UKC

NEWS: BMC Gower Climbing Festival 2011 - THIS WEEKEND

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Martin Kocsis, BMC 01 Sep 2011
The 3rd BMC Gower Climbing Festival is being held over the weekend of the 9th – 11th September. It will be based at Pitton Cross Campsite near Rhosilli, not far from Swansea.

The Festival is an opportunity for you to experience what the Gower has to offer on its limestone cliffs and beautiful beaches. There's climbing for everyone, with trad routes ranging from Diff to E8, sport routes from Fr3 to Fr8b, and a handful of bouldering areas too. It will be the 3rd time this very successful event has been run and there are a few new features this year to keep everyone on their toes.

Everyone is welcome, and the event is free of charge. All the information (accommodation, crags, venues) you could ever want about the event is on the festival website (http://www.gowerclimbingfestival.co.uk/)

Locals will be on hand to offer advice and full colour topos for the visitor, as well as providing a free breakfast of bacon/egg butties and endless brews. All in all this is the friendliest festival around, and the company is generally agreed to be welcoming, enthusiastic and slightly mad (in a good way)

Events kick off on the Friday night with a cosy gathering at The Countryman, and things rapidly escalate from there on in. The weather has been ordered well in advance and is predicted to be excellent. Any questions? Please feel free to and ask us here on the thread.

There is also a FarceBook group for the festival, just search for the festival and it'll come up.

UKC NEWS ITEM (With Video):

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=63998
Jon Santarelli 01 Sep 2011
In reply to Martin Kocsis, BMC: Looks good, see you there.
Martin Kocsis, BMC 02 Sep 2011
In reply to Jon Santarelli: The long term forecast from www.yr.no suggests that it's going to be a good Saturday with sunshine and breeze, and a decent sunday with less sun, but also less breeze. Temps about 18 degrees C.
 stuwelly85 03 Sep 2011
In reply to Martin Kocsis, BMC:

Pitton Cross Camping update: when booking ahead make sure you mention the BMC to get the discount and to put your tent in the same part of the field.

Also dogs are welcome, but you need to phone up ahead.

Electric hooks ups are available at £3 a night (+£6 for staying on site per person)
Martin Kocsis, BMC 05 Sep 2011
In reply to stuwelly85: Thanks to all those who have emailed about the grades at the Gower. If you want sub 6b sport or sub VS climbing there's plenty to go at. The locals will be on hand to advise you of where and what's best...come along and get stuck in!
 stuwelly85 05 Sep 2011
In reply to Martin Kocsis, BMC:

Infact I've just finished a new topo which looks at trad climbing from Diff to HVS mainly S, and new sport climbing 4+ to 6b! Walkable from the campsite!
 birthers 05 Sep 2011
In reply to stuwelly85:
Possibly a stupid question, but do you have to be in the BMC to go along to the festival?
 scott titt 06 Sep 2011
In reply to birthers:
To quote from the OP "Everyone is welcome,".....
Martin Kocsis, BMC 07 Sep 2011
In reply to birthers: Like the man says...everyone is welcome. Weather looking good, bacon ordered.
pavolg1 07 Sep 2011
Space in the car???

Hi anybody going to the festival and might have space for 1 person and my dog hopefully??? Please let me know I lice in Salford M37LB but I can come anywhere within Central Manchester to meet up... If anybody want to go early saturday morning I'm up for it too....

Pls let me know if anyone have space fom me.

Thanks

Pavol
 mloskot 08 Sep 2011
In reply to Martin Kocsis, BMC: I'm really looking forward to joining the festival and climbing in Gower, both for the veryfirst time.

I booked space at Pitton Cross Campsite was but there may be/is one issues which I'd like to raise here.
The nice lady at Pitton Cross informed me that I have to arrive before 9:30pm on Friday, before the campsite closes.

AFAIK, the festival does not take place every month, but it's annual event, so perhaps it wouldn't be any hassle for the campsite management to extend the opening hours until 10:30-11:00 on this particular Friday only.

I guess there will be many of us travelling to Gower on Friday from remotish locations and after work. I will be travelling from South East
myself.

So, for me it's either to leave work very early and taking off to Gower around 4:30pm
or arrive late and do wild camping from Friday to Saturday (the organisers advised to not to do it, what I'd like to respect)
or go to Gower on Saturday at 5am, arrive a bit knackered and try to enjoy the Saturday...
none of these sounds convenient in any way, I guess.
I think many of attenders might have similar concerns.

Here is my call to the organisers, perhaps you wouldn't mind and would be willing to negotiate with the campsite management to extend the opening hours. It's only one time in a year, like Christmas. It would be awesome if it's possible.

Cheers,
Mat
 Dan Lane 08 Sep 2011
In reply to mloskot:

I've showed up at about 11pm before now at Pitton Cross, just pitch your tent quietly and tell the owners first thing in the morning that you arrived last night.
 mloskot 08 Sep 2011
In reply to Dan Lane: That sounds good and quite...typical for campsites in UK, what I really like

My concern is motivated by experiences from Provance, in France, where campsites close around 7:30-8:00pm, but close literally, with tall locked gate

Thanks,
Mat
Martin Kocsis, BMC 08 Sep 2011
In reply to mloskot: Hi Mat, not sure about the campsite closing at 9.30pm...I don't see how that would work if people are at the pub/travelling. Perhaps she got her wires crossed. Every time I've been there we've had unhindered access to the campsite even into the early hours after a bit of a session at the pub...you'll be fine...the barriers don't go down!

See you tomorrow.
 mloskot 08 Sep 2011
In reply to Martin Kocsis, BMC: Great. Big thanks!
 stuwelly85 08 Sep 2011
In reply to mloskot:

Hiya, yes as others have said, not been a problem arriving quietly later than that.

Further update: Pitton Cross minibus run Friday night at 8pm. Apologies for those travelling that wont make 8! Saturday night will have another minibus run for the evening.

See you there!
Martin Kocsis, BMC 12 Sep 2011
In reply to stuwelly85: Despite the dreadful forecats and the thunder, lightning and rain, 30 people turned up, were fed and then went climbing at over half a dozen venues. They did new routes, reclimbed old favourites and had a pretty great and sociable time. Thanks to everyone who made the effort to come, and well done to Stu Llewellyn, whoses love child this festival is.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...