UKC

why are some climbers attention seekers?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ritid 03 Aug 2011
just wondering after spending a bit of time working in a bar in a climbing area in the lakes, and observing the strange attention seeking actions of some people climbing in the area, examples

*walking around with a full rack on in the pub car parks

*unpacking your climbing gear and laying it on the pub bench for no apparent reason. (look at me, i am cool.)

*pulling up in the car, getting out, getting out climbing gear and bringing it with you to the bar.

*i even heard of one guy walking in to a certain bar, from the car with crampons on, after driving into the car park and putting them on.

*After unpacking the rope and sitting for roughly 3 hrs with no out side attention, then picking up the rope carrying it inside and laying on the bar whilst ordering a shandy.

*walking back from the crag with more things dangling from the back pack than actually inside it i.e krabs, shoes helmets "look at me i am way out"

i met a lot of good climbers when i was there, climbers that climbed for personal reasons, and for the love of rock, and a shared beer and story. Am i missing the point or are some of you simply more interested in looking cool (hahaha) rather than enjoying the rock? i have a feeling i will get the usual barage of people moaning about the crappy grades i climb blah blah, but you are sometimes a laughing stock...be aware you are been laughed at by very good climbers (not me) so do your self a favour, leave your gear in the car, stop hanging shiny bits off your sack and have a pint after your climbs and stop craving attention.
 birdie num num 03 Aug 2011
In reply to ritid:
How about abseiling in through the pub window with a rime crusted moustache, oxygen gear and frost bitten fingers, followed by your Sherpa eh? Poser.
 John.RH 03 Aug 2011
In reply to ritid: I dont tend to walk into pubs with my rack out for the lads - but my bag of shineys and my mates is easily worth more than his car. Im sure thats the same story for a lot of other people. So leaving it behind can feel a bit risky.
 Dave 88 03 Aug 2011
In reply to ritid:

There is no way someone swaggered into a pub in crampons! I think you're getting your leg pulled there.

On a similar note, I remember a thread where people were talking about going to see touching the void when it came out at the cinema, and you could tell who the climbers in the audience were, as they'd turned out in down jackets, rucsacks, sig bottles etc. One sentence I remember was "I half expected a fully roped up team to come up the escalator any minute!".
Wonko The Sane 03 Aug 2011
In reply to Dave 88: My ex ( a typical wall climber ) went on about that bloody film for ages. Oooh, dilemma dilemma.

If I'm going to die for a word, my word is Poontang (not climbing ethics)
 UKB Shark 03 Aug 2011
In reply to ritid:

Was it Marc C ?

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=97247&v=1#x1318996

"Ten minutes later, I entered The Shepherd's Rest pub: Chest puffed out, purple helmet held firmly in my hand, imaginary rope slung over my shoulder, I sense the hush as all the eyes in the Bar look at me in awe. At that moment I become suddenly aware of my responsibility - I was representing the Climbing Brotherhood. The barmaid approaches nervously, leans provocatively and revealingly over the bar, then flutters her eyelashes at me. I request a pint and a packet of peanuts. As she bends over to get my nuts, I hit her with the ace knicker-loosener of all chat-up lines: "You know, I'm a climber. I've got fingers like steel claws…(wolfish smile) …all the better to rip your undies off with". She gives me a knowing wink (must have been directed at me, because the only other guy anywhere near me is this muscly Brad Pitt lookalike nerd with a neckchain). Foaming shandy in hand, I sidle over to the jukebox and put 'Lady in Red' on. Looks like quite a night in store. I'm just glad to be doing my bit of PR for Real Climbers everywhere. Like Ben Moon said, 'The power of climbing there's nothing like it'."
 Trangia 03 Aug 2011
In reply to ritid:

If you are a climber then having your keys on a krab is a pose. If you are not a climber it's OK because you don't know any better.
 george mc 03 Aug 2011
In reply to Dave 88:
> (In reply to ritid)
>
> There is no way someone swaggered into a pub in crampons! I think you're getting your leg pulled there.
>
> On a similar note, I remember a thread where people were talking about going to see touching the void when it came out at the cinema, and you could tell who the climbers in the audience were, as they'd turned out in down jackets, rucsacks, sig bottles etc. One sentence I remember was "I half expected a fully roped up team to come up the escalator any minute!".

Nope seen this many years ago in the Clachaig. Two guys, all roped together, fully kitted up came prancing into the bar, both still wearing crampons. Snow level was around 600m...
In reply to Trangia:
> (In reply to ritid)
>
> If you are a climber then having your keys on a krab is a pose. If you are not a climber it's OK because you don't know any better.

Oh.

What about if it isn't a proper climbing krab, but a lightweight one specifically for keys???
 MG 03 Aug 2011
I was on a train once in Chamonix when an testosterone fuelled Amercian got on wearing a full harness and rack and proceeded to talk loudly about the route had/imagined he had climbed to the two women he had in tow.
 Trangia 03 Aug 2011
In reply to Gunboat_Diplomat:

Thats OK. It's climbers who use climbing krabs as key rings who are poseurs
 Ashley 03 Aug 2011
In reply to Trangia:
> (In reply to ritid)
>
> If you are a climber then having your keys on a krab is a pose. If you are not a climber it's OK because you don't know any better.

My keychain is a number 1 hex on about 2 1/2" of cord, is that better or worse?
 Trangia 03 Aug 2011

Another common pose is going for a walk in the Home Counties or similar, or even the hills, with a krab nonchelantly clipped to a strap on the outside of your rucksac. What's that for? There is usually nothing clipped to it, and most things can be stored inside the sac.
 Trangia 03 Aug 2011
In reply to Ashley:
> (In reply to Trangia)
> [...]
>
> My keychain is a number 1 hex on about 2 1/2" of cord, is that better or worse?

What do you think? Be honest with yourself.

ice.solo 03 Aug 2011
In reply to ritid:

real climbers arent back by closing time.
 Offwidth 03 Aug 2011
In reply to shark:

Ah, the memories (I later played the barmaid in a fringe event at Kendal that at least 5 people watched in complete bemusement; I sulked afterwards as a critic told me it wasn't a patch on Gordon Stainforth's Elvis). We certainly miss Mark.
In reply to ice.solo:
> (In reply to ritid)
>
> real climbers arent back by closing time.

I thought the rule was that if you can see the rocks from the pub garden, it counts as climbing?
In reply to Trangia:
> (In reply to Gunboat_Diplomat)
>
> Thats OK. It's climbers who use climbing krabs as key rings who are poseurs

Hold on a moment......with the number of floods we are experiencing these days - imagine stood trying to get your keys into your front door after quaffing a pint of shandy down the pub. Suddenly 'flash flood' I clip myself to the door knocker while you, with your London telephone key ring are swept away in the raging torrent. Makes perfect sense to me!

Ashley 03 Aug 2011
In reply to Trangia:
> (In reply to Ashley)
> [...]
>
> What do you think? Be honest with yourself.

I couldn't give two hoots, it lives in my pocket out of sight and gives me something to play with when I'm bored.
 George Fisher 03 Aug 2011
In reply to ritid:

Slightly off topic now, but it's been mentioned.

Why do people have anything on their keys that isn't, well, keys?

What purpose does it serve? Does it somehow make finding keys easier by looking for something roughly the same size as a key that isn't a key than looking for some actual keys? I have 10 keys on a bunch, that's big enough surly?

It's like always taking 2 cars to the supermarket, parking them next to each other and finding yours by looking for the 'spare' car next to yours then looking left a bit.

I can only think that having the bit of climbing gear, Porsche badge or Gonk is a statement about your coolness/nerdyness in someway.

Bottle openers and lights might be acceptable by virtue of being useful but even then it debatable.
ice.solo 03 Aug 2011
In reply to Gfunk:

from wankers in climbing pubs to keyring psychology ranks as 'slightly' off topic?
In reply to ice.solo:

It was having the climbing gear on the keys that was the link.

Otherwise it would have been 'totally' off topic.

In reply to Gfunk:
> (In reply to ritid)
>
> Slightly off topic now, but it's been mentioned.
>
> Why do people have anything on their keys that isn't, well, keys?
>
> What purpose does it serve? Does it somehow make finding keys easier by looking for something roughly the same size as a key that isn't a key than looking for some actual keys? I have 10 keys on a bunch, that's big enough surly?
>

I was royally told off about this by a girl yesterday. She was giving it me in the neck saying is it really appropriate for me to have a knife etc on my keyring. Admittedly she was a bit miffed at me and had also just thrown an expensive leather coat of mine in the bin....... so it wasn't REALLY the issue, but to answer:

I have a tiny Maglite. Usefull about once every twenty years it's true, but I'm a boy, what can I say.
I have a gerber knife, but in it's defence, it's blue anodised metal and looks lovely! (and the real reason is my site manager background, just got used to carrying one, it's really useful)
I also carry a shockotan, which is a bit of metal. I carry it because it makes my keys easier to find and I've got used to it. I bought it because it was large and I was browsing for throwing knives because I wanted to see if it's as easy as you see on the films (it isn't)
> It's like always taking 2 cars to the supermarket, parking them next to each other and finding yours by looking for the 'spare' car next to yours then looking left a bit.
>
> I can only think that having the bit of climbing gear, Porsche badge or Gonk is a statement about your coolness/nerdyness in someway.
>
> Bottle openers and lights might be acceptable by virtue of being useful but even then it debatable.

Do you have any keys? or just pointless stuff?
ice.solo 03 Aug 2011
In reply to Gfunk:

no complaints at all. its actually a more interesting subject.

more so as we learn GD carries a complete ninja commando survival kit about.

i tie my key to my wallet with a bit of cord.
In reply to ice.solo:
> (In reply to Gfunk)
>
> no complaints at all. its actually a more interesting subject.
>
> more so as we learn GD carries a complete ninja commando survival kit about.
>
> i tie my key to my wallet with a bit of cord.

'My Key'
One measly key???
Perhaps it's a builder thing. when we're not taking the piss out of each other's choice in cars, we're competing for the most intersting piece of shiny kit.
thegreatape 03 Aug 2011
In reply to ice.solo:

Do you have your driving licence in your wallet?
In reply to ritid: Actually this gets me thinking, do you get more infantile the longer your single?
My last GF thought it was a little childish that I have toy remote control helicopters, cars and two mini submarines for the bath. I also have a little shooting range near the TV for an air pistol, which I find bloody theraputic to be honest!
Little toys just tickle me.
 skog 03 Aug 2011
In reply to ritid:
> *walking back from the crag with more things dangling from the back pack than actually inside it i.e krabs, shoes helmets "look at me i am way out"

I sometimes leave a couple of hexes clipped on the outside of my rucksack because I like the jangling noise they make.

It give me the happy shivers.
ice.solo 03 Aug 2011
> (In reply to ice.solo)
> [...]
>
> 'My Key'
> One measly key???
> Perhaps it's a builder thing. when we're not taking the piss out of each other's choice in cars, we're competing for the most intersting piece of shiny kit.

its true. i only have one key - tho it is a digital one that opens all sorts of other things.

i like the shiny kit competition a lot, but working as a guide and other things and having to wear fancy kit for work has dulled it somewhat for me.
i see the attraction to those weekend warriors tho. its like cats bringing in dead birds. better than them flopping thier dicks out i suppose.

my god! has this bought us back on topic?!!??! a parrallel connection, proof of string theory?
In reply to ice.solo:
> [...]
>
>
> its like cats bringing in dead birds. better than them flopping thier dicks out i suppose.
>
>

I've never seen a cat flopping it's dick out. I feel I've missed out!
In reply to ice.solo:

No, just proof that climbers are nerds.
 stonemaster 03 Aug 2011
In reply to Offwidth: Marc C is sorely missed...
 stonemaster 03 Aug 2011
In reply to Trangia:
> krab nonchelantly clipped to a strap on the outside of your rucksac. What's that for?

trying to pull?

LastBoyScout 03 Aug 2011
In reply to ritid:

Saw a guy on Sunday with ice axes strapped to his rucksack...

...in Reading town centre!

Must have been going for a first ascent of the escalators in the Oracle in full summer conditions - extreeeeme, dude :-D
 stonemaster 03 Aug 2011
In reply to Gunboat_Diplomat: <air pistol> 0.177 or 0.22?
ice.solo 03 Aug 2011

well spotted.

this thread has been much more entertaining than i expected.
 LastBoyScout 03 Aug 2011
In reply to Dave 88:

> On a similar note, I remember a thread where people were talking about going to see touching the void when it came out at the cinema, and you could tell who the climbers in the audience were, as they'd turned out in down jackets, rucsacks, sig bottles etc. One sentence I remember was "I half expected a fully roped up team to come up the escalator any minute!".

Reminds me of an Andy Kirkpatrick lecture I went to - and that was in Reading!

Although when I saw TtV, it was in Kendal, so could let them off.
In reply to stonemaster: .177

Though I'm thinking I just don't have the required paper killing power and should change to a gas cartridge powered ball bearing semi automatic, for when I'm REALLY up against it.
 stonemaster 03 Aug 2011
In reply to Gunboat_Diplomat: No need for extra firepower. Accuracy will do the job. Light and easy to recharge/pump up. One recalls Mr Bond was required to upgrade from Beretta to Walther. Now THAT would be something to wear to a pub.
 LastBoyScout 03 Aug 2011
In reply to Trangia:

Acquaintance of mine used to use a Clog 3000kg krab as a keyring, which we all thought might have been a little overkill.

But then he used to go to a lot of dodgy pubs - "No, officer, that's not a weapon, it's a keyring" and just coincidence that he could get his hand through it!
In reply to stonemaster:
> (In reply to Gunboat_Diplomat) No need for extra firepower. Accuracy will do the job. Light and easy to recharge/pump up. One recalls Mr Bond was required to upgrade from Beretta to Walther. Now THAT would be something to wear to a pub.

God I love being a bloke.
 timjones 03 Aug 2011
In reply to Trangia:
>
> Another common pose is going for a walk in the Home Counties or similar, or even the hills, with a krab nonchelantly clipped to a strap on the outside of your rucksac. What's that for? There is usually nothing clipped to it, and most things can be stored inside the sac.

Ever heard of being absent minded and forgetting to remove said krab after your last climbing trip

ice.solo 03 Aug 2011
In reply to stonemaster:
> (In reply to Gunboat_Diplomat) No need for extra firepower. Accuracy will do the job. Light and easy to recharge/pump up. One recalls Mr Bond was required to upgrade from Beretta to Walther. Now THAT would be something to wear to a pub.

funny you mention that.

ive worked in several, shall we say, 'less stable' countries where carrying weapons is not abnormal.

some of these places have pubs, some dont but have their equivalents, and its exactly the same - 'mines bigger than yours', 'ive got more crap dangling off me than you have', 'mines meaner looking' etc. brand has a lot to do with it as do curious modifications. in some places folk spend a lot on getting things inlaid, engraved and painted.

lads will be lads.
 jkarran 03 Aug 2011
In reply to ritid:

> why are some climbers attention seekers?

Because some people are attention seekers.

However most of the behavior you've listed can easily enough be explained without the person involved deliberately seeking attention**. Don't let that spoil your warm glow of superiority though

**anyway, is showing off your climber bling any different to wearing your £300 alpine jacket into the pub or rocking up in your Porsche/Merc/BMW?

Just for fun and an alternative perspective:

> *walking around with a full rack on in the pub car parks
Walking to Shepherds Crag perchance?

> *unpacking your climbing gear and laying it on the pub bench for no apparent reason. (look at me, i am cool.)
Sorting/separating a team's gear after a day out?

> *pulling up in the car, getting out, getting out climbing gear and bringing it with you to the bar.
Concerned about car crime?

> *i even heard of one guy walking in to a certain bar, from the car with crampons on, after driving into the car park and putting them on.
Had previously slipped on ice in the carpark and broken an arm, now takes no chances? (This actually happened to a friend of mine)

> *After unpacking the rope and sitting for roughly 3 hrs with no out side attention, then picking up the rope carrying it inside and laying on the bar whilst ordering a shandy.
Worried about leaving his valuable rope somewhere unattended?

> *walking back from the crag with more things dangling from the back pack than actually inside it i.e krabs, shoes helmets "look at me i am way out"
Disorganised?

jk
 Ramblin dave 03 Aug 2011
In reply to jkarran:

> [...]
> Disorganised?

Or just a small rucksack?

stonemaster 03 Aug 2011
In reply to ice.solo: That sounds far too frightening..
 3 Names 03 Aug 2011
In reply to jkarran:

Your spoiling it.
 Bulls Crack 03 Aug 2011
In reply to ritid:

I've got it.

Are they all members of the CC?
 andyb211 03 Aug 2011
In reply to Gunboat_Diplomat: You talk the talk but can you walk the walk, Animal Mother!
 harryjan 03 Aug 2011
In reply to LastBoyScout:
> (In reply to Dave 88)
>
> [...]
>
> Reminds me of an Andy Kirkpatrick lecture I went to - and that was in Reading!
>
> Although when I saw TtV, it was in Kendal, so could let them off.

Ditto in Tunbridge Wells!
 Amy Kilpin 03 Aug 2011
In reply to ritid: What about dickhead topless climbers wearing beanie hats?!
In reply to andyb211: I LOVE animal mother!
He's bloody good as Casey too, in Chuck.

youtube.com/watch?v=2qF3Ij8HHtc&

stonemaster 03 Aug 2011
In reply to Amy Kilpin: 'topless' to keep their tops chalk free. 'beanie hats' to keep chalk out of their hair. Can't help with the 'dickhead' bit, sorry....
 Amy Kilpin 03 Aug 2011
In reply to stonemaster: Afraid of getting chalk on their tops and in their hair? Gnarly.
 Monk 03 Aug 2011
> (In reply to ritid)
>
> Saw a guy on Sunday with ice axes strapped to his rucksack...
>
>
>
>
>
> ...in Reading town centre!
>

I've done that before - while killing time waiting for my train to take me to the alps... You do get some funny looks, but no one gives you any trouble!
 balmybaldwin 03 Aug 2011
In reply to Amy Kilpin:
> (In reply to ritid) What about dickhead topless climbers wearing beanie hats?!

These aren't climbers, they are boulderers
andic 03 Aug 2011
In reply to ritid: what about getting dressed up in your best down jacket, leggings and boots to go to the RAB sale. I dont know what route everyone else took to get to Alfreton but I drove down in a nice warm car seemed the sensible thing to do. I suppose they were worried they wouldnt get let in if not dressed as Outdoorsmen(/women)
 TheHorroffice 03 Aug 2011
In reply to ritid:
I've had a spare rear mech hanger that serves as a pretty handy beer bottle opener for about 12 years on my key chain. I like that it identifies me with the outdoor DIY beer drinking fraternity, I suppose its about feeling like your a part of a 'club'. I don't think its posing as 99% of people have no idea what it is. I guess the aforementioned people designated as posers are just sending out a similar message and just after a chat!
 jkarran 03 Aug 2011
In reply to Vince McNally:

> Your spoiling it.

Sorry, I'll toe the line from now on

Er... Yeah, what a bunch of poseur w****rs, I bet they only climb like VDiff or something! They just flash their kit about 'cause they think they're hard and it's impressive!!!!!!!! To**ers!

Apologies for spelling and punctuation,
jk
 flash13 03 Aug 2011
In reply to ritid: in the grand scheme of things does any of it actually matter? why people let things bother them that other people do is a mystery to me!
 Skyfall 03 Aug 2011
It's funny but I do the reverse when out and about and try not to do all those things which might otherwise mark me out as a climber. For example, I go with the totally clean outside to rucsac look - no krabs, no ropes, no helmets, no shoes, nada. Makes for a large rucsac but hey. Keyring is firmly that provided by the manufacturer of my current car (ok when I was about 10 I had a ferarri fob). I wash my hands when I leave the wall so you can't see the chalk on my hands.

However, if I'm being honest, I do want to advertise I'm a climber in a subtle way. Which might explain why I gave my Dad one of those silly keyring ktabs from Yosemite, and sometimes suggest to my climbing partner that they put the spare rope over the top of their sac. It saves me looking like a knob but I get some subtle qudos.

There was some amusing stuff about climbers in pubs with dangly jangly things by Muriel Grey in her book about munro magging without a beard.
ice.solo 03 Aug 2011
In reply to jkarran:

yeah man, you didnt even mention keyrings.
Removed User 03 Aug 2011
In reply to ritid:

My experience of this kind of sh1t and more generally UKC posts has long lead me to the conclusion that the majority of climbers are in fact wankers...
 robinsi197 03 Aug 2011
In reply to MG:
> I was on a train once in Chamonix when an testosterone fuelled Amercian got on wearing a full harness and rack and proceeded to talk loudly about the route had/imagined he had climbed to the two women he had in tow.

Did you take the opportunity of sneakily clipping him into some part of the train?

needvert 03 Aug 2011
I have a small 600kg rated kong carabiner on my key ring.
The carabiner is really really handy. I always clip it to the edge of my pocket so it's excessively difficult for my keys to ever accidentally fall out.

As for attention seekers, who cares. Some people like attention, they often provide entertainment. Most people like attention to some degree, else we'd never put photos on display.
 AlisonSmiles 03 Aug 2011
In reply to ritid:

Tree climbers even worse. Heading into college students cafe wearing tree climbing harness. It's not really so hard to take it off and leave it in the classroom or pop it into a handy rucksack! Also damned uncomfortable to sit in for any length of time, particularly if you've left strategic prussiks hanging from it.

Monk 03 Aug 2011
In reply to needvert:

I actually have a real snapgate on my keys - It's an old, retired one I put on a while ago for specific reasons and kind of got used to it. However, I could only be accused of posing to anyone hanging outside my frontdoor or next to my car - the rest of the time it's in my pocket or a bag! It can sometimes be handy but I admit that most of the time it's just extra weight and bulk.
 Gazlynn 03 Aug 2011
In reply to All:

God damn it I received a couple of key rings from DMM a few weeks ago and it has a dragon cam lobe on the key ring.

Am I allowed to put keys on it and use it or is that wrong and attention seeking?

cheers

G
Anonymous 03 Aug 2011
In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to ritid)
>
> My experience of this kind of sh1t and more generally UKC posts has long lead me to the conclusion that the majority of climbers are in fact wankers...

Seriously, it's taken you this long? Judging by some of the very defensive replies I think the OP has touched a nerve with some people.
 simondgee 03 Aug 2011

I use a hex 9 as a keyfob and an old set of morris minor keys now serve well in lieu of handplaced pegs on quarried grit.
parberoo 03 Aug 2011
In reply to ritid:
I clip my shoes and chalk bag to the outside of my 'man-bag' which is also my work bag...
My shoes are big and really need the air and my chalk bag would overly season my various lunch items.
Sometimes it's half posing and half practical surely.
When I ripped the strap of the GFs handbag trying to get it out of the footwell she was delighted that I repaired it with a caribiner.
 Rog Wilko 03 Aug 2011
In reply to ritid: Nearly as bad to have your climbing rope ostentatiously dangling out of each side of your rucsac in my opinion. However, when walking (or staggering) up to a high crag with what looks like an unnecessarily large pack I sometimes feel I need to justify it to a walker carrying a tiny daysac.
 Skyfall 03 Aug 2011
In reply to Rog Wilko:

> (In reply to ritid) Nearly as bad to have your climbing rope ostentatiously dangling out of each side of your rucsac in my opinion. However, when walking (or staggering) up to a high crag with what looks like an unnecessarily large pack I sometimes feel I need to justify it to a walker carrying a tiny daysac.

Yes, hence my comment above about using a large sac to keep it all inside. But you're right in fact, I've even had the odd comment about "you're carrying a lot of gear for a day's walk". Which then leaves me in a real quandry; do I ignore it or do I tell them that I am in fact a heroic climber and my sac is stuffed full of essential equipment. Normally, being an introverted trad climber, I ignore the question and probably come across as an egotistical arse. You can't win sometimes.
Mots d'Invers 03 Aug 2011
In reply to Ashley:
> (In reply to Trangia)
> [...]
>
> I couldn't give two hoots, it lives in my pocket out of sight and gives me something to play with when I'm bored.

I'm amazed nobody's pounced on this! Fnarr fnarr, etc...
 Ramblin dave 03 Aug 2011
In reply to JonC:
Maybe you should consider not climbing at all? I mean, it would be terrible if anyone walked past the crag while you were on it and thought you were showing off...
 Timmd 03 Aug 2011
In reply to needvert:
> I have a small 600kg rated kong carabiner on my key ring.
> The carabiner is really really handy. I always clip it to the edge of my pocket so it's excessively difficult for my keys to ever accidentally fall out.

I have an old retired screw gate D krab for my keyring because I kept losing my keys, and I always know if it's in my pocket from the size and weight of it.

Didn't know I posing. ()
 Skyfall 03 Aug 2011
In reply to Ramblin dave:

Now that you mention it, I do try to avoid crags where members of the public might see me climbing. I once climbed at the busy end of Dovedale and the audience was quite off-putting. More remote crags are fine because we're all climbers together doing our thang
 hexcentric 03 Aug 2011
In reply to ritid:
Climbing is a distopian soup of social malcontents all hoping to find someone to hang with whilst very carefully creating an impression of enigmatic nonchallance.
OP ritid 03 Aug 2011
In reply to flash13: the thing is its hard to clean the bar while some knobber is dangling a 60m single across the pumps...........hard not to take notice too, when it sounds like a heard of cows are coming through the patio area, not just once but back and forth 3-4 times in case nobody noticed.......
 Chris H 03 Aug 2011
In reply to Timmd: I do exactly the same but now I am racked with self doubt! In my caving days we had to go into the pub in wetsuits to get last orders a couple of times but this was a cavers pub and no one took any notice - in fact anyone smartly dressed would have caused consternation!
 Milesy 03 Aug 2011
The same behaviour is seen in all types of people.

Student Drs with stethoscope on display on trains. Footballers carrying their football boots in sight while wearing a bag big enough for them. Readers making sure everyone can see the book they aer carrying etc.

Whatever "tribe" people join they will show other people they are in that tribe. It is ancient behaviour.
In reply to Rog Wilko: I tend to carry my rope separately. a) I like a small pack and b) if I have all the weight on my back my left shoulder aches for days afterwards.

Al
In reply to Milesy:
> The same behaviour is seen in all types of people.
> Whatever "tribe" people join they will show other people they are in that tribe. It is ancient behaviour.

Partly true. Those who feel the need to be in a tribe do as you describe. Many abhor the mere idea of being in anyone's tribe except their own.
 Chris H 03 Aug 2011
In reply to ritid: I once confused a bouncer in the Brixton academy by taking a rope into a concert - I had just come back from Harrisons on the train and was running late.
 Rubbishy 03 Aug 2011
In reply to ritid:

I am always losing my house keys so I elected to use a 22cm BD turbo ice screw as a key ring. I never lose my keys but you only once and once only get in the car with them in your pocket.
 Sir Chasm 03 Aug 2011
In reply to Gunboat_Diplomat: Yes, we're all individuals.
 Tall Clare 03 Aug 2011
In reply to Milesy:

True. I'm off into Leeds on the train later, and I'll be carrying an A3 sketchbook. I thought such things were splendid when I was an affected teenager; now I'm an (affected) thirtysomething, I'm a bit less thrilled.

As for climbing-related anecdotes, I did see someone waiting for the Nevisport cafe to open in Fort William one winter morning a few years ago, and he was wearing his harness. He wasn't roped to any of his friends - he could have *died*.
 victorclimber 03 Aug 2011
In reply to ritid: back in the 60,s it used to be the Duvet worn all the time ..
 Rubbishy 03 Aug 2011
In reply to Tall Clare:

What are you affected with?

I thought the Canestan had sorted all that.
 Tall Clare 03 Aug 2011
In reply to John Rushby:

<glares at Rushby>
 waterbaby 03 Aug 2011
In reply to ritid:

Unfortunately some people just like to pose... they usually just look like arses, why worry.

Rubbishy 03 Aug 2011
In reply to Tall Clare:

>>scratches his hamptons and flicks the hippy the Vs<<
 Michael Ryan 03 Aug 2011
In reply to ritid:

But there again..... starting a thread about attention seeking climbers could be interpreted as attention seeking!
 higher.alpine 03 Aug 2011
In reply to ritid: Reminds me of regularly seeing the participants of a certain crappy Karate club down the pub wearing their uniforms, pint in hand. *facepalm*
 Ee 03 Aug 2011
In reply to ritid: Saw a couple @ my local indoor wall Dynamic Rock near Swansea top ropng with about half a dozen brand spanking new quick draws clipped on their harnesses.....WTF!Equally head scratching was a guy climbing with two ropes leading an easy route but didnt bother to clip in until the 2nd q/draw, and that was because his partner told him to!!
Mind blowing................
Ee
fijibaby 03 Aug 2011
In reply to John Rushby:

Walked into a pub near a station after a days bouldering, with pad strapped to back. Builder leaning against the door says "That's a big laptop mate".
No answer to that!
 Dave 88 03 Aug 2011

Where the hell do you see all these nutters in Reading?! You've strolled too far down the Oxford road mate!
 Rubbishy 03 Aug 2011
In reply to ritid:

Reminds me of fat knackers on expansive Italian bikes with carbon wheels.

I have one of those bronze key rings with a rope, an ice axe and a couple of ice screws on - I should cast it out immediatley.

BTW - anyone remember the silver jewelry that used to be flogged in the back of Climber and Flower Arranger or whatever - you could get a pair of dangly earings which were a Friend 1.5 or actual working screw gate crabs?

and as for those wankers with endless KIMM stickers on their cars.....
 Dave 88 03 Aug 2011
In reply to Mots d'Invers:

I thought he was joking at first then I was too embarrassed to say anything!

I personally have a 60cm sling that I put over my shoulder with a screwgate on. The keys go on there, that way I never lose them. Sometimes I'll just wear my harness though and clip them to a gear loop. Obviously with a screwgate...or two back to front snaps. If I'm going light, just put keys/phone/wallet in my chalk bag and wear that to the shops.

This has been a very amusing thread. Turns out Gunboat cuts about with more kit than Ray Mears, but Ice Solo is the closet James Bond, with his rascal digital key!
 Bob Aitken 03 Aug 2011
In reply to ritid:
15 years ago or so, on top of the Pointe de Mean Martin in the Vanoise, a 3300m top roughly as technically demanding as a summer Mamore, we observed the approach of a young French couple, roped together. Attached to his harness was an assortment of kit including a hefty bong of Stove Leg Crack dimensions. We were in doubt that the attention he was seeking was that of his very decorative ropemate.
 radson 03 Aug 2011
My worst performance was strapping my crampons to the outside of my 30 l pack after a spring walk up of Mt Fuji in May. After a fairly long day, we managed to catch a bus and then took the train back to my wife's family house in Mishima. The train was disturbingly full and standing room only. I spaced out a bit and forgot about the crampons and managed while moving position to ever so slightly jab a japanese business man in the shoulder. He was not impressed.
 Brass Nipples 03 Aug 2011
In reply to Sir Chasm:
> (In reply to Gunboat_Diplomat) Yes, we're all individuals.

I'm not.

Aly 03 Aug 2011
In reply to MG:
> I was on a train once in Chamonix when an testosterone fuelled Amercian got on wearing a full harness and rack and proceeded to talk loudly about the route had/imagined he had climbed to the two women he had in tow.

I must be a poseur of the highest order as I've lost count of the number of times I've piled onto the train at Montenvers wearing a harness, gear and carrying skis. Skis... on a train...!!
 jas wood 03 Aug 2011
In reply to ritid: cannot believe you sussed out MOST of my bird pulling antics but you missed the "i,m a rock climbing double hard b*stard" T-shirt.
redline161 03 Aug 2011
In reply to ritid: Awsome conversation going personally i think :

A. Rock climbing equipment can be very expensive loosing a cam at £50 can be killer annoying lol let alone gettin £1000+ stolen

B. The people who are not 'free spirited' can see it as a imagine thing.. fearless,brave,physicaly fit it can deffinatly be a advantage pulling the ladies

Yea i agree its very sad and laughable but if it gets you a good ride with a hot lady , hell why not.. relieve some tension =D
In reply to ritid: those that boast about soloing E3 (or any other grade for that matter) are about as interesting and cool as leprosy! get a grip man, you're being a dick; not making me revere you!
ice.solo 04 Aug 2011
In reply to ritid:

japans got an inverse attitude to it all. behaviour that would be extraordinarily wankeresque elsewhere is fostered here.

the average weekend warrior leaves home almost totally geared up - for the several hours on the train, bus ride etc - with more gear than is used on a himalayan peak.
and thats no exageration. its not unusual to see whole teams with oly mons and 80L packs and one piece goretex suits getting the bus out to some 2800m peak for the weekend. that probably has a lodge at the bottom of it and one halfway up.

then theres the entire subculture of yama-garu (mountain girls) and their male equivalent. young folk who wear expensive TNF, montbell, patagonia etc as nothing more than a fashion.
the companies all do gear just for the market, producing your favourite stuff in hippy gelato colours and ethnic patterns.
an off shoot is the festival scene - the patagonia crowd that goes to the string of summer rock festivals and raves in full gear.

the climbing media is unusual too. in the same magazine that flogs to the urban alpinist trend setters will be an article by steve house about some nasty minimalist route in alaska or somesuch.

where i climb i often see top japanese alpinists (the guys with piolet dors on their walls) 'training' big groups of weekenders in basic crampon technique and ice axe arrests, to pay for the years expedition of course.
 wilkie14c 04 Aug 2011
In reply to ritid:
I'm mr inquogneato as I can't stand the thought of being identified as a climber and having to answer stupid questions - have you climbed everest? do you want to? you must have strong fingers etc etc
The only things on my keys except keys is one of them stupid 'stars in bars' picture fob things of me being very very drunk and snogging my mate <!> I also have a tesco club card that has only recently appeared and it wasn't my doing...
Wonko The Sane 04 Aug 2011
In reply to blanchie14c:
> (In reply to ritid)
I also have a tesco club card that has only recently appeared and it wasn't my doing...

You know that constitutes grounds for divorce, don't you?
 Mitch1990 04 Aug 2011

"real climbers arent back by closing time."

Amen . . . Its abit annoying though, pub's should stay open longer after dark!

Rog Wilko 04 Aug 2011
In reply to victorclimber:
> (In reply to ritid) back in the 60,s it used to be the Duvet worn all the time ..

Especially at lectures by top climbers, indoors of course where a duvet couldn't be less appropriate. Be awful to be mistaken for an ordinary man-in-the-street on such an occasion, so clearly worth the discomfort.
 butteredfrog 04 Aug 2011
In reply to george mc:
> (In reply to Dave 88)
> [...]
>
> Nope seen this many years ago in the Clachaig. Two guys, all roped together, fully kitted up came prancing into the bar, both still wearing crampons. Snow level was around 600m...

I was there to witness that, although it has probably happened more than once.

Very similar, once watched two blokes walking into the motorbike show at the NEC in full leathers, crash helmets in hand - they arrived in the car next to us.

SCC 04 Aug 2011
In reply to butteredfrog:
> (In reply to george mc)
> [...]
>
> I was there to witness that, although it has probably happened more than once.
>
> Very similar, once watched two blokes walking into the motorbike show at the NEC in full leathers, crash helmets in hand - they arrived in the car next to us.

Did anyone ask either of these pairs why on earth they were kitted out like that?!

I've got back to the car after climbing, still wearing my lid or harness on more than one ocassion. Usually because I forgot I was wearing it, or was in a rush. But that's not exactly attention seeking...

..or maybe it is, on a subconcious level?

Si
Paul F 04 Aug 2011
> (In reply to ritid)
>
> Saw a guy on Sunday with ice axes strapped to his rucksack...

> ...in Reading town centre!

Was he off to Uxbridge Road?

youtube.com/watch?v=9U0tDU37q2M&
 pebbles 04 Aug 2011
In reply to jas wood:
> cannot believe you sussed out MOST of my bird pulling antics but you missed the "i,m a rock climbing double hard b*stard" T-shirt.

oh, if only you knew...muscle marys are so last century, its sensitive stamp collector types that are this years big thing. Its the harry potter effect....if I were you I would put the patagucci away and start carrying poetry books
 Bobling 04 Aug 2011
"patagucci". Nice.
In reply to pebbles:
> (In reply to jas wood)
> [...]
>
> oh, if only you knew...muscle marys are so last century, its sensitive stamp collector types that are this years big thing. Its the harry potter effect....if I were you I would put the patagucci away and start carrying poetry books

You're kidding I'm sure, but my long term ex commented to her friend when we first met that she liked me, but I was a bit too 'blokey' for her. One Tennyson book brought in to work as light reading (we worked in a cafe) did the trick
Honestly.
 jon 04 Aug 2011
In reply to Rog Wilko:
> (In reply to victorclimber)
> [...]
>
> Especially at lectures by top climbers, indoors of course where a duvet couldn't be less appropriate. Be awful to be mistaken for an ordinary man-in-the-street on such an occasion, so clearly worth the discomfort.

At a promotional ski film in the 70s in Solihull Civic Hall, I lost count of the number of people with a pair of gloves clipped to the zip of their ski jackets...

Roger, you're old enough to remember the 'pub MOAC'. Just the right length to adorn the neck, and put on immediately before entering the pub.

pebbles 04 Aug 2011
In reply to Gunboat_Diplomat: lol! I was kidding, but now I think of it theres a grain of truth there - most wommen I know would far rather a bloke with a brain than just lots of muscles
ice.solo 04 Aug 2011
In reply to ritid:

near my place theres a belly dancing club.

some of the girls come and go and hang out in their jingly jangly gear, even going to the super market next door.

im fine with that.
 abr1966 04 Aug 2011
In reply to ritid: I nipped in the ODG a few weeks ago and sat down by the sweet machine, a guy with his rack on the table was next to us spouting about his 'routes'...very irritating!

Oddly enough when I used to live in Lympstone years ago the amount of people wearing royal marines t shirts outnumbered the numbers based there..

In reply to ice.solo: See if you can't get them to get rid of the tassles etc and get them to wear new, bright, cutting edge climbing kit. Two things to ogle for the price of one.
 beardy mike 04 Aug 2011
In reply to jon: For some reason I just got the opening scence of the Blizzard of Aaahs in my head:

youtube.com/watch?v=kJdyPZPcRYU&

"Today, the american ski industry afraid of hugh law suits and burdened by insurance rates that are criminal, doesn't promote believable skihero's, because believable ski hero's, atleast in my opinion are the ones who ski the extreme..."

What an epic opener... I bet he has a fricking enormous carabiner thats anodised purple and gold, and probably carries his K2 Extreme's everywhere he goes...
 Tiberius 04 Aug 2011
In reply to ritid:

Coz the chicks dig attention seekers and you get more sex. In fact I think if you look at the adolescents of many species you'll see exactly the same behavior.

...of course, it might be a bit worrying when the 'adolescent' hit's his 50's
 George Ormerod 04 Aug 2011
In reply to ritid:

Saw some knobber leaving the Westway with his harness on once. He was a sub-species though, as he had army boots and a green bergen too. Probably rushing home to his mum's for tea, and to masterbate over the most recent Andy McNab book.
 Skyfall 04 Aug 2011
Well what about all the climbers wandering around town and/or into pubs wearing climbing branded t-shirts? Paying good money to buy a t shirt to advertise for the company you bought it from....

What's that all about?

[hurriedly hides all his 5-10, Patagucci, TNF, Lost Arrow etc t-shirts...]
In reply to JonC: I have a total fetish for all things Arcteryx. The clohtes look good, work well and the logo is the dog's bollocks.

The only thing stopping me from buying a couple of coats is that I already have coats I haven't got round to wearing yet and even I can't justify that to myself. Unless of course I happpen to LOSE a couple of coats You have to have a back up coat and it should have a dead bird on it!
 Lord_ash2000 04 Aug 2011
In reply to ritid: I've walked into a pub with my chalk bag on before. I'd forgotten and only noticed when the seat was covered in chalk. Probably didn't look that cool though. I've also done it in Tescos
 Rog Wilko 04 Aug 2011
In reply to jon:
> (In reply to Rog Wilko)
> [...]
> >
> Roger, you're old enough to remember the 'pub MOAC'. Just the right length to adorn the neck, and put on immediately before entering the pub.

Well, Jon, in fact, I don't recall that. Here's a list of possible reasons, only one of which I like:
1. My memory has become worse than I feared
2. I'm too old to have seen that and remembered it.
3. I'm younger than you think or I look (unlikely).

But I do remember when my Moac was my solitary piece of gear apart from slings and some nuts stolen from railway tracks.
 Hibachi 04 Aug 2011
In reply to Ee:
> (In reply to ritid) Saw a couple @ my local indoor wall Dynamic Rock near Swansea top ropng with about half a dozen brand spanking new quick draws clipped on their harnesses.....WTF!Equally head scratching was a guy climbing with two ropes leading an easy route but didnt bother to clip in until the 2nd q/draw, and that was because his partner told him to!!
> Mind blowing................
> Ee

I've only seen this happen once but it was so funny! I was staying at a hostel in new zealand and four guys turned up to the wall all with brand new quickdraws on their harnesses. I recognised them from the hostel I was staying at and all went straight for the top-ropes! I was with my girlfriend who had only recently started climbing. She said to me "They'll probably be pretty good then."

I was up for a laugh so I had a watch. Then ended up going over to them and asking if they wouldn't mind letting me have a go on the wall. As one guy spent about 20 mins unable to climb a 4.

Back at the hostel they were boasting about the "Hard days climbing" they had done to some girls. So I turned round and invited the whole group to a local quarry.

They looked quite confused, said no, and I don't think any of them got laid that night.
 anonymouse 04 Aug 2011
In reply to mitchellbowen1990:
> "real climbers arent back by closing time."
> Amen . . . Its abit annoying though, pub's should stay open longer after dark!

Or they should have some kind of catflap arrangement that only opens if you approach with a large hex hung around your neck.
 Graeme Hammond 04 Aug 2011
In reply to ritid:

I once saw a pair of climbers completely rack up at Stanage popular car park, they then got the rope out and for a moment I thought they were going to rope up too but they just walked up with the rope on the outside of their empty bags, quite strange.

I waited ages for my mate to turn up (by which time they had walked in), we walked up, racked up and still did a route quicker!
needvert 05 Aug 2011
Somewhat related:

I used to walk through a fair bit of town after rain to get to a flooded creek or the surf, wearing a life jacket, helmet, spray deck and carrying a kayak and a paddle.
Wearing as much as you can gets the weight off your shoulders! Important when the boat only fits on one shoulder at a time. It would have been embarrassing, if I had stopped to think about it.

I didn't own a car. When travelling I've often wandered around big cities with strange irrelevant to the immediate environment gear strapped to outside of my pack.
 Julian Wedd 05 Aug 2011
In reply to ritid:

"why are some climbers attention seekers?" Perhaps the daftest forum post title I've ever seen.
In reply to julianwedd: What about "Why are some attention seekers climbers?"

Al
Fawksey 2 05 Aug 2011
In reply to ritid: As a youth I wanted to look the part and advertise myself that I belonged. Im back to just being me now and dont even buy outdoor branded clothing for climbing in.

I spend most of my time trying not to look like a climber.

In fact Im not a climber. Im lost.
Nats 05 Aug 2011
In reply to ritid:

I must say I have had a good laugh reading all of the above but why criticise when we don't know the full story behind?
Some people have actually trained at London's Hyde Park for much bigger things like the getting through the Alaska.

If you spot someone in your local park with walking poles and dragging something ridiculous like gigantic boulders or truck tyres are you going to think they are posing? Does it cross your mind they might be training for something?!

Oh and I do have a krab hanging outside my rucksack permanently as I use it to hang my water bottle because I want it handy, not inside the backpack just because I am worried someone is going to think I am posing. And my water bottle is an army 58-pattern. And no I have never been to the army; I just tend to like the stuff for being so useful and practical. And no I am not a very experienced climber either but the krab was doubtful and I thought it would be a good retirement for it.

And yes there might be the many posers around but hey it's all part of the sport and people will always be people and if we were all equal the world would not evolve much. I just think let posers be posers and in the end everyone is happy. They are "happy" because people are looking at them and people are "happy" because they have something to look at and in case of this forum, we all have something to rant about...

I once used to criticise maybe more than I should but I have come to the conclusion that everyone is entitled to be themselves and as long as that doesn't hurt anyone I don't see what's the fuss about...

And I think some people use a krab or hex as key ring because when they are not climbing it reminds them of great things and they feel better throughout monotonous days.

I have a reserve pin hanging on my neck most of the time because it reminds me of great times and somehow every day I see it and feel it I feel closer to the weekend when I can go flying.

siobhan66 05 Aug 2011
In reply to ritid:
I just have to add to this...a good few years ago we were having a pint in the Sligachan hotel bar on skye and at about 10pm in came a guy with a full rack on,swinging about and making a racket... he marched up to the bar and ordered a drink !! He was either taking the utter p or had walked out the long 3.5 miles from Sgurr nan Gillean after traversing the ridge! I have to agree with you take your gear off once its safe to do so and put it away!!
 stonewall 05 Aug 2011
In reply to Offwidth:

yes he was/is a funny chap. what happened to him?
 Wingnut 05 Aug 2011
In reply to ritid:
I once managed to get halfway home from the Peak with my helmet still on . . . it was a very lightweight one and I genuinely forgot to take it off. I think the train had just left Derby when someone pointed it out . . .
 atlantis 05 Aug 2011
In reply to ritid:

Because they're tw*ts.

Trust me you get some of them on here too, not just outdoors
ice.solo 06 Aug 2011
In reply to Gaston Rubberpants:
> (In reply to julianwedd) What about "Why are some attention seekers climbers?"
>
agree. a possibly more interesting angle.
Anonymous 06 Aug 2011
In reply to julianwedd:
> (In reply to ritid)
>
> "why are some climbers attention seekers?" Perhaps the daftest forum post title I've ever seen.

You do realise that the thread title has been 'moderated'?

The original title was considerably blunter. (And much more appropriate, IMHO)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...