UKC

Midge bite treatment. Please help!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I have been eaten by the midges at Widdop. I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt and my lower arms and legs look like bubble wrap with large red weals. It is the most itchy experience i have ever had.

The bottom line is that calamine lotion is not cutting the mustard.

Any ideas for relief? It's getting hard not to scratch and sleeping is a pain too.
thegreatape 02 Aug 2011
In reply to James Paul Robinson:

Lanocane (sp?). I have a feeling it might be for thrush or something, but in your current state I dare say you won't GAF. Works really well.
thegreatape 02 Aug 2011
In reply to thegreatape: Thanks for that. I will definitely try to get some this afternoon.

God this is so itchy!
 Mr Lopez 02 Aug 2011

Bathtub full of cold water or wet cloths wrapping the parts do the job, for a bit...
 Eagle River 02 Aug 2011

A guy I've been climbing with recently recommends antihistamines for midge bites if you react to them. Standard tesco/boots ones I think.
 kathrync 02 Aug 2011

Antihistamines (standard ones like you would buy for hayfever) will be your best bet to actually stop the reaction that's causing the itchiness and weals.

Lanacone etc will mostly provide topical relief but may be helpful. Also try antihistmine creams.
 kathrync 02 Aug 2011
In reply to kathrync:

Lanacane even...
 ClimberEd 02 Aug 2011
In reply to Eagle River:
> (In reply to James Paul Robinson)
>
> A guy I've been climbing with recently recommends antihistamines for midge bites if you react to them. Standard tesco/boots ones I think.

Seconded.

Always my first port of call.
In reply to Mr Lopez: Works for about 10 mins. Thanks for the suggestion.
In reply to Eagle River: Taken some this morning. Not doing much.....
 Lurking Dave 02 Aug 2011
In reply to James Paul Robinson: http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product173.asp?PageID=52

I didn't believe that it would work. It applies a small series of electric shocks... seriously, it functions better than you can imagine (and no drugs/pharmaceuticals - which is nice).

LD
In reply to kathrync: Off to the chemist to buy some Lanacane cream. Thanks for all the suggestions.
In reply to Lurking Dave: Are you serious? does this actually work?
 LJones14 02 Aug 2011
In reply to James Paul Robinson: I don't know about relief, but Olay 'skin so soft' is the best midge repellent ever. So slap some of that on next time you go there. The Royal Marines use it in Scotland, and i've used it in Scotland...so it must be good
 niallk 02 Aug 2011
In reply to kathrync:
>
> Antihistamines (standard ones like you would buy for hayfever) will be your best bet to actually stop the reaction that's causing the itchiness and weals.

I'm prescribed cetirizine hydrochloride for another issue, but are very successful in dealing with midge bites, pre-emptively and reactively. I think you can buy them over the counter as well at maybe £4-5 for 30, rather than the £6 for 6 Piritin or whatever it is.

soulclimb 02 Aug 2011

I had one that was keeping me awake and I had nothing to relieve it itch... I applied some toothpaste and it worked quite well... lol
In reply to soulclimb:
>
> I had one that was keeping me awake and I had nothing to relieve it itch... I applied some toothpaste and it worked quite well... lol

ONE! Pah, try about 100+ from half an hour. We got there, roped up, and by the time my climbing partner was halfway up the climb we decided it would be best to bail!
 jonny taylor 02 Aug 2011
As well as the recommendation for antihistamine tablets, which I find particularly useful for dealing with the itching in order to get to sleep at night, I find "Eurax HC" cream (crotamiton + hydrocortisone) works quite well

Yeah, the electric shocks are so painful you forget about the midge bites !

ALC
 EeeByGum 02 Aug 2011
In reply to James Paul Robinson: Just buy an anti-histamine (1% active ingredient) and if you are feeling brave, thrush cream (2% active ingredient).
In reply to EeeByGum: I have been and bought some Lanacane cream as advised on this thread. Somehow i resisted the urge to tell the assistant it was for insect bites, and not 'external vaginal and anal itching'.
 mloskot 02 Aug 2011

Assuming you are not allergic or hyper-sensitive to calcium, get a big dose of dissolved calcium as soon as possible.
 Steve John B 02 Aug 2011
In reply to niallk:
> (In reply to kathrync)
> [...]
>
> I'm prescribed cetirizine hydrochloride for another issue, but are very successful in dealing with midge bites, pre-emptively and reactively. I think you can buy them over the counter as well at maybe £4-5 for 30, rather than the £6 for 6 Piritin or whatever it is.

Boots do a generic 'value' one - about £1 for 7. Even better, Morrisons do one which is £1.50 for 14.
 Steve John B 02 Aug 2011
In reply to Lurking Dave:
> (In reply to James Paul Robinson) http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product173.asp?PageID=52
>
> I didn't believe that it would work. It applies a small series of electric shocks... seriously, it functions better than you can imagine (and no drugs/pharmaceuticals - which is nice).
>
> LD

You can also get these at your local chemist or from Boots.
M0nkey 02 Aug 2011

I used to suffer very badly from midge and mosquito bites but i found antihistamines to be the answer. Only problem was that it took a while to get a good loading dose up. My wife (who is a GP) told me just to double up the antihistamines for a bit then go back down to a lower dose. Works a charm.

obviously the usual disclaimers about exceeding the recommended dose apply etc etc.
In reply to ALL: Had double dose of generic anti-histamines and liberal application of Lanacane. Seems to be a lot better now. Thanks for the advice.

p.s. Lanacane bloody stinks!
 amandaleeds 02 Aug 2011
I get eaten alive by midges too - the only immediate relief I have found is Tiger Balm - nothing over the counter has ever worked regardless of cost but my Tiger balm bought for about £1 in Nepal is great (smells bad though!). Combine that with some cheap pharmacy antihistamines to reduce the inflammation and after a few days it should be OK.
In reply to Lurking Dave:

> I didn't believe that it would work. It applies a small series of electric shocks...

From the sounds of the OP, though, I think he's beyond the odd click; 'bubblewrap' sounds like he'd be clicking for days. I guess it might give him something to distract from the itching...
Knitting Norah 02 Aug 2011

Skin so soft is from Avon not Olay. You can buy it via the internet or from an Avon rep (most women will be able to tell you who is your local rep.). Someone did say some of the supermarkets sell it but I'm not sure if that's true. It's very good, you want the spray oil version not the moisturiser lotion. Apply it as soon as you get to the crag.

Lurking Dave 03 Aug 2011
In reply to captain paranoia: That may be true... I use the clicky thing (universal name) as soon as possible after biting, tested over the last 5 years in SE Asia, S America, Aus & NZ against all kinds of nasties.

To be clear it doesn't stop you getting bitten (so not great for communicable diseases) what the small electric shocks seem to do is disable the nerves around the bite hence eliminating the itchy sensation. No itch = no scratching = no evil infected wounds.

Cheers
LD
 NorthernGrit 03 Aug 2011

Own up then, who thought "ah a lovely, warm, still, humid day. Let's go climb at Widdop!"

As above clarityn style antihistamines would be a good first port of call.

Take a couple before you go next time. Or better yet leave Widdop well alone in this sort of Weather.
 Bobling 03 Aug 2011

Ask at Chemists for the 'proper' itch cream, not the cr*p stuff of the shelf. Get something with steroids in it. We started getting this stuff when in Queensland and have never looked back, nothing else cuts the mustard.
 Sweetjesus 03 Aug 2011
In reply to NorthernGrit:

Daft as it sounds I went to Brimham last week and got murdered by the little buggers belaying as my mate spent an hour trying to get up a climb. Hot sweaty and very humid perfect for grit! Doh!

I'm off to get a clicky thing as I now have renal failure from overdosing on antihistamines.
In reply to NorthernGrit:
>
> Own up then, who thought "ah a lovely, warm, still, humid day. Let's go climb at Widdop!"
>
Erm, that would be me. We were at Heptonstall where there were no midges, did a couple of easier warm ups and a couple of HVS's and thought lets go to Widdop for a few routes. Big mistake.

We were only at Widdop for 30 mins at most. Belayed my partner halfway up the first climb before telling him to bail as i wasn't up for being eaten.

pasbury 03 Aug 2011

I've used a witch hazel roll on type stuff for immediate relief and much to my surprise it worked very well.

I only bother with anti-histamines for mozzies and clegs.
 MHutch 03 Aug 2011

The trick to oral antihistamines is to carry a few in your sac and neck them as soon as the little critters are encountered, rather than wait until the bubblewrap effect has started.

Or better still, neck a couple before heading to a Yorkshire crag in August...

Glad you're recovering well.
 MatthewV 03 Aug 2011

i) DEET. Lots of DEET. Keeps the worst of the b**tards away
ii) Hydrocortisone cream for the bites. Really does the business

It's hard to be sure, but anti-histimines seem to work so long as they're taken before the bites have festered overnight - there appears to be a grace period.

I'm prone to being midge-bitten and left untreated get insanely itchy, tumescent pustules. But, whenever I've had a day of being bitten and remembered to take an anti-histimine before bed and for the next couple of days, I've been okay - the bites haven't swollen or gone itchy.

That said, it's impossible to know what the outcome would have been if I had done nothing! But, it seems well-worth a shot for fellow sufferers as own-brands pills only cost around a quid for seven days supply.
 kat86 04 Aug 2011
Blue Chammomile essential oil is really good for stopping the itching and redness and the inflammation. I got mine from this site http://www.aqua-oleum.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=chamomile_blue_5%25_oil

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...