 2011
In reply to J Brown:
The Chase and Status album is absolutely fookin AWESOME
In reply to J Brown: Try Caravan Palace for some electroswing. Very different, but once you've got over the initial 'what the...', very good.

T.
 Ramblin dave 29 Jul 2011
In reply to J Brown:
The recent Zomby album is really good if you like bleepy stuff.
 nightmonkeyuk 29 Jul 2011
In reply to J Brown:
Nightmares on Wax - start with Mind Elevation which is one of their best.
Death in vegas - Scorpio Rising.

Some classics maybe like Dark Side of the moon?
Wonko The Sane 29 Jul 2011
In reply to J Brown: A freind told me about an ace band she'd seen at Glstonbury called 'The Wombles'
I'm right into their stuff at the moment, v edgey.
 Blue Straggler 29 Jul 2011
In reply to J Brown:

You'd probably like Anna Calvi. And though it is now 2 years old, the Blue Roses album is superb. Also any of The Kills' albums (but maybe not all four, they are admittedly a bit samey)
 Blue Straggler 29 Jul 2011
In reply to Blue Straggler:

indeed if you were to buy four albums by a band, make that band Electrelane
 thomb 29 Jul 2011
In reply to J Brown:

if you're a fan of radiohead's newer offerings (which are awesome!), try out 'flying lotus'.
 Leo Woodfelder 29 Jul 2011
In reply to J Brown: Another shout for James Blake! Also los albertos are a really good upbeat band!

Bitish version of the beastie boys - Surreal Knowledge

Dr Syntax - awesome UK hiphop - Google Dr Syntax, Hire me - absolutely awesome tune and video
 Ramblin dave 29 Jul 2011
In reply to tomblight:
> (In reply to J Brown)
>
> if you're a fan of radiohead's newer offerings (which are awesome!), try out 'flying lotus'.

Good call. The latest album even has a guest vocal from a certain Mr Yorke...
 WJV0912 29 Jul 2011
In reply to J Brown:

Here's an assortment of what I'm listening to at the moment.

Bonobo - Recurring: youtube.com/watch?v=GfugtAWxooU&
Villagers - The Pact: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr0UXg9qq3Y&ob=av2e
Radical Face - Welcome Home: youtube.com/watch?v=P8a4iiOnzsc&
Fleet Foxes - Mykonos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT-dxG4WWf4&ob=av3e
Thievery Corporation - Lebanese Blonde: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT-dxG4WWf4&ob=av3e
Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros - Home: youtube.com/watch?v=rjFaenf1T-Y&
In reply to leroybrown:
> (In reply to J Brown) Another shout for James Blake!

Can somebody explain James Blake to me please? It seems like music that somebody's stripped all of the interesting bits out of. I don't get it at all.

To the OP: Pete & The Pirates and Metronomy's latest albums are both pretty ace.
 WJV0912 29 Jul 2011
In reply to victim of mathematics:

I don't get it either. What I've heard of James Blake is awful and it's a shame that people far more talented can't get noticed, instead we have to listen to that bloody drone because some moron at the Radio 1 studios likes him.
 Jackwd 29 Jul 2011
In reply to SaulGilsenan: Its very minimalist, its not to everyones taste guaranteed but I really like it. Its a nice to hear a singer/songwriter not sound like a pop singer/songwriter if you understand me. Now don't get me started on Ed Sheeran, what has he done that a thousand other artists i've heard before, i've seen better acts on Lincoln high street and thats saying something. Flying Lotus is a good bet, Cosmogramma is an amazing album. Also try Pretty Lights, pretty interesting and all their music is FREEEEE!
 pirate 02 Aug 2011
In reply to J Brown:

someone already mentioned bonobo which I second.

Also try vampire weekend, yeasayer and pheonix for a nice summer sound. on the hip hop front try zion i, cunninglinguists, median, john robinson, tanya morgan, de la soul if you like the old school stuff.

enjoy
 RyMole 02 Aug 2011
In reply to J Brown:

Paul Kalkbrenner's essential mix for Radio 1, especially the last 40 mins. Get it while you still can:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b012qm56

Ben Thorne 03 Aug 2011
In reply to J Brown:

Try John Martyn. Get One World and Solid Air. Sometimes it's good to go back and immerse yourself in the stuff that made all the current wank possible.

If you can, try and find the footage of him doing Dealer live on the BBC - early electronica on an acoustic guitar with loops. Immense. It's on 'Guitar Heroes at the BBC' on iPlayer at the moment - you've got until Monday 8th to watch it.
 Ben Thorne 03 Aug 2011
In reply to Ben Thorne:

Oh and Roy Harper. Go for 'The Passions Of Great Fortune, Vol 1'. You'll like it. Beats Radiohead/PJ Harvey hands-down.
 Bulls Crack 03 Aug 2011
In reply to Ramblin dave:
> (In reply to J Brown)
> The recent Zomby album is really good if you like bleepy stuff.

I was intrigued by this recommendation

But found out I do not like 'bleepy' music
 MonkeyPuzzle 03 Aug 2011
In reply to J Brown:

I DO like bleepy music and can definitely recommend 'Dedication' by Zomby. I really like Little Dragon too although the latest album hasn't grabbed me quite like Machine Dreams did.
 poeticshambles 03 Aug 2011
In reply to J Brown: Framing Hanley. That is all.
 Bulls Crack 03 Aug 2011
In reply to poeticshambles:
> (In reply to J Brown) Framing Hanley. That is all.

I wonder if they've listened to that popular rock combo the Foo Fighters?
 D_Wills 03 Aug 2011
In reply to J Brown:

Bombay bicycle club and mumford and sons
 Jon Stewart 03 Aug 2011
In reply to J Brown: I wouldn't describe your taste as conventional...that would be either Classic FM or chart music, in my mind.

Here's some stuff I'm into, you may like, you may not. I post up these links at any opportunity, I love this stuff.

youtube.com/watch?v=1ts7fcKSF24&
http://soundcloud.com/fitzroynorth/am-pear
http://soundcloud.com/lowriderscollective/coco-bryce-dis-cam-belie
http://soundcloud.com/flogsta-danshall/rigas-den-andre-tavernas-lament
youtube.com/watch?v=TS5cOQzQNkg&

"We call it skweee".

subseasniper 04 Aug 2011
In reply to J Brown: Wild Beasts, they are awesome. Hated the music when I first heard it but after a few listens I got it.
 flash13 04 Aug 2011
In reply to J Brown: how about cat empire ive only just heard them myself but it is really catchy stuff!
 Dave Ing 04 Aug 2011
In reply to J Brown:
Not necessarily new, but might be new to you and possibly right up your alley would be Regina Spektor, whose use of unusual rhythm and lyrics vaguely reminds me of Kid A:
youtube.com/watch?v=fL7zMQdGxoE&
youtube.com/watch?v=45_Ie8nGuts&
youtube.com/watch?v=wigqKfLWjvM&

Check out Ozomatli, who feature Chali 2na quite often over Latin beats:
youtube.com/watch?v=J-A_1CnjwaI&

And a bit newer but could work in the mix of your existing taste is Bombay Bicycle Club:
youtube.com/watch?v=pUKVdlSK_I4&
 Dave Ing 04 Aug 2011
In reply to flash13:
> (In reply to J Brown) how about cat empire ive only just heard them myself but it is really catchy stuff!
And this.
 hokkyokusei 04 Aug 2011
In reply to Gunboat_Diplomat:
> (In reply to J Brown) A freind told me about an ace band she'd seen at Glstonbury called 'The Wombles'

I saw them at Great Yarmouth in the 70s, good to see them back
 jacobjlloyd 04 Aug 2011
In reply to J Brown: What a good excuse to listen to some good tracks! I'll get right on it....

Some personal favourites that are new enough to fit the bill (and chilled enough for the evening)

Cinematic Orchestra: youtube.com/watch?v=bjjc59FgUpg&

John Mayer: youtube.com/watch?v=uAHeL-W9x9Y& (this is from his live album, called 'Where the Light Is', which is his best work by miles)

The Roots: youtube.com/watch?v=FS88jxG1CJo& (from their newest album, titled 'How I Got Over'

Bon Iver: youtube.com/watch?v=774mOmdKtZM&

Sufjan Stevens: youtube.com/watch?v=4b0fdETmRng&

Noah and the Whale: youtube.com/watch?v=LPKreQ0Y9Sc&

Check out 'Cat Empire' too - seems to be a reliable favourite among a climbers! youtube.com/watch?v=2Vonv8oO6ak&

If i didn't have to make diner, i would carry on for hours...
 Leo Woodfelder 04 Aug 2011
In reply to jacobjlloyd: Good mix of recommendations there! I must admit Cat Empire are a favourite of mine!
 riddle 08 Aug 2011
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

Thanks for that! The album arrived on Saturday and I have played it pretty much every day.
 riddle 08 Aug 2011
In reply to J Brown:

Rammstein, Dark Soho, Lemon Jelly and St Germain are my contributions.
In reply to riddle: You're most welcome. Always happy to introduce others to the less frequented parts of my musical tastes. Others are frequently glad when I stop...

T.
 surfboybert 14 Aug 2011
In reply to J Brown:

Try 'The glitch mob' super psyche music!
 ryan_d 14 Aug 2011
In reply to J Brown: The Aliens (on Linn Records). They've been formed out of the ashes of the Beta Band, but are a lot more psychedelic in sound. Bought it last week and its really good.

RYan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...