UKC

Lets talk train sets!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wilkie14c 13 Aug 2011
Watching a docu today about the travelling post office <TPO> and the automated collection and delivery of mail bags had me reminising. I had the TPO Hornby train set when I was a lid. I started with an 8x4 chipboard base and the freight set. It was a class 31 and 4 or 5 wagons, then I added the HST set then I got the TPO set. Built tunnels and hills and stuff from chicken wire and papermashe and had stations, sidings etc. Pretty cool at the time, the model shop in Derby at the time stocked wagons, stock and buildings in a kind of airfix format so it was pocket money friendly and fun. I remember that at the time, while the sets were cheap the assessories were very expensive in comparison <Hornby> Funny thing is, I can't remember what happened to the layout, Perhaps its still behind me mams wardrobe! Oh, BTW it was 00 gauge. I always wanted an N gauge to play with though, twice as much track for half the space!
 Greenbanks 13 Aug 2011
In reply to blanchie14c:

We fell into two opposing factions: Hornby versus Triang. The latter looked cheap & nasty by comparison...
 Yanis Nayu 13 Aug 2011
In reply to blanchie14c: And now you're living the dream!
OP wilkie14c 13 Aug 2011
In reply to wayno265:
didn't have to deal with union reps when I got me set out though, the worse that could ever happen was if my mum didn't make my tea!
Bellie 13 Aug 2011
In reply to blanchie14c: All my old stuff is at the parents boxed up and gathering value in the loft!

I used to like the self assemble printed cardboard accessories. Made a great station and signal box, and a engine shed if I recall. I had a book of track layouts - and used to save up pocket money to buy more track.

Ahh those were the days.

00 gauge here too. LNER stock + lots of goods carriages. I was given an old hornby engine which actually puffed smoke.
 mole2k 13 Aug 2011
In reply to Bellie:

Metcalfe Models do a fantastic array of cardboard models that really do build up to a very high standard in the right hands.

http://www.metcalfemodels.com/
OP wilkie14c 13 Aug 2011
In reply to mole2k:
Very impressive too. I bought a young relative a 'meccano' clone kit last week, it was a dragster or a beach buggy, the kit made either one or the other. It were only 8 quid too. The result? No interest what-so-ever. I can only guess that because it didn't take batteries or have flashing lights it wasn't appealing to your average 8 year old. I had fun making the cars anyway!
 ebygomm 13 Aug 2011
In reply to blanchie14c:

I got the lego trainset out at Christmas, lots of fun

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ebygomm/5297752652/in/photostream/

I take no responsibility for the Eastenders Christmas special playing in the background.
 mole2k 13 Aug 2011
In reply to blanchie14c:

I work in a model shop and we would find meccano quite a slow seller there just doesn't seem to be that much of an interest in it these days. However there is still a healthy interest in Airfix kits which is nice to see that model making isn't seen as a totally dead hobby, it's one of the few that has managed to stay true to it's roots while other forms of model making have became more about the end product than the modelling.

Hornby buildings for example, hornby have their own range called Skaledale which are fantastically detailed buildings in a wide range of settings but it along with their track mat designs tends to just lead to people building up a railing in several easy steps and never have to do any actual modelling.

I sound like quite a grumpy old man for a 27 year old now!
OP wilkie14c 13 Aug 2011
In reply to ebygomm:
Can't see that vid at work but I'll take a sqizz tomorrow.
Mole, I got my dad-in-law a 1000 piece jigsaw last week, its a photo of a great big pile of airfix kits! I made quite a few of them too inc evey boys fave, the Lancaster. I also built the flying fortress too and my dad spayed it sliver at work, it looked awesome
 Postmanpat 13 Aug 2011
In reply to blanchie14c:

I've just seen that a Hornby "Golden Fleece" A4 Mallard class locomotive which I assume my mother threw out when I left home is going 2nd hand for £350!!
OP wilkie14c 13 Aug 2011
In reply to Postmanpat:
Ouch, like my USS Enterprise with all the laser 'discs' it fired - I attempted an orbit from bedroom window that didn't go to plan. They are worth a bit now too. James Mays 'toy stories' about the train sets puts perpective on it all. He attended an auction and bough some old train set just so he could open the box and play with it, much to the horror of the other auction goers
 Postmanpat 13 Aug 2011
In reply to blanchie14c:

My Lancaster bomber which burst into flames upon impact (with a it of help) and my Bismark that sank in the bath might be worth a bit
 teflonpete 13 Aug 2011
In reply to Postmanpat:

I had the 1:24 Spitfire, Me109 and a Harrier (the Harrier might have been 1:32, I can't remember). I think they all met the .22 BSA Meteor in the end :0)
 Postmanpat 13 Aug 2011
In reply to blanchie14c:

I also had a Hornby O guage clockwork train set. I guess that got thrown out as well
Don Abad 14 Aug 2011
In reply to blanchie14c:

I used to be responsible for the computers running the Jubilee Line (extension), when on shift.
Train set and CCTV of a large part of London.
Unfortunatly the set was planned by politicians and had to be working by Jan 2000 whether the software was ready or not. Was such a success that after three years they were already planning it’s replacement (didn’t fulfull the requirement of Canary Wharf who was actually paying the bills).
What a waste of public money.
OP wilkie14c 14 Aug 2011
In reply to Don Abad:
I'm a depot manager for a TOC and confime your frustrations, its mainly attempting to achive modern aims with a 60 year old train set made by triang
 Clarence 14 Aug 2011
In reply to blanchie14c:

My restraints snapped a couple of years ago and I bough myself a cheap interior door from Wickes along with a couple of trestles. A trip to the model shop later I had several scale miles of n-gauge track, a BR blue class 37 locomotive, six blue & grey coaches, an 08 shunter and a dozen assorted vans, coal hoppers and tank wagons. I nearly have a finished layout now, although progress on scenery tailed off as soon as I had a loop of double track and a tunnel in place (so freudian!). My locomotive and rolling stock is now approaching ridiculous levels and I have to hide new wagons as they arrive. As guilty pleasures go, you can't beat a bit of n-gauging...
Knitting Norah 14 Aug 2011
In reply to blanchie14c:

Haven't a clue what make or scale it was (or is because my sister still has it in her attic somewhere) but we had quite a large gauge clockwork train set when we were kids. We had a large front room which we had as a play room and we would build areas using the furniture and blankets so that we created a scene with hills and tunnels. Then when we got everything running the cat would hide underneath and knock the train off as it passed!

No excuse for not knowing the details apart from the fact that were a family of girls who just played with it.
OP wilkie14c 15 Aug 2011
In reply to Knitting Norah:
Sounds like O gauge as it were the only type girls could work properly

Pete Ford 15 Aug 2011
In reply to blanchie14c:
There was a lad where I used to be a trades union official who had a few health problems and ended up being evicted from his flat. We helped him secure another property, and he asked if we would help him move his gear. He took us into the bedroom and there were over 800 boxed 'Airfix' and 'Frog' model kits stretching over a period of, say, thirty years. He would have made a few quid if he had sold them as I would think many were out of production and quite rare collectors items. Why he had bought them I have no idea.

Pete
 MHutch 15 Aug 2011
In reply to Pete Ford:

I briefly toyed with the Hornby starter set back in the 80s. I knew I wasn't cut out for a life of modelling when I got more fun electrocuting slugs by laying them across the track and turning up the power. I gave this up after using my electronics kit to connect them to the mains, causing a small explosion in the process.
 thin bob 15 Aug 2011
In reply to MHutch: Cruel electric -abusing man!...much worse than charging up industrial capacitors and playing catch with them.
Which we never did, obviously

Never really 'got' model trains as a kid. I still don't, though i do help out at a local junior-infants school where my mates daughter goes...we set up a 20' x 12' painted sheet on the tables and run tracks all over the place, the guy's got tonnes of stuff! There's usually a little group of Dads fiddling around with stuff and talking about their childhood sets

The kids love it! even the little'uns of 3 or 4. Though they are quite keen on trying to eat the scenery and derailing stuff as well

disappointed that there aren't any ascents or descents and a spiral one round a mountain would be excellnt.
 wercat 15 Aug 2011
In reply to Postmanpat:

I got a small hornby set up allegedly for learning potty use, but as I was far too young to play with it I think I know who it was really for!

Later had the Golden Fleece and it is still somewhere with a burnt out motor thanks to younger brother, a bit tatty. Have had a number of arguments with surprising number of know alls saying that Hornby never made a metal Golden Fleece.

Blue Straggler 15 Aug 2011
In reply to blanchie14c:

Fleischmann is where it's at, surely?
 Clarence 15 Aug 2011
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Have you seen the T-Gauge stuff? 1:450 scale 3mm gauge - it's really quite mental and magical in equal measures.

http://www.tgauge.co.uk/
 Graham T 15 Aug 2011
In reply to Clarence: thats like the train version of micro machines. Cool
 Wingnut 15 Aug 2011
In reply to blanchie14c:
For something of an overdose of nostalgic geekery, get yourself to Warley show in the autumn . . . but hand your wallet to the missus before you go in or you'll end up spending *way* too much money!
OP wilkie14c 15 Aug 2011
In reply to Clarence:
WOW, I love it!
 Mikkel 15 Aug 2011
In reply to blanchie14c:

Didn't May actually bin the box, which was what caused a lot of the horror to the collectors?

I loved that part :0)
 thin bob 15 Aug 2011
In reply to Mikkel:
> (In reply to blanchie14c)
>
> Didn't May actually bin the box, which was what caused a lot of the horror to the collectors?
>
> I loved that part :0)

absolutely! it was brillient! I hope they kept the cameras running to catch the geekyheads snaffling the box out of the bin...

Mikkel 15 Aug 2011
In reply to thin bob:

hehe yea could just imagine someone who had the trainset but not the box, would could then go get it, and suddenly become part of the exclusive club by getting it boxed up.
 Postmanpat 15 Aug 2011
In reply to wercat:
> (In reply to Postmanpat)
>
> Have had a number of arguments with surprising number of know alls saying that Hornby never made a metal Golden Fleece.

Ignorant peasants!

KevinD 15 Aug 2011
In reply to thin bob:

> disappointed that there aren't any ascents or descents and a spiral one round a mountain would be excellnt.

in the village where my parents live there is the local district model railway club club house which is a barn on an old farm with a massive model set with mountains and the lot. Every now and again it gets open for an open day and it is an impressive bit of kit even for someone who doesnt get them like you.
 thin bob 15 Aug 2011
In reply to dissonance:
that sounds excellent! seriously, i'd like to see that....
Yrmenlaf 15 Aug 2011
In reply to blanchie14c:

I've got a Hornby clockwork 1½" gauge that used to belong to my Aunty Barbara: must get it out again!

One of the passengers (made from lead, of course) has a suitcase, which you can open. It contains a toy toy trainset.

Y.
KevinD 15 Aug 2011
In reply to thin bob:

> that sounds excellent! seriously, i'd like to see that....

I havent seen that one for a few years but looks like they are still about.
have a google for your area plus model railway clubs I suspect you would find some which have open evenings days for the mildly curious.

There used to be a commercial one in york next to the station but looks like it is closed now.
Knitting Norah 16 Aug 2011
In reply to blanchie14c:
> (In reply to Knitting Norah)
> Sounds like O gauge as it were the only type girls could work properly
>
>

You are probably right, it had the key stuck in the side which ensured we never lost it. The key turned as it wound down as it went along the track. The engine was green and had a sloping front, more like some king of express rather than the usual steam train type. Ha ha as you will have realised I know naff all about trains and train sets. It was just another toy to us three girls.

I did have a cousin who moved house because her husband was mad on trains. They went to live in an old railway cottage in Watlington. There was a large double garage which Ken filled with his railway sets and then he made a couple of holes through the end wall and built a bit on to extend it further. She raised quite a bit of cash when he died by selling it all.
 Jaffacake 16 Aug 2011
In reply to blanchie14c:

Choo Choooooo!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...