UKC

Dubstep - what's it all about?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tony the Blade 02 Sep 2011
Just downloaded the latest Nero album - is that Dubstep or just trance with a twist?

Is there any really good Dubstep I can access?

I'm 46 years old but this sound seems to be crossing age barriers - I have frinds into it and my son (20yo) loves it.
 Jay81 02 Sep 2011
In reply to Tony the Blade:

It's about bass, innit.
 Graham T 02 Sep 2011
In reply to Tony the Blade: I found the best way to find some good dubstep is to listen to annie mac tonight at 7 on radio 1. Its one of the few things I found can listen to on radio 1 now
 Scarab9 02 Sep 2011

I'm 28 and a bit lost with it! Then again I'm more of a metaller.

Is it me or does every dance type track that comes out get called dubstep now?

To me it's all just dance and after that I get confused...
 Wft 02 Sep 2011

Nero is accessible and the trance sound helps this cause. Most less known Dubstep is actually a bit harsh to listen too and/or basic in its approach, which is what a lit of people lije (see egothieves.com for their mixes of all things new and happening)

I used to like it but then a friend introduced me to the subtlties of techno and minimal, haven't looked back
 Mr Fuller 02 Sep 2011
In reply to Tony the Blade: Confused by dance music?
http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/ Unfortunately, it doesn't include dubstep...
In reply to GuyVG:

Ah now you see, there's the rub... I'm coming from a minimal tech stance myself. Coming at it, as so many others did, from the proggy sound of the 90's (Digweed et al).

I like the bass sound of dubstep, but not really into the trance sound.
 Ramblin dave 02 Sep 2011
In reply to Tony the Blade: I got into it in about 2006, but the sound then was a bit different from what's in the charts now: kind of moody, deep, minimal stuff that was somewhere between the introspective depth of really minimal dubby techno and the rudeboy energy of UK garage with proper trouser-flapping bass like you get at a dub night. And the atmosphere at the nights was generally good - everyone was relaxed and friendly but seriously into the music.

It's quite annoying that these days the term is mostly used for in-your-face commercial electro-house with a slightly grindy bassline...
 winhill 02 Sep 2011
>
> I'm 46 years old but this sound seems to be crossing age barriers - I have frinds into it and my son (20yo) loves it.

FFS at that age you should have been down at the Proms swaying gently to some patriotic anthems.

Grow up.
In reply to winhill:

hahaha - that's what my lad said!

Here, try this... youtube.com/watch?v=82E-Xamx7YI&

I'm subscribed to Soundcloud if anyone has a link to the good stuff? cheers
 winhill 02 Sep 2011
> (In reply to winhill)
>
> hahaha - that's what my lad said!
>
> Here, try this... youtube.com/watch?v=82E-Xamx7YI&

Been meaning to ask,which college is your boy at?
In reply to winhill:

Ahem - Cambridge dear boy*

He's finally decided on Zoology (yes, an ology!). Fingers crossed he'll stick it out.

*Anglia Ruskin University, Cambridge
 winhill 02 Sep 2011
> (In reply to winhill)
>
> *Anglia Ruskin University, Cambridge

Phew, my daughter's at King's.
In reply to winhill:

Good effort - First year? If so, double good effort given the fee situation next year!

Compo 02 Sep 2011
In reply to Tony the Blade: Try Darkstar, Skream (2nd Album Outside the box),Burial. For me Dubstep has much in common with 90s Triphop like Massive Attack and Portishead.

I'm not sure I buy into Dubstep as a fully independent genre - it seems to be being exploited as a very cheap way to make remixes and intoduce credibility to uncredible artists.

For me many of the best dubstep tracks are remixes. Try checking out Chase and Status remix of Deathe by White Lies - this borders on DnB though. Bassnectar remix of the Pixies - Where is my Mind, Skreams remix of La Roux - In for the Kill. Jakwob remix of Ellie Goulding - Under the Sheets.

I suspect we'll look back and on ballance see Dubstep as the 2010s version of the Jazz Flute - provides some interesting variation but ultimately a little unfulfilling.

If you really stretch the genre then The XX count. A truly terrific album, and Gill Scott Heron's - I'm New Here. But this may be stretchin it a bit.

Radio 1 takenote. Just cause a track has Dubstep credentials does not make it cool or good. Vastly overhyped.
In reply to Compo:

So in combination at your suggestion, I now have Massive Attack dubstepped* by Bassnectar!

I like this!

*made up word
 Andy Moles 02 Sep 2011
In reply to Ramblin dave:

Agree. I'd like to hear more good bass/dubsteppy stuff, can we get some more recommendations?

I'll submit:

ital tek - Cyclical, Midnight Colour
Shackleton - Fabric 55
Mt Kimbie - Crooks & Lovers
Mary-Ann Hobbs - Evangeline (compilation)
Burial - any/all (newish EP is good)
Flying Lotus - Cosmogramma
Deadbeat - Roots and Wire

Ramblin dave 02 Sep 2011
In reply to Andy Moles:
Off the top of my head, old stuff I love:
Mala - Bury The Bwoy, Learn
Digital Mystikz - Anti War Dub
Skream - Midnight Request Line, Tapped
Mark Ashken - Roots Dyed Dark (Skream remix)
Loefah - System, Goat Stare
Pinch - Qawwali
LV - Globetrotting
Coki - Burnin
Kode 9 and Spaceape - 9 Samurai, Backward
Shackleton - pretty much anything, really.
 sgl 02 Sep 2011
In reply to Andy Moles:
Pearson Sound/Ramadanman
Ben UFO (DJ sets worth seeking out)
Hessle Audio (record label)
Scuba
Joy Orbison
Martyn
Addison Groove
Rustie
D-Bridge
Peverelist
Applepips (record label)
Ikonika
Cooly G
Didgital Mystikz
Kryptic Minds
Pinch
James Blake
Instramental
Alot of this stuff goes beyond the remit of 'traditional' dubstep but that's what the best and most forward thinking music in this area is doing (I think).

Ramblin dave 02 Sep 2011
In reply to sgl:
This is all cracking stuff as well!
 Kimono 02 Sep 2011
Mt Eden has made some nice stuff...good D'n'B as well
 winhill 02 Sep 2011
> (In reply to winhill)
>
> Good effort - First year? If so, double good effort given the fee situation next year!

No just starting third but it's languages so it's a four year course.
 Jiduvah 02 Sep 2011
In reply to Tony the Blade: In my opinion you can't listen to dubstep without some massive bass. You can probably just about do it at home with the right set up but you can really appreciate it in a club.

I just can't listen to it otherwise, it sounds so boring
 Wft 02 Sep 2011
In reply to Tony the Blade: aye, at volume even the log tunes are good because it bypasses your taste and taps your spine
 anomm 02 Sep 2011
In reply to Tony the Blade: Two words... CHASE & STATUS
 last ascent 20 Sep 2011
In reply to Tony the Blade: mixes of dubstep tunes I like here - http://soundcloud.com/miso-soup-1
 Nigel R 20 Sep 2011
In reply to Jiduvah:
> (In reply to Tony the Blade) In my opinion you can't listen to dubstep without some massive bass. You can probably just about do it at home with the right set up but you can really appreciate it in a club.
>

Just do it in your car like most of the wankers round here seem to

bradholmes 20 Sep 2011
In reply to Tony the Blade: Skrillex,Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites. It's like Optimus Prime does Dubstep, simples.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSeNSzJ2-Jw&ob=av3e
 bradholmes 20 Sep 2011
In reply to Tony the Blade: For something a bit more chilled, trippy and quite melodic, Mt Eden is good, one of my favourites, just simply a great track:

youtube.com/watch?v=FDYIdBZUl2Y&
RichGrundy 20 Sep 2011
In reply to Jiduvah:
I totally agree with you on this, dubstep out in a club with a decent sound system is so much better than on your laptop speakers at home. You have to be able to feel the bass as well as hear it.

If anyone is in London, FabricLive on a Friday night is a good one!

"Fabric is of the first night clubs in Europe to have a dance floor call “bodysonic.” This is a night club were the crowd can literally shake the dance floor to create a beat, only because the floor is hooked up to 400 bass transducers to pump the music out into the dancers bodies by their feet."
RichGrundy 20 Sep 2011

And as for some artists check out:
Magnetic Man
Sub Focus
Bar9
Chasing Shadows
Emalkay
Plastician (Check out his "Sound That Speak Volumes" mixes)
Excision
Doctor P
Trolley Snatcha
Flux Pavilion
Nero
Joker
Caspa
Foreign Beggars
16Bit
Datsik
Camo & Crooked
Rusko
Loadstar
Joker
Chase & Status
Modestep

ps. Apologies for the double post

Quarryboy 20 Sep 2011
I'm obsessed with Dubstep and all you need to know is that its all about

The DROP!!!
 Quarryboy 20 Sep 2011
In reply to bradholmes: Skrillex is straying more towards electronic house with a Dubstep theme

Knife party are the shiz in that department! youtube.com/watch?v=A2GSyQBdeEQ&

As far as epic drops though it doesn't get much better than Butch Clancy! youtube.com/watch?v=WYRfUcRKmqo&
RichGrundy 20 Sep 2011
In reply to Quarryboy:
Epic drop for me is summed up perfectly by this:
youtube.com/watch?v=Qh7A8LW-NbE&

ITS TETRIS!!!
RichGrundy 20 Sep 2011

Radio 1xtra at the moment is pretty sick too:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/bbc_1xtra
 bradholmes 21 Sep 2011
In reply to Quarryboy: Cheers for those, that Butch Clancy track is great.
 Cypher 21 Sep 2011
In reply to Ramblin dave: Bingo.

I'm sick of people following Benga on Twitter and suddenly thinking they know everything there is to know about Dubstep.

I mean, you ask most of those people who Digital Mystikz or Distance or any of those pioneers, and they get a blank look.

They're usually the same people who deny that any dubstep song without LFO (basically the wobwobwobwobwob) isn't worth listening to.

Personally, going through the more grimy stuff, I often find myself listening to Mt. Eden, or Burial, or even newer less known guys like Blackmill. Hell, one of his songs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUnpu1w_HI8) is most played on my iPhone and he doesn't even have a record contract, melodic dubstep, really fresh.
 sophiecb 21 Sep 2011
In reply to Quarryboy:

and the wobble bass
kimma 21 Sep 2011

Didn't think I would see a thread on dubstep when I joined UKC!

Just remember - the most important think about dubstep is how it makes you move: youtube.com/watch?v=4yVLWTsNf_8&

And FYI - anybody sees DJ Yoda's tour heading their way, check it out, it has some immense dubstep breaks.
 nawface 21 Sep 2011

check this. Dbridge, not dubstep in the classic sense but dam good.

http://uploaded.to/file/w349a2
 crispy 21 Sep 2011
In reply to nawface: I know it's not dubstep but this makes me laugh everytime!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8grzRgQ_AWY&feature=youtu.be
 bradholmes 21 Sep 2011
In reply to crispy:
> (In reply to nawface) I know it's not dubstep but this makes me laugh everytime!
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8grzRgQ_AWY&feature=you...

Err, like, do you think you could hook me up with some of what they smoked?

Actually, could you hook me up with ALOT..........

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...