UKC

Kinder Downfall Approach

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mountain Lass 26 Aug 2011
Apologies if wrong forum.

Just walked the 'Pennine Way' approach via Mill Hill, but thought the navigation could be tricky with snow covering the path. Could pace and count (no GPS) but such a pain (Did it before acrross the top of Kinder - sucessful but effortful.)

Any suggestions as to other reasonable approches that would be winter viable? (I'm also wondering about getting the car up snake pass).

Peace
ml
 Jon Greengrass 26 Aug 2011
In reply to Mountain Lass: I parked at the snake inn, crossed the river ashop by the footbridge in woodlands valley, walked up fair brook and then crossed the plateau to the downfall taking frequent compass bearings.

With winter tyres snake pass won't be a problem.
 Fredt 26 Aug 2011
In reply to Jon Greengrass:
> (In reply to Mountain Lass) I parked at the snake inn, crossed the river ashop by the footbridge in woodlands valley, walked up fair brook and then crossed the plateau to the downfall taking frequent compass bearings.
>

Definitely the best way, especially if, when you reach the plateau, you take a heading off left of the Downfall so hitting the wide flatbedded Kinder River, which you then simply follow (turn right) to the Downfall.

OP Mountain Lass 26 Aug 2011
In reply to Mountain Lass:

Excellent - thanks guys.

ml
 Danzig 27 Aug 2011
In reply to Mountain Lass: Most take the route up from Bowden Bridge and round the resevior and on up the 'climbers path' (over Hollin Head, past the wood and over Mermaids Pool) to the Falls, the moor and Gates have held a massive amount of snow over the last couple years making the trip a real slog.
 Oceanic 27 Aug 2011
 jimjimjim 27 Aug 2011
In reply to Mountain Lass: you think it'll happen this season then? i've managed to get on it for the past three years. it gets very busy so be prepared for a wait!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...