UKC

How many pairs of running shoes do you own?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The New NickB 26 Aug 2011
I am off work this week and have been having a good tidy up at home. I have got all my running shoes together in one place and realised that I have 9 pairs in regular use, double that if I include worn out pairs that don't get used for running any longer.

I have
2x Adidas Marathon
2x Adidas Oregon
Adidas Tempo
Adidas Kanadia 2
Inov8 X-talon 212
Salomon Speedcross 2
New Balance XC Spikes

I am sure some of you can beat that.
 Banned User 77 26 Aug 2011
In reply to The New NickB: I rarely throw them out,

currently about 11 or 12 I wear..but some are knackered but I'll still use them for slow trail runs. probably have 3-4 that get used a lot.

1 x walshes
2 x montrail highlanders
2 x talons 190's
1 x bearclaw thingy
1 x racing flat
2 x adidas swoops
2 x road shoe
2 x mizuno wave harriers
In reply to The New NickB:
In current use I have
I have 4 pairs for the winter. (they get wet and take longer to dry)
3 pairs for the summer trail
2 pairs for the road.
1 spare pair road shoes permanently in the car.

That’s 10 pairs.
Then there are another 10 pairs that are in intermittent use as they are partially worn but not yet relegated to gardening.

Then there are probably another 20 pairs of worn out ones that are only suitable for the gardening. (but I do not do much gardening)

Sometimes I get to throwing some away, but only when the emotional attachment has receded.
 Sharp 26 Aug 2011
Instead of having a pile of half wasted shoes why not bung them in the wash as soon as they're no longer suitable for running but still ok and then launch them in one of those charity bins?

Ben
ice.solo 26 Aug 2011

Jeez, im a nonstarter.

Pair of adidas marathons.
Pair of sportiva ultranords.
Pair of crosslites.
Pair of rucky chuckies.
Pair of tnf single tracks.
Pair of newtons.

How do you find the marathons? I got mine in desperation and have been plesanyly surprised.
 SonyaD 26 Aug 2011
In reply to ice.solo: My collection is feeble in comparison too!

1 old pair of Sauconys that I still wear if off road but it's not muddy etc.
1 new pair of Sauconys that I use for road running.
1 pair of Brookes that I bought for road running that didn't agree with me but that are fine for the gym.
I pair of Inov8 Roclites that are battered to buggery but that I can't bear to part with and still use for hillwalking.
I pair of Walshes
I pair of Adidas Kanadias
OP The New NickB 26 Aug 2011
In reply to ice.solo:

I like them, too heavy for racing, but great for highish mileage training. A previous pair of Marathons was my first pair of Adidas road shoes, I now have multiple pairs of Adidas road shoes in various weights (220g Oregons, 270g Tempos and 330g Marathons).
You got me thinking how far I run in said trainers.

I was surprised when I checked, 41893 miles in the last 20 years, that 2000 miles a year average.
Quite a few pair of trainers! I was not so obsessed that I recorded how many I went through, no doubt others will come along to say exactly that.

Ben, you don't understand.

I remember walking through Katmandu in an older pair with holes in the toes, I was regularly accosted by guys in the street wanting to mend them!
 Banned User 77 26 Aug 2011
In reply to MikeYouCanClimb: I do around 2500-now 3000 miles a year since 2006, and reckon 400 miles for a road shoe, 500 max, 300 for a fell shoe, 150 for a light fell shoe. I can get a £100 equipment grant of the council as I'm an international but never both as I buy 10-15 pairs a year. Probably a pair a month.
 JayPee630 27 Aug 2011
In reply to IainRUK:

Jesus, I thought I was the Imelda Marcos of running shoes with 3 pairs:

Road (Inov8 Road-X 233)
Trail pair (Inov8 F-lite 195)
Fell (La Sportiva Crosslite)

And a pair of Vibram Five Fingers for the gym.
 petestack 27 Aug 2011
In reply to Sharp:
> Instead of having a pile of half wasted shoes why not bung them in the wash as soon as they're no longer suitable for running but still ok and then launch them in one of those charity bins?

Dunno about anyone else, but it's the uppers on mine that usually get trashed first with the kind of usage they get round here. And, yes, I keep multiple pairs on the go (got at least a dozen in the house right now, maybe more) and generally buy two (pairs) at a time.
 George Fisher 27 Aug 2011

I own one pair of Mizuno Wave something 9's, these replaced a pair of wave something 7's. I've only owned one pair at a time unless you count some Salomon trail running things that I've never worn for running.

jethro kiernan 27 Aug 2011
In reply to The New NickB: Mizuno wave 13
 Denni 27 Aug 2011

2 pairs of Speedcross 2
2 pairs of XT Wings 2

Salomon just are the dogs nads at the moment for xc trainers.
ice.solo 27 Aug 2011
In reply to Denni:

if only theyd give up on that bloody lace thing.
 Denni 27 Aug 2011
In reply to ice.solo:

I was going to post "they are not too bad and no problems so far" Instead, I have just ordered 2 new sets of them from fleabay because you have now cursed them! :0)
 steveriley 27 Aug 2011
NB 737
Saucony race
Roclite 295
Walsh PB Ultra
Adidas Swoop
Top secret test pair(!)
Puma spikes
Wave Harrier (fear I may left these on a grass verge somewhere)
Cured of hoarding, wash and recyle now.
ice.solo 27 Aug 2011

Im surprised people keep em. Who wants nasty old shoes?

I keep one, at most two, old pairs and chuck the rest - often at the end of runs when they show their best is over.
 SonyaD 27 Aug 2011
In reply to ice.solo: Oh I can't bear to part with my Roclites. They are tatty as feck (worn out sole, holes in the uppers, snapped bits where the laces thread through) But it's like binning rock shoes, sad

and that in itself is probably 'sad' I know :oD

Don't run with them anymore though, but they're ace for hillwalking, if a bit squelchy when it's wet!
 chopin-smith 28 Aug 2011

I have 10 pairs in regular use.....

2x Adizero Tempos -- I have only 500kms on each and they're close to retirement, as I can feel it in the knees after a long run.

2x Adizero Boston 2 -- lightweight trainers. Prefer these now to the Tempos. Good all-round shoe, did my last marathon in a pair.

1x Adizero Ace - light all-rounder, lower profile than the Bostons
1x Adizero Adios - 10K/half racing, may use them in next marathon
1x Adizero Mana 5 - for tempo runs
1x Adizero Rocket - for track workouts
1x Adizero Pro 4 - for track workouts
1x Salomon Speedcross 2 - for trails/x-country

I tend to stick with the Adidas Adizero range as I find they size consistently for me and I get them cheap online regularly (about 50 quid a pair) when they change the colour of the entire range (which is twice a year!!)... I run about 100km a week and don;t tend to get more than 500km out of shoes before my legs tell me it's time to retire them.

I also rotate a lot never wear the same pair two days in a row -- that way I have a little pain spread all over my legs as opposed to a lot of pain in just one place
In reply to chopin-smith:
> I also rotate a lot never wear the same pair two days in a row -- that way I have a little pain spread all over my legs as opposed to a lot of pain in just one place

A good point.

Also, if you have only one pair and wear them down to the end and then change to a new pair the chance of injury due to the transition is much greater.

Lots of pairs in circulation means I gets many more miles out of each shoe than would be otherwise possible (my legs get used to aging cushioning).

In addition, running on different types of terrain allows your legs to get used to a wider variety of surfaces and different styles of shoe.

When my shoes are worn out, they are worn out, uppers or lowers, sometimes both depending usually on type. (why is it my favourite shoes seem to be the least robust though?)

I guess this should answer the critics who think owning lots of shoes is ludicrous.
 fimm 29 Aug 2011

I have

old pair of adidas trainers which feel too worn for running but are still very comforable for walking about in or for the gym
1 pair brooks trainers which are my current training and racing shoes but which definitely need replacing (and which will go in the shoe bank when this happens)
1 pair really old cheap trainers which are for getting manky
1 pair walshes (bought for an off-road race and rarely worn - I wish I'd got something like innov8s as those could be used for easy hill walks instead of my rather heavy walking boots which as sometimes overkill for what I use them for)

I'm fairly sure that is it.

My b/f (who runs a lot more than I do) has 2 pairs of shoes in current use (plus a new piar of trail shoes he is wearing in) but is quite good at hanging onto old pairs instaed of getting rid of them!!
 Paul Atkinson 29 Aug 2011
In reply to The New NickB: oh dear I wish you hadn't made me think about this

Asics Gel Nimbus 13 x 1
Asics Gel Kayano - old pair retired from running, for gym
Asics Gel Trabuco x 1
Inov8 Flyroc x 1
Inov8 Roclite 315 x 2 (1 each end of decay spectrum)
Inov8 Mudroc 330 x 2 (ditto)
Inov8 Mudroc 270 x 1 for shorter races
Patagonia summat or other got half price for fell walking
Asics minimalist shoe - retired after crippling myself

nurse!
OP The New NickB 31 Aug 2011

Need to add another pair to the list

> I have
> 2x Adidas Marathon
> 2x Adidas Oregon
> Adidas Tempo
Adidas Boston
> Adidas Kanadia 2
> Inov8 X-talon 212
> Salomon Speedcross 2
> New Balance XC Spikes
>
> I am sure some of you can beat that.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...