UKC

Eagle Ridge, Lochnagar

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SonyaD 02 Sep 2011
Was toying with the idea of doing this on Sunday. Only problem is, is that the weather forecast for Saturday is utterly dire, ie pissing it down!

Does anyone know how quickly this route dries after a day of heavy rain? And whether it's pretty grim climbing it when it's damp?
 andyinglis 02 Sep 2011
In reply to Sonya Mc: If its sunny and breezy on sunday then I would think it worth a punt. Most of the rock will be dry although there are a few spots that might seep a little....Enjoy your day out, its a fun route!

Andy
 StuDoig 02 Sep 2011
In reply to Sonya Mc:
Hi Sonya,
When I did it the first time, it rained (lightly) from early evening through the night and drizzle stopped about the time we started walking in from the queens bothy. Prob took us about 2hrs to get to the base of the route and we found it pretty much dry. A wee bit damp in the back of the first couple of pitches but that was the worst of it.

It was fairly warm with a decent breeze which seemed to be enough to dry it out.

Based on that I'd say if Sunday morning looks fine it's worth a look.

Cheers,

Stu
OP SonyaD 02 Sep 2011
In reply to Sonya Mc: Thanks folks. According to latest forecast, it's going to rain heavily on Sat morning/early afternoon then ease off to light showers later in afternoon, hopefully dry through the night. Sunday looks light on the wind front and dry until later in the day. Might go for it!
 Aly 02 Sep 2011
In reply to Sonya Mc: Saturday's forecast from MWIS doesn't look too bad at all for the Eastern 'gorms, and given that a lot of the cairngorms rock seems to be surprisingly dry at the moment you may well get away with it fine. It's supposed to be easily climb-able in the wet anyway, and if sunday is dry it will probably be good apart from the initial couple of pitches. Go for it, it's a fantastic route!
In reply to Sonya Mc: Don't know about the drying time, but do know it's pretty tough in the wet Sonya
OP SonyaD 02 Sep 2011
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com: Won't be climbing if it's wet wet, but shouldn't be *too* much harder if it's only the first couple of pitches that have some damp spots.
 Mike-W-99 02 Sep 2011
In reply to Sonya Mc:
Watch out for gravel and dirt on your feet, almost had a nasty incident on pitch 2 with feet slipping.
In reply to Sonya Mc: You'll be right
OP SonyaD 02 Sep 2011
In reply to Mike_Watson_99: Haha! ALWAYS wipe your feet on your trousers before climbing, esp on Granite :oD
 Mike-W-99 02 Sep 2011
In reply to Sonya Mc:
Like climbing on marbles.

Enjoy your day out, esp the crux pitch. And if any hillwalkers are photographing you then track them down, I got a cracker of me on the last pitch with a bit of internet detective work.
 franksnb 02 Sep 2011
In reply to Sonya Mc: I thought it felt about vs with boots on. i wont be getting much if any sun this time of year.
OP SonyaD 02 Sep 2011
In reply to franksnb: Well, I'll be climbing it with rock shoes on, so that's irrelevant! Doesn't need sun on it, just needs to be dry.
 Jamie Hageman 02 Sep 2011
In reply to Sonya Mc: I tried it in big boots in the pooring rain... and failed miserably!
OP SonyaD 02 Sep 2011
In reply to Jamie Hageman: I'm just waiting for someone to say the tried it with rollerskates on ;oP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...