UKC

Can you identify this crag? - Peak District

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
philbrynmaen 09 Aug 2011
Last week I was on a business trip and stayed at the new Peak Edge Hotel (Red Lion) not far from Chesterfield. Very close-by there's a house built right up against an outcrop. Finished work early so I thought I'd check out the area of woodland - think it's called Stone Edge Plantation. Just up from a padlocked gate (and a private sign) there's a crag about 25ft at it's highest with a pinnacle at the top. Looks like it might sport a couple of routes.
Will be back there is a couple of weeks. Can anyone tell me anything about this place? Thanks for any advice.
bomb 10 Aug 2011
In reply to philbrynmaen:

Its called stone edge, its in the froggat bmc guide. It pretty shite, you're best of driving a few minutes south and going to eastwood/turning stone/cocking tor. The routes are sort of ok, but honestly? I wouldn't bother.
 Offwidth 10 Aug 2011
In reply to bomb: Wash you mouth out! Clean south facing climbing with a one minute walk in is ideal for a quick fix.
bomb 10 Aug 2011
In reply to Offwidth:

I suppose it could be worse, but its a bit close to the swastika filled quarry behind for my liking.
philbrynmaen 10 Aug 2011
In reply to bomb: thanks for info bomb, simondgee and Offwidth. Will pack my rock boots for next visit! Does the guidebook say anything about access? I went into the wood at the far end and saw plenty evidence of mountain biking - only came across the pinnacle by chance. I saw the "Private" sign on exiting to the road.
 Ropeboy 10 Aug 2011
In reply to philbrynmaen:

I had a very pleasant morning there, good clean rock. Took a mat and solo'd the crag, lovely little venue for the esoteric rock hunter.

J
 Offwidth 11 Aug 2011
In reply to philbrynmaen: Access may well be a problem so keep a low profile (I'd strongly advise no groups) and if challenged apologise and leave. I've been about 5 times and I always parked avoiding blocking the gate and never had a problem (and its hard to hide at the top of the pinnacle!). Also a good choice for a quick climb after work followed by a pint, parking in the pub car-park. The quarry behind is super-manky so don't bother exploring.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...