UKC

MOT and snow tyres

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ropeboy 11 Aug 2011
I'm looking after my brothers car while he's away working abroad. Last time he was home was in the winter and he put some snow tyres on while we had the snow.

Question is; it's due it's MOT and they're still on, are they legal for an MOT or do I need to get some normal tyres put on? If I get a chance I'll get a 2nd set of wheels and then I can keep the snow tyres/wheels in the garage.

Cheers,

J
 D_Wills 11 Aug 2011
In reply to Ropeboy:
Fine for mot, but will wear out quickly in warm weather
 Dave80 11 Aug 2011
In reply to Ropeboy: I've just MOTd mine and its still got snow tyres on and didn't have any problems.
That reminds me.... I really need to get a spare set of rims and put my summer tyres on them so I can change them myself
OP Ropeboy 11 Aug 2011
In reply to Dave80:

Thanks guys!

Yeah, I need to sort him out a second set of rims too!!

J
 CurlyStevo 11 Aug 2011
In reply to Ropeboy:
they may invalidate your insurance though (in both summer and winter!!!)
 stevev 11 Aug 2011
In reply to CurlyStevo:
> (In reply to Ropeboy)
> they may invalidate your insurance though (in both summer and winter!!!)
Only if you change the rims from alloy to steel.

or if you crash in summer with inappropriate winter tyres fitted.

They are designed to be used in the cold, anything over 7deg and your safer on summer tyres

stevegh 11 Aug 2011
In reply to stevev:
Thats not quite strictly true regarding temp range nowadays. For the old standard winter tyres then that was pretty correct but now quite a few manufacturers are marketing all weather/winter tyres and there is no difference. What dictates mileage is the silica content.

I had a set of Michelin Pilot sports fitted to my Audi and the RS4 and they were lethal in anything more than damp. I found out later from the Michelin rep that they were not suitable for all year use!!!!

I think with al the issues of last winter most insurance companies are reasonable providing you tell them and the tyres are correctly speed rated and CE marked.
 rasilon 11 Aug 2011
In reply to Ropeboy:
Depends what you mean by snow tyres... If you mean normal-ish rubber, but designed for the winter, then you should be fine so long as they're rated correctly for the summer, but if you mean studs, then no, they'll have to go.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...