UKC

Bouldering Mats

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 subseasniper 03 Sep 2011
Hey all,

been looking at bouldering mats. The alpkit initially stood out but I am not sure about build quality. Anybody had any good or bad experiences with the Phud.

Also been checking out The Climbing Factory Ground Hog mat which seems comparable in size to the Phud but is about £35 more expensive.

Reviews of these products are hard to find on the interweb so any feedback on user experience with either of these mats would be great.
England2011 03 Sep 2011
In reply to subseasniper: I have the phud and woomf. Havn't had chance to test them out yet because I don't get chance to go outside much and when I do i tend to do normal climbs. They look a good quality though.

I found a lot of reviews when I brought mine. Only ever heard positive feedback and they seemed to stand out as the best boulder pad on the market for that price, being just as good as some of the ones twice the price.
OP subseasniper 03 Sep 2011
In reply to Dan1984: Thanks mate, seen plenty of reviews on the alpkit site which I am always skeptical of. Let me know how you get on using the phud.

Cheers.
England2011 03 Sep 2011
In reply to subseasniper: Same, I always try and avoid looking at reviews on the websites from people selling the gear. I'm sure they just delete the bad ones lol.

Here's a link from an old thread on this site. A few more comments on the alpkit pads.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=454514
 LiamDobson 03 Sep 2011
In reply to subseasniper: I have had the phud for about 2 years, so i actually have the older model than the one they currently stock.

It's massive compared to all my friends and really thats the only problem it is big to carry, and its quite stiff as well.
Though the stiffness is good because it means its long lasting.
All the straps and buckles have all lasted brilliantly and for the price i would definatly recommend it.
 Fraser 03 Sep 2011
In reply to Dan1984:
> (In reply to subseasniper) Same, I always try and avoid looking at reviews on the websites from people selling the gear.

Did you try searching on this site? The question about Phuds gets asked all the time:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/search.php?forum=0&dates=1&na...

Yanis Nayu 03 Sep 2011
In reply to subseasniper: I've got the Alpkit Phud and it's sound, and great value. Alpkit have a very good reputation for decent gear at a good price, and excellent customer service.
In reply to subseasniper: really rate the moon warrior pad i got a few months ago
 hellboundblr 03 Sep 2011
In reply to subseasniper:
I have the big alpkit mat, used it over last 12 mths and been very pleased for the price. Tis big but not heavy and seems reasonable thickness to me. However I dont do loads of bouldering (see log book) and dont climb that hard.
Think mine arrived next day deliv too.
 chers 03 Sep 2011
I have a phud...no complaints
 mloskot 03 Sep 2011
In reply to subseasniper: I use Phud. It is of a decent quality regarding durability, but it's not brilliant regarding cushioning the impact. So, I'd hardly convince myself to climb a roof higher than 2 meters above the Phud.

Actually, there are not many pads that are doing their job well, in my opinion.

I have tried the Ronin Air Pad by Flashed and...it feels like a rocket science applied comparing to the Alpkit Phud. I'm seriously considering to invest in the Ronin. It's easier (and cheaper) to get a proper pad than fix ankle injuries, I guess.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...