UKC

Poor climbing technique on TV

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 aln 30 Jul 2011
So I'm watching this show and there's a climber stranded on top of a peak. Mountain rescue are called, and it's all wrong from there on. First, there's one rescuer acting alone, no team. When he arrives at the foot of a rocky snowy face a rope leading from the stranded climber has appeared, it wasn't there in the first shot. Rescuer ties onto the end of the rope and starts climbing. Then when we see him from above, the rope is actually running freely through a krab on his harness. The holds run out, he then starts climbing the rope, hand over hand. As he nears the top we see that the rope isn't actually anchored, it just kind of disappears into the snow. As the rescuer gets to the top he miraculously becomes detached from the rope and pulls himself over onto the top. It gets worse, there's no explanation for the climber being stranded, and he appears to be uninjured. To top it all off both parties then descend by sliding down the snowy slope at the back of the peak.
This is all bad enough but this was on a programme aimed at children, what kind of message about mountain safety is this sending out to our kids?
TBH I don't even think Charley Bear is a real climber.
 Duke_Haphazard 30 Jul 2011
In reply to aln: I wouldn't say thats poor climbing technique, it's bad editing. Judging from the description they obviously didn't go up in one go.

Though, I don't think you should get too bothered about it, it's not as if the program was about climbing technique...
 JasRY 30 Jul 2011
In reply to aln: Yeah for real climbing we need to look at cliffhanger. (runs and hides)

Just kidding!
 NorthernGrit 30 Jul 2011
In reply to aln:

Well I got it.
OP aln 01 Aug 2011
In reply to NorthernGrit: Thank god for that. I was looking at my thread and watching tumbleweed rolling by as I heard the lonely whistle of the wind.
 Monk 01 Aug 2011
In reply to aln:

Probably helps if you know who Charley Bear is. I have to admit that I quite enjoyed seeing him go rock climbing once. He may not be a climber, but he certainly has a lot of adventures!
 mloskot 01 Aug 2011
In reply to aln:
> So I'm watching this show

I guess it would be a good idea to tell what show is that.
 Blue Straggler 02 Aug 2011
In reply to mloskot:
> (In reply to aln)
> [...]
>
> I guess it would be a good idea to tell what show is that.

There's a very big clue in the OP.
 mloskot 02 Aug 2011
In reply to Blue Straggler: I'm rubbish with clues.
 NorthernGrit 02 Aug 2011
In reply to mloskot: Writing "This was in an animated children's show called Charley bear" probably wouldn't have had quite the same subtlety of humour really.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...